Moniker plays HALB: Team Hardcore Heroes

Welcome to Fire Emblem 8: Hella Awesome Lightning Boots! ([H.A.L.B.] For short)

This is a randomized and edited version of FE8. It was edited by Klokinator and features a number of gimmicks, though the editing is not at the level of FE7CM, and this hack is unrelated to FE8CM. Don't get it twisted.

-Every character in every class, player and enemy, has 9 movement. The exception is the Demon King.
-Weapon effects wasn'
t checked in this image, but I did check it in reality. Every weapon has a very high chance to add any 1 extra effect, such as poison, unlimited uses, a stat boost, or even the Devil effect. Watch out!
-Character classes, their recruitment order, their growths are all totally randomized, and boss classes are also randomized. Character bases are also randomized, though to a smaller degree.
-Every enemy and every boss has had their growths increased up to 100%. Some enemies will be very difficult, though this is subjective as I've allowed the tower and ruins grinding as needed.
-Items are also randomized, though to a lesser degree. Initially I wanted to edit descriptions for the LPers but since FEditor is borked after randomizing, that won'
t happen.

The goal of this LP is to try out a new gimmick (All units with 9 movement) but also to show off the all new (not really) WIP FE8 Randomizer Fix Patch! If you guys want to randomize with Otaku's randomizer, apply my patch and randomize! (In that order, please) Important fixes include monster weapons displaying stats properly and Eirika always being able to wield the Rapier (Provided her class can wield swords). Also if you randomize her position around (As I did) then the new not-lord won't but that's beside the point.

The LPers can play Ephraim or Eirika route, though Eirika route is recommended since I have not playtested Ephraim'
s.

Each LPer has a list of three units. They MUST use all three. They cannot use any units assigned to other LPers. These units appear at random intervals throughout the game. The LPers are only required to use the units on non-Ruins/Tower chapters. (Ie: Main story) and can grind them up if needed. Any units not listed can be used by everyone without limits.

Here are the unit lists:

[1] The Trifecta of Terror: Neimi, Amelia, Gerik [TAKEN BY TEQUILA]
[2] Lords of Chaos: Moulder, Rennac, Duessel [TAKEN BY ECLIPSE]
[3] Where's Gerik?: Innes, Tethys, Marisa [AUTO ASSIGNED TO MR. NIGHT]
[4] Hardcore Heroes: Forde, Natasha, Saleh [TAKEN BY MONIKER]
[5] Strength Without Power: L'
Arachel, Ephraim, Tana [TAKEN BY KIRIE]

Watch out for the demon king, and may the best LPer... win? I guess?

y6Wh7zj.png

And that's Klokinator's intro, made for us all to use. Now, for mine:

YMKGmD1.png

Welcome to...

Fire Emblem Hella Awesome Lightning Boots!

If you didn't gather, this is a randomized ROM, which me and four others are playing through simultaneously. Each of us will take our own unique team of three units. We can use whoever we want aside from those teams, where we HAVE to use the three units we pick, and can't use ANY of the other units.

Our team is Hardcore Heroes: Forde, Natasha, and Saleh. We are banned from using Neimi, Amelia, Gerik, Moulder, Rennac, Duessel, Innes, Tethys, Marisa, L'arachel, Ephraim, and Tana. That's a sizable chunk of FE8's limited units, so we'll pretty much need to take in anyone who isn't banned from us.

Also! None of the LPers are allowed to look at each others' threads. So, if you see any other LPers in the "viewing this topic" area, screenshot their name and then blackmail them with it.

From what I've heard, this is going to be quite difficult. We'd better be prepared for anything. I'll be posting growths and the like as normal.

Expect this to be a new major let's play, and I'll be prioritizing it equally with Requiem. Don't worry though, I'll try to not let Requiem slow down too much!

Without further ado:

HALB: Episode 1: Prologue: The Best Worst Crutch Character

9jvwIg5.pngMJ7iYvO.png

Okay! Let's begin. This is balanced for normal difficulty, and that's what we're using. I'm not bringing forced tutorials or unnecessary suffering upon myself, except for the part where I told Klok I'd play this hack.

KZWQONe.png

And now, evil will push my poor sanity to the brink of annihilation.

xhA5KYd.png

So depressing!

4wIV5ut.png3hq5Aee.png

Not all enemies are randomized, but all blue units are. Fado apparently is very equal-opportunity in monster/human employment.

68rJ0Qj.png

The enemies are their normal classes, but the bosses are mixed up. We've got a Paladin in our future!

ZPnl2nl.png

And also, a Centaur!

