First full play through, any tips?

Hello I'm Illusionist, and I'm new around here.

So as the title suggests I'm sitting down and playing through Binding Blade fully for the first time, I have previously gotten to chapter five, but I have decided to start a new game and I am now on chapter 2. But before I go any further I thought I'd see if there was any advice you guys had for me.

Edited by Illusionist98

You must get all the legendary weapons and not break any of them to get the true ending. Use this to help. Also, the first tier axe users virtually all suck and I wouldn't recommend them for long term use.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Bosses are no pushovers in this game. Be prepared for them or feel their full wrath! In other words, make sure you have a lot of your units near the boss before you start fighting them.

Not sure if you know this already, but the hit rate in this game is a little...wonky(as I like to call it). Sometimes enemies will hit you with low hit chances and sometimes you'll miss with high hit chances and it happens a bit more than it should. So make sure you have back up plans just in case something goes sour!

(Don't let that get you down though. The game is still pretty fun!)

Beware of spawning enemies because they attack the same turn they spawn in.

Roy promotes pretty late in the game, so be mindful of that.

(Not to scare you, but...)For the sake of your sanity, make sure you steadily train your Thieves and Flyers. Why? Chapter 14. Trust me, you'll thank me later!

Use Marcus to make your life easier, the Cavalier bros are both pretty good, and armor knights all suck I don't suggest using any of them for long term.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree on the Armor Knights. Maps also get pretty big as you go along and if you need to move, they may not be of much help. They are good early game, but they kinda fall after a while. They can be good, but they aren't super efficient(well, at least in this game).

You must get all the legendary weapons and not break any of them to get the true ending. Use this to help. Also, the first tier axe users virtually all suck and I wouldn't recommend them for long term use.

Yeah, the first axe users you get...are not that good unfortunately(and again, in this game). Wait till chapter 10(or 11 depending on which house you visit first in chapter 9[the ones in the top right of the map]), you'll get a much better Axe user.

Edited by Busterman64

I just beat chapter 5, I tend to take breaks between chapters so I haven't started chapter 6 yet, chapter 6 is new territory for me. I have noticed the wonky you hit rates.And yeah those axe users are not too great. I think Roy is turning out OK though considering his reputation, but I may be using him too much considering how late he promotes. He has, at level 7: 10 strength, 9 skill, 8 speed, 10 luck, 6 defense, and 3 res.

Bosses are no pushovers in this game. Be prepared for them or feel their full wrath! In other words, make sure you have a lot of your units near the boss before you start fighting them.

Yeah, the first axe users you get...are not that good unfortunately(and again, in this game). Wait till chapter 10(or 11 depending on which house you visit first in chapter 9[the ones in the top right of the map]), you'll get a much better Axe user.

Speaking of which, you'll learn to hate thrones in this game - they're dicks. They give a whopping +30 avoid.

I disagree - I think Gonzales isn't much better.

Speaking of which, you'll learn to hate thrones in this game - they're dicks. They give a whopping +30 avoid.

Yep thrones are dicks, especially Gel's. He has wtf Avoid.

And lets start a flame war again lev Gonzales is pretty good out of the potential Axe users you get(Ekhidna is good, Geese is eh, Ward 'n Lot are lol, Bartre is lol, Dieck and Oujay don't have the Con for axes and Generals promote from Knights so they're trash)

Dieck has 14 Con as a Hero, what are you talking about?

Still isn't as high as Gonzalez's 15 as a Brigand, even if Berserker only net's him +1. And Deke doesn't get +30 crit upon promoting to Hero.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

No, no, no! Not Gonzales(I never use him)! I was talking about Geese! Sorry for the misunderstanding, I kinda forget about Gonzales.

But just to make sure this is cleared up...

The axe fighter I was talking about is GEESE!

And lets start a flame war again lev Gonzales is pretty good out of the potential Axe users you get(Ekhidna is good, Geese is eh, Ward 'n Lot are lol, Bartre is lol, Dieck and Oujay don't have the Con for axes and Generals promote from Knights so they're trash)

Actually, Gel is on a Gate, which isn't as bad as a throne, but... yeah.

The problem with Gonzales is twofold: First off, axelock in one of the worst games to be locked to axes in. Second, low skill in a game where enemies can actually dodge. That's a match made in hell. And it doesn't help that he has to use a Hero Crest to promote...

No, no, no! Not Gonzales(I never use him)! I was talking about Geese! Sorry for the misunderstanding, I kinda forget about Gonzales.

Oh. Bugger.

Which reminds me, another thing to note: Geese also needs a Hero Crest to promote.

Oh. Bugger.

It's all right. I seriously forget about Gonzales. I recruit him with Lilina, then he's on the bench with Wade and Lot for the rest of the game. Geese on the other hand, is awesome! Even more so when becomes a beserker. And with this game giving Swordmasters and Berserkers +30(or +15) crit chance, he's a beast(that can actually hit enemies more often then not)! ...well, I know for me he does! ;3

Train more than one staff user because status effects are a bitch.

While its normally enemy staff users, who get pretty dang accurate(and really annoying)as you go through the game, sometimes it'll be hazards from the map that you need to watch out for! Restore Staffs are your best friends in this game(maybe not early game, but most definitely starting after 1/4 of the way through)!

Train two staff users at the minimum.

Train more than one staff user because status effects are a bitch.

While its normally enemy staff users, who get pretty dang accurate(and really annoying)as you go through the game, sometimes it'll be hazards from the map that you need to watch out for! Restore Staffs are your best friends in this game(maybe not early game, but most definitely starting after 1/4 of the way through)!

