Baseball 2017 Season Discussion

Rezzy

Any Baseball fans here? I'm a lifelong Cubs fans, with my grandfather and mother being particularly diehard growing up. I hope to raise my kids right to be Cubs fans as well. This year has been very nice so far. Last year was good, after slogging through years in the cellar.

I saw a football thread, but nothing for baseball, so I figured I'd get the discussion started.

Edited by Rezzy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Baseball fan for quite some time, My team is the Arizona Diamondbacks, we haven't done too much of note in the past few seasons haha.

I've been a Baseball fan for quite some time, My team is the Arizona Diamondbacks, we haven't done too much of note in the past few seasons haha.

I'm rooting for you guys to beat the Pirates today, the NL Central is looking to be tough this year.

While I wasn't a sports fan growing up, I became a pretty big baseball fan about 10-12 years ago. I follow the Phillies and the Blue Jays as a result of where I used to live and where I live now and also kind of fun to have an NL team and AL team. My father and grandfather also watch baseball so it's fun to talk them about it.

Well, my Cubs are rained out for tonight, so I guess so I guess I have no excuse to not be studying for boards, now.

I've pretty much been a baseball fan for longer than I've been a football fan, honestly. The fact that in the mid-nineties (i.e. my early childhood), the Browns left for Baltimore while the Tribe made it to two World Series (they lost both, but still) probably has something to do with that.

The Indians have been pretty mediocre these last few years. As far as Cleveland sports usually go (except for the Cavs as long as we have Lebron), "mediocre" isn't that bad.

I visited Cleveland in 2008 or 2009 and went to a Indians game versus the Royals. Nice stadium. Enjoyed our time there.

Hard to ever tell anything from April, but it's just amusing to me that of my two teams the Phillies have won more games than the Blue Jays right now given expectations of both teams for the season. I'm sure that will change.

I barely care if at all about Baseball, if only because the most we have in Nashville is a all around decent Minor League club. I seriously doubt the Nashville Sounds could even get into the MLB, if only for a lack of enthusiasm in favor of a different kind of America's favorite pastime (*cough*NASCAR*cough*). I want to tell the Sounds go pro or go away, but they have a decent enough sized fanbase that they could sit where they are for at least another decade.

I barely care if at all about Baseball, if only because the most we have in Nashville is a all around decent Minor League club. I seriously doubt the Nashville Sounds could even get into the MLB, if only for a lack of enthusiasm in favor of a different kind of America's favorite pastime (*cough*NASCAR*cough*). I want to tell the Sounds go pro or go away, but they have a decent enough sized fanbase that they could sit where they are for at least another decade.

The Nashville Sounds are a minor league affiliate of the Oakland A's, so it's not really fair to say they couldn't make it in the MLB, since they serve to develop players for the A's which are a major league team. If it weren't for the minor league teams, the major league teams would look a lot different.

While I wasn't a sports fan growing up, I became a pretty big baseball fan about 10-12 years ago. I follow the Phillies and the Blue Jays as a result of where I used to live and where I live now and also kind of fun to have an NL team and AL team. My father and grandfather also watch baseball so it's fun to talk them about it.

Its fun to have a team for both leagues yeah, I'm not anywhere close to the Tampa area, but I do like the Rays.

Edited by Jedi

I went to a Pirates game once because Pittsburgh native and all, but I'm not really a big baseball fan (I do rather like to play it myself, but watching it is boring, imo). I prefer the NFL and NHL more (and I don't even watch as much of the latter as I do the former, truth be told). And on top of that, the Pirates sucked for like ever until fairly recently, so...

I did happen to get to see them do THREE grand slams in a row a couple years back though, holy shit. They also had the bases loaded at some point during it, so they shot up to 10 points. o.o

I just wish people wouldn't call the Pirates the "Bucs" sometimes. It gets me confused on whether they're talking about the Pirates or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Edited by Anacybele

I went to a Pirates game once because Pittsburgh native and all, but I'm not really a big baseball fan (I do rather like to play it myself, but watching it is boring, imo). I prefer the NFL and NHL more (and I don't even watch as much of the latter as I do the former, truth be told). And on top of that, the Pirates sucked for like ever until fairly recently, so...

