Does Anybody still like Awakening more than Fates.

Serenity and Sorrow are probably the most relaxing pieces to me. A tranquillity of which I struggle to fall asleep without.

Speaking of music, I find that I like both Awakening and Fates' in that regard (although I do have a clear preference for Awakening, Fates' music is a close second). Mostly though I find that music tends to go over my head a bit... :(: unless I get the time to play through each song.

A shame I haven't had the chance to play the older games, but if they're anything like Conquest then there is little point in me trying. I scraped through it and even then I am willing to bet that I would without a shadow of doubt (no matter how hard I try not to) lose every single unit of the army. I am that bad...when I'm going in mostly blind (with story spoiled to hell). It's taken me three or more years to get a deathless and resetless (almost) run in Awakening on Normal mode. I've gotten Fates to the point where I can clear the first seven chapters on all three paths on hard mode classic. So I suppose I have learned something. I still don't like Fates that much though.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thing that both Awakening and Fates could have done is included the DLC music into the Sound Test once you've downloaded the DLC, not unlike how the Super Smash Bros. sound test updates to include the new DLC tracks.

I love Awakening. I play it from time to time and I don't think I'll get bored of it.

Good qualities of Awakening:

• The characters. I care much more for (almost) every character in Awakening. They seem to have much more depth and much more character in them than in Fates. I think most of them are not characters that one can forget easily.
  • Robin, I love Robin. He's much more likeable than Kamui and is not the main character, I'm not selfish enough to want every character in the game to worship me and tbh most of the time the player worship in Fates felt awkward, forced and tiring. Robin is intelligent and appeals to me more.
  • Music and design. It felt much more like Fire Emblem. (Although I have to admit the art was much more beautiful and detailed in Fates).
  • The kids actually made sense and had much more depth in them than the kids in Fates, which again felt very forced just for the sake of being there.
  • Villains like Yen'fay (need I say more?), Aversa, Pheros, Cervantes etc were actually good villains. Garon is just there to be bad!
  • I actually don't think the story is that bad. Yes, there are a lot of plot holes and nonsense and cliches, but for me, it was engaging and dramatic and I loved the ending if Robin is sacrificed.

I think that's all. I loved Fates of course, but Awakening has a special place in my heart I don't think will be easily replaced. Fates had outstanding music and map design, but for the most part, it felt like something was missing. And the plot was really stupid at some points.

A thing that both Awakening and Fates could have done is included the DLC music into the Sound Test once you've downloaded the DLC, not unlike how the Super Smash Bros. sound test updates to include the new DLC tracks.

I didn't realise that was a thing! O.O I know that they have the Records Hall in Fates where you can listen to the music that you've unlocked from each playthrough of Fates, but I hadn't heard of that being possible in Awakening (having gone to youtube to look up the soundtrack to hear it). Where do I need to go to find them on Awakening?

I didn't realise that was a thing! O.O I know that they have the Records Hall in Fates where you can listen to the music that you've unlocked from each playthrough of Fates, but I hadn't heard of that being possible in Awakening (having gone to youtube to look up the soundtrack to hear it). Where do I need to go to find them on Awakening?

The sound test is under the extras menu in the Main Menu.

It's where you can see the theater, support log, and voice language options.

It's available upon clearing Endgame the first time.

Main Menu > Extras > Unit Gallery

The Unit Gallery is where you can see the models of all the playable units that you have recruited at some point, view their animations, and change the scenery. Appearance of the children and avatars are based on the last save files loaded. The Unit Gallery is also where you can listen to the game soundtrack.

Edited by Roflolxp54

It's difficult to say. I like Awakening and Fates for different reasons, but at the same time, they have some cons.

Starting with the Avatar/Player Character, I definitely prefer Robin to Kamui/Corrin. The constant fawning over Kamui got a little irritating and I don't like how they were the main topic of some supports. Like the support between Xander and Ryoma had so much potential, but in the end they just talk about Kamui. I think that's why I like Takumi: He was wary of Kamui when they first arrived and while his attitude may be irritating, it was pretty realistic...

But I digress.

Robin gets some crap from fans because of the option you're given at the end of the game. Personally, this pales in comparison to Kamui. He's not the center of several support conversations and nobody seems to be head over heels like they were with Kamui. I also like the bond Robin has with Chrom and (potentially) Lucina.

