BrightBow

Watching just a bit from your video was surprisingly informative. I already took note that your allies are more helpful now but judging by Falco shooting down the battleship in Area Beta, they will still steal your kills in the progress.

Also in Area Beta, you have...

...90 seconds to defeat Wolf before he shoots down Peppy and escapes.

And I love Slippy's reaction to getting shot by Fox in the English dub. Poor Slippy.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching just a bit from your video was surprisingly informative. I already took note that your allies are more helpful now but judging by Falco shooting down the battleship in Area Beta, they will still steal your kills in the progress.

Also in Area Beta, you have...

...90 seconds to defeat Wolf before he shoots down Peppy and escapes.

And I love Slippy's reaction to getting shot by Fox in the English dub. Poor Slippy.

the allies are definitely less please help shoot this guy behind me syndrome. They are still there but it never really happened as frequent as 64 and it also a massive pain especially in some of the mission objectives like in sector Z. It was a nuisance. Thankfully they made it less in this one and there is an incentive to actually save them as it gives you tons of bonus points for your high scores.

yeah I couldn't save peppy in that time

So here's your resident scrub's first foray into story. Played for roughly an hour, and made it through Corneria and Sector a. This is gonna take a while.

- My new catchphrase is "Shut UP Slippy", and I find myself saying this out loud more times than I care to admit.

- I'm going to attempt this arcade-style. . .as in, once I complete a stage, I don't go back until I finish the game. I'll be here for a VERY long time.

- If you die without retrying often enough, there's this little box with the Star Fox Zero logo you can collect, that basically has "you're hopeless" written on it. Once you get that box, you stop taking damage. I suppose this was made for those who really REALLY suck at this game (me), who just want to get through the story. Found this little gem in Sector a, after dying quite a bit. Oh, and you don't get a trophy if you wind up in invincible mode, and I'm okay with this.

- Corneria was fun, and the Phase 2 timing was pretty generous. Glad it was, because I had to use every last bomb to stop the spiders. Still have no idea how I managed to not only get through the level with only one death, and hit silver.

- Now, for controls. . .gotta remember to look UP at the TV, so you can see whether or not Fox is 2 seconds away from being a crispy critter. Managed to get steering/shooting down, and moving the game pad to aim is pretty nifty once you get used to it. I think I need to spend more time looking at the TV, and glance down at the game pad just to correct my aiming.

It's a rough learning experience, but I have no regrets. I'm slightly queasy, but given my history with FPS and the like, I don't feel as bad as I'd expect. Next up: Area 3!

This reminds me, in case you don't know, you can press the minus button to simply swap the two screens.

Here's my home set-up:

TV - decently sized, resolution is utter crap, the picture almost fits on the screen, but it feels like part of it isn't rendered properly

Game pad - great resolution, tiny screen

As fun as it would be to switch 'em, I'd need a better TV to justify it (one that shows everything properly). Thanks for the tip, though~!

So here's your resident scrub's first foray into story. Played for roughly an hour, and made it through Corneria and Sector a. This is gonna take a while.

- My new catchphrase is "Shut UP Slippy", and I find myself saying this out loud more times than I care to admit.

- I'm going to attempt this arcade-style. . .as in, once I complete a stage, I don't go back until I finish the game. I'll be here for a VERY long time.

- If you die without retrying often enough, there's this little box with the Star Fox Zero logo you can collect, that basically has "you're hopeless" written on it. Once you get that box, you stop taking damage. I suppose this was made for those who really REALLY suck at this game (me), who just want to get through the story. Found this little gem in Sector a, after dying quite a bit. Oh, and you don't get a trophy if you wind up in invincible mode, and I'm okay with this.

- Corneria was fun, and the Phase 2 timing was pretty generous. Glad it was, because I had to use every last bomb to stop the spiders. Still have no idea how I managed to not only get through the level with only one death, and hit silver.

- Now, for controls. . .gotta remember to look UP at the TV, so you can see whether or not Fox is 2 seconds away from being a crispy critter. Managed to get steering/shooting down, and moving the game pad to aim is pretty nifty once you get used to it. I think I need to spend more time looking at the TV, and glance down at the game pad just to correct my aiming.

It's a rough learning experience, but I have no regrets. I'm slightly queasy, but given my history with FPS and the like, I don't feel as bad as I'd expect. Next up: Area 3!

