Least favorite unit in FE per game

TheAstraWolf

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And therein lies the problem - she essentially costs 10,000 gold to recruit... with stats that fail to justify the price of admission, in addition to actively demanding the use of a unit who is himself garbage.

Hey, I'm not saying that Karla is good or anything (not being able to ORKO base Bartre of all people is pretty awful), I was just using her to as a comparison to show that Isadora is actually fairly solid aside from her -3 Con modifier.

If Karla joined in Chapter 22 she actually would be pretty good, honestly.

Hey, I'm not saying that Karla is good or anything (not being able to ORKO base Bartre of all people is pretty awful), I was just using her to as a comparison to show that Isadora is actually fairly solid aside from her -3 Con modifier.

If Karla joined in Chapter 22 she actually would be pretty good, honestly.

...Or they could've just made her recruitable in chapter 25.

...Or they could've just made her recruitable in chapter 25.

This could help that Farina should've been recruited in Ch.26, also known as 24E(fuck you, HM specific chapters.) Yes, that might've caused her to be a true Est, but she is more salvageable than Nino even with that, even though I promoted Vaida over her when I shouldn't have.

Since we're going the 'least favorite' route, I'm going to mention units that I've actually dumped a sizable amount of time and resources in, only to have them fail me.

FE6: Sigh. Roy. The one Lord who spends more time being rescued than fighting.

FE7: I cannot commit to memory a single good Erk in all of the times I've played this game and used him. Regardless of his tempting availability, it's gotten to where it's much easier to ignore him and wait for Pent.

FE13: Donnel just doesn't work. Some of the most broken units in the game also join early and can use the kills you'd feed to him to become even better. Robin, for example, can go Dark Falcon and get Galeforce to pass down to Morgan and Lucina. Those three units can beat the game by themselves, without exaggeration. Panne will also happily take that Second Seal Donnel would have wasted and kill whatever Robin left behind. Then there's Sully, a great unit in her own right who joins earlier and also outperforms Donnel. How can Donnel even stack up to that?

Edited by Inference

I hate Matthew, he never proc'd Silencer and Hector with Iron Rune hard counters him

Seriously speaking i kinda hate how FE7 thief get so shafted promo wise.

I'm sorry, but it's been a while since I last played FE7, so, um, how exactly did Thief get shafted by promoting to Assassin there? Because I'd expect that a class that's really fast and dodgy getting faster and dodgier with a side of occasional instant-murder could only be good, but that might be my poor memory failing me and the nostalgia goggles reminding me of how cool Jaffar was when I was younger more than actual thieves being good Assassins.

As far as I know, skills don't stack upon allies/enemies. Demoiselle, Gentilhomme, Inspiration, Malefic Aura, debuffs, etc., do not stack.

So, do they work like debuffs (where they all occur, but only the largest ones for each stat takes effect, ie. If I have Quiet Strength and Rose's Thorns on one unit, will they get +3 damage dealt (from RT) and -2 damage taken (from QS)?)? Because that would actually make sense, now that I think about it.

Thieves have terrible promotion gains and don't have access to their promotion item until the very end of Night of Farewells. So by the time they can even promote you will already have Jaffar who is far better than Matthew or Legault as a combat unit.

I'm sorry, but it's been a while since I last played FE7, so, um, how exactly did Thief get shafted by promoting to Assassin there? Because I'd expect that a class that's really fast and dodgy getting faster and dodgier with a side of occasional instant-murder could only be good, but that might be my poor memory failing me and the nostalgia goggles reminding me of how cool Jaffar was when I was younger more than actual thieves being good Assassins.

So, do they work like debuffs (where they all occur, but only the largest ones for each stat takes effect, ie. If I have Quiet Strength and Rose's Thorns on one unit, will they get +3 damage dealt (from RT) and -2 damage taken (from QS)?)? Because that would actually make sense, now that I think about it.

I guess it has to do with the promotion bonuses not being all that great. Though personally nothing screams "shafted in promotion bonuses" like Warriors in FE7 and FE8.

Not really - I'm sure that they stack, but not with other copies of themselves. Ergo, an enemy in 3 spaces of a unit with Anathema loses 10 avoid and crit avoid. If that same unit has Hex and is adjacent to that same enemy, they lose 25 avoid, on top of the 10 crit evade. If another unit with Anathema moves within 3 spaces of that same enemy, they still lose only 25 avoid.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Don't forget the inexplicable loss of stealing.

Not a huge thing but still pretty wth IS.

I didn't mention it because by the time you can promote Thieves in FE7, there's virtually nothing left to steal.

Yeah, it's small, but I still think it's pretty dumb.

For what it's worth, it is more relevant in FE8 since the promotion item for thieves comes right around the beginning of midgame.

Anyone with stupid recruit conditions. Hannibal, Xavier, Karla, etc.

Treck for being ugly af and always dying.

Knoll for joining late as fuck with horrible stats. It's a shame since he's cute.

Gatrie because lolfe9knights.

Laura because she has no screen time and is impossible to promote without abuse.

Cordelia because of her fanbase.

Orochi for trying to be Lilina but failing miserably.

