Baseball 2017 Season Discussion

Rezzy

Man, our best pitcher had to undergo CANCER treatment. :( Jameson Taillon. He's gotta be our best because when I actually watched him, man could he pitch and strike people out.

Good thing Gerrit Cole seems to be pretty good too though. Just stay away from Glasnow... That guy was awful.

Pirates beat the Brewers and then dropped one to the Brewers though. So inconsistent lately...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Man, our best pitcher had to undergo CANCER treatment. :( Jameson Taillon. He's gotta be our best because when I actually watched him, man could he pitch and strike people out.

Good thing Gerrit Cole seems to be pretty good too though. Just stay away from Glasnow... That guy was awful.

Pirates beat the Brewers and then dropped one to the Brewers though. So inconsistent lately...

I read that, I wish him a speedy recovery.  Hopefully, they caught it early.  Anthony Rizzo had to undergo cancer treatment several years ago, but he made a full recovery, and now he does lots of charity work for kids with cancer.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I read that, I wish him a speedy recovery.  Hopefully, they caught it early.  Anthony Rizzo had to undergo cancer treatment several years ago, but he made a full recovery, and now he does lots of charity work for kids with cancer.

When they can do surgery, it usually means they caught it early, but you never know. My grandma is dead from cancer and she started out having most of it removed through surgery and the rest taken care of by chemo. But it came back. An acquaintance of mine from some years ago also died of cancer because it ended up coming back. That's the main thing you have to hope for with cancer, that it doesn't fricken come back...

But yeah, I'm hoping for the best, really. This Pirates team has been bad for so long that they need to catch a break SOME time, really... I mean, your Cubs did...

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

When they can do surgery, it usually means they caught it early, but you never know. My grandma is dead from cancer and she started out having most of it removed through surgery and the rest taken care of by chemo. But it came back. An acquaintance of mine from some years ago also died of cancer because it ended up coming back. That's the main thing you have to hope for with cancer, that it doesn't fricken come back...

But yeah, I'm hoping for the best, really. This Pirates team has been bad for so long that they need to catch a break SOME time, really... I mean, your Cubs did...

I think I heard it was testicular cancer, which has a pretty good cure rate when caught early.

I wouldn't mind the Pirates in the playoffs again.  I though the Cardinals were going to have an off year this year, for a change, but they clawed back somehow.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I think I heard it was testicular cancer, which has a pretty good cure rate when caught early.

I wouldn't mind the Pirates in the playoffs again.  I though the Cardinals were going to have an off year this year, for a change, but they clawed back somehow.

Yeah, I read it was testicular cancer too, but it always seems like it doesn't matter what kind it is, that it could always somehow come back. But like I said, still hoping for the best.

Pirates in the playoffs again would be nice. But they're in last place in their division last I heard.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, I read it was testicular cancer too, but it always seems like it doesn't matter what kind it is, that it could always somehow come back. But like I said, still hoping for the best.

Pirates in the playoffs again would be nice. But they're in last place in their division last I heard.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The NL Central is really close right now.  I think only 3.5 games separates top from bottom.

37 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

The NL Central is really close right now.  I think only 3.5 games separates top from bottom.

Oh, huh. Well then, I hope that somehow the Pirates find enough wins to get up.

• 1 month later...

The Central's certainly been interesting.  If the Pirates win, that will put 4 of the 5 teams within first place.  It looks like the Brewers are doing a lot better than expected, while still being in rebuild mode.  @Bullwine85

We'll have to see who makes a trade to go for it before the deadline.  The Pirates are still borderline, but I think I read a rule that PED suspended players can't be in post-season, so maybe they'll be sellers again, if they don't think they have enough to make a run at it.

The Cubs could really use a starting pitcher, but will need one long-term, and not just for this year.  Arrieta will probably leave after this year, and Lackey will probably retire, unless he really turns it around in the second half.  The 5th spot has been a merry-go-round, and I'm not sure why the signed Brett Anderson in the first place, since it was only a one-year deal, and he's injury prone.  I could have understood if there was a club option for a second year, but really, they're just paying him to be on the DL with no real pay-off if he did turn out to do well.  They would have been better off keeping Hammel.  Only Lester and Hendricks are really long-term, and that's assuming Hendricks injury isn't going to linger.

