What makes your favorite FE lord your favorite?

Similar to the other thread for the games in general, I thought it'd be fitting to have one for the lords too, since they all define every game that's come out. :)

Why is your favorite lord your favorite?

Everybody here knows I love Ike the most and I think he's insanely hot in RD, but that's not the only thing I love about him. :P I've always loved his personality and I think he was written really well, particularly throughout PoR. He develops a lot, he's got known flaws and makes mistakes, etc. etc. I really admire his passion and his dedication towards his family and friends too. I also found him to be pretty funny in RD. I dunno why, but several of his lines in that game made me crack up. lol I also like that he's unique and stands out among the rest of the FE lord cast. His personality is very different from most of them and he's not a noble or royal and he doesn't get married during or at the end of either of his games (Awakening implies that he did possibly get married at some point though, because Priam. And believe it or not, that side of him that really cares for friends and family makes him a family sort of man too. He even treated his army like a family!).

He becomes a lord through his deeds and efforts, not because he was born into a family of them. Most lords in the series start off already having a lot of respect from the people around them. Ike is a common random nobody with no leadership skills when we first meet him. He had to work for the fame and respect he got and very well deserved it in the end. Also, the guy takes down a goddess. You can't get more epic than that.

There's also a nostalgia factor, as Ike was the very first FE character I got to know and enjoy since PoR was my first FE game. I also generally find RD Ike especially to be a complete badass. <3 Not only is Ike cool, he LOOKS really cool! He still has my favorite design in the whole series as well, especially in RD.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? I like Micaiah, at least personality-wise, although as a unit, she can get Speed screwed easily and wish more of RD had been dedicated to her story. I feel Radiant Dawn did "playing the bad guy" better than Conquests, and it could have been a lot better with some tweaks to the writing. Then again, so could Conquests, but I like Micaiah better than Corrin.

Micaiah is the reluctant hero and it explores the branded more that we got a glimpse of in PoR. The dynamic she has with Pelleas is great. Being a strong force to prop up a weak figure head with gray morality for the good of one's country is something we don't see enough of anymore.

I also like Ike, because he has character development and earns his lordship, rather than inheriting it. Sadly, most of the rest of the main lords are pretty bland, or stupidly naive.

It seems I tend to like lords that aren't actually lords...

With the trend of having a self-insert character being either the lord or the lord's cheerleading partner, I don't see them taking a risk with anything less than Mary Sue now.

Edited by Rezzy

I don't really particularly like most of the lords in the games.

I kinda like Holmes from Tear Ring Saga, because he's the only one I could call even slightly of suspect character, he is a pirate after all, and that's more interesting then most of the lords in Fire Emblem. A shame the translation patch is so bad right now and his lines are hilarious.

New translation patch that is making progress has some excerpts from him though.

Katri: […] Well, I’ll try my best. I want to be helpful to you all.

Holmes: You don’t need to push yourself. You’ve been doing great!

Katri: Holmes, do you really mean that…?

Holmes: Of course not, I was joking. Now go make yourself useful for a change and help out the others.

or alm and celica because I'm a hipster

Edited by Tryhard

Mine's a tie between Roy and Micaiah, so I'll explain for both

For Roy: He is a very admirable person. While in the main story he acts calm and composed, he only does it because he has to in order to keep morale high. His supports show he is far less sure of himself than the main story would tell you. But he still pushes forward despite that, which I find to be a very admirable trait.

For Micaiah: I feel she was one of the more flawed lords, that is through her sheer devotion to her king and country, and this is treated as such by the narrative before Yune comes and takes over. Also, she snarks early out. Snark is great.

Mine's a tie between Roy and Micaiah, so I'll explain for bothFor Roy: He is a very admirable person. While in the main story he acts calm and composed, he only does it because he has to in order to keep morale high. His supports show he is far less sure of himself than the main story would tell you. But he still pushes forward despite that, which I find to be a very admirable trait.For Micaiah: I feel she was one of the more flawed lords, that is through her sheer devotion to her king and country, and this is treated as such by the narrative before Yune comes and takes over. Also, she snarks early out. Snark is great.

It is thanks to Micaiah that we know the Priam is actually the descendant of Ike and Sothe.

