Game of Thrones (ASOIAF) thread

Alertcircuit

So Game of Thrones Season 6 starts on Sunday and I thought this thread could be a cool thing to have if we wanted to talk about the show or the books.

We can talk about favorite characters, predictions, reactions, theories, anything.

Edited by Alertcircuit

I predict I am going to be mad that I have to keep up with the television show instead of reading the book that Martin should have finished long ago.

Why is this person that doesn't care about me not working hard for my entertainment, this is an outrage

I predict I am going to be mad that I have to keep up with the television show instead of reading the book that Martin should have finished long ago.

Why is this person that doesn't care about me not working hard for my entertainment, this is an outrage

yes, exactly.

would you say affc and dwd are lackluster compared with the first three books? it's what my friend said and i tend to trust his opinion, but i haven't actually read them yet.

I'm currently rereading the books. I'm slow and school is slow so I'm still on book one.

Fun fact: some kid at my table thought I was reading the Bible and attempted to toss it across the room.

I also know someone who looks like Ramsay Bolton and it's the creepiest thing ever.

would you say affc and dwd are lackluster compared with the first three books? it's what my friend said and i tend to trust his opinion, but i haven't actually read them yet.

I haven't read affc and dwd yet but I hear the pace is slower/there's a bit of filler compared to the relatively brisk pace of books 1-3.

Not sure if we want to use spoiler tags or not, it's up to you guys. SPOILERS BELOW just in case.

I thought the episode was really great for the most part, except for Jorah the Explorer just happening to find the ring, and the whole mystery of how the two Sand Snakes got on Trystane's boat. Loved the scenes with Davos and with Sansa.

Spoilers.

Well, they completely nuked Dorne. Completely. Theres no salvaging that, and i just dont even know why they bothered including that whole arc in the show to begin with. They excluded the characters necessary for that plot to even work, so without them, theres nothing.

The final scene with Melisandre was awesome though

I thought the episode was really great for the most part, except for Jorah the Explorer just happening to find the ring, and the whole mystery of how the two Sand Snakes got on Trystane's boat. Loved the scenes with Davos and with Sansa.

To be fair it could have been worse for Jorah finding the ring. At least they established hey a Dragon was here and hey a lot of people on horses surrounded this spot look at that trampled grass.

The end was good. I'm glad they didn't revive Jon on episode 1 like I feel like everyone i know wanted because thats no fun.

And Brienne and Podrick are and will forever be my fave. That scene with them was pretty great.

I haven't read affc and dwd yet but I hear the pace is slower/there's a bit of filler compared to the relatively brisk pace of books 1-3.

Not sure if we want to use spoiler tags or not, it's up to you guys. SPOILERS BELOW just in case.

Key example of how slowly those books are written, Book 3 took too seasons of the show while Books 4 and 5 were adapted in one season. Though some particular aspects of the adaptation *cough* Dorne *cough* were handled pretty poorly.

Spoilers.

Well, they completely nuked Dorne. Completely. Theres no salvaging that, and i just dont even know why they bothered including that whole arc in the show to begin with. They excluded the characters necessary for that plot to even work, so without them, theres nothing.

The final scene with Melisandre was awesome though

Dude. spoiler that shit!

Yeah, Dorne is completely fucked now, I wonder what the sand snake will do with it.

Edited by Blue Druid

Dude. spoiler that shit!

Yeah, Dorne is completely fucked now, I wonder what the sand snake will do with it.

Doesn't seem like something worth spoilering. Unless they literally nuke Dorne at some point.

dorne is written so poorly lol.

Seriously. I have never seen an adaptation more thoroughly fuck with the source material. All the characters involved behaved the exact opposite of how they are portrayed in the novels. They pulled this awful twist solely for shock factor, it's so much more satisfying in the novels for Doran to admit to having a master plan he's kept veiled for decades, as opposed to the garbage we were fed. And this is coming from someone who has never given much credence to the constant complaints about them just trying to shock people.

At least at this point I don't have to worry about having novelized content being overly spoiled for me. I can't think of a character that's still alive --and most dead-- that haven't had their plots completely altered. Maybe Bran? Kind of?