I did happen to get to see them do THREE grand slams in a row a couple years back though, holy shit. They also had the bases loaded at some point during it, so they shot up to 10 points. o.o

I just wish people wouldn't call the Pirates the "Bucs" sometimes. It gets me confused on whether they're talking about the Pirates or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I like playing Baseball/Softball, too, but I honestly suck at it. I'm not that athletic in general. I played a bit of basketball in school, since I'm a bit tall, (5'11" and 135lbs my senior year), and I was good at getting rebounds, but that was about it.

There's also the problem of when multiple major league teams of different sports have the same names, like the Giants, Cardinals, etc.

Edited by Rezzy

Yeah, that's a problem too. :/ Though, there are only so many possible team names that don't sound dumb...

Yeah, and no offense to anyone who likes the Washington Nationals, but I think that's the dumbest name for a Baseball team ever. Let's see, we're in the National League, so how about the Nationals?

The should have called them the Senators like the old DC teams, or even the Judges, like 9 Members of the Supreme Court = 9 Players on the field.

When it comes to baseball I really need to sit down and watch a match from the beginning to understand the rules a little better. I was familiar with the Red Sox because in the series "Lost" the plane crashed the same year the Red Sox ended their drought. :D

Yeah, and no offense to anyone who likes the Washington Nationals, but I think that's the dumbest name for a Baseball team ever. Let's see, we're in the National League, so how about the Nationals?

The should have called them the Senators like the old DC teams, or even the Judges, like 9 Members of the Supreme Court = 9 Players on the field.

Senators would have been very cool because of the history and all that..

This year (and the next few years) are going to be a sloooooow rebuild process for the Brewers.

But hey, we won the past two games, that's called two in a row! We win the next one, that's called a winning streak! That's happened before.....right?

Any Baseball fans here? I'm a lifelong Cubs fans, with my grandfather and mother being particularly diehard growing up. I hope to raise my kids right to be Cubs fans as well. This year has been very nice so far. Last year was good, after slogging through years in the cellar.

I saw a football thread, but nothing for baseball, so I figured I'd get the discussion started.

And here I thought we could be friends ;)

Edited by Bullwine85

This year (and the next few years) are going to be a sloooooow rebuild process for the Brewers.

But hey, we won the past two games, that's called two in a row! We win the next one, that's called a winning streak! That's happened before.....right?

And here I thought we could be friends ;)

Don't worry, I'm willing to look past your faults if you want to be friends.

I know the pain of rebuilding. The Cubs just spend 5 years putting together a decent team.

Ha, until fairly recently, the Pirates were bad for decades. Think Cleveland Browns in the NFL kind of bad.

Yeah, I think they went like 20 years without a winning season. I can barely remember them ever being good before recently.

Looks like the NL Central is going to be the Cubs and Pirates this year, with maybe the Cardinals, but I don't think they'll be able to make a go of it this year.

Don't worry, I'm willing to look past your faults if you want to be friends.

I know the pain of rebuilding. The Cubs just spend 5 years putting together a decent team.

I remember what seemed like an 18 year rebuild, then 2008 was nice. Then 2011 was great, then everything changed when the Cardinals nation attacked.

Not helping about a month or two after got knocked out was the Braun and the infamous PED scandal

But hey, in about 5 years we'll be good again!....hopefully

Edited by Bullwine85

Yeah, I think they went like 20 years without a winning season. I can barely remember them ever being good before recently.

Yeah, exactly. But now they've started consistently making the playoffs, what a miracle! :P And I see a lot of fans wearing Andrew McCutchen's jersey. By now though, even I can tell that he's the best batter on the team.

Yeah, exactly. But now they've started consistently making the playoffs, what a miracle! :P And I see a lot of fans wearing Andrew McCutchen's jersey. By now though, even I can tell that he's the best batter on the team.

I like McCutchen, since he seems like a genuinely nice guy as well as a good baseball player.