HyEzg9M.pngEp3wJvn.png

NO! How can we do this without our crutch character, Mr...

NWP3QPW.png

Myrhh??

eYirdEU.png

Wait, no! She lived! We're going to escape!

8YT5Oe1.pngv1X2x6c.png

We get a mostly useless weapon, and the battle begins! Let's start by looking at our characters:

exVQU6p.png

Now, there is a LOT to talk about. To start, look at his stats. They're looking a bit more... colorful than normal, aren't they? Klok's employed a new totally cool technical thing to help indicate growths without using Nightmare, though I'll still give specifics.

There are six tiers:

Grey: Basically nothing

White/Light Red: Very infrequent growth

Orange(or, yellow): Meh

Blue: Pretty great!

Green: Utterly beautiful

Joshua's growths:

HP: 105%

Strength: 105%

Skill: 40%

Speed: 30%

Luck: 20%

Defense: 75%

Resistance: 10%

Total: 385%

He's... actually really good! If I can find him some Talismans to shore up that resistance, then he'll be super-tanky, if vulnerable to the RNG in misses and critical hits,

6DdufEm.pngfWiHQ3h.png

Next up! Like in FE7 Chaos Mode, all of the weapons have been randomized, and many have special effects. Joshua right now can muster very little offense (though that will change!), but we'll have to try each one out to see special effects.

d389fgB.pngOoUCU5e.pngIZSZyfp.pngUTMWaeH.png

Myrrh's stats are different than they were in the cutscene... well, she's a standard crutch character, who's decided to invest her growths in important things, like HP, Res, and A STAT SHE'S ALREADY CAPPED MY GOSH

Myrrh's growths:

HP: 120%

Strength: 220%

Skill: 30%

Speed: 70%

Luck: 0%

Defense: 0%

Resistance: 115%

Total: 555% technically, 335% reality

220% strength... that's... that's just CRUEL!

Myrrh only has 10 levels to gain, and so we'll drop her once we don't need her.

Also, the steel sword is nearly worthless while the killing edge has become an even better weapon. Hah.

GIg0Zqr.pngG7W5k70.png

The enemies have all had their growths randomized(you can see it in the stat colors), but we'll barely feel it in the first few chapters. For now, just notice that the iron axe has gotten a LOT better, and even gives resistance to the fighters who normally lack it! Huh.

8xXbS9S.pngvhTLq0Z.png

O'Niell has been randomized into a wimpy knight with the incredibly powerful Killer Lance (13 MT...). I don't think Joshua can beat this guy.

WJiHwep.png

This isn't so bad! I was expecting everything to be horrible!

8h8Rslv.png

Never mind. The palette makes this fight utterly unbearable. I didn't know Joshua was such a fan of pink.

e0jI7bF.png

Seth? You're with us? Where are you!? GET OUT AND FIGHT, MAN!

qLUNmUZ.pngBphEjJ4.png

Oh, right! Let's not forget: EVERYONE has 9 movement! Joshua is going to be a slow, bulky knight capable of crossing half the map in 2 turns.

R7IeCS9.png

Since Joshua's been injured, I'll have to rely on Myrrh to weak-

rdbM4oM.png3dqzYfO.png

Kill. KILL the boss. Yeah.

Myrrh is a character who is terrible long term, but far, far too strong to do anything BUT kill in the short term.

QoOPz9q.png

The princess isn't injured, but Joshua is! Then again, you wouldn't know, since the story is following a totally separate group from Joshua and Myrrh, apparently.

J0cdwkk.png

NEXT TIME: The craziness turns up a notch, and I expect the trend will do nothing but continue

Since I don't have to record tons of text, hopefully this LP will go by quickly! And hopefully, the RNG will be merciful!

Edited by TheMoniker

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HALB: Episode 2: Chapter 1: The True Nature of HALB Begins to Show

fqHsTrN.png

It's not much of an escape... really closer to a "fight your way into the friendly fort"...

vVMDRfyL.png

Cavalier Brequet's army approaches!

dlsufBO.pngo7tkRGs.png

And the first of the three "Frelians suck" scenes plays! Seriously, the RNG has some sort of vendetta against this guy.

xDTXH7e.png

"Who is that swordsmaster and knight on the field?"

"I don't know, but we'd better go around!"

93RMOoS.png

And we start! First off, Iron Lances are coming in in full force. They look very heavy and slightly but more powerful, but they have more to them than that, trust me.

ZaYV2J4.png0PrK7fV.png

Charcoal Breguet here looks normal, but that 12 def + gate bonuses + no infantry-hurting weapon available? Yeah... he's going to be a problem...

