Least favorite unit in FE per game

TheAstraWolf

Hitting not-as-crap-as-you-think caps fast=good

Also, you get Libra and Anna a few chapters later, and Sumia and Cordelia can just reclass to Falcoknight. Donnel faces competition from Gregor(decent), Vaike(debatable), Virion(lol) and Flavia(lol) for a Hero/Bow Knight/Warrior on your team.

Just a question, have you ever played lunatic+, or lunatic, without grinding?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's almost hilariously wrong.

Donnel's strength is 1, Maribelle's magic is 2

Donnel's skill is -1, Maribelle's is 1

Donnel's speed is -1, Maribelle's speed is 0

They both have equal luck.

Donnel's defense is 1 while Maribelle's is -3. But Maribelle's resistance is also 2 while Donnel's is -1

Donnel only wins in defense with relevant stats.

You forget that Donnel gives Pegasus Knight to any female child, which is helpful for Nah, Noire, or Kjelle, none of whom are harmed by Donnel's mods as a parent. Maribelle's mods severely harm Lucina and make Morgan less useful in the short term, especially if you factor in the fact she starts as a utility class. Granted, Lissa does the same, but Lissa!Morgan has Miracle. Maribelle Morgan doesn't. Not like any of them are unusable, unlike 2/3 of the SP chars(srsly, why you want an Emmeryn! or Gangrel!Morgan?)

Hitting not-as-crap-as-you-think caps fast=good

Also, you get Libra and Anna a few chapters later, and Sumia and Cordelia can just reclass to Falcoknight. Donnel faces competition from Gregor(decent), Vaike(debatable), Virion(lol) and Flavia(lol) for a Hero/Bow Knight/Warrior on your team.

Donnel is taking exp from EVERY combat unit, all of which are way better than him.

Okay, can you guys just cut this line of debate out? It's not really pertinent to the topic at hand anymore and is annoying as fuck and has already made me ;/ towards at least one of you.

FE7: Karla, because for all the trouble it takes to get her she's not worth it. Farina may be second because she is so not worth 10,000 gold and Dorcas for having 20% growth and 6 base and no speed promotion.

FE8: Amelia, because at least Ross comes early and Ewan has 2-range. Ewan is probably second, though.

FE9: Mia and Nephenee, because I don't find it worth raising them. Other people do the job well enough for me.

FE10: Fiona and Meg, because why. EDIT: Lyre's pretty bad, too. She's so bad I forgot she existed.

FE13: Kellam, because can you stop getting skill and get some speed?! Your speed growth isn't even bad!

FE14: Orochi and Nyx, because Orochi has no speed and Nyx has no skill and neither have a lick of durability whatsoever.

Edited by Sunwoo

Okay, can you guys just cut this line of debate out? It's not really pertinent to the topic at hand anymore and is annoying as fuck and has already made me ;/ towards at least one of you.

FE7: Karla, because for all the trouble it takes to get her she's not worth it. Farina may be second because she is so not worth 10,000 gold and Dorcas for having 20% growth and 6 base and no speed promotion.

FE8: Amelia, because at least Ross comes early and Ewan has 2-range. Ewan is probably second, though.

FE9: Mia and Nephenee, because I don't find it worth raising them. Other people do the job well enough for me.

FE10: Fiona and Meg, because why.

FE13: Kellam, because can you stop getting skill and get some speed?! Your speed growth isn't even bad!

FE14: Orochi and Nyx, because Orochi has no speed and Nyx has no skill and neither have a lick of durability whatsoever.

Hey, someone has some sense around here. Also you might wanna reply to him Levant

Hey, someone has some sense around here. Also you might wanna reply to him Levant

Actually... I agree... With Sunwoo, that is. So there's no need. It's obvious you won't listen to reason, anyhow, so I don't feel the need to let this farce drag on any longer than it already has.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Actually... I agree... With Sunwoo, that is. So there's no need. It's obvious you won't listen to reason, anyhow, so I don't feel the need to let this farce drag on any longer than it already has.

Levant, don't be a douchecanoe and leave the personal attacks out of this ;/

Levant, don't be a douchecanoe and leave the personal attacks out of this ;/

Sorry about that. I got worked up.

Getting back to the topic at hand...

FE7: Karla, because for all the trouble it takes to get her she's not worth it.

