-HELP WANTED- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance GBA Remake (Portable Radiance?)

Ike_da_Skrub

Hello! I, like many others, have found that owning a physical copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance has become impossible without first shelling out hundreds of dollars. Plus, who has time to plugin their Gamecube, sit down, and play a game anymore? Therefore, as my skills in Fire Emblem hacking are few, I am proposing a group project to remake PoR in a pixelated, more portable format.

This game will be called Fire Emblem: Portable Radiance (or Path of Radiance, we can vote on this later)

It will be based off of the FE7 Rom and will be as close to the original as humanly possible. Some features will have to be cut because either they are bad gameplay elements or they are not possible on the Gameboy Advanced hardware. These will include:

• Biorhythms
  • Laguz Gauges (will be replaced by claws, beak, etc. that function like infinite dragonstones, but with certain drawbacks)
  • Skills (unless someone can implement class-specific skills like Sol, Aether, Impale, etc.)
  • Bonus Exp. (unless someone can implement it easily)
  • Trial Maps (DLC???? ;): )
  • Support Bonuses
  • Automatic Class-Ups (unless able to be implemented, each character could come with a class-up item that only worked at level 20)
  • In-battle Recruitment (as far as I know this is not possible, except for villages)
  • The Ranger class (seriously, Intelligent Systems?)

This list is not final. Many things will be added to or removed from the list during development.

Now onto the positive stuff. The development team!! YAYYYYY!!! :KnollRoll:

I will act as the group/project manager and will be in charge of organization, updates and what the project should be like.

Here is the list of open positions that need to be filled and their requirements:

• Assistant Manager - Aids manager and handles problems with staff, file management, etc. Must be readily available to answer questions from staff.
  • Sprites:
    • Pixel Artist - Chief of Sprite staff. Someone who has past experience in FE pixel art creation. Must be able to adapt portraits, overworld sprites, in-battle sprites, and item icons from source material into the project.
    • Battle Animator - Similar to pixel artist, but for the characters' movements in battle. If able, can be combined with pixel artist.
    • Background and Tile Set Editor - Must be able to edit backgrounds and tile sets (terrain) to resemble source material.
  • Coding: (must be able to use Nightmare and other coding programs)
    • Chief Coder - Codes main game play elements, such as text and events, directly from the source material. Also manages other coders. Must have experience hacking GBA Fire Emblem titles
    • Character Coder - Codes all of the character info, stats, classes, etc. from source material.
    • Map Editor - Edits in-game levels to match the source material. Also edits movement costs.
    • Tutorial Get-ridder - Gets rid of the tutorial.
    • Weapon Coder - Edits weapons to match source material.
    • Menu Editor - Edits menus and such to match source material
  • Miscellaneous:
    • Compiler - Hardest job. Must compile all the data to make one coherent game. Must produce a demo with one level and all features and then produce the full game.
    • Bug Tester - Make sure all features work as they are supposed to.
    • Beta Tester - Much like the bug tester, makes sure every version of the patch is fully playable before release.

Many of these jobs can be take by one person if they have the necessary skill sets, so don't me scared off by the big staff. All members who work on or contribute to the remake project will have the name they prefer in the game's credits.

Alright! I f you have any questions about the projects, jobs, or want to sign up for a position, email me at gr8andepic1@gmail.com (don't spam me; It's a waste of time.)

Let's make this remake a reality!

Edited by Ike_da_Skrub

Why? It doesn't really add anything, not to mention the tome triangle would need to be programmed in, and that Light would still have to have it's own rank. Also, a lot of what sets PoR apart would be nearly impossible without years of both trial and error and years of experience. I wanted to do a Thracia 776 project, but now I'm holding out for FEXNA, which is probably in development purgatory right now.

How much are you willing to pay for the time and effort that it'll take to code most of these features from scratch?

Does borrowing a Gamecube Media Launcher from a friend with the ISO file of the game to play on my Gamecube because neither of our laptops can handle Gamecube emulation count as emulation?

no

First, this is useless. But I can understand, it can be fun when you have a lot of time ( if if you can do almost everything..)

Second, if someone need to do a fan game, FEXNA will be there for that (with a lot of things GBA didn't have..) Hacking is too much annoying work.

Quick question: Do you have any experience leading a project like this, or would you just be telling a bunch of people how to build a game for you?

What about hacking experience? You list needing a bunch of coders, but some of those jobs, such as getting rid of the tutorial, are not nearly as intensive as others. Your jobs aren't even very specific.

For example, what would a weapon coder do? Nightmare/nearly any hex editor can change weapon attributes, an artist would produce the sprites, and there really isn't much coding. Unless, that is, that you mean special weapon effects or mechanics outside of FE7.

I think that instead of listing a few things here, write up a large to-do list of goals and such. I'd suggest grouping things by something other than team members, as a lot of hacking is intertwined with other things. Look in to what other people have done, and see if there are any good resources available that would chop things off of your to-do list. Along with seeing what people have done, you need to find a good grasp of what can be done. Why can't the things you listed happen? What makes you think other things can/can't be implemented?

Above all else, you should bring something to the team, too. Telling a bunch of people to build you a game doesn't make you an asset.