• Morgan
    • Other?!
  2. 2. Who will get the most MVPs?

• Robin
    • Frederick
    • Lucina
    • Morgan
    • Other?!

Yes, units that are adjacent will automatically fight together (the game appears to pick whoever has the highest support level), both when attacked or making attacks. It happens 100% of the time, but is not the same as pairing up, because it doesn't provide the stat boosts. However, it will still provide the Hit/Avoid/Dodge/Crit support bonus as normal, as well as the chance for Dual Strikes and Dual Guards. Interestingly enough, paired units can still support too. So let's say you've got Sully alone with Fred/Chrom paired up beside her, Fred will still show up as her support if she attacks or is attacked. This allows you to do stuff like what I suggested before with a lone Virion attacking from beside Fred to trigger a Fred Dual Strike.

One thing to note that may make your life easier: so long as someone enters battle with a partner, they can still survive 100% enemy hit rates if you can rig a Dual Guard, because that blocks absolutely everything.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This (the dual guard) doesn't really make my life that much easier because there is still a problem with odds being too low cumulatively, but the info on adjacent units pairing up is good to know. I mean, nominally you can 2 turn Chapter 1 and 2 but especially the latter requires a ton of low % crits from both Robin and Fred, so it's practically impossible.

The most important thing for me is that I want the knight in the NW corner to target Sumia (who is paired with Stahl) over Sully (alone, but has Fred next to her). If I can do that, then everything should work out, except rigging the crits for Robin. I actually think it's OK for Sully to die if I don't need her anywhere else in the playthrough (and I don't believe I do since I have Sumia now). I can test all of this stuff out later.

Edited by ruadath

Hmmm, I'm not sure how the AI is going to behave there. It will normally go for a kill if it sees one, but both Sully and Sumia/Stahl are going to be in death range (27 Attack versus 20HP/7Def and 18HP/5+2Def. I think it should end up trying to target the lone Sully because it'll have a higher hit chance against her, though (Sumia will have 19 Avoid and Sully will have 11, provided Sully doesn't have enough people beside her to stack up the +10 Avoid bonus). If the Knight does end up going for Sumia for some weird reason, try getting someone else safely beside Sumia. Stahl and that other person will push her to getting both +10 Hit and Avoid. If that's still not enough, try giving Sully a Bronze Sword.

Turns out I was actually just being silly and this is pretty straightforward to 3 turn (without anyone dying) with some minor changes. The only significant RNG abuse comes on the first EP, and that too is only because I want to maximize EXP gain for Robin on the first enemy phase. Having Sully at D Lances was still essential though, and Robin will get the boss kill in this clear (which should take her up to level 8, I think).

EDIT: Actually Robin and Fred fall just short of killing the boss (unless double dual strike), so there is a little bit of extra RNG abuse there, but it's not so bad.

Edited by ruadath

I'll have a detailed post with everything written up soon (I cleared the chapter already), but the key differences are:

1) if I'm willing to attack the boss from range (i.e. with Robin), then I can keep Fred in the lead instead of Sully on turn 2, and he has no chance of dying. If he is in the lead, he can also chuck a couple of Javelins at the nearby knight

2) that same knight was the one I though I had to crit because he would block up the passage after attacking the people who open the door (originally Sumia+Stahl for me). However, it ended up being much simpler just to have Robin transfer Chrom over to Stahl on turn 2; then after Fred damages the knight with his Javelin, on the EP the knight attacks Chrom (who survives thanks to Stahl's Def bonuses) and dies because Rapier.

Chapter 3

Preparations: The default deployment works except that I switch Stahl and Sully so that the latter is in the NW corner. Also, I trade Sully and Stahl's Bronze weapons (so he has the lance)

AHxUg8s.png

Turn 1 PP: Chrom pairs up with the Avatar, and they move west and recruit Kellam, ending their turn with the Avatar in the lead and Robin equipped with Thunder. Kellam moves back east to Robin's starting position and forks his Javelin over to Sully. Frederick pairs up with Sully and they move as far NW as they can go; Sully trade-equips Fred with his Silver Lance and then she attacks the Door Key archer with the Javelin, killing him with a Dual Strike. Sumia pairs up with Stahl, and they move up NW as well (Stahl in the lead). Everyone else just moves west (but stays out of enemy range)

iSMStme.png

Turn 1 EP: This is where the major RNG abuse is. First the other archer attacks Stahl, but he dodges. Then the knight attacks Robin, hitting her, but Robin doubles him and a Chrom DS (with the Rapier) finishes him off so Chrom hits level 3. The soldier attacks and dies thanks to DS as well, sending Robin up to level 7.

