Does Anybody still like Awakening more than Fates.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...

It's a mixed bag. On the one hand, Fates has infinitely superior level design to Awakening; I can't think of a single map in Conquest at least that I don't at least like. On the other hand, Awakening's story, while bad, is far better than Fates. Finally, Awakening doesn't have nearly as much stupid rng shit.

Edited by blah the Prussian

no

Gameplaywise it was a disaster for me.

Poor map design and only rout and defeat boss missions.

How original for a 13th FE part. .__.

And about the story... no comment. lol

But even the horrible "story" doesn't make FE13 automatically a bad FE game for me.

I focus more on the gameplay than on the story... and the gameplay completly failed there.

Even FE3 has more mechanics (dismount) and weapons (ballistas).

PS: FE14 hasn't been released in my country yet, but I've heared and read that at least Conquest has made improvements in mentioned points.

The map design shall be pretty good.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Well at least people are being honest. There are things better handle in Fates compared Awakening. Like more balanced pair up and stuff but I don't know I guess Awakening at least for me was more fun. I like fates don't get me wrong it just grinding was more fun in Awakening, probably because grinding in Conquest feel like an shore, but in Revelations it's like Awakening 2.0 for me. I personally like Awakening story I think it pretty good.

Edited by mikethepokemaster

Awakening had my waifu Nowi tho...

The main thing I liked about Awakening though was that its story, while full of holes and problems, still felt more competent than Fates' story, and Robin somehow wasn't as insufferable as Kamui. The player worship in fates gets extremely grating after very little time... But gameplay-wise it's hard to argue that Awakening's pretty bad and a lot of the characters themselves are really poorly written, albeit with potential and/or good moments strewn about. On that note though uh it also had better crit quotes in general don't even lie to yourself about that here. Fates has some good ones every now and again but they're rather uncommon...

One thing I found that I really missed when I booted up Awakening the other day is that it also has a far superior UI to Fates'. Like, what were they thinking? You can't even see unit weaknesses anymore, so much data is omitted it's awful. But more importantly, the game's colors. Awakening itself feels very vibrant and full of life, it just kind of pops, if you know what I mean. Fates on the other hand feels much more bleached out and dull and I'm not even just talking about Nohr, which is a particular offender but for story reasons. It just feels straight-up somewhat oppressive when you go from the strong colors Awakening's world used compared to Fates'. ...That reminds me, Awakening actually had a comprehensible world map, while Fates' world map is just... a hodgepodge of earthy colors slapped together with some landmarks plonked on it. It's meant to be viewed with 3D on, but it just doesn't do its job at being a map no matter what you do.

Oh wait, this wasn't "what did Awakening do right"... Uh... well to answer the question I sadly can't say I do. It has things I like but it's plagued with too many problems which Fates generally fixed for me to like it more... Fates is just the better game but with possibly one of the worst stories in the series. Which is a damn shame because it had potential to be fucking amazing but they botched the hell out of it in the name of the avatar. And its marketing strategy was straight-up detestable, too... What ever happened to that demo we were supposed to get where you played the first 6 or 7 chapters or whatever it is up to the route split and THEN bought the path you wanted? It freaking never happened, ugh.

I couldn't judge if I wanted to...

We're on the same page, when Fates comes out in europe it comes out in Aus. I think though that I prefer Awakening over Fates purely because I can have a female Grandmaster and the skills I like (save shadowgift but that's not really a point).

I like a lot of the gameplay/mechanics changes in Fates.

Both stories are fine, IMO, although I haven't finished Revelations yet, so... jury is still out, I guess.

I've actually been thinking about this lately and... for some reason the characters of Awakening... I don't want to say they are better but something about them seems more iconic to me. Maybe it's just that they have been around longer, I don't know. Maybe time will tell.

Sure. Fates has the worst story out of any game I've ever personally played, and there are so many frankly insulting moments and and characters that it overshadows the overall fantastic gameplay.

Fates beats Awakening in terms of gameplay and maybe the soundtrack, but I prefer Awakening's overall atmosphere and characters, which I tend to value higher. Also, Awakening has Future Past which, while it absolutely doesn't substitute the main story, is the best storyline Intelligent System has ever written so far in my opinion.

Not only do I think that Fates is better than awakening I don't see me ever revisiting awakening because of it. In my eyes fates makes awakening irrelevant, since fates basically fixes all my problems with awakening gameplay wise (well conquest at least, but I still think birthright and rev are least better than awakening though) while still being awakening for the most part .... And I don't like awakening story or the bulk of the characters so there's nothing I want to go back to....if I want to play awakening I am just gonna play fates.

Edited by Locke087

There are some parts about Awakening I like more the kids being for one actually make sense in Awakening and are a critical plot point whereas they are shoe horned in in Fates. Otherwise, I prefer Fates in just about every way with the more balanced pair up and weapons and just overall refinement of mechanics. Also I really dig My Castle.

I only care about gameplay. Conquest destroys awakening.