Agreed. Personally, for a second such unit, I'd say Bartre, for his 3 speed base, which is just ugh, especially with the no speed promotion.

Now for something I didn't mention earlier because I got too caught up in that "debate":

Fates CQ: Arthur, for reasons already stated (basically, the whole low luck thing, given that it hurts his otherwise respectable durability).

Alright here we go...

FE1- Tomth and Mishelin are lol, armour knights with atrocious bases, growths that aren't getting them anywhere, and don't even have the decency to join with a weapon.

FE2- Not familiar enough with Gaiden

FE3 (Book 2)- Not familiar enough with Mystery of the Emblem

FE4- Not familar enough with Genealogy

FE5- Not familiar enough with Thracia

FE6- Wendy is the obvious answer. Gross bases, is an armour knight, the worst class in the game, and conveniently joins right before axeland. Not to mention Bors turns out better anyways (not that he's great either).

FE7- Why put tons of effort and experience into training Nino, when Pent joins prepackaged with bases that last the rest of the game and sweet weapon ranks? She's just not worth it.

FE8- Amelia. She joins with mediocre base stats, meh growth rates, and has slight availability issues. Not to mention the game throws a Paladin at you at the very first chapter with base stats and growth rates that make him better than Amelia even when both are at max level. At least she comes with a Speedwing?

FE9- It's a hard call, but I'll say Rolf. He takes a bit too much effort to train and I prefer Astrid as she's a Bow Knight in a game where mounted units reign supreme. What is the advantage of Snipers anyways? Longbow access?

FE10- Not too familiar with Radiant Dawn but I hear Meg is Wendy 2: Return of the 9/10 unit

FE13- Ricken. Has mediocre stats overall, especially in speed and I generally prefer Dark mages in Awakening due to access to the Nosferatu tome and higher defense while still usually having good spped.

Conquest- Benny. Unlike Effie, who can be a Great Knight due to not having huge speed issues, and not needing wary fighter, Benny absolutely needs to be a General to get Wary Fighter to not be doubled. And sure, he's a tank, but there's not much to tank if he's not going anywhere, unlike Effie as a Great Knight who can keep up with your other mounts.

Birthright- Mozu, unlike in conquest where she can be decent by manning the second ballista, and being one of your only bow users, in Birthright, Takumi exists and outclasses her in nearly every way.

Revelation- Nyx. Horrible bases (seriously IS, could you at least buff units not named Hayato and Silas a little bit?), joins a bit late, is incredibly frail and it's especially sad when you see someone like Shura with insane bases join in the exact same chapter.

EDIT: Formatting

Edited by Glitchy

Alright here we go...

FE1- Tomth and Mishelin are lol, armour knights with atrocious bases, growths that aren't getting them anywhere, and don't even have the decency to join with a weapon.

Sadly, Biraku joins with a Steel Lance and is still worse than these guys with less survivability.

FE6- Wendy is the obvious answer. Gross bases, is an armour knight, the worst class in the game, and conveniently joins right before axeland. Not to mention Bors turns out better anyways (not that he's great either). I would venture to say Barth is even worse, given that he WILL fail to proc speed ever.

FE7- Why put tons of effort and experience into training Nino, when Pent joins prepackaged with bases that last the rest of the game and sweet weapon ranks? She's just not worth it.

Est Bias, not that there's anything wrong with that.

FE8- Amelia. She joins with mediocre base stats, meh growth rates, and has slight availability issues. Not to mention the game throws a Paladin at you at the very first chapter with base stats and growth rates that make him better than Amelia even when both are at max level. At least she comes with a Speedwing?

What exactly makes Ewan better? That he can wield Dark? Even though Knoll comes ready to promote only a few chapters later? But that's my Oifey/Jagen bias.

FE9- It's a hard call, but I'll say Rolf. He takes a bit too much effort to train and I prefer Astrid as she's a Bow Knight in a game where mounted units reign supreme. What is the advantage of Snipers anyways? Longbow access?

Not sure. I'm not too invested in a lot of units, but Astrid definitely is useful for me right now, whereas I don't use Rolf at all. Or Mist.

FE10- Not too familiar with Radiant Dawn but I hear Meg is Wendy 2: Return of the 9/10 unit

Just for this reason, I want to compare Meg to Brom, because everybody knows Gatrie is the best Knight in FE10.

