Baseball 2017 Season Discussion

Rezzy

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I'd have to look into that haha, the Braves never did too hot against him either. 

My quick search says he's 13-0 against the Cubs with a 1.91 ERA and 143 Strike-Outs.  Doesn't surprise me at all.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

My quick search says he's 13-0 against the Cubs with a 1.91 ERA and 143 Strike-Outs.  Doesn't surprise me at all.

Damn, even better than I remembered. 

Oh yeah I forgot to say i've been rooting for your Cubbies to break the curse for quite some time now, it was a very pleasant surprise.

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Damn, even better than I remembered. 

Oh yeah I forgot to say i've been rooting for your Cubbies to break the curse for quite some time now, it was a very pleasant surprise.

Why thanks, I only wish they had done it when my grandfather was still alive.  He was a diehard Cubs fans, but died before they went all the way.

Est was born just in time,  She came the same day the Cubs won game 7.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So glad the Diamondbacks won our home opener, the walk-off hit by Owings reminded me of our 2001 World Series win.

1-0 to start the season baby. Probably won't continue with this kind of hype, but we can hope. 

Edited by Jedi

Brewers have runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out in the 8th, only to strikeout twice?

That's the Brewers I know :(

Edited by Bullwine85

Starling Marte wins one for the Buccos (as he kinda does frequently) in an extra inning. I swear he's the only good thing on this dumb Pirates team (except maybe that Bell kid. McCutchen has age getting to him now). Glad the Burgh has the Penguins right now (current defending champs!), with how bad to mediocre the Pirates always are and how up and down the Steelers are lately.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:05 PM, Bullwine85 said:

Ah the World Baseball Classic, the one time I can tolerate sitting next to a Cubs fan ;)

Aw, I hope we aren't that bad.

On 4/3/2017 at 10:59 AM, Jedi said:

So glad the Diamondbacks won our home opener, the walk-off hit by Owings reminded me of our 2001 World Series win.

1-0 to start the season baby. Probably won't continue with this kind of hype, but we can hope. 

It would be nice to see the NL West change up a bit this year.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Starling Marte wins one for the Buccos (as he kinda does frequently) in an extra inning. I swear he's the only good thing on this dumb Pirates team (except maybe that Bell kid. McCutchen has age getting to him now). Glad the Burgh has the Penguins right now (current defending champs!), with how bad to mediocre the Pirates always are and how up and down the Steelers are lately.

McCutchen's younger than me.  He's only 30, and usually it isn't until the mid-30s that you usually start to see a real decline.  Last year would seem to be atypical for the most part.

Well, the Cubs are off to a decent start.  4-2 Road trip I'll take any time of the year.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

McCutchen's younger than me.  He's only 30, and usually it isn't until the mid-30s that you usually start to see a real decline.  Last year would seem to be atypical for the most part.

Cutch still hasn't been as good as he was three years ago when I watched him hit multiple home runs while visiting my dad (he watches sports all the time, but I don't mind since I like watching NFL football and some NHL hockey myself. :P Just glad he quit drinking and smoking. That used to be a big problem for him.). I liked calling him Clutch Cutch back then. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Pirates got clobbered. :/ This is just what I mean about this team, one day they'll win like they did vs the Braves, and the next they'll get blown the crap out. I think they're even steven at 4-4 now. Bleh. Mediocre to bad as always. This is a reason I never really cared much about them. Don't care much for watching baseball either, but I'll check up on the team once in awhile to see if they can surprise me. They almost never do though.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Currently 6-2 first in the West, we kind of blew the Indians out, although the Giants got us back yesterday. 

34d92ba35d7b817fe646438157883cdd.png

Current standings for us.

It would be nice to see the Dodgers and Giants at the bottom for a change.

I know the Cubs are hovering around the Luxury Tax threshold, but it seems that the Dodgers are just ignoring it altogether.  Their Payroll is 70 Million more than the Cubs.  It's funny that the overtook the Yankees as the highest salary in baseball.

Pirates beat the Cubs, but that's no surprise because the Cubs are one of the only teams I've seen the Buccos consistently beat (swept them in a series last season). It is nice to knock down the defending champs tho. :P

But this was also after a losing streak, so I'm still not confident in these guys. If they can win a playoff series sometime soon though, then I'll start getting excited.