OLzKzit.png

Well, to begin, I walk halfway across the map onto the fort. Having 9 movement is great.

9T4IUhf.png

No, it's the pink knight of Renais. Don't get them mixed up!

UcSUeeC.png

Well, this is an engagement.

KdUC7G7.png

That has now tipped in Joshua's favor!

kWYlfNa.png

Wait, how exactly did Myrrh lose so much health?

Guess it...

That's right! Steel swords have a devil effect. This means Myrrh MUST use her killing edge or kill herself!

This gets even better later. Just you wait.

fghC7HF.png

New people!

rQ1Gn44.png

Whoa whoa whoa! I thought we had another turn before these freaks??!

mzIP8nw.png

Myrrh can't escape from them, so I resign myself to her taking all the EXP. They won't attack Joshua since they already have him surrounded.

Right! Can't forget the newbies!

b9Zr7PI.png5DWN8Jt.pngLpMV3FH.png

I'm happy someone thought to bring ample supplies, who knows how long it will be before we receive a proper healer? He's not banned, but those greyed-out stats don't look so good...

(Btw, Gilliam is replacing Franz here. So close to replacing himself!)

Gilliam's growths:

HP: 125%

Strength: 100%

Skill: 10%

Speed: 0%

Luck: 50%

Defense: 10%

Resistance: 65%

Total: 360%

Talk about skewed priorities... We need him and can't drop him, but we have to do something about that speed! Aside from that, I can see him becoming an amazing anti-mage character.

o6yvYlp.pngXW1Phvm.pngK9Q6y4l.png

Duessel's come too! Sadly, he's banned from our usage... but the Metis's Tome isn't! Another change Klok made; Metis's Tome gives +20% growths to all stats-just like in FE7 Chaos Mode! This can turn even one of our worst suckers into something worth using. And we will need it.

Duessel's Growths:

HP: 50%

Strength: 5%

Skill: 40%

Speed: 70%

Luck: 80%

Defense: 35%

Resistance: 75%

Total: 355%

Wow, it's like he's Gilliam's opposite twin. Even if I could use him, I wouldn't necessarily want to due to garbage HP and strength.

Ks4WXZf.png

Wait... Iron Sword beats Iron Lance? Huh?

BqOnTi3.png

Oh! This is what I was talking about earlier: Iron lances have the reaver effect! In a game with a lot of axes, particularly early on, having easy access to a Reaver boosts lance user status from "eh" to "great!", and lances will be a huge asset to all who have them.

5nBTQbd.png

Well, the good news is that this map wasn't designed for fliers, and we have an easy place to stash Duessel.

WwEwyJA.pngPS4T7iT.png

*sigh*

The enemies who attack Myrrh don't do very well.

hNUNyVS.png0gMUwdc.png

And now there's only a few left. I decide it's time to pull this stupid crutch character away from the slaughtering grounds.

C3pCbCL.pngYPIKB2j.png

Except... fliers don't have Canto, which, combined with 9 MOV, means the fighters can reach poor Duessel. It feels like every decision I make is wrong!

fURbTQ0.png

But I just have to remember, 9 MOV helps BOTH sides. Joshua! Block the path!

sTzyeKu.png

*slobbering*

Joshua best lord

ZsQu7k7.png

Okay, now to-seriously?

zOckyV7.png

So... nobody can hurt him.

EW7Spc4.png1IuBQD6.png

Meaning we must give our stupid crutch EVEN MORE experience! Just great! WOO-FRIGGIN-HOO.

sEEqm7v.png

She doesn't even get a level... Ugh, let's get out of here. Hopefully next chapter's characters will be better.

NEXT TIME: It doesn't get better.

I am falling so, so far behind the other LPers... I MUST UPDATE FASTER.

HALB: Episode 3: Chapter 2: Will this update go well on my birthday? Probably not.

QDHh8lT.png

We can now Map Screen! Such a pleasure!

lq529av.pngXHv1PnE.pngUQLV5KH.png

We have a brand new and TOTALLY BANNED Tarvos, Gerik! We do get to keep that infinite use axe, which will be great when we get someone who can use axes.

Gerik's Growths:

HP: 120%

Strength: 20%

Skill: 25%

Luck: 40%

Defense: 30%

Resistance: 20%

Total: 270%

Are you kidding me? I'm suddenly not regretting choosing Hardcore Heroes... but then, I haven't seen any of my team yet. I'm not sure whether to be excited or fearful of finding them.

sQ2icid.pngPtTnvFf.pngnvEU8id.png

We also have yet another banned character with an infinite-use weapon, Tana. We're going to get some people from team Hardcore Heroes soon, right?

