Heirs of Fate?

Lynn

Is it true that these dlcs only present pre-set units, and have no relevance to the actual game?

I don't see the point, aside from the Takers and Pointblank. It feels totally out of place and even worse, screwed all of Fates' logic (not that everything is logical, i.e deeprealms, but still, this is getting worse) like having twin Kanas.

I haven't played them myself but from what I've heard it sounds like Hidden Truths, where Severa, Inigo and Owain's appearance "altered" by magics which somehow manages to be inherited by their children.

unless Anankos altered their DNAs too for god's sake. They might return to Awakening's world after having the magic reverted with a son/daughter who looks nothing like either parent.

So plot aside, I believe Awakening handles this much better, at least it's still connected, even in an alternate world. HoF breaks the actual game so hard - be it the story, units...etc.

Please bear in mind that this might be my personal opinion only. I was so eager for the game, for the story, dlcs and have been disappointed over and over, sorry if I came out as rude. For those who likes this pack please understand that I have no ill intention :)

Yes, the units you command in Heirs of Fate are entirely disconnected to the ones you have in-game, as is the story (although it is loosely connected to Revelation.) Unlike Future Past in Awakening, the characters in the DLC aren't just alternate versions/timelines of the same kids, they're almost completely separate characters. None of your choices when it comes to the kids' parents/hair colours/skills/supports come into play, I suppose because you can play them whenever and on whatever route.

I thought it was stupid at first, too, and I still sort of do. It feels sort of lazy to create this separate story which forms a sort of disconnect between the player and these characters - after all, they're not yours. They're a generic, somewhat boring attempt at recreating what Future Past captured, except that sort of made sense and featured a range of different ways for the player to feel emotionally connected to this plight, such as the unique dialogue between the NPC kids and their parents/other selves. Of course, now we have that in the Hoshidan Festival DLC, but these are mostly fluff and nothing of real substance.

However, it does have its charm. The last chapter of the DLC especially is quite something, even if you don't quite care about the units. It has a great feel (and battle theme) and provides quite the challenge with the units you're thrown. It may not be the best storytelling, no, in fact it is mostly more of the same contrived BS we've been fed throughout the game complete with characters you don't really know and don't really want to, but it can be fun gameplay-wise. If you're not into the idea, though, and the skills aren't appetising for you, I'd say sit it out. You're really not missing much.

Edited by nordopolica

Yes, the units are pre-set; there are some plot-related reasons why they're preset and use only their official artwork hair colors. While it may suck, at least the maps have the advantage of being played as soon as you unlock the Dragons' Gate; in Awakening, the Future Past maps are designed to be lategame maps so unless you're bringing in high-leveled guest units, you're not going to be clearing those maps easily, if at all.

Videos of Heir of Fates already exist -- Linkmastr already did a playthrough with the English patch. From what it sounds like, you've been trying hard to avoid spoilers when actually watching a playthrough (at least one with the English patch) or reading fan translations should give you a better idea of WTF is going on. ;)

Heir of Fates does reference Hidden Truths (at least in the Japanese version) but not for the same detail you mentioned.

If you own a Powersaves device, you wouldn't need to purchase Heir of Fates pack if you're only in it for the reward items since the reward items are disc-locked content and can be accessed via cheating.

Ah, thank you, both of you for your help. Yeah I suppose I'll skip this pack. How unfortunate because I was so thrilling when I heard that there will be DLCs like Future Past, but this is not even close. Sure, the plot itself may be something - esp. the last one, like nordopolica said - but it doesn't feel like I'm playing FE Fates anymore. I do like a little bit of challenges, like Apotheosis - I do enjoy it very much, but this isn't what I expected. It's as if IS took everything that's good in Awakening and turning them into something worse, with no connections or whatsoever.

I was disappointed I wish I never bought Hidden Truths

immediately when Severa says "Why did you change the color of my hair? I really liked the color of my hair..." as Anankos casted the spell on her - this is exactly what she said, I didn't make any of this up.