DUyhRNd.png

Turn 2 PP: Lissa heals Robin to reach level 2. Robin moves up a couple of spaces, switches to Chrom so he can take the Door Key from Sully, then (after switching back) exchanges Chrom with Sumia and takes out the remaining archer (Sumia DS happened for me, 13% crit on either strike is also possible). Stahl moves up to the door, and switches to Chrom so he can open it. Sully advances as far as she can, then switches to Frederick, who takes back the Javelin and equips her with the Iron Lance, before chucking a couple of Javelins at the enemy knight. The stragglers just move west to keep out of enemy range.

PrMPbGB.png

Turn 2 EP: The injured knight suicides on Chrom's Rapier. The enemy units on the northern half of the map begin to mobilize, with an archer and myrmidon attacking Fred.

mgUhkrL.png

Turn 3 PP: Lissa heals Robin again, Robin switches with Sumia, who exchanges her with Stahl by Chrom, then Chrom exchanges Robin with Sully and kills the archer (switching back to the Falchion to conserve Rapier uses). For RNG purposes, I move down south and have Vaike attack someone (paired with Kellam so he doesn't die). Fred takes Robin up to the boss, equips the Silver Lance, then switches to her, and they get rid of her with a double dual strike. Robin gets to level 8.

VBv0w2x.png

Robin gets supports with both Fred and Chrom!

UNIT     CLASS          LEVEL  HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES  WEXP
Chrom    Lord            3.71  22   9   1  10  10   7   8   1  D Swd
Robin    Tactician       8.24  26  13  12  10  15   5  11   7  E Swd D Tome
Lissa    Cleric          2.19  17   1   6   5   5   8   4   4  E Stf
Fred     Great Knight    4.28  31  16   2  15  13   8  16   3  D Swd A Lnc D Axe
Virion   Archer          2.00  BASE                            D Bow
Sully    Cavalier        2.73  BASE                            E Swd D Lnc
Stahl    Cavalier        2.10  BASE                            E Swd E Lnc
Vaike    Fighter         3.10  BASE                            D Axe
Miriel   Mage            1.10  BASE                            E Tome
Sumia    Pegasus Knight  1.11  BASE                            D Lnc
Kellam   Knight          5.00  BASE

C Supports:
Chrom x Robin
Chrom x Frederick
Robin x Frederick
Robin x Sully

So that's pretty cool, especially Robin building up supports to make Dual Strikes easier. Regarding strategy for the next chapter, I think I can 2 turn it, and I'm definitely going to grab Orsin's Hatchet from Renown, since (along with a Str Tonic), I believe this allows Fred to reliably kill fighters without DS.

Nice clear. I'm more amused by Robin still being at D tomes than I should be.

For the Fighters, did you account for the chance that they'll get HP+5? Depending on how much RNG you require in the rest of the map, I guess you could just reset until they all don't have it. In any event, a Virion C Support or just Vaike will give Fred the damage he needs to make the Orsin's one-round HP+5 Fighters. Wasn't sure if you were planning to give him a partner, since the map only has 6 deployment slots.

Nice clear. I'm more amused by Robin still being at D tomes than I should be.

I actually have a question about this. Resources on both this website and others say that WEXP is gained per round of combat (2 each round), and that the number of hits/misses doesn't matter. However, based on what I've been seeing (checking the game's memory), the number only increases by 1 each round of combat, and for paired unit it only seems to increase if they actually participate. Not sure if anyone can clarify this.