I have three favorite Lords, so I'll praise all of them

Roy: For starters, he's the son of another character on this list, possibly anyway, but that isn't the only reason I like him. He's one of the only two protagonists that actually feel human, and while most post people complain about his usability as a unit, I actually like Roy as he is and wish more lords were like him unit wise

Lyn: She mothered Roy possibly, wielded samurai swords before Fates was even a concept, can use bows, and again actually feels human

Conquest!Corrin: I'm going to catch hate for this Manakete bias, and he's a

Camus I'm actually able to sympathize with for some reason

Edited by MCProductions

Conquest!Corrin: I'm going to catch hate for this Manakete bias, and he's a ------------------------

Spoiler tag the rest.

Leaf: I like uh, his story as a whole, the whole theme of him running away and escaping constantly is pretty cool, what with how he manages to liberate his homeland under such tough odds. He's also pretty good in both the games he's in.

Edited by Gradivus.

Spoiler tag this part.

Leaf: I like uh, his story as a whole, the whole theme of him running away and escaping constantly is pretty cool, what with how he manages to liberate his homeland under such tough odds. He's also pretty good in both the games he's in.

I'm not sure if you can really call it a spoiler when the promotional material for both Fates and Smash show him/her in Dragon form.

Seliph or Chrom

Seliph's a pretty cool guy and I like his hair. His outfit's also pretty great too

Chrom is also pretty cool. He's the army's straight man. He's a good father, though he clearly has bad taste if Miriel's not one of his marriage options. Chrom has a good design, voice, and class as well. I love the generic sword-wielding Lord class.

I'm not sure if you can really call it a spoiler when the promotional material for both Fates and Smash show him/her in Dragon form.

Miswording on my part, the dragon part definitely isn't a spoiler, the second part of that line was what I meant.

Edited by Gradivus.

Eirika really stuck with me because she was the one of the main protagonists of the first Fire Emblem game I've ever played. Ephraim is really cool too! I love the two twin lords! Ephraim's use of lances is really interesting, and the animations are so entertaining to watch lol. And even though Eirika makes foolish actions at some points in the story, she's very sweet and cute, and I really like that about her.

No other lords in the series have really mattered to me, except Corrin, but only a little bit. Ike, Marth, and Lucina and alright, I guess.

My favorite lord is definitely Micaiah, including as a unit. As a character: She's a flawed character, as others have mentioned, and the shit she pulls in game like the pegasus squad fiasco is called out in game. Her mistakes are actually acknowledged in game. She's a character that had so much potential to be stellar that fell short because of lackluster writing.

As a unit: She's different. She's as fragile as a wet piece of paper, but I love using her with resolve. The 14 speed threshold isn't all that hard to get in part 1 and there are creative uses for her as a utility unit. I find it more interesting than straightforward plow-through-a-bunch-of-shit or be in someone's back pockets the whole time to be ferried to the throne.

Hector He is funny and is the only lord who uses an ax as a main weapon, I also really like Ephraim but Hector is my personal favorite. I like all lords who don't wield swords as their main weapon, because I like lords to be different.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Eliwood, he may be a typical white prince to some, but I've always tried to aspire to be someone like Eliwood (And Cecil from Final Fantasy 4), kind, caring, but with a backbone (more in the later part of the game obviously).

He's one of the few Lords in the series who actually tries to talk things out, and it may have worked with Linus/Lloyd if the Morphs hadn't accounted for it, dude goes through alot of crap, and doesn't lose who he is. Respect.

Leif and Hector are probably my favorites.

It's hard to explain why I like them other then "I just do." Leif probably because it felt like the odds were against him a lot but he kept going on, wasn't a perfect pure lord off the bat... I just like him.

And Hector is awesome in general.

I like Eliwood too and I'm one of the few who likes Micaiah so... :u

Leaf is probably my favourite, he has to make a few tough calls and isn't quite as privileged or fortunate as the other lords in the serious. He makes mistakes and tries his best, which is a nice chance from the lords who do no wrong.

Chrom's actually a lot better than I thought in retrospect. He's surrounded by freaks and has to deal with it, he also struggles to make decisions and is swayed really by his own emotions. Comparing that to Ike who has everything go swimmingly for him and lacked a personality in FE10, Chrom could have done reasonably well if he had been in a better written game.