Train two staff users at the minimum.

I'd second this - weapon exp in general goes up at a snail's pace, meaning that you'd really have to go out of your way to get Sages and Druids to get any respectable staff rank, and thus ignoring healers in favor of promoted mages is an incredibly ill-advised idea.

Thanks for the advice. I am not enjoying this game as much as I had hoped, there is still time though for me to get more into it as I am only on chapter 8(which in comparison to the last two chapters seems easier, because screw empty rooms that spawn enemies and screw wyvern riders).

Dieck has 14 Con as a Hero, what are you talking about?

it's some dumb joke

way back in the day someone said that Gerik doesn't have the con to use axes

idk why someone else should explain it but it's a dumb joke

Here's some tips for you:

1.Even though people say it matters who you use between Lugh and Lilina, it really doesn't. They're both great units, Lugh has better availability and more skill and speed, but Lilina has a lot more magic and resistance with decent speed and decent skill. Lilina also has more luck I think, not completely sure though. Lilina also has some pretty good supports but so does Lugh. Lugh is probably a little bit better than Lilina based on stats and join time, but it doesn't matter which you choose.

2.Lot and Ward aren't that great. They have lower growths overall than most units, but if you want to use one, use Lot, Ward is horrible.

3.Use the arena in chapter 7. It will help a lot. This game is pretty tough so it's justified to use the arena for some exp and some gold. Dying in the arena shouldn't be a problem if you are using an emulator because you can just create a save state before you go in each time.

4.Knights are bad in this game. Just bench all the knights, they're all pretty bad in this game. Even if you have an extra slot just use someone else even if you already have someone of the same class on your team.

5.Alan and Lance are amazing. They're really good units, if you plan out your team and have an extra slot then you should use both Alan and Lance, they have a pretty good support together.

6.Wolt is really bad. Just don't use Wolt. Please. You get a better archer in chapter 6 anyways. Her name is Dorothy and she's not as bad as people say. She has superior growths to Wolt in every single stat except for like one or two stats. She also has better bases. She actually can turn out pretty good if you train her.

Dieck has 14 con as a hero and he has really good stats, and his high skill will help him to hit with axes, he's a really good axe user actually. Gonzales should be used as well, because he's pretty absurd, but Dieck is not a bad axe user by any means.

Dieck has 14 con as a hero and he has really good stats, and his high skill will help him to hit with axes, he's a really good axe user actually. Gonzales should be used as well, because he's pretty absurd, but Dieck is not a bad axe user by any means.

I disagree on Gonzales for reasons already mentioned.

You're way overestimating hitrate issues with axes though. His main weapons are killer and iron axes, which have 65 base hit, he gets a +5 skl boost on promotion (+10 hit), steel lance and javelin enemies are common from midgame on (+10 hit from WTA, +4 to 8 hit from weight penalties on enemies), he can also pull hitrates in the 60s to 70s (70-85 true hit) with hand axes against slower ranged enemies should you want him to strike back against those (it's fairly unreliable still, if you want reliable 1-2 range use magic). You can use a secret book aswell if his accuracy bothers you, it's not the most contested statbooster anyway. Against stuff like Nomads and Heroes (Sacae in general), he's iffy, but otherwise he performs well if used right.

Having to use a hero crest isn't a big problem. It really depends if you actually want to promote both Dieck and Rutger, but you can get away with passing up on either, although using Rutger is definitely recommended. Dieck is easier to pass up on though.

He's a decent unit and you should stop bringing the lolFE6axes argument.

Edited by Gradivus.

The biggest problem with Gonzalez is that the only promoted mount that can rescue him is Shin, the only other alternatives being unpromoted Cavaliers (sans Noah), or unpromoted Shanna. That greatly hinders his ability to actually keep up with the rest of your team.

Hero Dieck can be rescued by all mounted units except Percival, Juno and promoted Noah.

Edited by Irysa

You're way overestimating hitrate issues with axes though. His main weapons are killer and iron axes, which have 65 base hit, he gets a +5 skl boost on promotion (+10 hit), steel lance and javelin enemies are common from midgame on (+10 hit from WTA, +4 to 8 hit from weight penalties on enemies), he can also pull hitrates in the 60s to 70s (70-85 true hit) with hand axes against slower ranged enemies should you want him to strike back against those (it's fairly unreliable still, if you want reliable 1-2 range use magic). You can use a secret book aswell if his accuracy bothers you, it's not the most contested statbooster anyway. Against stuff like Nomads and Heroes (Sacae in general), he's iffy, but otherwise he performs well if used right.

Having to use a hero crest isn't a big problem. It really depends if you actually want to promote both Dieck and Rutger, but you can get away with passing up on either, although using Rutger is definitely recommended. Dieck is easier to pass up on though.

He's a decent unit and you should stop bringing the lolFE6axes argument.

It's less "lolFE6axes" and more "lolFE6firsttieraxers", as I think all of them have reliability issues up the wazoo. Anyways, I personally, think promoting Gonzales over Dieck or Rutger is a flat-out losing trade.

Dieck is definitely better than Gonzales (idk why I brought up Rutger since he gets the first hero crest, while Gonzales competes for the second one), agreed, I just think if the player wants to use him for whatever reason, they shouldn't shy away from it due to axe hitrates. Also, the western isles feature pretty many low avoid enemies, so while being an unpromoted axe user is irksome, it's not the end of the world.

Edited by Gradivus.