Opinion of Soleil?

What's your opinion on Soleil?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on Soleil (English version)?

2. 2. If you selected Option 3 or 4, what do you dislike about her? (Check all that apply)

• She's a one-note character
    • She's a terrible attempt at a bisexual character
    • She harrasses people (specificaly a certain dark mage)
    • Her personality sucks
    • Her supports with her mother are awkward
    • Other (Please specify so I can add it).
    • I voted for an option other than 3 and 4 and need to check a checkbox.
  3. 3. Did the localization improve Soleil's Character?

[*. I feel that I should say that I don't hate LGBT characters but I do think LGBT characters shouldn't just be "hehe I'M SO GAY! " and that's it. I'm so sorry if I made anyone think I hated LGBT people and/or characters with this post.]

This so much. Honestly if Soliel has just said something like 'besides you're pretty cute' to Ophelia and then continued with a normal conversation it'd be ok. Instead she's screaming and harassing her for days on end 'becuz im gay!!!'

Also no need to worry about people thinking you hate us. There's nothing hateful at all there.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually wrote a bit on this before on tumblr back before the game was localized and honestly my opinion hasn't changed that much. I can still sum up what I feel about her with 'She's a poor-man's Inigo/Laslow'

Not sure I can add much that others haven't already pointed out, so just a few thoughts.

I'd say Treehouse did what they could to improve her character, but obviously they couldn't simply turn her into a three dimensional character/good LGBT representation without some actual reprogramming (S support with girls) and outright rewriting her entirely. They changed her support with Forrest (thank god) and gave her platonic S supports like they did with Kana, although the latter is something I liked only because it leads to variety and doesn't affect Soleil all that much in my eyes.

I thought it would have been nice if she could support with Rhajat but thinking back on it

A) I doubt they would have included a S support for a single non-Corrin same sex couple and there would be half-assed justification for why they only get A+ most likely being...

B) Confirming that Rhajat is just Corrinsexual as opposed to bisexual.

The sad thing is that I actually find her pretty likable in her paralogue; she leads a mercenary group with the power of smiles and rainbows and ended up flirting with a village girl in a smooth way while being fairly respectful of her boundaries. Then comes to support conversations and she starts fawning over her own mother and it just goes downhill from here. She's still a character I want to like (she's good in combat, has a cute voice with fun lines) but the way many of her supports treat her sexuality like a perversion really irks me.

Edited by LeDom

Voted for 'not a fan'.

My issue with Soleil is that many of her supports are either repetitive and/or just outright bad. For the former, I will admit that some other characters fall into that trap (especially the kids), but I feel with Soleil, most of her supports tend to just follow her gimmick and don't allow for much depth to be given to her. As someone said before, she's a poor man's Inigo/Laslow, as the latter character was given reasons for why he acted the way he did and had moments where he stepped back from his gimmick and allowed for us to get more about him as a character, especially in Fates. Soleil doesn't have many moments like that, and she tends to stick to her gimmick outside of specific supports, so she ends up being bland and one-note both by comparison and as her own character.

For the latter, I can't say much that hasn't already been said. Her supports with Ophelia, Ignatius, JP!Forrest, and her mother all show her crossing a line and not respecting others boundaries, and it gets pretty uncomfortable in those supports. All of them took her gimmick to a place where I found it insufferable, and it almost did make me hate the character outright since it makes her come off as a stalker at best, sexual predator at worst.

As for the localization, while I'm mixed in some ways, I voted yes. I do kind of wish they kept some of the other S supports for the male characters, but I feel that them stripping out the M!Corrin and Forrest supports were huge improvements over what we got for the character.

Like with Ophelia, she's a horrible character by virtue of being a less interesting female version of her father.

Not much else to say, I don't care enough about her fictional orientation to comment on it and her being a creep at least is slightly more interesting than Ophelia.

well if you honestly want my opinion instead of my vote...

well i think she's an awful bisexual, this goes for nottharja and niles as well, as a bisexual myself I'm pretty pissed that the only representation we get is "oh my god i wanna stalk and bang everyoonnnneeeeeee"

while people can like her, i think those who do are very shallow people that only care about their fetishes or looks.

she's "my daddy, but not as interesting or developed" like most of the other children, i don't like most of her supports, i don't like the platonic S ranks because they should just be A ranks.

she is the prime example of such a poorly made Japanese character that not even the American soccer mom censorship done on this game could fix her, and i think that is truly impressive that the same company that brought us Alvis/Arvis shat out this bitch.

edit: i sure do hope this is what you wanted out of discussion, i really didn't have anything nice to say so i did figure i might as well not post, but if you really want that discussion, well there it is.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

while people can like her, i think those who do are very shallow people that only care about their fetishes or looks.

Well, there it is.

And the thread was going so well...

edit: i sure do hope this is what you wanted out of discussion, i really didn't have anything nice to say so i did figure i might as well not post, but if you really want that discussion, well there it is.

While I wish you worded it a bit nicer, your opinion is appreciated.

In other news, the surveymonkey's results page can be found here.

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

well if you honestly want my opinion instead of my vote...

well i think she's an awful bisexual, this goes for nottharja and niles as well, as a bisexual myself I'm pretty pissed that the only representation we get is "oh my god i wanna stalk and bang everyoonnnneeeeeee"

she's "my daddy, but not as interesting or developed" like most of the other children, i don't like most of her supports, i don't like the platonic S ranks because they should just be A ranks.

she is the prime example of such a poorly made Japanese character that not even the American soccer mom censorship done on this game could fix her, and i think that is truly impressive that the same company that brought us Alvis/Arvis shat out this bitch.