I find with the spiders and their red button weakness it helps if you aim charge beams a way above them so it sort of curves down and hits them from above, also when you do have an objective like with the spiders in the tower, or dogfighting, zl is great for finding where they are.

the allies are definitely less please help shoot this guy behind me syndrome. They are still there but it never really happened as frequent as 64 and it also a massive pain especially in some of the mission objectives like in sector Z. It was a nuisance. Thankfully they made it less in this one and there is an incentive to actually save them as it gives you tons of bonus points for your high scores.

yeah I couldn't save peppy in that time

The allies were useful in Sector Z for luring enemies into groups so you could get a sneaky hit +1 or 2 from them, and weakening the missiles so long as you didn't let them kill them

Also as an aside, I've done this since 64, but no idea if it actually works or not, but for some reason braking whilst turning makes me think you turn quicker

For someone who played the 64 version a lot, this game is very nostalgic and new, it's strange.

The new stages are very interesting, and weirdly, I found the Zoness stage, both annoying and fun at the same time. A lot of the things were annoying and yet it kept me on the edge of my seat, and I was thrilled the whole stage.

And Sector B was pretty intense! So many things happening!

Currently, I'm at Fortuna but it's giving a pretty hard time. I died four times already!

Either way, I'm enjoying it more that I though I would! A lot of people are judging this game to quickly. I know I did, and I regret it now that I'm playing it.

EDIT: Since Fortuna was giving me hard time, I decided to try Corneria's second path, thinking it could be easier.

How wrong I was. How very wrong I was.

I. HATE. AQUAROSSA.

I HATE IT WITH ALL MY BEING!!!!

Edited by Water Mage

I. HATE. AQUAROSSA.

It took me a good 5 tries before I got the hang of it. It's definitely one of the worst bosses in the game. Doesn't help that it's the first alt bosses you can fight.

You're not alone in this department.

As a person who doesn't know much about Star Fox outside of Smash Brothers, looking at the Completionist's video makes it look somewhat interesting. While I look at the Completionist's reviews (since I'm somewhat of a Completionist myself), they do toss in other things to make it amusing which may put some viewers off who just want "pure facts, nothing else", despite the reviewer's points.

One of the important things about the review is that if you want the amiibo content, you can unlock that content by completing everything in the game if you don't have the amiibo. Using the amiibo allows you to get it early without having need to "complete" the game.

Here's the video if anyone is curious.

Is Aquarossa a water level?

It's a boss. A very hard boss.

It took me a good 5 tries before I got the hang of it. It's definitely one of the worst bosses in the game. Doesn't help that it's the first alt bosses you can fight.

Took me 11 tries. And I just realized I'll have to fight it again in order to play all stages.

It's one those bosses where there's too much going, the recovery rings are in dangerous places, and you can't afford to stop and get a feel for your bearings because it's timed.

It's just, overall, a very tiresome boss.

Edited by Water Mage

For someone who played the 64 version a lot, this game is very nostalgic and new, it's strange.

The new stages are very interesting, and weirdly, I found the Zoness stage, both annoying and fun at the same time. A lot of the things were annoying and yet it kept me on the edge of my seat, and I was thrilled the whole stage.

And Sector B was pretty intense! So many things happening!

Currently, I'm at Fortuna but it's giving a pretty hard time. I died four times already!

Either way, I'm enjoying it more that I though I would! A lot of people are judging this game to quickly. I know I did, and I regret it now that I'm playing it.

EDIT: Since Fortuna was giving me hard time, I decided to try Corneria's second path, thinking it could be easier.

How wrong I was. How very wrong I was.

I. HATE. AQUAROSSA.

I died enough times against it to get the scrub mode item to appear, but once I learnt that the intervals get shorter once it surfaces it became a lot easier.

My strat was to weaken all 6 on the top before killing more than two, so you can kill the rest all in one swoop, and save all three bombs for the ones on water-level, you have enough time to get close enough time to get in bomb range, destroy them and U-turn before the forcefield starts up again.

Also if whoever was stuck on the gigarilla is still stuck, fly/run through the legs like with the first boss in Lylat Wars (not the carrier), that seems to be the safest way to get behind them.

One last thing, does anybody know what the top right stage on the score screen, only one I've yet to unlock

Also if whoever was stuck on the gigarilla is still stuck, fly/run through the legs like with the first boss in Lylat Wars (not the carrier), that seems to be the safest way to get behind them.