I need to play most of the games over again, in all honesty. But, if I had to throw out my first reaction, it would be Micaiah. As Ciarre pointed out, she has a lot of potential as a character, but ended up suffering due to bad writing. (Something which I've noticed is a trend across most games.)

She makess mistakes, but she's called out on them. She wants to do good in the world, and I think her devotion to king and country is part of that. She knows Pelleas, and truly believes him the rightful heir. Along with someone, anyone, who would be more just to the people of Daein than the Begnion rulers.

She's selfless, and willing to use sacrifice, even when it's dangerous for herself. (Though ingame, the skill turns out to be relatively useless.)

Overall, I'll say it again. Good character, bad writing.

The bad writing is why I don't like Micaiah, so I'm rather surprised to see as much love for her in here as I am. I thought she had the potential to be a great character, I really did. But she came off as too Sueish for me. Not saying she's a complete Mary-Sue, she just has too many Sue traits for my liking.

My favorite lord is Micaiah. basically because she has silver hair and is a light mage period.. I like her attitude towards the Daein tragedy and her ability to help reconstruct it, and even believing in Pelleas. My favoritism comes pretty much because it was a way to show that story is not one dimensional where you define precisely what is good and what is evil; and I like that trait: not seeing things upon one crystal but seeing them as a whole, in a holistic way. That, and how she challenged Ike, I like how the game rides the player through different perspectives and scenarios.

Edited by Quintessence

The bad writing is why I don't like Micaiah, so I'm rather surprised to see as much love for her in here as I am. I thought she had the potential to be a great character, I really did. But she came off as too Sueish for me. Not saying she's a complete Mary-Sue, she just has too many Sue traits for my liking.

See, I always thought she was the opposite, since the game's story does play her as a flawed character and she is called out on her questionable actions, like trying to shoot down Sanaki.

If anything, Ike was the more Sue-ish of the FE10 lords, basically nothing goes wrong for him and he doesn't seem to have faults. Now, he had them in FE9, but a large part of FE9's plot was him overcoming them. Which left him where he is for FE10, generally not having any room to grow or anything to fault him for, which reflects on FE10!Ike's writing more poorly than Micaiah's.

Just my two cents as a Micaiah fan/Ike hater, feel free to ignore me...

See, I always thought she was the opposite, since the game's story does play her as a flawed character and she is called out on her questionable actions, like trying to shoot down Sanaki.

If anything, Ike was the more Sue-ish of the FE10 lords, basically nothing goes wrong for him and he doesn't seem to have faults. Now, he had them in FE9, but a large part of FE9's plot was him overcoming them. Which left him where he is for FE10, generally not having any room to grow or anything to fault him for, which reflects on FE10!Ike's writing more poorly than Micaiah's.

Just my two cents as a Micaiah fan/Ike hater, feel free to ignore me...

But because Ike has PoR, he's not a Stu (Sue is a female-only term). I never said Micaiah was actually a Sue, only that she feels too Sueish for my liking. Everyone around her worships her from the beginning, even the Daein people, she has unique abilities and traits even among other Branded, and she rather suddenly has this super big secret heritage. And then Micaiah is thrown aside by Yune later which just made her even worse to me. And to make things even further worse, this has made people hate on Ike when like I said, it was YUNE who stole the spotlight, not him. Ike was already in the spotlight as soon as he first appeared in the game. Micaiah came back in at the end of part 3, but then Yune came in part 4 and just made her feel almost redundant. I like Yune, don't get me wrong, but this was just poorly handled. So I also hate Micaiah because she made people hate Ike for imo, stupid reasons. It's not the only reason though, of course, that would be silly.

Oh and mind you, a secret heritage/history can work if done right (I've used the concept myself a couple of times), but for Micaiah, I felt it wasn't. I never saw any explanation for how she ended up in Daein or anything if she's the true Begnion apostle. She would've been better off as an actual Daein-born Branded.

And as for RD Ike, I am also somewhat disappointed in how he was written, I wanted to see more growth and development for him. But thankfully, I was still entertained by his badassery and some of his lines. :P And his design, of course.

Edited by Anacybele