No, they don't accumulate effects, as long as they are different they will stack. If I have a unit affected by Lily's Poise, Demoiselle and Inspiration then said unit will deal +3 dmg and take -7 dmg if male. In the same way if I have Draconic Hex, Seal Speed and attack with Silver Dagger then enemy will suffer -4 on all stats, while speed suffering -6 instead of accumulating all debuffs.

Thieves have terrible promotion gains and don't have access to their promotion item until the very end of Night of Farewells. So by the time they can even promote you will already have Jaffar who is far better than Matthew or Legault as a combat unit.

Oh.

Oh, right. I forgot that thieves took forever to get their promotion item (well after I probably got annoyed with their inability to promote and benched them) and weren't really combat units (outside of that one time where I decided to use Matthew heavily in Lyn's story because I knew he was one of the first units you got in Hector mode and he turned out awesomely... and still got benched because dude was still way too fragile for me to be comfortable using him).

No wonder my mind immediately went to Jaffar, haha.

I guess it has to do with the promotion bonuses not being all that great. Though personally nothing screams "shafted in promotion bonuses" like Warriors in FE7 and FE8.

Not really - I'm sure that they stack, but not with other copies of themselves. Ergo, an enemy in 3 spaces of a unit with Anathema loses 10 avoid and crit avoid. If that same unit has Hex and is adjacent to that same enemy, they lose 25 avoid, on top of the 10 crit evade. If another unit with Anathema moves within 3 spaces of that same enemy, they still lose only 25 avoid.

No, they don't accumulate effects, as long as they are different they will stack. If I have a unit affected by Lily's Poise, Demoiselle and Inspiration then said unit will deal +3 dmg and take -7 dmg if male. In the same way if I have Draconic Hex, Seal Speed and attack with Silver Dagger then enemy will suffer -4 on all stats, while speed suffering -6 instead of accumulating all debuffs.

I think I understand now. Guess dual-Heartseeker doesn't work, then.

I must've just gotten lucky with Niles that night.

Thanks, mates.

Edited by ILikeKirbys

Perhaps it had to do with +hit supports by adjacent units. Some units grant more buffs on some combat stats than others.

Yeah, that could be it. I forgot, but I'm pretty sure Niles was next to Odin, who he had a C support with (and also Elise, for Lily's Poise's damage increase, and one other character I can't remember, probably Arthur or Effie, but they probably didn't affect anything). That explains the sudden burst of goodness I got out of Niles.

...Although, this raises the question about how exactly Capture works, which I wouldn't know because I've used it a grand total of twice (once on Haitaka because I wanted to capture a boss, and once on a random Lancer because I wanted to see what they promoted into... I was disappointed). I remember that Niles wasn't able to get Dual Strikes or Dual Guards when he was using Capture, but I dunno if it'd prevent Odin's support from making him better than he normally is.

Yeah, that could be it. I forgot, but I'm pretty sure Niles was next to Odin, who he had a C support with (and also Elise, for Lily's Poise's damage increase, and one other character I can't remember, probably Arthur or Effie, but they probably didn't affect anything). That explains the sudden burst of goodness I got out of Niles.

...Although, this raises the question about how exactly Capture works, which I wouldn't know because I've used it a grand total of twice (once on Haitaka because I wanted to capture a boss, and once on a random Lancer because I wanted to see what they promoted into... I was disappointed). I remember that Niles wasn't able to get Dual Strikes or Dual Guards when he was using Capture, but I dunno if it'd prevent Odin's support from making him better than he normally is.

I believe Capture does negate the passive support bonuses as well, since I remember one time where I was considering capturing an enemy and noticed that Niles had a lower hit rate when using Capture vs. Attack. I could be misremembering, though.

I believe Capture does negate the passive support bonuses as well, since I remember one time where I was considering capturing an enemy and noticed that Niles had a lower hit rate when using Capture vs. Attack. I could be misremembering, though.

I'm pretty sure that capture reduces your hit rate by a flat 10 no matter what, because I'm quite sure it happened even when he wasn't paired up. It also doesn't allow dual strikes.

FE9- It's a hard call, but I'll say Rolf. He takes a bit too much effort to train and I prefer Astrid as she's a Bow Knight in a game where mounted units reign supreme. What is the advantage of Snipers anyways? Longbow access?

Yeah, Snipers are the only class that can use Longbows and the Double Bow... too bad both weapons suck, so it ain't even much of an advantage.

This could help that Farina should've been recruited in Ch.26, also known as 24E(fuck you, HM specific chapters.) Yes, that might've caused her to be a true Est, but she is more salvageable than Nino even with that, even though I promoted Vaida over her when I shouldn't have.

Tbf, I mentioned chapter 25 because you do see her in the village there, and her bases would've been much more acceptable for that point in the game.

Anyways, other units that I don't like using that came to mind:

FE6: Most all axe users, but especially the brigand who can't hit the broad side of a barn, AKA Gonzales.

FE8: Rennac and Duessel. The former's stats are pretty unimpressive. and the latter is a Great Knight in a game where they're essentially foot units with worse move penalties.

FE9: Rolf and Stefan. Rolf needs too much effort to contribute, and Stefan's low luck is a dealbreaker.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the games I played:

7: Don't remember. Probably one of the Pegasus Knights other than Florina.

Shadow Dragon: Radd? I don't think I ever actually used him.

Awakening: Ricken, but I rarely use Sully either.