Tana's Growths:

HP: 110%

Strength: 0%

Skill: 55%

Speed: 65%

Luck: 80%

Defense: 35%

Resistance: 45%

Total: 390%

Well, this makes me feel better about not using her. She looks great, if it wasn't for that whole "literally no strength" thing.

WfUjjBE.png

Gilliam is somebody we can use, and we need him up to snuff. I explained the Metis tome before, so let's see it!

Gilliam's NEW growths:

HP: 145%

Strength: 120%

Skill: 30%

Speed: 20%

Luck: 70%

Defense: 30%

Resistance: 85%

Total: 480%

He's gonna be amazing now.

P01GCxx.png

Yeah, I'd really love some more troops, guy.

XQGIwHr.png

Who are these people? Are the with us? Or not?

FPpHecv.png

*da-daaaaaaa*

7Bmw72i.png

The odds of that are worse than Duessel's strength growth!

xHB8O2x.pngTgs5F7r.png

The game spits in the face of us 100%ers, and then we start!

Twjo61b.pngpePJHSO.pngqUcnu1X.png

4cNLaYn.png

We reach a record 3 banned character recruitment today. Woo! It's a pity too, since this guy looks really good! At least we can use the toxin lance, however uselessly infinite it may be.

Rennac's Growths:

HP: 0%

Strength: 45%

Speed: 10%

Luck: 95%

Defense: 45%

Resistance: 10%

Total: 260%

His bases are so excellent he almost functions like a pseudo-crutch character, but he decided to specialize in JUST luck. And it's terrible.

vlU8ebc.png

He also has a door key for some reason. I guess as long as we don't have a thief, I'll hold onto it.

6uEPlBQ.png5TyLMH8.pngBmXAByw.png

And lastly, Ross. Finally, somebody we can actually use! Let's see his growths:

Ross's Growths:

HP: 135%

Strength: 15%

Speed: 85%

Luck: 45%

Resistance: 0%

Total: 335%

Nightmare says that yes, he does replace himself!

This is very... un-gargoyle-like... I don't know what to say. We're using him no matter what, so I just have to make sure he keeps dodging and never gets hurt.

cP9bnoC.png

Time to actually start gameplay! To begin, we have to save this village, but the bandits are in position to destroy it almost immediately! Again, 9 MOV is totally messing with the chapter balance. It's always important to remember, we can move at lightning speed too!

cCPu8Iq.png

Our boss is still a bandit. I thought it was really lucky that he still generated as a bandit, but then I realized it's probably intentional, because otherwise he'd be stuck on that mountain.

z70NrJH.png

New weapon! Iron bows are lighter but otherwise seemingly normal.

PVam9EN.png2FeaR8V.png

Treasures! Yeah!

NQUWe3v.png

Thankfully, the bandit decided to stand in the village to attack Duessel instead of destroying the village. I know, I'm not supposed to use him, but it was an accident! I tried to lure the bandit away with a different unit and it didn't work!

kf4oHf1.pngHURLTwe.png

Well okay then. This bandit's having an "on" day.

T2oEXoR.png

Ow! Well, maybe Ross will fly in our direction to escape?

WP5JGnX.png

Oh, he'll fly... right where we CAN'T get him! Thanks a lot!

RavN5up.png

Kill-stealer!

xMZ9FuX.png

The pink knight of Renais. Remember it!

(I know it seems like we shouldn't be fighting him yet, but Bone's escaped the mountains WAY early with 9 MOV.

mQHWvsB.png

Sorry, sorry, don't mean to!

Z5IPwxE.png

No, bandit! STOP MAKING ME BREAK THE RULES!

PqaPdjh.png

Well, he's where we can get to him, but he's also miles away.

H5RsmBP.png

New people! The more the merrier, right?

enoA2ND.png

IT WAS ALL SO WORTH IT

So, have any of you been reading Integrity's analysis thread? I'd strongly suggest you do, it's worth checking out. Integrity mentioned "unstable equilibrium" and putting all the best rewards in the hardest-to-get places means that people who are doing amazing won't need it and the people who need it won't get it. I think that putting a pure water in this village is actually good design, as most players need the Red Gem and Elixir far, far more. This village also teaches new players that the bandits really will destroy villages, as they probably won't get it on their first run through the chapter, without removing a really major reward.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

N6RtICz.png

Greenie kill count: 2! Stop it, you guys!

ySVyndq.png

Okay, okay. Hopefully I can get Ross kills while he's on the blue team.

RUAWPPi.png

Ross zips over to Rennac and we've got everyone accounted for!

g3xbZtj.png

I even managed to get Ross the bosskill. No level, sadly.

