Which should I get first, a Wii U or a PS3?

Busterman64

...ok, so I might know what you're thinking. "Why would you get a Wii U, it's dead anyway. Wait for NX" or "Why get a PS3 when you can get a PS4" or possibly even "why are you so late to the party anyway?!"

Well...having no job until 12'th grade will do that to ya. That and no backwards compatibility(for the PS4 anyway, not sure about the NX. I hope it has it). Although, I seem to always be a console generation behind(minus my 3DS, but I digress...). However, both have games on them that I want to get like Splatoon, Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE, Pokken Tournament, Tales of Xillia, Persona 4 Arena(and it's sequel), the remakes & HD collections for certain games(like KH 2.5 since I've yet to play BBS), and a whole bunch of other stuff(that would take too long to list)!

While I will most certainly get both eventually, I can only get one for the summer(and even if I wanted to get both during the summer, which I probably could if I save up a lot through the summer...somehow, I need to save my money for other stuff I actually need).

So yeah, which one should I get first, a Wii U or a PS3?

Thanks in advance!

I would go ahead and get a PS3 and wait on a Wii U and see if the NX has backwards compatibility (it probably will and at the very least you should be able to play digital versions of the games you want for Wii U on it). I love my Wii U ( I bought it in 2014) but I would not buy one now with the NX coming out next March. Plus honestly PS3 has a better line up of games that you can get used for a good price.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Maybe the PS3?

The Nintendo Consoles usually have backwards compatibility, where Sony's doesn't.

However, the NX might not have it.

Bu think like this, which console has the most games you want to play?

Depends on what type of games you want to play, take a look at what they have to offer and decide based on that. In general, the PS3's library is so much better than the Wii U's that it's not even a contest, but if there's a specific genre or series you can't be without and it's only or mostly available on the U then you've already made your choice :P:.

Personally, I own less games for the Wii U than any other gaming device I've ever owned. I even have more games on my phone

PS3

Depends on what type of games you want to play, take a look at what they have to offer and decide based on that. In general, the PS3's library is so much better than the Wii U's that it's not even a contest, but if there's a specific genre or series you can't be without and it's only or mostly available on the U then you've already made your choice :P:.

Personally, I own less games for the Wii U than any other gaming device I've ever owned. I even have more games on my phone

for me it's different, I own about 2x as many Wii U games, at least physical--i get so many dumb PS3 games for free idk how many I have digital but I've bought dozens digital for Wii U so Wii U might still win out there. don't remember how long I've had each console but maybe about the same time give or take several months.

that being said, it depends on you/it's up to you, I'd say Wii U is more relevant rn but that will end soon, and if the NX does have proper backwards compatibility you have the benefit of being able to keep your games and such but at the cost of selling your Wii U and losing money on that.

I think the PS3 has a wider range of appeal with its games but you didn't list like shooters or action-adventure games or such so eh

personally I think the PS3 would be a better choice since it's basically dead, the games are cheap, and there's no real chance for physical-game backwards compatibility at this point but I like the Wii U and think it's the higher quality so my instinct is to suggest that... just, there are too many variables such as a price drop, NX backwards compatibility, etc. that makes me think now's not the best time to buy one.

If you never had a Wii, the Wii U will offer plenty enough games to compete if not beat the PS3. Even on its own, it's a really solid console if you like most Nintendo games. Many good VC and Indie games are also on it. Depends on what you want.

Due to my free game addiction I had during one point my life I will never ever own as many games I have on my phone nope not even on steam. I can't even name how many games I've downloaded for my iPhone and never even played. No I'm not nearly as bad as i used to be, but I am not sure why I still do it, it's not like I am ever going to play any of these games I downloaded, but on the small chance that someday maybe I will want to play them I still do it.... I've got an even better recently though I've stopped looking apples free app for the week as often...

Oh yeah as to the topic at hand if you haven't owned a PS3 before I highly recommend getting that over a Wii U, there is WAY more good games for that, and all for steal of a price at this point, I mean you won't be paying over 20 bucks for any of them... Where as Nintendo's games are $60 forever and ever and ever and ever and ever...

PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3.

I have both, and if I had to pick one over the other, I'd keep the PS3 any day of the week. Smash 4 and whatever else is considered good on Wii U be damned.

NX is out next year anyway, don't go wasting money on a current gen machine that will drop massively in price in less than a year's time.

Get the PS3 which is undoubtedly already cheap since it's last-gen and already has a huge catologue of great and affordable games.

Edited by Raven

Wii U, of course. Who ever could turn down quality games like Bigley's Revenge and Emojikara: A Clever Emoji Matching Game?

Jokes aside, i'd personally say PS3. I like the PS3 a lot better it's got a long list of great games like The Elder Scrolls, Borderlands, Fallout etc, while the Wii U only has a few (Splatoon, Smash, etc). The PS3 is also probably cheaper nowadays.

Edited by kantoorfarina

I bet you PS3'ers don't play Art of Balance.

I bet we don't care.

Even though I've got a lot out of my Wii U, a PS3 is a much more solid investment. Comparing both their libraries, and since not much else is gonna come out on the Wii U anymore, the PS3 has a superior lineup of games. Even the best of the Wii U isn't much compared to the sheer variety of stuff you can get on PS3. With Zelda coming to NX and the possibility that it might be backwards compatible, I wouldn't even think about approaching a Wii U right now. PS3 also has Dark Souls, which may be my favourite game of last gen and better than any of the Wii U's current library that I've played.

Edited by Knight

PS3

for me it's different, I own about 2x as many Wii U games, at least physical--i get so many dumb PS3 games for free idk how many I have digital but I've bought dozens digital for Wii U so Wii U might still win out there. don't remember how long I've had each console but maybe about the same time give or take several months.

that being said, it depends on you/it's up to you, I'd say Wii U is more relevant rn but that will end soon, and if the NX does have proper backwards compatibility you have the benefit of being able to keep your games and such but at the cost of selling your Wii U and losing money on that.

I think the PS3 has a wider range of appeal with its games but you didn't list like shooters or action-adventure games or such so eh

personally I think the PS3 would be a better choice since it's basically dead, the games are cheap, and there's no real chance for physical-game backwards compatibility at this point but I like the Wii U and think it's the higher quality so my instinct is to suggest that... just, there are too many variables such as a price drop, NX backwards compatibility, etc. that makes me think now's not the best time to buy one.

I mean, the PS3 has Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, LOH: Cold Steel 2, Odin Sphere, the new Guilty Gear and Star Ocean 5 all slated for release soon. Can you really call that a dead console lol? It has a better lineup of upcoming releases than the Wii U does and it's 10 years old this year. PS consoles are always good investments because they get support well past the funerals of their competitor products, it's what makes it easy to justify the purchase each gen. Comes with having excellent third party relations.

Edited by Tangerine

I'd look at the cost of the games and consoles or console bundles you'd be looking at buying and decide based on that since price seems to be an issue for you. I went for a wii u before I went for a ps3 (which I plan on getting sometime) personally but I think a PS3 could easily be a better choice, since in the past ps seemed to be pretty good about releasing cheap greatest hits games.

If you look for a wii u you could consider looking for it refurbished. I got my refurbished wii u for nintendo and it's been working fine since september. My GCN and Wii were refurbished and never broke (though I don't have my gcn anymore). I was looking into refurbished PS3s but reviewers seemed kinda leery about em. I'll probably get mine new when I purchase it. It's still a consideration for you.

However, the refurbished Wii U deals I'm seeing now aren't from the nint store so maybe the warranty is different, and they don't seem to be as good (I got two free games).

Edited by Togami Byakuga

Get the Wii U, you can get Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and the other Fire Emblem Virtual Console games. And plus, you might need to try out to get the other Nintendo games like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, EarthBound Beginnings & EarthBound for the Virtual Console, Star Fox Zero, and much more, they're pretty good.

Edited by King Marth 64

Have you played Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, AKA The Best Game Ever? If not, you should get a Wii U for it.

But if they have a Wii then they don't need a Wii U for it.

Honestly I like my Wii U a lot but for sheer value the PS3 is just so much better. It still has some classic PS1 and PS2 games buyable for super cheap on it, plus the gigantic library of amazing RPGs and action games... and every genre really. I wouldn't buy a Wii U unless you're dead set on some of the killer apps like Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I think it ultimately depends on how much the games are worth to you. The PS3 and the games you want for it will be much cheaper, but if you desire the WiiU games more, then go for that. I do think that the PS3 is the smarter option for reasons others have already listed, though.

But if they have a Wii then they don't need a Wii U for it.

Honestly I like my Wii U a lot but for sheer value the PS3 is just so much better. It still has some classic PS1 and PS2 games buyable for super cheap on it, plus the gigantic library of amazing RPGs and action games... and every genre really. I wouldn't buy a Wii U unless you're dead set on some of the killer apps like Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

ps2 only if you have an older model ps3

but personally at this point its better to get a ps3 with the largest hard drive you can get at this point for the long haul, and get the super slim model 250g or 500g due for less moving parts, so if you have to get it fixed its easier to get done. having the large hard drive is needed for storing all of your save files or for any games that require installing the game onto the system for it to run... if you want to play ps2 games at this point pick up a slim model ps2.

but yeah if you want to get alot of games for cheap get the ps3

wii u is only good if you really want to get the system exclusives or the 3rd party titles on it that have exclusive content. but get both of them eventually but for now ps3 is your better option (i have a wii u, i love it but i have only around 20 games for it)

Edited by animeapple

ps2 only if you have an older model ps3

but personally at this point its better to get a ps3 with the largest hard drive you can get at this point for the long haul, and get the super slim model 250g or 500g due for less moving parts, so if you have to get it fixed its easier to get done. having the large hard drive is needed for storing all of your save files or for any games that require installing the game onto the system for it to run... if you want to play ps2 games at this point pick up a slim model ps2.

but yeah if you want to get alot of games for cheap get the ps3

wii u is only good if you really want to get the system exclusives or the 3rd party titles on it that have exclusive content. but get both of them eventually but for now ps3 is your better option (i have a wii u, i love it but i have only around 20 games for it)

I mean you can digitally buy what they deem PSOne and PS2 classics through PSN. Not backwards compatible but the classic PSN titles normally range from $5-10 and are emulated fairly well on the PS3.

Hhhmmm...I think I'm gonna get a PS3 first. Mainly because the Wii U (and some of the games for it) could go down in price in a year (I can dream...)or the NX could have backwards compatibility. Not only that, but the PS3 sells around the price of a Wii U(give or take $50), but the games are WAY cheaper right now ranging from $10-$20 compared to the $60 of the Wii I games right now. Both will be worth my time and money, but since I plan on building my video game collection now that I don't have many responsibilites as of yet(until September), I'm better off building(and starting) my PS3 collection first since it'll be much cheaper and easier for me to get! (I also totally forgot about Persona 5!)

Although, I'm think I'm still gonna get the SE for Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE before it runs out. It would be nice to have! ;3

Hhhmmm...I think I'm gonna get a PS3 first. Mainly because the Wii U (and some of the games for it) could go down in price in a year (I can dream...)or the NX could have backwards compatibility. Not only that, but the PS3 sells around the price of a Wii U(give or take $50), but the games are WAY cheaper right now ranging from $10-$20 compared to the $60 of the Wii I games right now. Both will be worth my time and money, but since I plan on building my video game collection now that I don't have many responsibilites as of yet(until September), I'm better off building(and starting) my PS3 collection first since it'll be much cheaper and easier for me to get! (I also totally forgot about Persona 5!)

Although, I'm think I'm still gonna get the SE for Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE before it runs out. It would be nice to have! ;3

Yeah as much is I can't really recommend a PS4 (I mean I have not got much out me out of mine) Persona 5 is not likely going to be available on the PS3 if you are thinking at all about getting a PS4 wait tell the Neo is out. Keep in mind if you want to play PS3 games PS4 is not backwards compatible so it is still good to get a PS3, If you want games moving forward you'll have to have a PS4 or a PC either work. Don't get me wrong I like my PS4 is just I won't have much use for it untill later this year when Uncharted, last guardian, and Ni No Kuni 2 ( this one's probably next year but a man can hope) come out. I'm sure there's some other games that might peak my interest as well, like horizon zero dawn. Edited by Locke087