I don't disclose a whole lot about my personal life on Serenes but this is like super brag worthy material that I feel like showing off. I was actually employed as an extra in Game of Thrones last year and the scene with me in it has finally been aired so I can talk about it a bit more openly. Tried embedding the photos but Serenes wouldn't let me. So here's the links.

http://imgur.com/yrJBpDg

That's the line up photo they took of me when I first went to my fitting. Or rather it's a photo of the photo they used. They weren't kind enough to give me a digital copy so I just took the one that was attached to my costume, for the memories.

http://imgur.com/EaOBbSZ

This is the big battle scene towards the end of the season. This shot from the trailer was one of the instances where I was certain I was on camera, which I am, it's just borderline impossible to make me out. I highly doubt there'll be a better shot of me in the episode even though I was there for two weeks!

http://imgur.com/M80xKPT

This scene where the wildlings storm Castle Black was the scene I was in. Took two nights to film it. Must have heard the dialogue in it over a hundred times. The sweeping shot here is a pretty good look at my back.

http://imgur.com/qIp6ltW

This might be a look at my side. I'm not sure. Mainly because it looks like I'm holding a bow when I wasn't. The girl standing on my right was though so maybe it's just poking out in front of me. It was the place I was standing for the majority of takes however.

http://imgur.com/aEJIYtC

This guy here actually has a name, Bowen Marsh. He plays a somewhat important role in the book but I don't think he even got a single line in the show. He is considered an actor though while we were just considered extras. My job was to grab him and drag him away.

http://imgur.com/o9aGnbV

This guy here isn't actually the actor who plays Olly. At least it isn't for the majority of the scene including when he charges. Its a stand in wearing a wig. It looks really good too. I didn't even realise it wasn't him until he brought it up in conversation. The reason they have a stand in is because it was a night shoot and Olly's real actor is under 18 so they can't have him working certain hours.

http://imgur.com/3Vp984w

This is the best shot of me there'll probably be in the entire season. I was actually wearing a fake beard for the scene because they recorded just after my graduation which I shaved for. Of course I didn't mention that to them until I turned up on set!

I also did a third scene set in a camp but I'm pretty sure it'll be cut. It didn't really seem all that important. It was still a really cool experience though. The whole thing was a lot of fun to do and I met some really interesting people. It was also really difficult and could be very repetitive. Each day was at least fifteen working hours long. One day went as far as seventeen hours. It's mainly because they need to get all our costume on and hair done before the camera men are ready to start filming so since we were starting before everyone else we were guaranteed to be working over time every day. Which is good since overtime means extra pay! Though at some points the extra pay didn't seem nearly as desirable as the concept of sleep.

Edited by Jotari

Seriously. I have never seen an adaptation more thoroughly fuck with the source material. All the characters involved behaved the exact opposite of how they are portrayed in the novels. They pulled this awful twist solely for shock factor, it's so much more satisfying in the novels for Doran to admit to having a master plan he's kept veiled for decades, as opposed to the garbage we were fed. And this is coming from someone who has never given much credence to the constant complaints about them just trying to shock people.

I'm fine with the plots being different from the books, but the Sand Snakes are kind of one dimensional killers and then there's the whole Trystane's boat plothole. I get why you'd cut all these characters and simplify Dorne down, but the result seems kind of... shallow? Maybe I'll change my mind when we get to the big picture, maybe the Sand Snakes being so bloodthirsty works in the long run, like their endgame role is to be a giant obstacle to the Lannisters whenever possible. Maybe my problem with it is how it's framed? Their whole motivation is focused on Oberyn's family, but it looks like it's more about messing with the Lannisters. Because why would the people trying to avenge Oberyn's family

kill the rest of Oberyn's family?

That new episode was probably one of the best in the show imo. I literally have no complaints. All of the actors/actresses were on the top of their game, we got a lot of content without it feeling rushed in any way, Thrones at it's finest.

I wonder what ramifications Jon's revival has. Is he going to execute Aliser/Olly? On a scale of Beric Dondarrion to Lady Stoneheart, how different is he?