EDIT: Never mind, the game just stores WEXP in units of 2

For the Fighters, did you account for the chance that they'll get HP+5? Depending on how much RNG you require in the rest of the map, I guess you could just reset until they all don't have it. In any event, a Virion C Support or just Vaike will give Fred the damage he needs to make the Orsin's one-round HP+5 Fighters. Wasn't sure if you were planning to give him a partner, since the map only has 6 deployment slots.

No, I forgot about that. For the ones where that does happen, I'll just hope that Sumia procs a DS I guess (I'm planning to partner him with her). For reference, I think I'll probably deploy Chrom, Robin, Fred, Stahl, Sully, Sumia.

Edited by ruadath

Wait, so the game stores WEXP such that 10 in the variable means 20 in the site's notation? Makes me wonder how it ended up like this.

Whoops, I should've known you'd have Fred with a +Spd partner. For some reason, I just assumed his rigged levels would make him fast enough to naturally double, even though that's not possible at level 4.

This was relatively straightforward to do. Fewer turns (generally) means less RNG abuse, so I got this done in the span of ~10 hours! Seriously though, I've been playing this game pretty much non-stop for the last 5-6 days... I need to take a break and start studying for finals...

Chapter 4

Preparations: I buy an Str Tonic for Fred and take Orsin's Hatchet from Renown (give it to Fred). Deployment has Sumia up in the front next to Chrom, and Sully on the left. The rest don't matter.

fSGQbEa.png

Turn 1 PP: Fred pairs up with Sumia, and they charge 8 spaces north, switching back to Fred (who equips Orsin's Hatchet). Robin pairs up with Sully, and everyone moves to the locations shown in the image below. Note that Robin and Sully are equipped with Thunder and Iron Lance, respectively. It's important that Chrom and Stahl don't pair up.

lWmZHoN.png

Turn 1 EP: "Marth" attacks Fred, who hits back along with a Sumia DS to take "him" down to 21 HP. A mage attacks Robin, misses, and dies after getting doubled (with a Sully DS). The other mage suicides on Fred, along with a fighter. The knight attacks as well, and while I wasn't expecting this, I got lucky and Fred critted him so he died too. Fred is left with 8 HP. The fighter in the SW corner then attacks Robin, also missing, and gets killed by a DS, which sends Robin to level 9. Finally, the figher on the opposite side of the room attacks Chrom.

fwP0Hv4.png

Turn 2 PP: Stahl moves west of Robin and takes Sully so that they are both safe. Frederick moves southeast and takes out the fighter that attacked Chrom. Robin, who is at level 9 now has 16 Spd... and with Chrom's +5 Spd bonus, she can double "Marth." She does so from the northeast, with Chrom getting the kill from a DS (he has Rapier equipped to deal with the knight on the EP)

hZQ8ULA.png

Turn 2 EP: The fighter attacks Fred (he needs to dodge) and dies in the counterattack. The knight dies on Robin, with Chrom's DS. Double level up to end the chapter!

Dd6BUko.png

qTAdgCs.png

This is what I like to see! Robin picks up a new skill (Solidarity) too! And Chrom also hits C Swords, just in time to pick up the Killing Edge (if he wants it)!

t2L7FHU.png

Fred is taking each chapter as an opportunity to share MVP with a different character! No new supports, unfortunately :(

UNIT     CLASS          LEVEL  HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES  WEXP
Chrom    Lord            4.04  23  10   1  11  11   7   9   1  C Swd
Robin    Tactician      10.13  28  15  14  12  17   6  13   7  E Swd D Tome
Lissa    Cleric          2.19  17   1   6   5   5   8   4   4  E Stf
Fred     Great Knight    4.88  31  16   2  15  13   8  16   3  D Swd A Lnc D Axe
Virion   Archer          2.00  BASE                            D Bow
Sully    Cavalier        2.95  BASE                            E Swd D Lnc
Stahl    Cavalier        2.10  BASE                            E Swd E Lnc
Vaike    Fighter         3.10  BASE                            D Axe
Miriel   Mage            1.10  BASE                            E Tome
Sumia    Pegasus Knight  1.54  BASE                            D Lnc
Kellam   Knight          5.00  BASE

C Supports:
Chrom x Robin
Chrom x Frederick
Robin x Frederick
Robin x Sully

Gold: 4850

Renown Items Claimed: Orsin's Hatchet

So Robin already level 10! I guess this means I can second seal her to PK for the next chapter... although this comes at the cost of losing 1-2 range (at least until she hits D in Lances), so I need to be careful. Chrom reaching level 4 means he now gives a point of Str in pair up bonuses, which is useful. It's a little bit sad how his Spd/Skl bonuses will now be almost entirely useless for Robin once she reclasses to PK (20 Spd already, with a +2Spd skill means she can double everything without bonuses).

