Anyone else playing Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow from the eShop?

Anacybele

I finally got around to downloading Yellow myself, so I thought I'd make this thread! We can share our progress and stuff here too. :)

I wanted to do this when the three came out, but I ended up spending money on other stuff and wanted to wait until I got paid again, then I forgot for awhile. Heh. But I downloaded Yellow today and started playing. Still wish I'd gotten to play it years ago when I wanted it. Or any of the first gen games, really. But only my brothers got copies of the games. We didn't have a lot of money back then though, so I can only assume that my parents couldn't afford to get another game...

But better late than never, right? :P I'm not far at all yet, I'm only in Viridian City/Route 2. I've played through FireRed/LeafGreen, so I know Kanto and all really well. The only real trouble I expect to find are Sabrina and Lance. Stupid gen 1 Psychic type and Dragon type Pokemon, right?

Anyway, the team so far:

Pikachu lv. 9

Nidoran F lv. 7

Spearow lv. 4

If memory serves, I heard a long time ago that you're given the three Kanto starters during the story in Yellow, so I decided that the other three slots will be for them. I'd use Ponyta/Rapidash instead of Charmander because Rapidash is one of my favorite Pokemon, but I don't think you can get a Ponyta until late in the game. At least, in FR/LG, it wasn't even found in Kanto itself, you could only get it at the Sevii Islands. -_- Those don't exist in RBY though, so... I can only make an educated guess.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean that one place on Cinnabar Island? That's still rather late in the game, so I was right. But oh well, I'll catch a Ponyta anyway. I really don't want to go without a Rapidash. :P

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. I guess I'll swing by Cinnabar when I get Surf, catch a Ponyta, then go back to badge order.

While you're there, you can train a bit to prepare for Sabrina, grab the items and stuff inside and come out more balanced, with the Gym Key and be ready when you get back to Blaine's gym. You basically cut out the middle man and collect the stuff early, which means you can avoid going there immediately after getting to Cinnabar when you want the badge and you're balanced off.

If you wanna be tricky, you can effectively do it with as few as 3 badges. But that's being tricky and clever.

I see, thanks for the tip. And I'll probably need that training for Sabrina. Even in the remakes she gave me trouble. Not so much in HG/SS though, somehow. Well, I know in SS I could crush her with my Houndoom, but in HG, I don't remember what I used. :P

So, question. Is Mankey the only Pokemon I can get right now that is super effective against Brock? I haven't encountered any others. In fact, most of the Pokemon I've found are WEAK to Rock type moves (Pidgey and Pidgeotto, Spearow, Caterpie line) or are ineffective against them (Rattata, Nidoran because it only has Normal type moves so far, Pikachu because Brock's Pokemon are also part Ground type). What was GameFreak thinking with this early game? And I'm serious, I actually ran into a Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest. I don't remember being able to encounter them there in FR/LG. I wonder if FR/LG were sorta nerfed compared to the originals.

Edited by Anacybele

I see, thanks for the tip. And I'll probably need that training for Sabrina. Even in the remakes she gave me trouble. Not so much in HG/SS though, somehow. Well, I know in SS I could crush her with my Houndoom, but in HG, I don't remember what I used. :P

So, question. Is Mankey the only Pokemon I can get right now that is super effective against Brock? I haven't encountered any others. In fact, most of the Pokemon I've found are WEAK to Rock type moves (Pidgey and Pidgeotto, Spearow, Caterpie line) or are ineffective against them (Rattata, Nidoran because it only has Normal type moves so far, Pikachu because Brock's Pokemon are also part Ground type). What was GameFreak thinking with this early game? And I'm serious, I actually ran into a Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest. I don't remember being able to encounter them there in FR/LG. I wonder if FR/LG were sorta nerfed compared to the originals.

Brock doesn't have rock moves so Butterfree is fine to use Confusion to get past them. It's not super effective, but Brock's pokemon have crap special. Nidoran learns Double Kick at level 12 I think, so that works too. Pidgeotto is a 1% (maybe actually 5%) chance to find in Yellow only.

Edited by Konnor97

Oh, okay, now this makes a little more sense. I guess I'll train up my Nidoran a couple levels.

And seriously? Damn, talk about luck of the draw there. A Pidgeotto was literally the third thing I encountered (the first two both being Metapod) in Viridian Forest.

Pikachu's tougher than you think. Also you will need Pikachu at max happiness to get Bulbasaur.

This game sure bring back memories.

Pokemon Red was my first Pokemon game.

To thise that started on generation 1, remember all the rumors? And how exciting was the reveal of generation 2? And you can't forget Pikablu! Remember Pikablu?

Pikachu is pretty good, but Electric type moves still do nothing at all to Ground type Pokemon. But thanks for letting me know about how to get the Bulbasaur.

I've heard about some of the rumors that went around back then, like the Mew supposedly under a truck and Pikablu. I was surprised to hear about the latter though, I never thought Marill bore any resemblance to Pikachu. I would've guessed it was a whole different Pokemon right off the bat.

Brock doesn't have rock moves so Butterfree is fine to use Confusion to get past them. It's not super effective, but Brock's pokemon have crap special. Nidoran learns Double Kick at level 12 I think, so that works too. Pidgeotto is a 1% (maybe actually 5%) chance to find in Yellow only.

I seem to remember getting destroyed by Rock Throw once or twice on Yellow. Low Kick Mankey and Double Kick Nidoran are better options in that respect, though I've been on a streak of remembering things wrong lately so...

I'd still recommend the Butterfree as a backup, but I'd not suggest throwing caution to the wind.