I don't disclose a whole lot about my personal life on Serenes but this is like super brag worthy material that I feel like showing off. I was actually employed as an extra in Game of Thrones last year and the scene with me in it has finally been aired so I can talk about it a bit more openly. Tried embedding the photos but Serenes wouldn't let me. So here's the links.

http://imgur.com/yrJBpDg

That's the line up photo they took of me when I first went to my fitting. Or rather it's a photo of the photo they used. They weren't kind enough to give me a digital copy so I just took the one that was attached to my costume, for the memories.

http://imgur.com/EaOBbSZ

This is the big battle scene towards the end of the season. This shot from the trailer was one of the instances where I was certain I was on camera, which I am, it's just borderline impossible to make me out. I highly doubt there'll be a better shot of me in the episode even though I was there for two weeks!

http://imgur.com/M80xKPT

This scene where the wildlings storm Castle Black was the scene I was in. Took two nights to film it. Must have heard the dialogue in it over a hundred times. The sweeping shot here is a pretty good look at my back.

http://imgur.com/qIp6ltW

This might be a look at my side. I'm not sure. Mainly because it looks like I'm holding a bow when I wasn't. The girl standing on my right was though so maybe it's just poking out in front of me. It was the place I was standing for the majority of takes however.

http://imgur.com/aEJIYtC

This guy here actually has a name, Bowen Marsh. He plays a somewhat important role in the book but I don't think he even got a single line in the show. He is considered an actor though while we were just considered extras. My job was to grab him and drag him away.

http://imgur.com/o9aGnbV

This guy here isn't actually the actor who plays Olly. At least it isn't for the majority of the scene including when he charges. Its a stand in wearing a wig. It looks really good too. I didn't even realise it wasn't him until he brought it up in conversation. The reason they have a stand in is because it was a night shoot and Olly's real actor is under 18 so they can't have him working certain hours.

http://imgur.com/3Vp984w

This is the best shot of me there'll probably be in the entire season. I was actually wearing a fake beard for the scene because they recorded just after my graduation which I shaved for. Of course I didn't mention that to them until I turned up on set!

I also did a third scene set in a camp but I'm pretty sure it'll be cut. It didn't really seem all that important. It was still a really cool experience though. The whole thing was a lot of fun to do and I met some really interesting people. It was also really difficult and could be very repetitive. Each day was at least fifteen working hours long. One day went as far as seventeen hours. It's mainly because they need to get all our costume on and hair done before the camera men are ready to start filming so since we were starting before everyone else we were guaranteed to be working over time every day. Which is good since overtime means extra pay! Though at some points the extra pay didn't seem nearly as desirable as the concept of sleep.

Wow man, that's crazy! Congrats. How did they film the stuff with Wun-Wun? Did they have like a marker or something that everyone was supposed to look up at?

Edited by Alertcircuit

I'm fine with the plots being different from the books, but the Sand Snakes are kind of one dimensional killers and then there's the whole Trystane's boat plothole. I get why you'd cut all these characters and simplify Dorne down, but the result seems kind of... shallow? Maybe I'll change my mind when we get to the big picture, maybe the Sand Snakes being so bloodthirsty works in the long run, like their endgame role is to be a giant obstacle to the Lannisters whenever possible. Maybe my problem with it is how it's framed? Their whole motivation is focused on Oberyn's family, but it looks like it's more about messing with the Lannisters. Because why would the people trying to avenge Oberyn's family

kill the rest of Oberyn's family?

That new episode was probably one of the best in the show imo. I literally have no complaints. All of the actors/actresses were on the top of their game, we got a lot of content without it feeling rushed in any way, Thrones at it's finest.

I wonder what ramifications Jon's revival has. Is he going to execute Aliser/Olly? On a scale of Beric Dondarrion to Lady Stoneheart, how different is he?

Wow man, that's crazy! Congrats. How did they film the stuff with Wun-Wun? Did they have like a marker or something that everyone was supposed to look up at?

They had a guy holding a big green screen pole indicating his approximate height and, more importantly, a clear area we couldn't closely approach. Some times it was accompanied by a model of his head.

RIP Shaggydog. Let's hope that head is a fake.

This show is making me paranoid of characters being within a foot of each other. I got nervous when Tommen sat on the bench with the Sparrow.

Me too! I'm glad Jon quit the Night's Watch. The deaths of Olly and Alliser Thorne are not as sweet as I thought, they were actually pretty haunting. I really want to see what Jon's going to do now. Also, RIP Shaggydog, we barely knew thee.

Why the hell is Rickon like fifteen years older than he should be lol

Also this episode was great. I liked that we finally see Arthur Dayne. Only problem is the choreography was terribad. When will the dual-wielding = master swordsman meme die? Was rolling my eyes throughout the entire battle.

I'm usually fine with a little embellishment when it comes to dual wielding but in Arthur Dayne's case they outright ignored pretty much the only distinctive thing about his appearance in the books. That is to say he is known for wielding a greatsword called Dawn and is called the Sword (not Swords) of the Morning for that fact.