Hey, it should at least help make your RNG-rigging a bit easier. +5 Spd and +4 Luk is +9.5 Avoid, which is pretty non-trivial. Coupled with the C-support with Chrom, that's 19.5 extra Avoid just for pairing him to her. Her stats after changing to Peg will give her 19.5 Avoid, so Chrom doubles her dodginess. And there's a lot of axes in C5, so she'll appreciate every point she can get.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Peg Knight Robin.

Hmm, I wonder. With "only" 15 Str and Bronze Lances though, won't she value +5 Str from Fred more (at least for the first chapter after promotion)? I haven't really taken a look at the Chapter 5 map yet, but reading Gradivus' strat I also imagine that Chrom can replace Lonqu and wreak havoc with the Killing Edge for some EXP gain which he might want? Not too sure about this.

Also, I could use some advice about staff users for this game. Rescue is an E rank staff, so anyone can use it I guess... I figure Libra is the most obvious person to do things because of his high magic stat. Do I need more? How many of them, and who should it be? I see some people saying things about training Ricken, but what about Maribelle? Will her extra Mov not be important? Hopefully you guys can give me some idea of what's going on here lol

Hmmm, she might, so long as you don't need Fred off leading, since he'll be your only competent 1~2-range character and there's a bunch of Mages and Dark Mages on this map (with Robin being stuck with a Bronze Lance and Chrom being sword-locked). It'll let her one-round Myrms, though, but not Barbs (22 Attack after WTD vs 38HP/4Def). She'll probably enjoy the extra Def, though and C support with Fred and his +1 Spd for pair will still grant +11.5 Avoid. Still, she'll be facing 29 Attack from Barbs and 29-31 from Wyvs (which she also definitely won't be one-rounding without help) after they get WTA.

Chrom might be able to replace Lon'qu. Looking at the stats, Chrom's got more Def and way more Str, but less Spd. This is low enough that he won't double Dark Mages without a Spd support. He also won't have Avoid+10, making him less dodgy. I guess the question is if you think you'll need Lon'qu later in the run. Chrom tends to be at his best as a support, which removes him as a candidate for being a lead unit.

As far as Rescue goes, I'm not entirely sure how many times you'll need more than one (at least in enough cases to cover the hefty cost associated with getting a second). Candidates for a second are kind of dismal, though. Lissa would normally be one, but the LTC has left her pretty starved. Maribelle has very poor base Mag and Miriel starts at a low level. Anna is the only other good drop-in staffer and that requires a detour to Paralogue 4, which obviously costs turns. Ricken could maybe work, but that's 7 levels of EXP before he can even use staves (but he has 10 Mag versus Maribelle's 5, which doesn't even give her a Rescue range equal to half her Move...). Any of these unpromoted units are going to require a Master Seal too. Unless you're doing rigging for Anna shops, Robin's getting the C8 one, which means the soonest Ricken can start doing this is mid-C10. Which I guess is potentially fine, since Rescues aren't sold until post-C12. Expect opportunities to train to be few and far, though, since maps are found of zergs and Ricken is slow and made of paper.

I think I'll have to review Gradivus's strats to say anything definitive, though.

This was relatively straightforward to do. Fewer turns (generally) means less RNG abuse, so I got this done in the span of ~10 hours! Seriously though, I've been playing this game pretty much non-stop for the last 5-6 days... I need to take a break and start studying for finals...

Forget that, you don't need the RL world XD

Also, 2 turns? LMFAO XD

Any major changes you can make to Gradivus run, to improve it even more? What do you think your "End" total turns will be?

