Anyone else playing Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow from the eShop?

Anacybele

Yeah, I did both Gary battles. I always do for the exp and have done it for that reason ever since I first discovered you could battle him at route 22. :P I won one, lost the other, but then rebattled him on route 22 and won. But since I lost at all, that means I get to see Flareon, right? That one is my favorite of the three! Can't believe I'm saying I'm glad I lost to that dickhead. :P I never liked Gary because he's such an ass.

Silver in Johto is a much better rival character because while he's also an ass at first, he develops and changes into a cool dude later. He even starts respecting and caring about his Pokemon!

I've made it through Mt. Moon and to Cerulean City, woop woop. Nidoran evolved too! I also chose the Dome Fossil (because I prefer Kabutops over Omastar).

Pikachu lv. 18

Nidorina lv. 17

Spearow lv. 16

I actually could have a Nidoqueen right now because I found a Moon Stone. lol But since Nidoqueen doesn't learn anymore moves as it levels up, of course, I'm going to hold off on that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did hear about the box system in this game, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I'm also aware of the item limit. I'm going to put some stuff in the PC now, in fact, so I don't wind up running out of bag space. :P

Pokemon in this game learn very few moves overall and Nidorans in particular have very bad future movepools (tail whip, bite and fury swipes u_u) while Nidoqueen will have Body Slam, one of the best moves in the game so long as you evolve her before level 23. After evolution, enjoy one of the best TM learners in the game.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I did both Gary battles. I always do for the exp and have done it for that reason ever since I first discovered you could battle him at route 22. :P I won one, lost the other, but then rebattled him on route 22 and won. But since I lost at all, that means I get to see Flareon, right? That one is my favorite of the three! Can't believe I'm saying I'm glad I lost to that dickhead. :P I never liked Gary because he's such an ass.

Silver in Johto is a much better rival character because while he's also an ass at first, he develops and changes into a cool dude later. He even starts respecting and caring about his Pokemon!

I've made it through Mt. Moon and to Cerulean City, woop woop. Nidoran evolved too! I also chose the Dome Fossil (because I prefer Kabutops over Omastar).

Pikachu lv. 18

Nidorina lv. 17

Spearow lv. 16

I actually could have a Nidoqueen right now because I found a Moon Stone. lol But since Nidoqueen doesn't learn anymore moves as it levels up, of course, I'm going to hold off on that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did hear about the box system in this game, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I'm also aware of the item limit. I'm going to put some stuff in the PC now, in fact, so I don't wind up running out of bag space. :P

It's good that you knew about the box system, sorry if I was annoying, but this is one of those crappy things that you can't forget.

And looks like Gary will have a Flareon, which means that since he doesn't have Vaporeon and Jolteon he will have the Shellder/Cloyster and Magnemite/Magneton as his Water and Electric types, and if he didn't have Flareon, he would have Vulpix/Ninetales as his Fire type.

Samias: Oh yeah, I knew they don't learn very many moves in the gen 1 games. But thanks for telling me about Body Slam.

Water Mage: I see, I see. Thanks!

Pikachu lv. 18

Nidorina lv. 17

Spearow lv. 16

[spoiler=Nidorina's level up moves]19 - Poison Sting (15 power)

27 - Tail Whip

36 - Bite (60 power normal move in this gen)

46 - Fury Swipes (18 power)

In my opinion, either evolve now or wait until 19 for the STAB. I'd recommend evolving now because Poison Sting is pretty bad.

Oh wow, that's pretty pathetic. lol I think I agree, I should just evolve it as it is. :P

I've taken a break for now though.

Btw, I met Jessie and James in Mt. Moon, as I figured I would. I thought it odd that they weren't actually called that in the game though, they were just called "Rocket." I mean, this game IS supposed to have taken inspiration from the anime, right?

Edited by Anacybele

Gods, Wrap is stupid too. Though not as stupid as Bind, thankfully.

No, Wrap is definitely worse, simply because it's more 5% more accurate. They have the same strength and effects and chances.

I'm currently attempting to "Catch 'Em All" in my Yellow Run. Swapping out Pokemon as they evolve fully. Oddly enough, my Magikarp was the second Pokemon to evolve fully, and I wasn't trying that hard to raise it during Mt. Moon. I mean, I was sorely under-leveled. I've caught every single Pokemon that can be encountered up to Diglett's Cave and Route 11 (without the use of Rods or Surfing), including using the Mew Glitch to get the eponymous Pokemon.

So far, my fully evolved list includes Butterfree, Gyarados, Raticate, Fearow, Sandslash, and Golbat.

But when I got hit by Brock's Onix's Bind, my Pokemon wasn't able to move at all. My Pokemon was still able to move after being hit by Wrap.

And that's cool! I'd like to catch as many Pokemon as I can too later. :) But it looks to me like not every one of the original 151 is available in this game, glitches aside. I didn't see any Weedle or Kakuna in Viridian Forest, only Caterpie and Metapod, for example. I found Sandshrew, but not Ekans, and I know I'm in the area where you can encounter it in...Red, I believe. So how do you plan on actually getting them all?

But when I got hit by Brock's Onix's Bind, my Pokemon wasn't able to move at all. My Pokemon was still able to move after being hit by Wrap.

No, Wrap makes you unable to move as well. I don't know what happened, but you definitely can't move during Wrap. It's why Dragonite was so terrifying back then-Dratini's access to Wrap and Dragonite's Agility and Thunder Wave made it a nightmare to fight.