Edited by Anacybele

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Pirates beat the Cubs, but that's no surprise because the Cubs are one of the only teams I've seen the Buccos consistently beat (swept them in a series last season). It is nice to knock down the defending champs tho. :P

But this was also after a losing streak, so I'm still not confident in these guys. If they can win a playoff series sometime soon though, then I'll start getting excited.

Congrats on beating us, though the Cubs and Pirates have been trading blows off and on for years now.  I remember lopsided years going both ways.  It was a exciting game, bases loading in the 9th, but you can't win them all.

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Congrats on beating us, though the Cubs and Pirates have been trading blows off and on for years now.  I remember lopsided years going both ways.  It was a exciting game, bases loading in the 9th, but you can't win them all.

Huh, that is kind of unusual. But yeah, can't win 'em all. Unless you're the Pittsburgh Penguins lately though, omg.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Huh, that is kind of unusual. But yeah, can't win 'em all. Unless you're the Pittsburgh Penguins lately though, omg.

Yeah, the Cubs only had a losing record against the Mets and Rockies last year.  They were 14-4 against the Pirates.

MLB Records 2016.

Pirates sweep the Cubs! Way to go, Buccos! That 8th inning was something else. This is also the first time the Pirates swept them in Wrigley Field since 2014.

I don't watch many Pirates games, but the Penguins' next game is on the same channel and right after this today.

7 minutes ago, Bullwine85 said:

Brewers have won 6 out of their last 7 and are up on the Cubs 5-0.

Are.......are we good?

Maybe, I don't know what the heck is going on with the Cubs right now.  Maybe they'll stop batting the pitcher eighth and drop Schwarber into an actual RBI position in the line-up so his homers come with runners on base.

At least Heyward's doing better this year.

In related news, Starling Marte gets suspended for PEDs right after the Pirates sweep the Cubs, sorta wish they had announced that a few days ago.  Too bad, I sorta liked the guy before.

22 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

In related news, Starling Marte gets suspended for PEDs right after the Pirates sweep the Cubs, sorta wish they had announced that a few days ago.  Too bad, I sorta liked the guy before.

Man, that's really freaking lame. He is a really good player (though I hope the drugs aren't the reason for that). No wonder the Pirates are getting beat by the Cardinals now, they're without their best player.

But if Marte really did some illegal drugs, at least it's legit. It could've been worse and a repeat of what the Steelers' kicker had to face last year in the NFL. Right after he kicks a post-season record of 6 field goals, he's ordered to do a drug test and of course he passed it. That was messed up.

Edited by Anacybele

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Man, that's really freaking lame. He is a really good player (though I hope the drugs aren't the reason for that). No wonder the Pirates are getting beat by the Cardinals now, they're without their best player.

But if Marte really did some illegal drugs, at least it's legit. It could've been worse and a repeat of what the Steelers' kicker had to face last year in the NFL. Right after he kicks a post-season record of 6 field goals, he's ordered to do a drug test and of course he passed it. That was messed up.

Yeah, I the Cubs fan in me wishes they held off until they had played the Cardinals.

Watching the Cubs is a bit painful right now.  I still feel their teams is just as good as last year, if not better.  The only real big player they lost was Fowler, and Schwarber being here for the year helps mitigate that a bit.  I guess it's because it's early, but a 4 game losing streak is hard to absorb.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the Pirates has been painful too, Rezzy! They went on a losing streak and the Cubs blew them out in one game, and then they finally won again by beating the Cubs in the game after that by like one point. Now they're also freaking blowing out the Marlins. Either the Marlins suck or the Pirates have gotten some kind of sudden big surge, because holy crap, never thought I'd see this team blow out somebody like this.

Just checked the Facebook page to see how the team's doing, because I figured they had a game going.

I wonder if the Penguins winning yesterday got them pumped. lol

Edited by Anacybele

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Cubs would be doing great if their first inning ERA wasn't well above 9.00 right now.  Since they think they need 9 guys in the Bullpen right now, maybe they could have an "opener", kind of like a closer, but just a guy to get them through the first inning without giving up a run, then the Starter could continue as normal from the 2nd inning onward.