Baseball 2017 Season Discussion

Rezzy

And the good news, it's at Miller Park! Where the Brewers almost always seem to beat the Pirates for some reason.

Yeah, as far as I've seen, they're much worse in away games for whatever reason. But we'll have to see what happens.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, as far as I've seen, they're much worse in away games for whatever reason. But we'll have to see what happens.

It's usually more surprising when teams do better as the away team. Home field advantage and all that.

The Pirates just traded their best reliever to the Nationals. Interesting move

Really? Who'd they get in return. They're still in the Wild Card race and borderline division, so they aren't exactly sellers this year.

They got a lefty reliever with a 4.5ish ERA and a 21 year old lefty prospect in High A

Why trade a reliever for a reliever? It seems like an odd lateral move. A new prospect is always nice, but as far as I know the Pirates aren't in rebuilding mode.

Considering what the Yankees pulled for Chapman, it was a pretty stupid move. If there wasn't a better offer on the table they should've held onto him. It's possible to win a championship if you have multiple quality arms at the back of your bullpen and they actually are competing this year.

Considering what the Yankees pulled for Chapman, it was a pretty stupid move. If there wasn't a better offer on the table they should've held onto him. It's possible to win a championship if you have multiple quality arms at the back of your bullpen and they actually are competing this year.

The Yankees are a bit farther back, and may have decided to be sellers this year. They're in 4th place in their division, 6.5 games back, 5 games back in the Wild Card, but in 6th place there.

The Pirates are in 3rd place in their division, but 9 games back (I honestly think the Cubs are the best team there, right now). Wild Card however, they're only 3 games back, being 5th in the Wild Card race.

It's a real judgement call at that point, but I think the Pirates still have a decent chance of making the post season. If they need bullpen help (and who doesn't?), then it makes sense to pick up a reliever, but giving up your best reliever in the process seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The Yankees really could have gone either way, but I think they're just far back enough to maybe think about building for next year. Five games back isn't insurmountable, but coupled with having 5 teams ahead of you, it's hard to gain ground fast enough before running out of time.

Having 2 Wild Card spots instead of just 1 makes a lot more teams lean toward the buyers end, where any team above .500 has a short if they finish the second half strong.

Aaaaaaand he vetoed the trade. That's interesting given that the Indians just acquired Andrew Miller and look set to make a run deep into October. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next 30ish hours

Anywho, Brewers sweep the Pirates at Miller Park. IIRC this is the 9th straight win for the Brewers over the Pirates there, and if I also remember correctly the Brewers have won an absurd percentage (like 85%) of games vs. the Pirates at Miller Park since 2008 or something.

Anywho, Brewers sweep the Pirates at Miller Park. IIRC this is the 9th straight win for the Brewers over the Pirates there, and if I also remember correctly the Brewers have won an absurd percentage (like 85%) of games vs. the Pirates at Miller Park since 2008 or something.

I hope the Pirates overtake the Cardinals. I'd rather have them in the postseason, as Cardinals fans can be quite insufferable here, at times.

One last time....

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC!

Treat him well, Texas! And Jeffress too

On a side note, I should REALLY get around to updating my "diagram of Miller Park's diamond"

pImjK4d.jpg

One last time....

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC!

Treat him well, Texas! And Jeffress too

On a side note, I should REALLY get around to updating my "diagram of Miller Park's diamond"

pImjK4d.jpg

I don't get the Jean Segura part of the joke, but otherwise, pretty funny.

I don't really get what the Pirates are doing right now. They're 3 games back in the Wild Card race and they seem to have already thrown in the towel for the season.

I guess the Yankees sort of did the same thing and are only slightly worse, but being in a solid 4th place, as opposed to fighting for 2nd place makes a huge difference.

I don't get the Jean Segura part of the joke, but otherwise, pretty funny.

I don't really get what the Pirates are doing right now. They're 3 games back in the Wild Card race and they seem to have already thrown in the towel for the season.

I guess the Yankees sort of did the same thing and are only slightly worse, but being in a solid 4th place, as opposed to fighting for 2nd place makes a huge difference.

It's a reference to an incident three years ago where Jean Segura stole first base

Fun fact: I was at Miller Park for both the Segura stealing first incident AND for Braun tripping around 3rd attempting an inside-the-park HR. Guess I just have this aura when I attend Brewer games

It's a reference to an incident three years ago where Jean Segura stole first base

Fun fact: I was at Miller Park for both the Segura stealing first incident AND for Braun tripping around 3rd attempting an inside-the-park HR. Guess I just have this aura when I attend Brewer games

Funny I don't remember it, since it was a Cubs game. I must have missed that one.

I don't think I've ever witness that level of craziness in a baseball game, but I only get to go maybe once a year, if I'm lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from getting swept by the Cubs, the Pirates are still in the thick of things. I wonder where they would have been if they had actually been buyers and not sellers at the trade deadline.

The Pirates swept us at Miller Park, that's rare :(

The Pirates have poor management, that's what. They're the Cincinnati Bengals of the MLB. Can't ever win a playoff game because it doesn't seem like the management cares to get them to. Notice they keep reaching the playoffs, but don't win anything in it.

Someday this has to change, but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

The Pirates have poor management, that's what. They're the Cincinnati Bengals of the MLB. Can't ever win a playoff game because it doesn't seem like the management cares to get them to. Notice they keep reaching the playoffs, but don't win anything in it.

Someday this has to change, but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

Trading away the best asset in their Bullpen when they're still in contention was quite perplexing. Then they were in denial about being sellers this year, trying to say that wasn't a sign that they were giving up this year.

Huge lifelong Phillies fan. It's not so good now, oof

I also started watching the Giants in '08 because of Lincecum - he was sooo much fun to watch. They have been doing marginally better (to say the least) than the Phillies as of late, but I haven't been able to keep up because I have to wake up at 4AM each day on the east coast, so that leaves 0 time for west coast ball. I love Buster, tho, and would be tickled pink to see the Giants win again on an even year.

The Pirates swept us at Miller Park, that's rare :(

It seems the Pirates forgot how to win, lately.

Huge lifelong Phillies fan. It's not so good now, oof

I also started watching the Giants in '08 because of Lincecum - he was sooo much fun to watch. They have been doing marginally better (to say the least) than the Phillies as of late, but I haven't been able to keep up because I have to wake up at 4AM each day on the east coast, so that leaves 0 time for west coast ball. I love Buster, tho, and would be tickled pink to see the Giants win again on an even year.

I've known a couple Phillies fans and one Giants fan. I'd say it's 90% either Cubs or Cardinals, here, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Marlins Pitcher Jose Fernandez died in a freak boating accident today. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17632541/miami-marlins-ace-jose-fernandez-dies-boating-accident

Prayers to his friends and family, far to young to go

Edited by Rezzy