One last thing, does anybody know what the top right stage on the score screen, only one I've yet to unlock

The top right stage is salvadora. You have to play titania and when you see the Portal in that area, you have to go into ship mode with the landmaster. If you activated it correctly, peppy should appear follow you into the portal.

Been playing this game over the weekend. Very awesome. Controls took some getting used to but honestly I think the way they are a more of an asset than a negative particularly for enemies that require precise aiming. Plus I think its awesome how on the game pad you can look around and see whats below you. That's some F-35 shit right there man. I don't know why gamexplain ripped on the replay-ability as I think having access to levels once you unlock them makes me want to go play them even more especially to get collectibles or unlock paths with better mission results.

I've been playing the game more, and I have to say, this the hardest Star Fox game yet! I played 64, Adventures and Assault, and none them compare.

And yet, it's also the most thrilling as well! There many moments in the game that leaves you very tense and nervous! The relief that comes when you complete a stage, especially a hard one, feels amazing.

The bosses, as kingddd said before, are very challenging, unlike the 64 ones where some could be defeated during their introductions!

And some of the regular enemies are not to be understimated. And so many of them!

This game really puts you in the edge of your seat!

However, maybe it's just me, but I wish the laser button was still A like in 64x Not only do I mix it up sometimes and end up tranforming, my right pointer finger is starting to hurt.

Edited by Water Mage

I found a way to record the voice dialogue and this is the line I wanted to record

I've been playing the game more, and I have to say, this the hardest Star Fox game yet! I played 64, Adventures and Assault, and none them compare.
And yet, it's also the most thrilling as well! There many moments in the game that leaves you very tense and nervous! The relief that comes when you complete a stage, especially a hard one, feels amazing.
The bosses are, kingddd said before, are very challenging, unlike the 64 ones where some could be defeated during their introduction.
This game really puts you in the edge of your seat!
However, maybe it's just me, but I wish the laser button was still A like in 64x Not only do I mix it up sometimes and ens up tranforming, my right pointer finger is starting to hurt.

The lasers are changed so the burst firing rate is longer and more rapid. So all you need do is hold and time it instead of rapidly tapping the ZR. It may take a while to get used to it but it works for the better if you can rhythmically time it.

Edited by kingddd

I just played Sector Y, and even though I cleared it on the first try, it's an incredible stressful stage. But so fun to play as well.

It's not really a hard stage, but I imagine if anyone were to watch the stage rather than play it, they would think it's pretty hard.

Anyone else though that Sector Y looked harder than it actually was?

Actually, it's Sector γ. Or Sector Gamma, as the case may be. Unlike in Star Fox 64, the sectors in this game are named after the letters in the greek alphabet.

But yeah, this one is pretty stressful. Especially once these drones start moving all over the Great Fox at high speed. I don't dare to play arcade mode flying by through this sector. May the stage might not be hard but I feel like there is a significant chance of getting unlucky and loosing anyway. Unfortunately if I want to skip this stage by flying over Fortuna, I have to skip Titania and Fichina as well.

What's weird is that when I played the stage for the first time, I had the drones attack the Great Fox two times. But on my second try, they only attacked once. I wonder if there is some kind of dynamic difficulty adjustment going on there.

Edited by BrightBow

Actually, it's Sector γ. Or Sector Gamma, as the case may be. Unlike in Star Fox 64, the sectors in this game are named after the letters in the greek alphabet.

But yeah, this one is pretty stressful. Especially once these drones start moving all over the Great Fox at high speed. I don't dare to play arcade mode flying by through this sector. May the stage might not be hard but I feel like there is a significant chance of getting unlucky and loosing anyway. Unfortunately if I want to skip this stage by flying over Fortuna, I have to skip Titania and Fichina as well.

What's weird is that when I played the stage for the first time, I had the drones attack the Great Fox two times. But on my second try, they only attacked once. I wonder if there is some kind of dynamic difficulty adjustment going on there.

I kind of forgot to use the γ. But I'll refer to it as Gamma since it's more simple.

Anyway, now that you mention it, luck might play a role on this stage.

When I played it, not only the drones attacked the Great Fox twice, the drones also attacked Falco. Did the drones attack the teamates when you played the stage?

Or maybe you destroyed the drone missile before it could attack the Great Fox? Is it even possible?

And it's funny. With the exception of Aquarosa, the most stressful moments in this game were also the most fun.