N5CpHzd.png

Well, nobody else here is a soldier either. You guys haven't done any of the fighting but get all the talking scenes!

HVH20va.png

*insert twincest joke with out-of-context dialogue*

FRWGI1I.png

NEXT TIME: We find one of our team units!

Edited by TheMoniker

I like how Ross has literally no potential of gaining bulk.

He does have 135% HP. He will at least avoid getting oneshot during lategame despite 6 Def/1 Res ( Deathgoyle promotion gains don't really exist iirc.).

Thanks for posting the actual stat growths; I'm finding it pretty amusing. I've obviously more or less noticed general growths based on what I've seen in who I'm using, but it's fun to compare my anecdata to what the numbers actually say.

He does have 135% HP. He will at least avoid getting oneshot during lategame despite 6 Def/1 Res ( Deathgoyle promotion gains don't really exist iirc.).

I knew my phrasing was bad when I typed that out this morning haha.

Yeah he'll get good HP, kinda reminds me of Quan in FE4, but without of course a def growth.

Not sure what I'm going to die about monster promotions. I might do some Nightmare stuff to give them extra stats, considering that they make up a good portion of my team.

Thanks for posting the actual stat growths; I'm finding it pretty amusing. I've obviously more or less noticed general growths based on what I've seen in who I'm using, but it's fun to compare my anecdata to what the numbers actually say.

Hey! Get back in your own thread!

Yeah, it's always fun to compare your experience of anything to the reality.

Prepare for an extra-long update in...

HALB: Episode 4: Chapters 3 and 4: Hardcore Heroes on the Scene

EFk7yWl.pngl1iQ8cz.pngvC43A54.pngIJOMvaL.png

The shop opens up to us and reveals some crazy new weapons. The slim sword seems near-useless, and dark magic users seem to be getting totally shafted with that Flux.

OaKvspU.png

The upcoming chapter!

uF90U26.png

When she says "bow" she means "magic".

z5Q9aIn.pnguOver1O.pngZwpP7aJ.png

Because she's a he, Forde, and a pupil! He's part of our must-use team! Because of that, he probably has amazing growths!

Forde's Growths:

HP: 55%

Magic: 0%

Skill: 15%

Luck: 50%

Defense: 50%

Resistance: 70%

Total: 240%

*SHOT*

DANGIT KLOK

Okay, so. His offense literally couldn't be more hopeless. If we bother to give him levels, he at the very least won't disintegrate upon contact with a weapon, but... why, darnit!? WHY?

Also, he's a T1 Pupil and not a T0/0.5. This is actually good news, since we'd need to use crazy shenanigans to promote him otherwise (the game can only promote T0s if they're Amelia, Ross, or Ewan). Still, don't be thinking 10 extra levels will help to make up for this!

56gy29Q.pngr7LikT7.pngWOZgp1I.png

Once again, our bandit boss is still a bandit, and he has crazy high stats. He won't be easy. He also shows off an infinite-use 1-2 range weapon! Good for axe users!

y8n678y.png

Might as well get started while we wait for the Colm character to show up.

p5arFaT.png

A wyvern?

ZAZ7caJ.png

It's Natasha! And since she's not a thief, she has no idea how to open that door. We'll have to do it ourselves.

pCBDQdA.png1ovRcT0.pngc944ZCx.png

For those who have forgotten, Natasha is the second member of Team Harcore Heroes, so we'll have to use her as well. The last member, who's still missing, is everybody's favorite, Saleh! ...He IS everybody's favorite, right?

Anyways, maybe Natasha can cheer me up after the catastrophe that was and is Forde?

Natasha's Growths:

HP: 55%

Strength: 40%

Skill: 120%

Speed: 20%

Luck: 5%

Resistance: 120%

Total: 360%

Well! That's not so bad! Natasha has very good base defense and strength, making up for her poor growths in those stats. 12 DEF will be enough to survive through the game, if we can get some Dracoshields to her later. Mage-tank skills help as well. I foresee speed and luck being a major roadblock to her success, however.

jSkufLH.png

Let's not wait! Get her with the group!

WExLoko.png

What a guy.

iesfjzy.png

Joshua can dispatch these bandits with ease. Granted, the amazing power of lances helps.

bDiwp4e.pngjLBWNso.png

Ross kills someone and gets a pretty good level! He'll need to use that HP growth if he's going to survive later on.

7gNcHgM.png

This is what happens when I entrust a kill to Natasha!

hb72FE4.png

Looking at these new units, I kind of wished I'd held on to the Metis's tome for a bit. Oh well, at least Gilliam's using it.