One interesting thing about Awakening is how marrying either Chrom or Lucina has impact on the actual story. In chapter 22, the dialogue carries out differently based on your choices. In Fates, if you marry (let's say) Xander or Leo, their dialogue doesn't change when they're trying to convince the Nohr siblings that Garon is clearly off his rocker. So in a way, it feels kinda off to me.

I'm not one to harp on gameplay mechanics, so I'll make it simple. I feel Fates is more fun to play? They take away the weapon durability which takes away some challenge, but I don't know, I just find it more entertaining in combat compared to Awakening. I also like how Conquest mixes things up a bit with the maps... There's more than just "rout the enemy" or "defeat the boss".

The story of Awakening and Fates are both nice, but I think the three paths of Fates makes it less likable. Conquest, for example, was a letdown story-wise because it was like you were bullying the Hoshidans because Kamui and her siblings were too conflicted to stand up to Garon. The actions of both Kamui and (moreso) Azura in this path were also extremely questionable and downright stupid (put bluntly).

I like the time-travel mechanics of Awakening, but it seemed to start out pretty slow for me. It didn't really pick up in plot until the war between Ylisse and Plegia ended. Perhaps I felt that way because as Robin, you kinda just... get thrown in the middle of things. You don't see the war from the beginning, but you see it to the end. Fates seemed to jump right into the story before chapter 6; you get to see two sides of the coin by starting in Nohr and winding up in Hoshido by chapter 4.

On a final note, in Awakening, the children come from the future and they're their own persons. The baby Lucina is not the same Lucina from the original timeline; same goes for the other unborn children. In Fates, it seems right after you marry they jump right into having a baby then placing them in the Deeprealms to speed up their ages. I always felt that was kinda odd and I preferred the decision they made in Awakening.

I know a lot of people get squicked out when it comes to marrying My Unit with one of the "children"/second generation... But I don't think in Awakening it's as big of a deal as it is in Fates. I would think Fates would be a little more weird considering the circumstances.

Anyway, those are my opinions. I rambled more than I intended to, but oh well. Truthfully, both are great and I have a hard time choosing because I like some things in Fates that I dislike in Awakening and vice versa.

I prefer Awakening' s difficulty as opposed to the bullsh*t that is phoenix mode.

you like getting ambush spawned by units with counter, hawkeye, luna+, and vantage+

and you like getting ambushed spawned?

I prefer Awakening' s difficulty as opposed to the bullsh*t that is phoenix mode.

Phoenix mode is irrelevant if playing Fates on Hard or Lunatic difficulty; it can only be enabled on Normal difficulty. It is also disabled completely on Royal Royale DLC map, even if you're playing Normal-Phoenix on that file.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Well, I've been looking at this topic for a while and still thinking but might as well say it. Yeah I think i like Awakening more than Fates. There are a lot of reasons but I'll just say my three biggest one.

1. Awakening has better magic attack animations... The Tomes in Fates are mostly just... bland or normal. For example, Mjolnir looks like the Thunder Tome but bigger and it slams down on the enemy. I mean Awakening's does the same thing but at least the thunder looks big. Ragnarok is probably the only cool one. I like how they spent a lot of time on making the scrolls look cool, but I'm more of a Tome user...

2. Awakening has "better" grinding which I'm sure a lot of people know but I'll explain anyways. Infinite Paragons and Veteran for MU, Morgan and other daughters/sons who can learn Veteran. Fates feels more like FE7 grinding which I don't mind but it's just harder to tank and give EXP to your weaker units in story. (Yes I know you can grind in Birthright/Revelation and EXP DLC but those feel like either impossible because enemy has random forged weapons, the EXP DLC is gets harder as you progress or RnG screws you over like always lol.)

3. Lastly, this is just my personal opinion... In Awakening, if you play as Male Avatar and marry a 1st Gen female, everyone else can still marry others and you'll have all the children unlike Fates. Unless you marry Avatar only support, you can't get all the children as Male Avatar which bugs me... I like to get all the characters if possible because it feels like my hard work paid off even if I don't use some of the characters.

Well that's my biggest three why I like Awakening more than Fates.