And that's cool! I'd like to catch as many Pokemon as I can too later. :) But it looks to me like not every one of the original 151 is available in this game, glitches aside. I didn't see any Weedle or Kakuna in Viridian Forest, only Caterpie and Metapod, for example. I found Sandshrew, but not Ekans, and I know I'm in the area where you can encounter it in...Red, I believe. So how do you plan on actually getting them all?

http://serebii.net/yellow/missing.shtml

Those are the Pokemon that you can't catch in Yellow. Thinking about the anime, some of them make sense-namely, the Rocket Trio Pokemon, and Weedle.

As for how I intend to catch them, well, I have three 3DSes. I just bought Red and Blue on my spare.

Huh, I wonder what happened in that battle where I was hit by Wrap then...

And thanks for showing me that. I see now! And you have Red and Blue on another system, that makes sense. :P I don't really want them, so I'm just going to have to settle for a mostly complete dex.

Edited by Anacybele

You could still do glitches to get the other Pokemon, if you really want to try. At least, I think there are still glitches in Yellow that can get you other Pokemon aside from Mew.

As it is, I'm going through Red to get what Pokemon I can up to a certain point. Namely, I want a second Mew to use as an HM slave.

Wrap/Bind/Clamp/Fire Spin only stop you from attacking if you're slower than the user of the move.

It's why Gen 1 Dragonites run Agility before using Wrap.

Wrap/Bind/Clamp/Fire Spin only stop you from attacking if you're slower than the user of the move.

It's why Gen 1 Dragonites run Agility before using Wrap.

...The hell? That's dumb. I could've sworn it was that they were always unable to move. I mean, I had some RIDICULOUSLY fast Pokemon, and they couldn't move.

...The hell? That's dumb. I could've sworn it was that they were always unable to move. I mean, I had some RIDICULOUSLY fast Pokemon, and they couldn't move.

I think he meant that a faster user would be able to completely lock the opponent. Since you take a turn to be freed from the move, if the user was faster they could just do the move again to trap them again.

You could still do glitches to get the other Pokemon, if you really want to try. At least, I think there are still glitches in Yellow that can get you other Pokemon aside from Mew.

As it is, I'm going through Red to get what Pokemon I can up to a certain point. Namely, I want a second Mew to use as an HM slave.

Yup, as long as you have a Trainer that walks up to you to battle you can use the glitch to get literally every Pokemon, though it takes a little bit of messing around with random Pokes to get the ones you want. I've put the game down for a little while, but I was playing around with that glitch because I want to clear the Pokedex without having to bother other peeps to trade with me. I'm also trying to get a Raichu using this trick because I like Raichu more than Pikachu ;p

I never said anything about Dragon type moves being OP, I'm well aware that the only gen 1 Dragon type move is Dragon Rage. I meant Dragon type POKEMON are OP. Because of what you just said since the Dratini line are the only Dragon types in gen 1.

You get Ice Beam for giving the Girl on Celadon Department Store's roof a Fresh Water. As well as Rock Slide and Tri-Attack for the other two drinks. Dragonite is weak to Rock Slide and Ice Beam, and you shouldn't need the move all that much during the Elite 4. Train Lapras if you feel you need the extra power.

Speaking of OP types, for those playing the Gen 1 games, I would suggest getting a Psychic type.

Poison is the most common type in Gen 1, Poison types even outnumber Water and Normal types.

If you're playing Red or Blue, you should get Jynx. It's really, really strong in Gen 1.

But if you're playing Yellow, you should try Kadabra or Alakazam if you have someone to trade with.

But Kadabra by itself is also pretty strong. Starmie is also a good choice, but it only learns Psychic by TM. Slowbro, Hypno, Mr. Mime and Exeggutor are also pretty strong but a bit slow.

Edited by Water Mage

You get Ice Beam for giving the Girl on Celadon Department Store's roof a Fresh Water. As well as Rock Slide and Tri-Attack for the other two drinks. Dragonite is weak to Rock Slide and Ice Beam, and you shouldn't need the move all that much during the Elite 4. Train Lapras if you feel you need the extra power.

Well, I figured those moves were accessible, I just thought it wouldn't be easy to land hits with even them. But thanks. I thought Blastoise could learn Ice Beam though? And I will be getting one if I train up the Squirtle I'll get all the way.

Yellow here. Just past Brock this morning and hope to beat Misty by tonight as soon as i get past Mt.Moon and finish my paper. I feel so out of my element in not having played the originals in years. I forgot gust was a normal type move and not flying. Also forgot about the different Butterfree level-up here (Confusion at Lv.12 instead of 10 like in future gens).

Pikachu lv. 11

Pidgey lv. 12

Nidoran F lv. 12

I kinda want to try some different pokemon than the ones I normally use. Maybe Muk, Golduck and Exeggcutor.

Cool, another Yellow player! ^^

I beat Misty easily, she actually didn't use Recover or even any healing items. Brock didn't use healing items either, now that I think about it. I guess the gym leaders didn't do so back then.

But I got both the Bulbasaur and Charmander, and also evolved them. I evolved Nidorina like suggested as well. And Spearow also evolved! I had a lot of evolving going on. lol I've also visited Bill, so now I'm leaving Cerulean City. The team:

Pikachu lv. 21

Nidoqueen lv. 19

Ivysaur lv. 20

Fearow lv. 20

Charmeleon lv. 19

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I was actually referring to STAB, since Lapras would get it from Ice Beam. Thinking about it, Lapras learns Ice Beam via leveling so you could always go the Trainer Red route and use them both.

Or do you have a final team planned out? I'm eager to see what you choose if so.