Just realized I forgot to factor in Str Tonics. Robin can one-round Barbs with Fred that way. Still, you'll only be dealing 2x14 against a Wyv's 34 HP (meaning Fred will need to DS every one of those engagements unless you want to have them follow Robin around and get extra hits in). Then you have to deal with 1~2 range from 3 Dark Mages, 1 Mage, 1 Short Axe Barb and Orton. I guess maybe Sumia could fight the mages with a Javelin to try to get her partner Dual Strikes, but that's gonna be really heavy on the RNG. The scrubs could dog-pile them too, but Res is going to be low and Dark Mages bring Nos.

Also, with regards to Rescue users, I reviewed Gradivus's strats and looks like one user is good enough to get you to Paralogue 4. I forgot that the non-kid Paralogues were requirements in his run, so depending on whether or not you're also doing that with this run it may or may not change things up. Even if you don't have it be mandatory, though, a 2-turn clear will probably be less costly than trying to get Ricken 7 levels (granted, he'd have 1 more Rescue range if you can pull it off and rig every level for Mag, but he'll also have 2 less Move than Anna). Things really do strat to ramp up in speed after C12, to the point where Lissa and Maribelle get used, so I guess if you can get both Ricken and Anna going, that might give you more flexibility.

I don't think I'm planning to try and run this until the weekend at least, but I took a look at the map and here are my thoughts. Oh, but before I get into that I should mention a couple of other things, namely that I'm not going to make the non-kid Paralogues mandatory, and that although I would prefer not to, someone can have their Rescue range improved by taking the Renown Spirit Dust (it's not like Robin really wants/needs them). This could potentially make Lissa viable as a Rescue user; a couple more levels and a Spirit Dust already puts her at 10 Mag for a range of 5...

Anyway, for the discussion regarding the actual Chapter, let's assume we are going for a 3 turn here. For the same reasons that 2-turn clears of Chapters 1 and 2 were impossible, I don't see Robin destroying all the wyverns at the north end of the map; she's going to get wrecked by WTD, 2/3HKO, and not being able to do enough damage. Fred, on the other hand, stands a much better chance since he has WTA, Robin's evasion boosts (support and pair up bonus), forest tile advantage (can PK's get terrain bonuses in this game?), and "outdoor fighter," so I don't imagine he'll have problems with surviving. So this would require Robin and Fred pairing up and storming toward the northern edge of the map.

The key problem here, then is that no one else has a good way to kill stuff with 1-2 range, and this is an issue for the Short Axe bandit reinforcement. The only "reasonable" way to get this guy to suicide on the turn 3 enemy phase is to have Javelin!Sully paired up with Chrom; she can barely scratch him, but she won't die from the hit (unlike Sumia), and Chrom can take him out on the counter attack with a DS Killing Edge crit. Actually, if Sumia is on a fort and gets the Def bonus, she can survive too, and that might be better, because she can double him with Chrom's Spd boost (i.e. give Chrom 2 chances to attack). If I have them on the fort though, will the Hand Axe bandit even spawn? Not sure if it works like in other games where they appear beside you, or if they just won't appear.

There is also the problem of Fred having difficulty killing the boss, but this can probably be resolved by Str Tonics for both him and Robin, and perhaps and Iron Sword forge...

Yes, you can block reinforcements by standing on the Forts. The Short Axe Barb's one is in range of one of Orton's personal goons, though, so you'll probably need to pull him toward Fred during EP 2, unless you want the scrubs to have to deal with it. You'll probably want to block the SW Fort too on the same turn. Fred can either sit on the N Fort to block the Myrm, or end his turn in attack range, since enemies act on the same turn as they spawn in this.

Fliers do not gain terrain bonuses (other than the regen).

A couple of additional questions (one easy to answer and one not so much):

1) The boss for this chapter will move to attack if you get into his range, right?

2) What determines enemy move order? The reason I ask this is because I might want to take down the boss in 2 rounds (turn 3 PP and EP) with Orsin's Hatchet for the purpose of increasing, but then convoy it away so that I can conserve it for later chapters (and get back WTA against the rest of the wyvern riders). Is it reasonable to assume to boss will attack (Fred) first? That's what "Marth" did in the last chapter, but it seems to vary...