Then again, I don't think the LGBT rights in Japan are as developed as they are in NA. Besides, Soleil is mostly a bait-and-switch lesbian whose gimmick is played in Japan for comedy, among other things.

I usually don't like controversial characters, and Soleil is no exception. Funny thing is, back before I got Fates I thought people were just exaggerating how bad of a character she was, I loved her design and was going to make her the waifu... then I got the game and realized that they were right.

Then again, I don't think the LGBT rights in Japan are as developed as they are in NA. Besides, Soleil is mostly a bait-and-switch lesbian whose gimmick is played in Japan for comedy, among other things.

this is most likely the case honestly, i don't think the localization should've ever tried to play at the "she likes dicks too, crisis adverted!" in the first place, but this thread is about localization soleil, not her original form

While I wish you worded it a bit nicer, your opinion is appreciated.

In other news, the surveymonkey's results page can be found here.

i got abit heated in the moment, i do find it interesting that the results are more positive on there.

Well, there it is.

And the thread was going so well...

thats kinda what i do to threads once i get on a tangent, its mostly why my posting has decreased abit, as i've slowly learned not to post all my opinions

you don't wanna hear what i think about insert controversial opinion here

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

this is most likely the case honestly, i don't think the localization should've ever tried to play at the "she likes dicks too, crisis adverted!" in the first place, but this thread is about localization soleil, not her original form

The whole backlash happened with her original form, in the first place.

The whole backlash happened with her original form, in the first place.

well yeah, i was one of the people that wasn't happy with her original form either.

but that doesn't change that this is still about the localization version, which my opinion is that is that it still failed to make her a more appealing character,more so to be by changing her to be a bisexual to further displease my opinion of fates's lacking bisexual range, i want Benny or Arthur damn it.

She's... I put her down as alright because while I don't hate her completely, I don't like her either.

A) She's basically my daughter in most of my playthroughs.

B) Favorite class.

C) Adore her desing.

D) Adore her voice.

E) Good support with Shigure.

F) Good support with Laslow.

G) Her first appearance.

.... but that's about all she had going for her. Reading her supports make me cringe and wish that one day we could get a decent bi character in Fire Emblem. (not just "maybe bi" but flat out bi. I'd enjoy the rep here.) I felt kind of creeped out about my own daughter... well, flirting with me.

I think hates a strong word but I never liked Soleil in the japanese since shes pretty disturbing. A pure obnoxious genki

The localization feels like shes trying way too hard to date women and they just wont let her, and its sad because thats mostly the localizations fault. Having a plethora of male S ranks demolished because Nintendo of America is convinced shes 100% gay. Even her S with male Corrin is awkward. I cant bring myself to like her and shes been a pet peeve of mine since I really like Laslow

well yeah, i was one of the people that wasn't happy with her original form either.

but that doesn't change that this is still about the localization version, which my opinion is that is that it still failed to make her a more appealing character,more so to be by changing her to be a bisexual to further displease my opinion of fates's lacking bisexual range, i want Benny or Arthur damn it.

Meanwhile, I wanted the ability to simply A+ people with my Corn instead of S-ranking, but I learned how to deal with disappointment. Still, there's an hack that allows more gay options, but that would probably prevent you from accessing the eShop and be in violation of the EULA.

thats kinda what i do to threads once i get on a tangent, its mostly why my posting has decreased abit, as i've slowly learned not to post all my opinions

you don't wanna hear what i think about insert controversial opinion here

I always want to hear people's opinions.

It's when people start insulting and mocking those with differing opinions that I feel the line is crossed.

I never really was a big fan of her in either version. Not entirely sure why, but something about her just rubs me the wrong way. Her mother support was just weird though. The slapdash way they handled her on the Localization didn't really do her any good either.

Didn't really see what there was to be offended about her either though. But maybe because I have a hard time getting offended by video games.

Has a decent intro with her father, and then from the moment that the chapter ends, nothing about her supports really does anything to make you like her. She's a stalker, and not in the " I want to make sure this person is save" style of stalker like say... Sothe. She's the bad kind, a predator a person that makes people uncomfortable-- and it seems like they gave her the "socially awkward" trait so she could press this too far.

I wanted to like her, but she just ended up being kind of annoying.

I don't think she's so bad. I like her. Her recruitment mission really portrays her well. Certain supports do not. Her supports with Ophelia have the same problem that many supports have, you can't tell the story of a relationship in 3 conversations. What Ophelia did during those convos is actually worse than the harassment IMO. That it backfired on her was just desserts in my mind.

I voted Like her and I believe the localization did a great job (or at least what they could) tweaking her character to be a lot less creepy and off putting.

I love my little Lazbian. She's just too cute to ignore and I like her positivity.

Given that she's a LGBT(ish) character in a Japanese game, I wasn't expecting much more than a one-dimensional "I'm so gay and that's about it" character. But seeing as they actually did broaden the sexuality spectrum with Niles and Rhajat, I'd say that she's at least a step in the right direction. Well, more like a limp, but that's still movement. I don't understand why they didn't make her the gay option in the first place or better yet another one. I'd take another gay child unit over this. I find it hard to believe that she's a bisexual. Cutepeoplesexual, maybe but not bi? Really, the whole "likes guys" part of her feels forced due to her not being the gay option, leaving her with guys only, which I kind of find more offensive. Regarding her supports, I'm fine with her calling her mother cute. That's not creepy. What is creepy is how excessively she does it. And I wish that her supports had more development. There's definitely more to her than what they gave her. They could talk about her cheery, heroic attitude or how she would never, EVER make it in the entertainment industry. Possibly the sadness that lies beneath the smile.

Overall rating 6.5 out of 10. Like the personality. Like the localization. Not a fan of how gimicky she is.

Edited by Magic Ike