It pretty much means her natural hair color wasn't the same as it is, and Anankos dyed it. So then why does her child have that burgundy color? When the spell reverted, it would be pretty awkward. It's something I could never understand.

Yes, the units are pre-set; there are some plot-related reasons why they're preset and use only their official artwork hair colors. While it may suck, at least the maps have the advantage of being played as soon as you unlock the Dragons' Gate; in Awakening, the Future Past maps are designed to be lategame maps so unless you're bringing in high-leveled guest units, you're not going to be clearing those maps easily, if at all.

I honestly liked it way better - mean Future Past. It gives me a reason to build my post-game team. I suppose challenging maps like Apotheosis will appear in the future, but for now there's not much you can do after beating the story. Have early access to Takers might be an advantage, but then where's the fun of playing FE honestly when you have an unit with Strengthtaker, Speedtaker, Faires... in chapter 7? You can deploy the Avatar and press start to your heart's content.

I'm thinking about getting this one myself, because since dlc varies wildly in difficulty, it'll be fun to play some maps that you can just jump into without having to worry about grinding a bunch of levels just to enjoy the content I PAID EXTRA MONEY FOR.

Btw cute avatar Lynn!

immediately when Severa says "Why did you change the color of my hair? I really liked the color of my hair..." as Anankos casted the spell on her - this is exactly what she said, I didn't make any of this up.

It pretty much means her natural hair color wasn't the same as it is, and Anankos dyed it. So then why does her child have that burgundy color? When the spell reverted, it would be pretty awkward. It's something I could never understand.

It wouldn't be that awkward. Selena's mother has that hair color, and it isn't that uncommon for people to inherit their grandparents' hair color. I think Laslow would be a better example, since he got his hair color from literally out of nowhere, but considering how Odin didn't have the Brand anymore, it's possible that the modifications were on a genetical level

{Edit: I just remembered that Ophelia inherits the Brand so the modifications couldn't be on a genetical level. ...I have no other explanation for that, other than Laslow's grandparents might have had that hair color.}

About the DLC itself, I personally disagree. The Heirs of Fate DLC is one of the few things that I actually enjoyed about the story in the game, and gameplay-wise I enjoy sometimes being given scenarios that I can just try to figure out what I can do with the few selected pieces that were given to me instead of trying to grind and accidentally get my team overleveled like in Birthright. It also gives me some sort of challenge without me having to worry about accidentally screwing myself in the long-run by giving too much or too little exp for a unit like in Conquest. I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, though. I hope you don't reget not buying this pack.

Edited by Luankachu

• 4 weeks later...

Surprisingly, this actually makes sense with Awakening's "canon" pairings.

Owain's canon father is Vaike, whose hair is blonde. Inigo's canon father is Henry, with gray hair. Severa's canon father is Libra, which would make her hair blonde. So according to these pairings, hers would actually be the only one that was changed. I'm surprised they paid that much attention to detail there, to be honest.

Otherwise, I agree. This whole alternate/ parallel world and Deeprealm stuff seems to be very rushed, confusing, and contradicting at times. Even the main storyline is, in many cases.

• 7 months later...
On 5/27/2016 at 3:03 PM, Hall Knight said:

Surprisingly, this actually makes sense with Awakening's "canon" pairings.

Owain's canon father is Vaike, whose hair is blonde. Inigo's canon father is Henry, with gray hair. Severa's canon father is Libra, which would make her hair blonde. So according to these pairings, hers would actually be the only one that was changed. I'm surprised they paid that much attention to detail there, to be honest.

Otherwise, I agree. This whole alternate/ parallel world and Deeprealm stuff seems to be very rushed, confusing, and contradicting at times. Even the main storyline is, in many cases.

What are you talking about? None of their hair matches. Odin's hair comparatively is white to a Vaike parentage.  Inigo has Viron hair color. And Severa's was probably more in reference to the fact that Severa would have any color but red. Even Avatar couldn't pass Coredlia red.