The proc Skills Dilemna

Basically, I can't push myself to chose between (mainly) Astra and Luna; I limit my units to two proc skills (as 3 or more are a waste since the skill with the lowest activation priority will have a very low activation rate), and one of these two skills is generaly Sol... Units like MU, Chrom or Lucina get Ignis/Aether respectively, but as for the others...

Luna has a higher activation rate, but is only useful when you barely do any damage;

Astra on one hand, has a lower activation rate, is useful in most of the situations except when you do but little damage; on the other hand, it reduces Sol's activation rate...

Maybe I could use Lifetaker/Renewal instead of Sol, but Sol is definitely better. Most of the time my units end up having Sol and Astra (except for Chrom!Inigo, I wanted to give him """Sol+Luna=Aether""" just for the heck of it ^^" )

Help?

Edited by Gaheris Black

I rarely have Astra on a unit, due to its damage-halving properties, and its meh activation rate. Luna's been a lot more useful IMO, unless you're attacking enemies with paper-thin defenses.

My personal priority is Luna/Ignis (Ignis is HIGHLY dependent on class) > Sol/Aether > Astra >>> Lethality

I honestly wouldn't recommend Sol in an proc-stack set since it's meant for healing-by-doing-damage, not increasing damage output. If you're trying for lots of damage output, go Ignis+Luna, Astra+Luna, Aether+Luna, Aether+Luna+Ignis, or something like that. Leaving the healing to staff-users (you can repeatedly shop from a Spotpass team like Ike's to get more Fortify staves).

Could run Sol+Renewal. Lifetaker can be a bit overkill in terms of getting self-heals but synergizes well with Galeforce.

For the most part, I agree with eclipse, but if you want to run Luna, I'd drop Sol, because Sol has higher priority.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

If you're just going through the main game, I find Sol to be a great skill. And while I love the idea of Astra, it is just not that great a skill. Luna is amazing, I would almost say even necessary if you're going for the really hard DLC chapters or fighting player teams. Ignis is a skill that works great for easier parts of the game, and is still valuable later on. Aether is very powerful, but I feel it suffers from a somewhat lower activation rate.

As for lifetaker, in harder modes it might not be a great plan to rely on skills that require you to take down your opponent (unless the effect is as powerful as Galeforce), and Renewal just doesn't cut it with only once per turn.

That's my two cents on these skills, I hope there's not too much personal experience weaved into this. =X

Securing kills generally isn't very difficult with a good support unit, since Dual Strikes are ridiculously broken in Awakening. Add in that most campaign enemies have garbage defenses (They try to make up for the single-digit Def and Res with huge HP pools, but it rarely helps) most of a unit's damage output is going to come from Str or Mag and even someone using something as wimpy as a Javelin or Wind shouldn't have much issue getting a kill in (one Dual Strike should usually make up the difference in remaining HP).

Running a damage proc with Sol is okay for an all-purpose build where you're prioritizing survival first, then, failing that, survival by removing the source of the attack. Due to the aforementioned ease of killing, I generally don't have an issue if I end up running a setup like that for the campaign. However, there are times where maximizing damage is the specific goal (usually just Grima and Apotheosis) and at that point, Sol should be unequipped, otherwise it's just going to get in the way.

Yeah different Procs serve different purposes

Ignis-meant to boost Hybrid DPS

Luna-probably the main proc skill you will want to use most of the time against non squishy foes

Aether-great skill with both damage and healing... just very limited availability...(As Just Spotpass Ike, DLC Ike, Chrom, Lucina, Chrom!Cynthia,Chrom!Kjelle, or Lucina!Morgan can have it)

Astra-Useful but the lower proc chance and initial halving of damage hold it back

Lethality-um... never really been all that worth it, it does look awesome though and can be a good skill for just playing the game without optimizing...

Vengence-This is built to be used with Vantage and similar builds

Pavise-reduces certian usually physical attacks so an okay filler skill

Aegis- see Pavise but for bows/magic generally a filler skill sadly

Sol- as others mentioned is a skill meant for survivability rather than damage so if you want damage then it is probably best to skip it.

The other healing skills I find to be best on units that are either tanky or semitanky In general Renewal makes Chip damage a non issue so I like it on units that occasionally take hits or are tanky without other options. Lifetaker is the more offensively oriented healing skill requiring the unit to actively seek kills thus It is a little less useful than the other haling skills.