Tr3Eace.png

Our group has a total of 2 chest keys, since we didn't get the thief like in normal FE8. So, we have to choose the chest rewards. Thankfully, we don't lose out on anything good.

EmPzeWd.pngf3MsmD8.png

Forde D:

This is going to be hell with him, isn't it?

D2cYG3Z.png

EQPIhiw.png

Mr Worthless took a detour to grab this nice new weapon for us.

I4wzvL4.png

The enemies here are dispatched with relative ease. No problems at all.

lsSKZZh.png

Okay, the boss is the only guy left! After how easy everyone else was, surely-

L4meC6u.png

WELL. So that's how it is.

Ql5Sfq5.png

I'll... I'll have to have... NO! I CAN FIND SOME OTHER WAY TO SOLVE THIS!

qAkexkY.png

Natasha's our best shot! Go, girl!

OLu1p7a.png

Ow! Even Joshua is struggling!

oUedKdG.png

With no healer of my own, and Bazba's throne being problematic, I give in to the Myrrh side.

BDe72Vi.png

Let's just leave. The stupid boss ruined what otherwise was a good chapter.

cK4dc1s.png

Yeah, Colm, maybe if you were even HERE.

KAttqdN.png

Not one, but TWO Eirika lords? An Eirika and an Ephraim would have been more appropriate...

dAPK7R8.png

And a Manakete boss! I bet that'll be interesting.

7ZZIIIp.png

If you didn't gather from the title, we're doing another chapter, even if it will make this update go long.

29dUHGf.png

What about the ones we have with us? Have we seen those? Or wait, maybe it's referring to Eirika!

ukio6Uc.png

A trainee charges out to help us! It is...

vnOmHDW.png

...Hayden! From the Tower/Ruins characters! Well, he's not on the banned list. Let's take a look.

76i1CXP.png

We get a preparation screen now! Finally! Always good to have.

yFjqnaB.pnglwVxraL.pngdX247HB.png

Hmmm... I mean... he doesn't look terrible at first glance...

Hayden's Growths:

HP: 40%

Skill: 65%

Speed: 50%

Resistance: 40%

Total: 195%

Were the growths weighted in some way? Why do we keep getting so many ZEROES? It's like every unit has at least one! And Hayden has one of the lowest totals we've seen so far! I was kind of planning on using him, but banned list or no, he is NOT worth any time I dare wasting on him! No offense! No defense! No growths that even REMOTELY make up for the lack of those things!

owrmMi5.png

Sadly, we must take Hayden this chapter. I'm happy I can remove the units I can't use from the battle now, at least.

04l5Voe.png

Here's our chapter! And the boss is... uh...

XsPaiRj.png

...A T3 Journeyman. ...Okay.

RDyXr62.png

Yeah, if I get a T3 Journeyman with these stats, I'd call it a "grotesque creature" too.

ynkmIuS.png

But, we do get to see a new weapon! A HORRIBLE new weapon!

T72Bmbb.pnglrDakG0.png

Monster weapons show their stats now, and we can see that they seem to have gained some power. They will be dangerous.

13Eje5L.png

GAH! What the heck, Iron Sword? Both the Steel AND Iron Swords have that stupid devil effect! Sword users are getting screwed over so hard, and I just want him to get D Swords for the Armorslayer...

GRJW3TX.png

Ross is pushing his strengths. We'll see how it works out for him.

i40dOUA.png

I continue pushing kills into Forde...

i9iwHy5.png

And he continues to spit in my face. I'm beginning to regret my team choice...

9d432Uk.png

Yeah, all these axes will be great, WHEN WE HAVE AN AXE USER.

0CoA4x1.pngDsfrebt.png

Ow! What the heck? Why are these guys doubling Joshua? They aren't that fast!

o3G5HYG.png

Forde desperately corrects his early mistake, since I was forced to reset. I'll forgive you, Forde... just this once.

Lu6DeSV.png

Yeah, these guys should never be able to double Joshua! Unless...

8W0mniK.png

Unless the Evil Eye is a brave weapon. Of course. Of course. That's just wonderful. Yet another thing to worry about.

qoHdWeY.png

Why are you hitting yourself, Gilliam? Stop it!

Bd40Wdd.png

I'm forced to use Hayden, just because he can one-shot the yes and the whole 9 MOV thing means I'm getting swarmed by all the mobs that move.

DUXUhFn.png

Though you can't see it, Natasha's fighting on the bottom of the map to get the Lute character slot. Go, Natasha!

hV7zURK.png

Gilliam: Still being pretty okay.