FE13- Ricken. Has mediocre stats overall, especially in speed and I generally prefer Dark mages in Awakening due to access to the Nosferatu tome and higher defense while still usually having good spped.

I'm rather indifferent towards Ricken myself, but he isn't a bad unit. Then again, there are only a few, and all are optional.

Conquest- Benny. Unlike Effie, who can be a Great Knight due to not having huge speed issues, and not needing wary fighter, Benny absolutely needs to be a General to get Wary Fighter to not be doubled. And sure, he's a tank, but there's not much to tank if he's not going anywhere, unlike Effie as a Great Knight who can keep up with your other mounts.

Birthright- Mozu, unlike in conquest where she can be decent by manning the second ballista, and being one of your only bow users, in Birthright, Takumi exists and outclasses her in nearly every way.

Revelation- Nyx. Horrible bases (seriously IS, could you at least buff units not named Hayato and Silas a little bit?), joins a bit late, is incredibly frail and it's especially sad when you see someone like Shura with insane bases join in the exact same chapter.

Haven't played, but I'm sure I'll disagree with you guys somewhere.

Alright here we go...

Sadly, Biraku joins with a Steel Lance and is still worse than these guys with less survivability.

FE6- Wendy is the obvious answer. Gross bases, is an armour knight, the worst class in the game, and conveniently joins right before axeland. Not to mention Bors turns out better anyways (not that he's great either). I would venture to say Barth is even worse, given that he WILL fail to proc speed ever.

Est Bias, not that there's anything wrong with that.

What exactly makes Ewan better? That he can wield Dark? Even though Knoll comes ready to promote only a few chapters later? But that's my Oifey/Jagen bias.

Not sure. I'm not too invested in a lot of units, but Astrid definitely is useful for me right now, whereas I don't use Rolf at all. Or Mist.

Just for this reason, I want to compare Meg to Brom, because everybody knows Gatrie is the best Knight in FE10.

I'm rather indifferent towards Ricken myself, but he isn't a bad unit. Then again, there are only a few, and all are optional.

Haven't played, but I'm sure I'll disagree with you guys somewhere.

Who are Tomth, Mishelin and Biraku

and Odin is pretty junk on Revelations, and I can fill in the blanks for the games you didn't play:

Gaiden: Atlas

NM: Yubello

Geneaology: Arden/Hannibal

Fog: Xavier

Nah, Mutton Man has decent enough stats.

Isadora, on the other hand....and Florina is a close second if you remove Lyn mode.

Who do you mean by Mutton Man? All I know about Mutton Man is Tales of Xillia.

Anyways, I don't see the problem with Isadora - she's perfectly serviceable. Karla, on the other hand...

Who are Tomth, Mishelin and Biraku

Dolph, Macellan, and Vyland.

Assuming hard, because Lunatic+ is just fake difficulty via broke skills like Luna+ or Hawkeye.

No, my point is that the hump Donnel has to get over and how not worth it the payoff is becomes starker and starker the higher the difficulty is, and when you get to Lunatic and Lunatic+ it becomes blatantly obvious that the effort is too great. The thing about Donnel is that he requires a lot of investment, as well as an early second seal, for a payoff that's only ever worth it on the easier difficulties. That amount of investment would make anybody good, not just Donnel.

Now that the thread title's changed, I suppose I should update my list a bit for characters I just like the least...

FE7: Still Bartre. Never really cared for him. Could've maybe been Nino, but I remember her turning out well that one time when I was younger, got annoyed with Pent for stealing all the EXP in the desert, and benched him, and I like Nino.

FE8: Garcia. I just don't care at all for the guy, and I remember him getting disappointing levels when I used him.

FE9: I will replay you some day, Path of Radiance... Until then, gonna go with Rhys. I remember using Mist over him, he just didn't interest me.

FE13: Tharja. I never really used mages outside of Henry (who had Ruin, and therefore endeared himself to me by critting on every other attack. I really like crit-happy units, and I don't know why), but Miriel was at least mildly useful in Chapter 2 and Ricken was okay in Chapter 5 (or at least, he could Pair Up with Maribelle so Lissa could Rescue both of them at once). Tharja probably only gets the lowest spot for me for needing to be recruited from the enemy during a map, whereas the other three start on your side (even if Ricken's predicament in Chapter 5 is annoying).