That said, I can think of few games(or even books) with a story worse than Conquest. My summary of it is that you are playing a Messiah simulator where you can brainwash everyone into worshipping you, and while you are capable of mistakes, you can unleash groupthink upon your friends to get them to claim that it was out of your control and force your enemies to apologize for BEING IN THE RIGHT! Also lots of loyalty to people for the person they used to be without ever having to actually show said past kind self, which makes everyone look like a lemming.

It's hard not to be sickened on some level from that. Even though Awakening story fails to build up its villains or tension, it is still a standard globetrotting fantasy epic at its core. The characters bother me much more than the plot fallacies of what Grima's abilities are or yen fay's gullibility.

Characters have had gimmicks throughout the series, but I feel that awakening pushes them further than before. I honestly feel that the likes of Gauis have a psychological condition that forces them to make candy related puns in every sentence. That's fine for say, The beekeeper sketch in Secret Policeman's Ball, but in Awakening it overstays after the 4th time(at best), as there is a LOT of conversations to go through.

I eventually came to the conclusion that this was intentional to provoke the player into killing characters off out of spite, which would teach you low manning, which they had made the optimal gameplay BY DESIGN instead of accident for once.

All three Fates games are kind of ugly compared to other depictions of feudal era japan, especially in anime, which the art style is closest to. Awakening was kind of top-tier graphically for a hand-held system. I mean the battle-camera thing is a good idea, and the polys are high, but the setpieces and art direction hold Conquest back.

Lunatic + still puts Awakening ahead of Birthright and Revelations, although it doesn't save the game from "trade in status". Physical copies are the best.

I don't really think Awakening does much of anything better than Fates (including story/characters). Awakening is fine; it has some flaws but overall was still a good FE and was a huge step up from the DS remakes which did a lot to put me and many other players off the series. But it still had some big flaws such as its broken pairup system and ninja reinforcements, and by and large all those flaws are fixed in Fates, and then Fates went a step further and had a bunch of big design improvements I wasn't even anticipating, like how well put together its maps and enemy formations are.

i liked both games, i'm not hardcore into mechanics because FE games kinda all feel the same just little twist in turns on the game play here and there. I loved awakening regardless of what people say. But, i don't think i'll be returning to awakening i did one lunatic run to beat apotheosis and i am not gonna return to that lol

No way, Fates is far better than Awakening in my eyes. Better gameplay, story, and in some ways, characters. Well, I can only speak for Birthright so far, but still.

I do because I liked more the characters and story of awakening, I only like better in fates the gameplay and my castle features, I'm not fond of a lot of the cast on fates, also I have personal reasons as I first played awakening during special moments and place on my life so I still play awakening from time to time.

I like Awakening more than Fates. I think the characters in Awakening are better than in Fates, I also like the story like for Awakening better than Fates. But Fates does have more multiplayer features, so I guess it's ok, but in my opinion, Awakening is the superior version of FE

Awakening kinda had real life consequences for me... so yes. I found my real life waifu because of it.

However, from a completely gameplay perspective, Fire Emblem If has Awakening pretty much beat in design.

Gameplay: Conquest>>Birthright>>>>>>>>>>>>>Awakening

Conquest is probably one of the best FE's I've ever played, when I finish it(on chapter 23) i might end up changing my favorite FE.

Birthright feels almost as good as Conquest but I dislike the everyone is pretty much a glass cannon thing.

Awakening is only fun to me when I want to just snap a game in two.

Storywise: Birthright>>>>Awakening>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Conquest

Ok yea I'm exaggerating with Conquest but the bullshit Corrin says and The Trinity of Puppy Kickers really suck.

Birthright nothing horrible for me until the ending. To that point its just kinda a standered FE.

Awakening, no pacifism while someone is sending bandits in to raid villages is not an admirable trait.

Edited by Zerosabers

Right now, I like Awakening a bit better. Fates does a lot of things right, but it makes some monumentally horrible mistakes IMO. To wit:

1) Forging is just stupid OP. It's time consuming and expensive, but in Birthright and Revelation it's not difficult at all for every character to have double-digit attack weapons with crit and high accuracy.

2) Better ranked weapons having drawbacks. While at first, I thought I would like this, I then realized that you can forge into better weapons anyway so who cares. Right now, I just sell most high level weapons (except the unique ones) to pay for forging Iron weapons (and equivalent) to +4 and above

3) Kids. I like many of the kids, not as much as the Awakening kids (although my favorite kids are in Fates too so it's all good), but the Deep Realms is just monumentally stupid. That and the fact that assuming a 9 month gestation period, there is literally no way these kids have time to be born.

4) The story in Fates is just plain awful. All three paths, although Birthrights at least is consistent if boring. Conquest while having amazing levels and gameplay is just unbelievably bad.

5) I have to wonder why they bothered to nerf things like Galeforce and Lifetaker while allowing BS like Replicate & Warp to exist.

All that said, Fates has better levels, music, art, most of its mechanics are better as well so it's a close call.

While I recognize that Fates is superior in terms of game design and balance, I like Awakening's cast so much more than Fates' that it shifts my opinion in favor of Awakening. (Plus the older Fire Emblem fanservice like the Legacy characters and Legendary weapons is pretty cool too :Roy: )