9hixbe8.pngz7f8dBT.png

Don't look! SPOILERS!

5AbPMQC.png

So many enemies... 9 MOV is breaking all the maps in two, and I suspect it will only get worse as we go through the game.

SJNbvkZ.pngOxhbZVV.png

Eh levels. Amazing levels. Even as all my other units fail me, I'm glad to see Joshua actually preparing himself for the hell that I'm sure this ROM will turn into.

dcqDgbN.png

I really, really hate getting Myrrh involved, but I'm not in a position to not receive her help...

Jp3RMWm.png

She gets a level. It's horrible.

4yAWrq9.png

Hayden also is horrible.

tILt8cV.png

Joshua re-gets his level, but better. I think he's starting to fully accept the possibility that he alone will soon be forced to carry the entire team.

TMzb96B.png

I really should have showed more of Natasha's struggle near the bottom village. Assume she's doing well.

t5VDgcZ.png

The people on top THOUGHT they had a minute to catch their breath, but no.

xFfwlJv.png

Let's get some help out here! It's...

ttptp3N.pngfODA5Iu.pngMaQm2uV.png

Actually still Lute, but as another Pupil. Please can I have good growths?

...Please?

Lute's Growths:

HP: 85%

Magic: 60%

Skill: 50%

Speed: 15%

Luck: 70%

Defense: 10%

Resistance: 45%

Total: 335%

Well! It's nice to see that not ALL magic units are going to completely suck for me! Lute's actually somewhat of a normal unit, and even though her class is already "represented" in our team, I'm taking her. We need her to balance out Forde's suckiness.

aRKrqm7.png

Forde continues to demonstrate to me why I should be taking Lute along. Maybe I can promote him into a healer at some point?

AXXLW24.png

All that's left is "Monster" here.

o3rAwkN.png

I mean, for all we know, this could be some woodcutter who was hiding in the trees to stay away from the monsters. But he's red, so we need to kill him!

TSbX2HR.png

Lute gets the bosskill, and immediately puts me to work on second-guessing my life decisions.

yyne8H3.png

"Yeah, except for the MONSTROUSLY bad people on our side! And the actual monsters on our side."

c3VbfJi.png

NEXT TIME: 9 MOV continues to break everything.

I saved the first Metis Tome from C2 and then immediately gave it to Tana and soon as I saw her; I guess she came in at a good time. The timing for the other 2 made their use pretty easy to me. I have no regrets dumping them all onto my forced units, since I had to use them anyway, and it's worked out pretty great, I think.

For someone who loves Saleh so much, you seem to have a thing against pre-promotes. Granted, Saleh is an actual good prepromote, unlike a lot of prepromotes in the series, but I find most of the prepromotes in FE8 are pretty good.

Having read MrNight's run so far, I can tell you Saleh joins you at the same time he does in vanilla FE8.

well shit, there goes my crappy idea

I actually had the same idea with Lute which is how I learned. Klok shot my dreams down.

Ross's growths seem geared towards dodge tanking, as he's got decent to amazing growths in all 3 stats a dodge tank wants most: HP, Speed, and Luck. If it weren't for that terrible Strength growth, he'd probably be a good unit. I should hope Klok lets monsters promote though, as monsters do have "promoted" versions(i.e. Entombed is a promoted Revenant, Wight is a promoted Bonewalker, etc.), but I don't know if they are programmed to be able to promote given that they're meant to be enemy only. If I were Klok, I'd make it so at least a master seal will work on them.

Ross's growths seem geared towards dodge tanking, as he's got decent to amazing growths in all 3 stats a dodge tank wants most: HP, Speed, and Luck. If it weren't for that terrible Strength growth, he'd probably be a good unit. I should hope Klok lets monsters promote though, as monsters do have "promoted" versions(i.e. Entombed is a promoted Revenant, Wight is a promoted Bonewalker, etc.), but I don't know if they are programmed to be able to promote given that they're meant to be enemy only. If I were Klok, I'd make it so at least a master seal will work on them.

They are, the others have promoted their monsters, but it's really underwhelming, because the only stat ups they get are in Con.

They are, the others have promoted their monsters, but it's really underwhelming, because the only stat ups they get are in Con.

Huh, Klok should probably give them promotion gains then.

Not sure what I'm going to die about monster promotions. I might do some Nightmare stuff to give them extra stats, considering that they make up a good portion of my team.

The game doesn't appear to be hard enough to justify that. I'm pretty sure that everybody else also left the promotional gains unchanged (at least I remember Eclipse being angry about +3 Con).