FE14 Birthright: Hayato. A level 1 mage who joins 10 chapters in? In a game where I don't really love the mages? No thanks Fuga, you can keep him.

At least he doesn't make me use him on a map though. Which is nice.

FE14 Conquest: Nyx. No defense, has had hit rates on par with my Niles (who seems to be incapable of getting a 90-100% hit rate for some reason), and I don't really love the magic users in Fates (except Conquest's version of Odin, because I can make him a Samurai, and Revelation's version of Hayato). I did have one time where she came in handy, that being lowering Haitaka's Avoid with double-Heartseeker with Odin that one time I wanted Niles to capture him (I think that worked, anyway), but I don't think I'd use her beyond that.

FE14 Revelation: Orochi. I just don't like that she's pretty much guaranteed to get Ninja'd before I can reach Saizo to make her be on my side and pair up with Reina so she's not in danger of getting bodied to death by pretty much anything that can double her (and in the Ninja Forest of Spiky Death, that's probably most of the things. Not that I've ever checked, I just tape her to Reina for the chapter, then glue her to the bench afterward). Also, her speed. Alsoalso, I don't love the mages in Fates (Conquest Odin and Revelation Hayato aside, as I mentioned earlier).

Edited by ILikeKirbys

FE14 Conquest: Nyx. No defense, has had hit rates on par with my Niles (who seems to be incapable of getting a 90-100% hit rate for some reason), and I don't really love the magic users in Fates (except Conquest's version of Odin, because I can make him a Samurai, and Revelation's version of Hayato). I did have one time where she came in handy, that being lowering Haitaka's Avoid with double-Heartseeker with Odin that one time I wanted Niles to capture him (I think that worked, anyway), but I don't think I'd use her beyond that.

Bold: Hold up, does that even work? Because I don't think it would - I know for a fact that something like that wouldn't work in Awakening.

Bold: Hold up, does that even work? Because I don't think it would - I know for a fact that something like that wouldn't work in Awakening.

I don't know if it actually did. I just figured I had two units with Heartseeker (Odin and Nyx), so I put them both next to Haitaka and let other units attack him. I figured that both Heartseekers would drop Haitaka's Avoid by 40 (since one drops it by 20, and there's two of them, so that would equal 40 less Avoid for the Spear Fighter on the throne, if they both affected him), but I dunno if that actually worked or not. It might not have added the second Heartseeker's Avoid-drop.

All I know is, Niles (who has issues with hitting things, at least when I use him) was able to get a good hit rate (and the Capture, after a lot of softening) on Haitaka after that setup. Dunno if it did what I thought it did or I just got lucky tho.

Edited by ILikeKirbys

Nah, Mutton Man has decent enough stats.

Isadora, on the other hand....and Florina is a close second if you remove Lyn mode.

Hey, Isadora's basically a slightly worse Kent that I didn't have to put any EXP into. Plus she's able to use that shiny Silver Sword she joins with right away for lots of damage against basically everything when she joins, and enough speed to double with it and most other Swords for a long time.

Karla's bases are only slightly better than Isadora's, yet she joins 12 chapters later (less if you skip some gaidens). She's also not mounted and doesn't have the ability to use Lances or Axes for WTA (not that Isadora can use most Lances and Axes very well due to her low con, but still, it's an option she has that Karla does not).

Don't forget Karla requires using a GBA fighter.

Which as a general rule tend to be crap units.

To be fair, base Bartre + promotion bonuses has a 100% chance to survive a round of combat against Karla as long as he has the Iron Rune and a Swordreaver. I'm sure that Karla's stats are as bad as they are so that you can't get screwed out of being able to recruit her no matter how bad your Bartre turned out.

You do have to get him to 10/5 first though, unfortunately, and Bartre is pretty awful in FE7.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

To be fair, base Bartre + promotion bonuses has a 100% chance to survive a round of combat against Karla as long as he has the Iron Rune and a Swordreaver. I'm sure that Karla's stats are as bad as they are so that you can't get screwed out of being able to recruit her no matter how bad your Bartre turned out.

You do have to get him to 10/5 first though, unfortunately, and Bartre is pretty awful in FE7.

And therein lies the problem - she essentially costs 10,000 gold to recruit... with stats that fail to justify the price of admission, in addition to actively demanding the use of a unit who is himself garbage.