As they say "Never count the Cardinals out", but it would be nice to see them have a bad year for once.  If the Cubs don't make it to the post season, I'd rather see the Brewers or Pirates make it.

The Pirates are winning lately and McCutchen's actually being good again? Wow! That's seriously surprising. No joke. They were on a fantastic losing streak as usual, last I checked. :P Then they win several games in a short span. Glad they won both games my stepdad attended though (I know one was against your Cubs, Rezzy, sorry. Heh).

Maybe the Penguins' success is actually rubbing off on the other Pittsburgh teams (they're freaking BACK TO BACK CHAMPS, YEAAAAAH!!). lol Next thing I know, the Steelers will go 12-4 and get the first seed or something. :P

But anyway, some other good news is that Jameson Taillon beat his cancer and returned recently!

Edited by Anacybele

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The Pirates are winning lately and McCutchen's actually being good again? Wow! That's seriously surprising. No joke. They were on a fantastic losing streak as usual, last I checked. :P Then they win several games in a short span. Glad they won both games my stepdad attended though (I know one was against your Cubs, Rezzy, sorry. Heh).

Maybe the Penguins' success is actually rubbing off on the other Pittsburgh teams (they're freaking BACK TO BACK CHAMPS, YEAAAAAH!!). lol Next thing I know, the Steelers will go 12-4 and get the first seed or something. :P

But anyway, some other good news is that Jameson Taillon beat his cancer and returned recently!

Good news on the cancer front.  That's always scary when people are so young.

I think the Cubs have had more guys on the DL so far this year than all of last year already, and we're not even at the halfway mark, yet.

I did not expect the Giants to be so bad this year, after their prominence for the last decade.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Good news on the cancer front.  That's always scary when people are so young.

Yeah, it sure is.

I still think the Pirates need better management before they have any shot at a World Series title, but they seem to be going in the right direction. For now. xP

5 hours ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Any direction is better than the directions the Phillies are heading, LOL.

Also surprised by the Giants. At least Posey is doing well, he's probably my favorite player in the game right now.

Well, at least the Phillies got a WS ring in the last decade, that's better than a lot of teams.

Even if the Cubs don't lose another game, they still went all the way last year, which is more than I, my parents, or even my grandparents saw before then.  My daughter managed to be born just in time to see it.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:55 PM, Rezzy said:

The Central's certainly been interesting.  If the Pirates win, that will put 4 of the 5 teams within first place.  It looks like the Brewers are doing a lot better than expected, while still being in rebuild mode.  @Bullwine85

We'll have to see who makes a trade to go for it before the deadline.  The Pirates are still borderline, but I think I read a rule that PED suspended players can't be in post-season, so maybe they'll be sellers again, if they don't think they have enough to make a run at it.

The Cubs could really use a starting pitcher, but will need one long-term, and not just for this year.  Arrieta will probably leave after this year, and Lackey will probably retire, unless he really turns it around in the second half.  The 5th spot has been a merry-go-round, and I'm not sure why the signed Brett Anderson in the first place, since it was only a one-year deal, and he's injury prone.  I could have understood if there was a club option for a second year, but really, they're just paying him to be on the DL with no real pay-off if he did turn out to do well.  They would have been better off keeping Hammel.  Only Lester and Hendricks are really long-term, and that's assuming Hendricks injury isn't going to linger.

As they say "Never count the Cardinals out", but it would be nice to see them have a bad year for once.  If the Cubs don't make it to the post season, I'd rather see the Brewers or Pirates make it.

I can't tell if we're leading the NL Central due to our rebuild being ahead of schedule, or the rest of the division tripping over their own feet.

4 hours ago, Bullwine85 said:

I can't tell if we're leading the NL Central due to our rebuild being ahead of schedule, or the rest of the division tripping over their own feet.