Orton will aggro with his group, so yes, he'll aggro if you get into his range, but if you aggro any of the four other Wyvern goons (the ones that don't immediately zerg), it will aggro all of them and Orton.

This isn't 100%, but the AI will generally give priority to moving units with targets to attack in this order: units that can score a kill, Mire and Longbows, bosses, 2-range units (including 1~2-rangers who might get forced into melee by positioning), melee. Sub-order within that appears to be by highest Attack, unless hit chance has a pretty extreme skew. After that, all enemies without a target will move. If a unit moving opens up an attack, I think the AI will jump right to doing that. The AI will also move blocking units to get a kill if it can, but only if that kill can be scored in a single attack (if there's no body blocking going on, the AI will happily focus fire someone they can mathematically kill, though).

So yeah, you should be able to count on Orton attacking Fred first.

I was hoping to keep this a surprise until I figured things out a bit more, but I'm kind of stuck on something...

I've confirmed that a 2-turn clear of this chapter is possible (up to some RNG abuse on the last turn that isn't so bad)... with a Ricken-Maribelle double suicide that prevents the enemy army from spreading itself too thin (i.e. keeps them all in range of a magic routing spot for Fred to slaughter them all on EP2). It's reasonably reliable, I think, although I break Orsin's Hatchet and probably go through about half of the uses of the Javelin, which is bad considering I don't get another 1-2 range weapon until Chapter 7 (Cordelia).

On the other hand, I think I have a couple of ideas for how to get around suiciding Ricken and Maribelle, but the problem is that I need to cover 4 spots on the 2nd turn, and their just aren't enough good people to do it properly. Fred+Robin get the main one, Chrom+Sumia get one on the eastern side of the map that deals with a barb, myrmidon, and zerg wyvern. Then there is the dark mage to deal with on the bottom of the map and a mage in the middle. Lonqu+Vaike/Kellam can probably deal with the guy on the bottom (assuming Nos doesn't connect), but who deals with the guy in the middle? I think this would actually be "OK," since you could do something stupid (i.e. Renown) like Beast Killer!Sully+Glass Sword!Stahl with a DS, but I think the bigger issue is that these guys aggro the other zerg wyvern and I'm not sure they have enough to deal with them. Perhaps you guys have some ideas?

Also, I know the above stuff looks pretty RNG-reliant because of the necessary pair-ups and such, but this is offset by the fact that Fred's job is astonishingly reliable since the enemy has terrible hit rates on him, he's not even 4HKO'd with a Def tonic, and (with the exception of the boss), he easily kills everything that attacks him with either a Robin pair-up or a Luna proc (I lol'd pretty hard when I saw him get that at level 5, because I wasn't expecting it and it just makes him even more OP than he already is), which IIRC gives him >90% success on each generic kill. Also, I should note because of weird AI stuff that's difficult to describe, if Ricken and Mari survive, then Fred doesn't even break the Hatchet, let alone touch the Javelin, which is very nice (he gets to convoy drop and switch to swords earlier).

EDIT: I should note that on Hard Mode, this would be "easy" to do (perhaps even on console?), primarily because of a competent Sumia can handle her spot by herself, leaving Chrom to be paired with Sully to take out the mage/zerg wyvern (although I suppose it is probably not the case that Chrom would reach C in Swords by this point in a HM playthrough, because he wouldn't be getting all the pair up WExp in Chapters 1 and 2. This isn't a problem though, since you can just swap Lonqu and Chrom's roles as enemy stats are reduced).