Wrt the Bulbasaur thing, managing Pikachu's happiness doesn't actually matter too much beforehand. If you try and potion a full health Pikachu enough times outside of battle it'll still raise its happiness up to max because of programming oversights.

Ah, I see. That's a funny error. :P Thanks!

I managed to beat Brock in one try, though it didn't come easy. Bind in this game is WTF. I'm glad it's not so stupid in future games. But the team now:

Pikachu lv. 13

Nidoran F lv. 13

Spearow lv. 12

I leveled up everybody before the gym battle and I'm glad I did. And I'm glad Pikachu will be handy in the next gym. Misty never gave me a lot of trouble, but damn do I hate that her Pokemon have Recover.

Edited by Anacybele

Ah, I see. That's a funny error. :P Thanks!

I managed to beat Brock in one try, though it didn't come easy. Bind in this game is WTF. I'm glad it's not so stupid in future games. But the team now:

Pikachu lv. 13

Nidoran F lv. 13

Spearow lv. 12

I leveled up everybody before the gym battle and I'm glad I did. And I'm glad Pikachu will be handy in the next gym. Misty never gave me a lot of trouble, but damn do I hate that her Pokemon have Recover.

Plus you'll have Bulbasaur, though he'll take some leveling. He, along with the other starters, start at level 10.

Oh good. But I don't mind having to level it. It'll be worth it.

Gods, Wrap is stupid too. Though not as stupid as Bind, thankfully.

Here's the locations and conditions for you to get the starters:

Bulbasaur is at a house next to the Pokemon Center in Cerulean City. The girl there will give you Bulbasaur if Pikachu has max happiness.

Charmader is at the north of Cerulean City at Route 24, a guy in a place surrounded by ledges will give it, there are no special conditions.

Squirtle is given by an Officer Jenny in Vermilion City, however she will only give you Squirtle after you beat Lt. Surge the Gym Leader of Vermilion.

All of them come at Level 10.

Hope it helps!

Oh yes, that helps! Thanks. :)

I think I might have Pikachu at max happiness now too. It jumps up and down when I talk to it. Even at really low health. lol

No problem!

But I forgot to say something rather important.

How were your battles with Gary?

The results of those battle will affect which kind of Eeveevolution he has.

If you won the battles at Pallet and Route 22 he will have a Jolteon.

If you lost both of them he will have a Vaporeon.

If you lost one and won the other he will have a Flareon.

Did you battle Gary at Route 22? If you didn't that's not a problem, but then I'm not sure what Eeveevolution he will have.

No problem!

But I forgot to say something rather important.

How were your battles with Gary?

The results of those battle will affect which kind of Eeveevolution he has.

If you won the battles at Pallet and Route 22 he will have a Jolteon.

If you lost both of them he will have a Vaporeon.

If you lost one and won the other he will have a Flareon.

Did you battle Gary at Route 22? If you didn't that's not a problem, but then I'm not sure what Eeveevolution he will have.

IIRC, it counts as a loss.

IIRC, it counts as a loss.

I see, thanks.

And I can't believe I forgot this, and this is really important, you absolutely cannot forget this, especially of you like to catch many Pokemon.

Boxes in Gen1 and Gen 2 work differently. You have to chose an "active" box to send Pokemon.

And this can lead to bad things if you're not prepared.

Let's say your "active" box is full and you ran into a Pokemon you want to catch, you won't be able to catch it because your active box is full!

Everyone who played the game in Gen 1 has a horror story about the box system. EVERYONE. No exception

But please don't forget this! Always check your boxes! I cannot stress this enough! It sucks, but it's important!

Edited by Water Mage

I see, thanks.

And I can't believe I forgot this, and this is really important, you absolutely cannot forget this, especially of you like to catch many Pokemon.

Boxes in Gen1 and Gen 2 work differently. You have to chose an "active" box to send Pokemon.

And this can lead to bad things if you're not prepared.

Let's say your "active" box is full and you ran into a Pokemon you want to catch, you won't be able to catch it because your active box is full!

Everyone who played the game in Gen 1 has a horror story about the box system. EVERYONE. No exception

But please don't forget this! Always check your boxes! I cannot stress this enough! It sucks, but it's important!

A good rule of thumb would be just to switch to a new box every time hit an area with a lot of new pokemon, especially if it has a unique encounter (which is basically just the legendaries and Snorlax, I think). If you miss those, they're not coming back.

Yeah, I did both Gary battles. I always do for the exp and have done it for that reason ever since I first discovered you could battle him at route 22. :P I won one, lost the other, but then rebattled him on route 22 and won. But since I lost at all, that means I get to see Flareon, right? That one is my favorite of the three! Can't believe I'm saying I'm glad I lost to that dickhead. :P I never liked Gary because he's such an ass.

Silver in Johto is a much better rival character because while he's also an ass at first, he develops and changes into a cool dude later. He even starts respecting and caring about his Pokemon!

I've made it through Mt. Moon and to Cerulean City, woop woop. Nidoran evolved too! I also chose the Dome Fossil (because I prefer Kabutops over Omastar).

Pikachu lv. 18

Nidorina lv. 17

Spearow lv. 16

I actually could have a Nidoqueen right now because I found a Moon Stone. lol But since Nidoqueen doesn't learn anymore moves as it levels up, of course, I'm going to hold off on that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did hear about the box system in this game, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I'm also aware of the item limit. I'm going to put some stuff in the PC now, in fact, so I don't wind up running out of bag space. :P

Edited by Anacybele