A mixture of both, I'd say.  Being over .500 in a year that you're supposed to be rebuilding is pretty good.  It just puts them in an odd situation of maybe having to be buyers in a year where they were expecting to keep rebuilding for next year.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

The West is so super stacked this year, Dbacks have had like our best season start ever and we're in 2nd/3rd 

e4fb085c4bcf7df34c877c84a2d577c9.png

That looks like the Central a couple years ago, where the Cubs won 97 games and still finished 3rd.  If things keep going the way they are, both Wild Card teams will probably come from the West this year.  The other two divisions have a combined total of 3 teams above .500.

I forget if I've mentioned this before, but one time at the hospital, we had the Cubs game on, and someone mentioned the "Dbacks", and a pharmacist thought they were calling them the "Dbags".

John Jaso and his dreads beat the Cardinals last night, hahahaha. XD The Pirates FB page literally posted "Jaso's Dreaded Power" lol Because dreads. That cracked me up so hard!

Apparently the Pirates almost never win in Cardinals land, but they did! Pretty impressive! I also saw that they've gone from last place in their division to third place. Not bad there either. Really does feel like our champion Penguins are rubbing off on them!

Also, I swear, Jaso looks JUST like my stepbrother who also has long blonde dreads and looks to have a similar face too. It's like he's got a long lost twin! :P

I think my Mets have the most players on the Disabled List than any other team. Every day, no matter what happens, another player gets injured and it's usually a back-breaking injury. I know it's a lost season but I knew they weren't going to make the postseason this year with the injury bug.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:13 PM, Lon'Kill said:

I want to get into baseball (not physically). Any tips on how to know baseball for a newbie? I want to go to see the Marlins and know what the heck is going on.

How much do you know about Baseball?  I'm pretty familiar with the rules and could answer any questions you might have, but knowing where you're at knowledge-wise would help, so I know where to start.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:57 PM, Lerandel said:

I think my Mets have the most players on the Disabled List than any other team. Every day, no matter what happens, another player gets injured and it's usually a back-breaking injury. I know it's a lost season but I knew they weren't going to make the postseason this year with the injury bug.

The Cubs have been feeling it.  They've got 2 Starters on the DL, plus Heyward and Bryant and Zobrist until recently.  Then non-injury related, they had to let Montero go.

On 7/2/2017 at 10:24 AM, Rezzy said:

How much do you know about Baseball?  I'm pretty familiar with the rules and could answer any questions you might have, but knowing where you're at knowledge-wise would help, so I know where to start.

Hello, well I'm currently studying in Miami. So people here are crazy about the Marlins. I went to a few games myself with some people but after the half of the game, I started to be a little bit bored because I couldn't understand a  anymore. LOL

1 hour ago, Lon'Kill said:

Hello, well I'm currently studying in Miami. So people here are crazy about the Marlins. I went to a few games myself with some people but after the half of the game, I started to be a little bit bored because I couldn't understand a  anymore. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_rules

The barebones is that you have 9 guys on each team.  They take turns trying to score runs, but moving past all three bases and getting back to home.  There's like a dozen ways to reach base, but the most common are hits and walks.  A batter has 3 chances to get hit, or he strikes out.  If the pitcher throws 4 balls outside the strikezone, and the batter doesn't swing, it's a walk, and the batter reaches first base.  If the batter hits a ball, he can go as far as he wants, as long as the ball is not caught before it hits the ground, or he gets tagged out by the defensive player who has the ball.  If a player has reached a base, he cannot be tagged out.  That's the gist of it, but I can clarify anything, if it's not clear.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:13 PM, Lon'Kill said:

I want to get into baseball (not physically). Any tips on how to know baseball for a newbie? I want to go to see the Marlins and know what the heck is going on.

I wish I could help, but I don't know much about the rules. I'm a pretty decent batter, but I can't really tell you how to do that, I'd have to show you how to properly hold the bat and stuff. My stepbrother was the one who taught me way back when we were kids! And ever since, I was better at hitting a baseball than many other girls in my school classes. lol

I can't catch to save my life though lol. I get too scared of being hit in the head. XD

But I do have one advantage over other catchers too. I can use either hand. So it doesn't matter which glove you give me, I'm proficient with both!

I guess I can suggest looking up videos and articles on the rules and such?

So we're guaranteed to be in first in the NL Central by the All Star Break.

I'll have to admit, didn't see that one coming.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, otherwise 2014 nightmares are going to rear their ugly head