Edited by ruadath

Hmm, I've got an idea, but it's going to be pretty RNG-dependent and expensive if you choose to forge beyond +6 Crit. Run Sully with the Glass Sword and Miriel with a +6 Crit Thunder for taking down the Mage and zerg Wyv. Sully will have 18 Attack, which does 16 of the Mage's 28 HP and 8 of the Wyv's 34. Miriel would then need to Dual Strike both times (~24% per Dual Strike) and crit both times (with a +6 Crit Thunder, she's looking at 3% against the Wyv and 4% against the Mage), which would deal 15 to the Mage and 30 to the Wyv. Sully would also need a Def Tonic to survive the Wyv if it doesn't have Str+2 and a dodge if it does. Alternatively, you could forge the Glass Sword up to +12 Crit (I think it's forgeable, anyway) and give Stahl a Str Tonic, which would give Stahl a 5% chance of doing 30 damage, since he needs to cover the extra distance with Sully only doing 5 with the Beast Killer. The Stahl option is much more reliable, but it will cost you 3000 gold for a 3-use forge, compared to the Miriel option costing 1575 (includes both buying the tome and forging it), which nets you a 45-use tome that might help with your 1~2-range starvation over the next couple chapters. I guess there's also sending Virion and his Iron Bow forged to +4 Mt (2800 gold) with Glass Sword Sully. This will give them exactly enough damage to kill the Wyv (and grossly overkill the Mage) and Sully will also have as much durability as with Stahl. The advantage of the bow option is that you could have him tag along in the back with a tanky unit in C7 and C9 in case you need to do similar things to those Wyvs (granted, he still has to proc the Dual Strike...).

Wait, so bows do effective damage to Wyverns in this game? Wind too, I'm assuming? If so can I do something like Glass Sword!Stahl (with a Str. Tonic) + Ricken with Elwind, right? The only problem here is that I think these guys can't kill the mage (sadly), so Virion it is, I guess? Alternative, I think forging some Mt into the Glass Sword might work, but a Bow forge seems like it could me more useful in the long run.

Thanks for the advice, though! Two great things about what you said are that I now think this is actually doable and it seems like Beast Killer is unnecessary, which will help me reduce my dependence on Renown items.

Yep, bows and wind magic are back to doing effective damage against all fliers. I didn't suggest Ricken, since I wasn't sure how close you could get him to Sully/Stahl with your strat. However, if you did use him with Stahl, they'd be just short of killing both enemies with just the Str Tonic. Against the Mage, Stahl would do 19 with Glass Sword and Tonic and Ricken would do 8 with the Elwind, leaving him with 1 HP. Stahl would do 11 against the Wyv and Ricken would do 21. So your idea of forging the Glass Sword could work here and forging for +2 Mt will only cost you 900 gold too. The Iron Bow would still be more cost efficient (but more expensive up front), though.

And no problem. Always glad to help out.

A quick update here: it turns out I misjudged the zerg wyverns AI and they decided to charge further south and less east than I expected, screwing up my original plans for holding the middle on turn 2. It turns out to actually be OK though, because one of the wyverns moves into range where Ricken can blow him away, and the mage is easier to deal with than I thought because Robin can pair up from an adjacent space (is there a name for this) and DS to kill him.

The big unexpected issue, however is that Ricken needs to dodge and kill the other zerg wyvern on EP2. With a pair up partner and someone behind him (for the +10 Avo), he has a 25 disp dodge chance, which is 10% true dodge, which naively would seems reasonable... the problem is that with all of the other RNG abuse in this chapter, if you assume you want at least moderately good levels for Robin and Fred and that I have a method of efficiently cleaning up the boss (probably small Orsin's Hatchet forge plus big Bronze Lance forge)... you end up expecting odds of somewhere around ~100 million. This is not impossible to do, but pretty difficult, and will probably take me at least a week or so (if not longer) to actually carry out (it might be quicker if I was at home and had my desktop available).

One relatively "straightforward" solution to this problem would just be to turn a blind eye and grab the 3500 Renown Dracoshield and dump it on Stahl, taking him up to 10 Def. Then his Pair up bonus goes to +3 Def, which combined with Ricken's base 6 Def and 20 HP means he will just barely survive (note that Ricken will still probably get targeted because he gets doubled, whereas Sully doesn't and can survive one hit with WTA). But this feels kind of cheap, so I don't know... I also break the Glass Sword with this method, whereas the other method doesn't even use it (a little complicated to explain why), and the Glass Sword might have potential uses in later chapters? I don't really know.