Sometimes, it feels like Star Fox Zero is the harcore version of Star Fox 64.

Because while the two games are very similar, I don't remember 64 being this stressful. The only stressful moments I can imagine in 64, were Sector Z, Macbeth and maybe Solar.

Edited by Water Mage

I kind of forgot to use the γ. But I'll refer to it as Gamma since it's more simple.

Anyway, now that you mention it, luck might play a role on this stage.

When I played it, not only the drones attacked the Great Fox twice, the drones also attacked Falco. Did the drones attack the teamates when you played the stage?

Or maybe you destroyed the drone missile before it could attack the Great Fox? Is it even possible?

And it's funny. With the exception of Aquarosa, the most stressful moments in this game were also the most fun.

Sometimes, it feels like Star Fox Zero is the harcore version of Star Fox 64.

Because while the two games are very similar, I don't remember 64 being this stressful. The only stressful moments I can imagine in 64, were Sector Z, Macbeth and maybe Solar.

Yes the drones can attack any of the teammates and if you beat the stage before saving them you can get a pretty funny looking mission complete scenes.

TYOo7GJ.jpg

I personally think there was a bit of testing problem with Star Fox Zero in general despite how much I love the challenge in the game there is a bit of issues with its difficulty for the first time player. For example the Attack Carrier in Sector Omega's timing window is a bit too short. Caused quite a bit of frustration for my sister on her first playthrough.

Like you said, the challenge is great, but Zero can be very scary for beginners.

For example, while it was interesting, I think that the drones attacking Pepper's tower was too much for the first stage. And almost every stage has timed events.

There should have been a easy mode.

Maybe it was the constant difficulty without allowing the player to get used to the controls that made the game get bad reviews.

Corneria and Sector Alpha should have been a lot less chaotic.

It's still a great game, but it's not beginner-friendly.

EDIT: I forgot to say this, but that picture made me wish I hadn't destroyed Falco's drone.

Edited by Water Mage

Woah, I have never seen one of those drones attach itself to the others before. This mission is weird. The Assault Carrier was also strange. It's not hard, just tedious. It's a weird choice of a boss, given how fast-paced Sector Omega is otherwise.

Also, the game has some kind of Golden Tanuuki suit thing if you keep loosing, although I haven't seen it yet. Of course, that doesn't help much with timed events.

While the whole dual screen thing gives you more options once you've mastered it, it probably wasn't worth all the downsides. And I don't just mean the high learning curve which I'm sure has hurt the game's sales significantly, but it also means that the console needs to render two different 60 fps images at all times. I'm utterly amazed how good the game looks despite this but If there was no need for a second image, the framerate would be completely stable if nothing else. And I'm sure Platinum would have some cool ideas about how to use those extra resources.

Edited by BrightBow

Woah, I have never seen one of those drones attach itself to the others before. This mission is weird. The Assault Carrier was also strange. It's not hard, just tedious. It's a weird choice of a boss, given how fast-paced Sector Omega is otherwise.

Also, the game has some kind of Golden Tanuuki suit thing if you keep loosing, although I haven't seen it yet. Of course, that doesn't help much with timed events.

While the whole dual screen thing gives you more options once you've mastered it, it probably wasn't worth all the downsides. And I don't just mean the high learning curve which I'm sure has hurt the game's sales significantly, but it also means that the console needs to render two different 60 fps images at all times. I'm utterly amazed how good the game looks despite this but If there was no need for a second image, the framerate would be completely stable if nothing else. And I'm sure Platinum would have some cool ideas about how to use those extra resources.

I really hope this sets as a basis because there is a lot of potential for this game. But the sheer low number stages and lack of unique full fledged levels dampers the experience in the long run. If the game had maybe 3 or 5 more unique planet levels that aren't random minigames slapped in the last second which it seemed like it did in the alternative paths then I think the game would have lasted longer.

What I feel most reviewers negativity should have not been the controls but the amount of content in the game. It has experimentation all over this game since there are tons of mini levels with little to no party banters and the significant amount of training missions you unlock after you have long beaten the game kind of sucks in the long term.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game but this is begging to have an expansion of some kind.

From my limited experience, I think a stage where you can fly around endlessly with the vehicle(s) of your choice would've been perfect. It would help me to get accustomed to the controls, and the moving screen.

I should redo Corneria, just so I don't have as many problems navigating and whatnot.