Bad unit, good character, or Good unit, bad character?

Limstella

Good personality, bad unit:

• FE10 Tormod He's adorable but victim of FE10's poor character balance
  • Donnel My favorite character personalitywise in FE13, because he reminds me a bit on myself. However he needs much effort to become a good unit. Too much on higher difficulties.
  • Sophia for coming too late at level 1.
  • Micaiah My second most favorite lord behind Leaf, but her bases and growths are so problematic though. Either she gets doubled or even oneshotted. You literally must baby her through the entire game not to get a Game Over.
  • Leonardo I like all the DB members personalitywise but he's simply outclassed by Shinon and Rolf.

Bad personality, good unit:

• FE9 Calill joins with nice bases and excellent weapon level, but I hate her arrogance in her and Largo's recruitment. In the sequel I like her much more for being Amy's adoptive mom, but unitwise she became much worse.
  • FE10 Ike. Honestly not even a great unit without POR boosts, but still good overall. He has no personality development in FE10 and steals Micaiah the spotlight.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ike doesn't steal her spotlight though, Yune does. I'm honestly getting tired of having to correct people on this... However, I never did like that Micaiah was shoved aside like that. It should've been her and Ike, not Yune and Ike. I didn't like Micaiah at all as a result and felt she was poorly handled.

Edited by Anacybele

I actually wouldn't consider Nino bad, as she's one of the better implemented Ests. Unlike Sophia, her growths are distributed well and she's not too difficult to level, especially if you abuse the Mine Glitch. To me, and Est is only bad if they either A. have poorly distributed growths such that even putting effort into raising them won't make them a great unit, or B. they are incredibly hard to actually level, and Sophia is egregious for being both. FE6 in general has a ton of bad units, and I never play it without buffing them in Nightmare first because of that.

Anyway, while they're not 'bad' by any means, as Awakening doesn't really have any bad units, Emmeryn and Gangrel are a bit underleveled compared to the other spotpass units, whose stats are actually good enough for endgame, whereas those two need a bit of grinding first. But they're really neat and interesting characters whom I wish had more support options.

Bad unit/Good character: Totally Virion. He has amazing supports, like the chess one with Robin and I like his character design. It's a shame he's an archer with bad speed and strength and basically no redeeming factors.

Good unit/Bad character: Ugh Rutger. I can't stand him, he's just a generic edgelord but that critical bonus as a swordmaster and the HM bonuses are just too good not to pass up.

Most "Ests" are cool characters that really don't get much to do, but most prominent for me is Nino.

I don't really like most of Awakening's characters that much, especially Sumia, but I've heard she's the better of the two Pegasus Knights.

Wolt's my favorite FE character. He's a crap unit. Similar for Roy. Tbh I think Roy is the embodiment of bad unit good character.

Can't say I expected anyone else to have similar thoughts to my own.

Can't say I expected anyone else to have similar thoughts to my own.

There's a couple Wolt fans on here, not a lot though.

But yeah I wish he was more useful, even if I'm still gonna favoritism him to hell.

yh5viAI.png

Ahem. On a topic other than fangirling over Wolt, Rolf. He's my favorite character in FE9, but he's got his fair share of issues as a unit. Still the guy who see most action, though.

Rhys is generally outclassed by Mist.

Leonardo is gr9 and can help out pretty well if you forge him a bow in Part 1 but his availability really sucks. Same with Tormod and Fiona

I hate Sain but he's probably the best not-Marcus in FE7. Seth is also as boring as a rock but I don't really need to explain how good he is. Rutger's an edgelord twat and Marcia's somewhat annoying

Most "Ests" are cool characters that really don't get much to do, but most prominent for me is Nino.

I don't really like most of Awakening's characters that much, especially Sumia, but I've heard she's the better of the two Pegasus Knights.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHA *pronounced dead by laughter*

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHA *pronounced dead by laughter*

Sumia actually is better than Cordelia...

Whatever, it's not like there's any point arguing with you.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I like Knoll but he's probably the worst character in FE8. Terrible dodge and terrible defense is probably the worst combination a unit can have.

I like Knoll but he's probably the worst character in FE8. Terrible dodge and terrible defense is probably the worst combination a unit can have.

....The crit shield Callech has?

Not that I don't agree, though he's a good summoner.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Bad unit/good character: While not a "bad" unit, Leo is pretty niche in what he can do, as he's an average-speed mage that is meant to tank other mages. He doesn't have the best hit rate, but Heartseeker gives him +20 hit if he's right next to an enemy. By late-game, he's not so good on the defense when two, maybe three non-magic hits will end him. Xander is Leo's opposite in the tanking department- but physical enemies are so much more abundant.

He's the "worst" (he's still a decent unit and perfectly usable) of the brothers overall.

Good unit/bad character: While not "bad" per se, Abel is relatively minor in the going-ons of the Akaneia games. But damn he's a good unit, and made me fall in love with the cavalier class. The Cain and Abel curse favored Abel in SD, hands-down.

....The crit shield Callech has?

Not that I don't agree, though he's a good summoner.

While the crit shield helps, it doesn't fix the fact that he has neither the speed nor the con to wield dark tomes.

Sumia actually is better than Cordelia...

Nope. Not when Cordelia can actually take hits AND deal nice damage. Sumia can't do either one of those. She's fragile as paper. All she has going for her is speed. Cordelia joins later than her, but not WAY later and still has good availability. Cordelia isn't that much slower than Sumia either, she gets enough speed to effectively double. Cordelia made me go "FINALLY, a Pegasus knight that I don't have to baby to keep alive or make useful."

Edited by Anacybele

^Personally, as someone who uses both, I've noticed that Sumia has an easier time doubling enemies without having to rely on pair up.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Well, her high speed was useless to me because she barely ever gets strength or HP or defense and can hardly ever kill anything.

Edited by Anacybele

Leonardo is gr9 and can help out pretty well if you forge him a bow in Part 1 but his availability really sucks.

How does his availability suck? He's in almost all of Part 1 (10 chapters out of 11), and is able to be used in all of the DB's chapters after that.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I'd take a good character/bad unit over a good unit/bad character any day:

So, bad units/good characters

FE6: Roy. Pity he promotes so late. ;_;

FE9: I'd take Lucia and Bastian over Mia and Soren any day. Lucia's my favourite FE character and Bastian is a magnificent bastard.

FE10: Fiona. A girl of colour and the daughter of a great Rider? So much wasted potential right there, IS...

Good units/ characters I find dull/irritating

FE7: Sain.

FE8: Ephriam

FE Tellius: Ike, Mia, Marcia.

How does his availability suck? He's in almost all of Part 1 (10 chapters out of 11), and is able to be used in all of the DB's chapters after that.

Because the DB doesn't have a lot of chapters after that.

Which are filled with enemy laguz, who give a lot more EXP than the human enemies do. Couple that with Paragon, and it shouldn't be all that hard to level up Leonardo decently enough for use for Part 4 endgame (assuming he can actually kill anything).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Which are filled with enemy laguz, who give a lot more EXP than the human enemies do. Couple that with Paragon, and it shouldn't be all that hard to level up Leonardo decently enough for use for Part 4 endgame (assuming he can actually kill anything).

Then again, just damaging a transformed laguz gives loads of experience. All told, he's my favoured recipient for Beastfoe.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia