How I made my Conquest Lunatic playthrough even harder

thedude28

I've been playing the JPN version of Conquest ever since the game was released, and I still haven't beaten it yet.

Currently I'm on chapter 23 of it, playing by my own set of rules, and I regret doing this sort of playthrough (but oh well, gotta finish what you started).

My rules:

• No DLC (a given)
  • Cannot use children units (a given)
  • Death of any playable/recruitable unit = Reset
  • Have a MU with it's Boons/Banes not optimized (this rule is optional since it is completely possible to complete the game with an unit without optimizations)
  • You CANNOT use any item/weapon/inherit skills/use Units from Streetpass/DLC/Online (interacting with other castles)
  • You can use gold however you want
  • You CANNOT use Boots/Bonus items (ie. skill scrolls, items that came with owning routes)
  • You can only promote units with Master/Buddy/Parallel/Marriage Seals.
  • You can use Stat-increasing items however you want (ie. Spirit Dust, tonics, cafeterias)
  • Cannot use offensive staffs (ie. Enfeeble, Hexxing Rod, etc) (you can only use it if a recruit-able unit comes with one)
  • No online My Castle interactions whatsoever (only exception is to grind out Dragon Vein points)
  • No Streetpass interactions whatsoever
  • Cannot use children paralogues unless it is for promoting an unpromoted unit.
  • You must promote all the retainers of the Royal Family (ie. Odin/Niles, etc etc)
  • You can only promote unpromoted units at level 20, while units that can only use staves/rods can be promoted at level 10 (beast units must be promoted at level 25)
  • Azura/Aqua must have C-rank in lance.
  • The weapon types of a canon class of a unit MUST be at least at C (if a unit does not have a canon class, then only the weapon ranks of a base class must be C)

[spoiler=Explanation]This means that you MUST use weapons of the lowest weapon rank unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary until that weapon rank is at C (ie. significant hit rate difference between lowest weapon rank and highest weapon rank)

[spoiler=Example]Effie has pink armor as a Knight. When you promote Effie into a General, she also has pink armor, which is unique to her. Therefore, Effie's canon class is General.

A General can use Axes/Lances, whereas a Great Knight (a class where Effie can also promote to) uses Axes/Lances/Swords

Because Effie's canon class is a General, only Axes/Lances must be at least rank C

[spoiler=Exception for Corrin/MyUnit]Corrin only needs to have Sword/Dragonstone to at least rank C

• You can use your own My Castle in however way you want, however you MUST not have any statues out for the three optional My Castle battles ("Def War" in the JPN translated version)
  • Strategies of completing maps must not rely on crits to win.
  • If a map has loot, you must get as much as possible unless it becomes practically impossible to obtain
  • Optimizing marriages are completely optional

I think I may be missing a few other miscellaneous rules, but I got most of them.

If you ever decide to attempt to do whatever I'm doing, may the stars align for you.

Edited by thedude28

I don't think this is as hard as you think it is. Also your rules have too many additional stipulations which water them down enough to become non entities.

• Death of any playable/recruitable unit = Reset
  • Have a MU with it's Boons/Banes not optimized (this rule is optional since it is completely possible to complete the game with an unit without optimizations)
  • You can use gold however you want
  • You can only promote units with Master/Buddy/Parallel/Marriage Seals.
  • You can use Stat-increasing items however you want (ie. Spirit Dust, tonics, cafeterias)
  • You can only promote unpromoted units at level 20, while units that can only use staves/rods can be promoted at level 10 (beast units must be promoted at level 25)
  • You can use your own My Castle in however way you want, however you MUST not have any statues out for the three optional My Castle battles ("Def War" in the JPN translated version)
  • Strategies of completing maps must not rely on crits to win.
  • If a map has loot, you must get as much as possible unless it becomes practically impossible to obtain
  • Optimizing marriages are completely optional

These are all non rules or things that a majority of players will do anyways while playing the game.

• No DLC (a given)
  • Cannot use children units (a given)
  • You CANNOT use any item/weapon/inherit skills/use Units from Streetpass/DLC/Online (interacting with other castles)
  • You CANNOT use Boots/Bonus items (ie. skill scrolls, items that came with owning routes)
  • No online My Castle interactions whatsoever (only exception is to grind out Dragon Vein points)
  • No Streetpass interactions whatsoever

These rules are okay (I mean, I don't think they make the game much more challenging (no child paralogues could be rough on Lunatic, to be fair) because I unintentionally did all of them on my first run of the game except for the no bonus items and you could easily limit My Castle even more in order to make the game more challenging) but redundant. Could definitely simplify them.

• Cannot use offensive staffs (ie. Enfeeble, Hexxing Rod, etc) (you can only use it if a recruit-able unit comes with one)
  • You must promote all the retainers of the Royal Family (ie. Odin/Niles, etc etc)
  • Azura/Aqua must have C-rank in lance.
  • The weapon types of a canon class of a unit MUST be at least at C (if a unit does not have a canon class, then only the weapon ranks of a base class must be C)

[spoiler=Explanation]This means that you MUST use weapons of the lowest weapon rank unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary until that weapon rank is at C (ie. significant hit rate difference between lowest weapon rank and highest weapon rank)

[spoiler=Example]Effie has pink armor as a Knight. When you promote Effie into a General, she also has pink armor, which is unique to her. Therefore, Effie's canon class is General.

A General can use Axes/Lances, whereas a Great Knight (a class where Effie can also promote to) uses Axes/Lances/Swords

Because Effie's canon class is a General, only Axes/Lances must be at least rank C

[spoiler=Exception for Corrin/MyUnit]Corrin only needs to have Sword/Dragonstone to at least rank C

These rules are really arbitrary. The staff rule doesn't make the game harder, it just makes you think less. Why does it matter if a unit joins with one of those staves? Azura having C lances is redundant with the next rule which again is arbitrary and doesn't actually make the game more challenging.

Edited by Refa

What do you mean by...

Probably for grinding.

Edited by Nym

Probably for grinding.

I suppose, but it's kinda a weird rule. You either can grind or you can't. Seems like a weird legal loophole.

If you self impose onto yourself that you have to promote everybody, work within those confines either

A: You can only use the main campaign.

B: Paralogues are okay.

Having Paralogues have these arbitrary requisites due to some convoluted back-up plan to stay within your own self-imposed limits degrades the purity, for lack of a better word, of your run.