Edited by ZeroFinal

I had actually acquired all three Fates paths BEFORE getting Awakening, I must say that I personally prefer Awakening. It just feels a lot better to play, the supports are more enjoyable for me, and I prefer the weapon durability aspect of all the FE games outside of fates. It also is more challenging IMO, as I have gone through Lunatic Revs with no deaths, but Luna Awakening I can't even start...

That's the thing with personal opinions on Lunatic.

I feel like Fates Lunatic is a lot more better designed.

While Awakening Lunatic early game feels like it's designed to shred you to pieces. Especially ambush spawns.

Edited by shadowofchaos

That's the thing with personal opinions on Lunatic.

I feel like Fates Lunatic is a lot more better designed.

While Awakening Lunatic early game feels like it's designed to shred you to pieces. Especially ambush spawns.

The problem I had with Fates Lunatic in Birthright and Revelation was that it offered no real challenge - at some point in Revelation you just steamroll everything regardless of difficulty. I don't like Lunatic in Awakening either, but surely there must be some kind of middle ground here.

I kind of do. Fates didn't completely buy me. I mean, the map design (at least for Nohr) is pretty insane, but that's not everything. awekening seems to have bought me more on the story/characters aspect. I just feel very comfterble with it, and Fates still feels very "alien" to me. I just can't get super used to it.

The problem I had with Fates Lunatic in Birthright and Revelation was that it offered no real challenge - at some point in Revelation you just steamroll everything regardless of difficulty. I don't like Lunatic in Awakening either, but surely there must be some kind of middle ground here.

As for me, Lunatic Birthright is offering a decent challenge when you omit all the gaidens and ban lowmanning.

Besides Ryouma removing everything wherever he is, distributing experience to less used units are giving me a better playthrough than Lunatic+ ever did in Awakening.

That's just my perspective as someone who feels like Awakening Vanilla lunatic felt like a brute force difficulty.

I will, despite my reasoning with Nohr, maybe never consider Fates better than Awakening. I personally like the fact that you can make a story in a story (if you were so inclined to do so), and you have better stats, and no unit is better in every way. Also, The Wellspring of Truth paralogue and The Radiant Hero paralogue were the best I've seen in Normal (aka Easy) and Hard (aka Normal) There also isn't a prepromoted unit that can destroy everything and be super fast. Of course, Lunatic (aka Hard) players and Lunatic+ (aka Pretty Much The Mode That I will Never Play) players might say Fates is better. I do know that I perfer Awakening, but I'm sure people aren't going to agree, but, that's just me.

It's kinda a big mess for me : I'll always like Awakening because it's my first FE game ever.

But after playing Fates, I'm 50/50 with Awakening: I like the story and the children but I don't like the gameplay at all compare to Fates.

On the other hand, I like Fates gameplay but I despite its story and the children.

I'll comeback to Awakening one day but not now.

Of course, Lunatic (aka Hard) players and Lunatic+ (aka Pretty Much The Mode That I will Never Play) players might say Fates is better. I do know that I perfer Awakening, but I'm sure people aren't going to agree, but, that's just me.

I like Fates better and I can't even get past Chapter 2 on Vanilla Lunatic in Awakening.

As for me, Lunatic Birthright is offering a decent challenge when you omit all the gaidens and ban lowmanning.

What do you mean "ban lowmanning"? It's not exactly a bad strategy. It allows me to distribute experience better, as my characters will use it a lot better, as opposed to having a weak-ish team of 12 people. It's a really solid strategy.

Edited by Soul~!

What do you mean "ban lowmanning"? It's not exactly a bad strategy. It allows me to distribute experience better, as my characters will use it a lot better, as opposed to having a weak-ish team of 12 people. It's a really solid strategy.

I'm not saying low manning is bad.

I'm a weirdo when it comes to self imposed limits. I literally try to level up everyone I can even with no grind and no paralogue clauses and deploy everyone. (Probably will change in Conquest Luna)

For example: I'm so much for original classes I did not reclassified ever during my first runs on Awakening and in every route of Fates.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Let me put it bluntly.

I think in terms of music, character designs and storywise, Awakening does it better than Fates. But Fates really tops it interms of Gameplay as much as I love Awakening.

That being said, it doesn't make Awakening a bad game infact if it weren't for that game, Fates wouldn't have existed in the first place as I still will have my respects towards Awakening. Afterall, how can I forget Tharja?