Though, I'm just stating my opinion. The decision on whether or not you want to change promotion gains/post-promotion stats is obviously yours.

Edited by Cyas

I would honestly restart the game, you giving that tome to useless gill hurts the soul.

then again the amount of suffering caused by such an action would be entertaining so...

Restarting the game over a misplaced +20% growth item? I'm not inclined to perform such actions! I PERSEVERE!

actually you could promote forde into a summoner, that way he'd always be useful

Hey! That's a really good-

Sadly, Forde can't promote to Summoner because he's a T1 Pupil, not T0. So, it's either Sage or Super Pupil.

-dangit.

For someone who loves Saleh so much, you seem to have a thing against pre-promotes. Granted, Saleh is an actual good prepromote, unlike a lot of prepromotes in the series, but I find most of the prepromotes in FE8 are pretty good.

Having read MrNight's run so far, I can tell you Saleh joins you at the same time he does in vanilla FE8.

Gah! MY EYES! THE SPOILERS! WHY?? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?? YOU KNOW I CAN'T RESIST OPENING THEM!

HALB: Episode 6: Chapter 5: Town of Fast Walkers

QoSR0Cm.png

Oh, good, there's only five of them!

eziQfUP.png

Joshua temporarily abandons his duties as commander of the army to go gambling. What with him carrying the team and all, I can see why he'd want to let out a little stress.

vG7JsvW.png

HE'S PROBABLY WITH US! GET ON THE TEAM!

Hgo4d1i.png

Sadly, Saleh leaves, releasing a different character instead!

XbqfKq4.png

So, in this chapter, we will once again be feeling the horrible brokenness that occurs as a result of everyone having 9 MOV.

R49dx62.png

The team! ...Because we don't have anyone else usable.

uEVf55i.pngaQFWUOg.png

L'Arachel is absolutely 100% banned, which is a pity because she's the only one who can use the Shamshir right.

L'Arachel's growths:

HP: 100%

Strength: 5%

Skill: 80%

Speed: 10%

Luck: 40%

Defense: 20%

Resistance: 75%

Total: 330%

Well, these are some of the weirdest growths I've seen in a while. Her bases are excellent, but 8-10 strength won't get her through, and skill doesn't make up for a lack of speed.

hyKW4V2.png

Spot the odd one out?

NsFr93G.png2TKyl1x.pngMUGHu9P.png

Good news! We can actually use Garcia! Bad news! He only comes with that hammer! How the heck would that EVER be useful?

Garcia's Growths:

HP: 100%

Skill: 10%

Speed: 30%

Defense: 80%

Resistance: 55%

Total: 275%

Well, he'll be... tanky... and... yeah, that's basically it.

He's STILL better than Hayden. I'll take him.

QQ36wYU.png

Turn 1! Yeah!

dQ20qg1.png

This is Garcia's movement range. The good news is, the hammer makes him easier to recruit. Still, the messed-up movement here means that we have to approach the town with caution.

NqpwOtF.png

Caution means JOSHUA TANKS EVERYTHING

KnjZeh4.png

It worked!

JHEmuOm.png

Remember how, in Chapter 2, the bandits having the advantage of light-speed made them get to the villages super-quick? Well, that's the case again here. We have to move through the town fast or lose valuable items.

AxTPPmU.png

I expect Gilliam will become an incredibly beefy cavalier, but he'll constantly miss attacks in the future.

0Nkjpcf.png

Lute... is like Forde.

Cs72FqX.png

The bandits have a lot of HP, but I expect that if I can maneuver right and block their path, they won't be too hard to deal with.

rH93wGh.png

Gee, I wonder why Ross hasn't gained any defense yet...

CmdkK54.png

Garcia swoops in!

4chbJf2.png

As does an archer! Ow! My bad!

L5fcJH5.png

Get on the team, and find a weapon other than that uglyhgammer!

s8wXS1u.png

Forde manages an astonishingly good level, for him at least.

YxT8czB.pngWirJwL3.png

Here we go. MUCH better.

ZEIhv6Y.png

Another house saved, and another weapon gotten. With infinite uses, and since we already have one, this armorslayer is mostly useless.

oVGOs1W.png

2 Res!

F4G24CU.pngAohY652.png

Natasha helps clear out some enemies, which lets us advance further into the town. Since 9 MOV lets us lure out enemies from super far away, there's barely anyone left!

SuAAqOS.png

The shop has little of use, but we still need to pick up stuff.

Speaking of which... when will we get a proper healer? Please let it be soon...

HG1ciWd.png

Earmarked for our skill-lacking units.

DCiOQck.pngWEjTgrS.png

I forgot to show Saar earlier! He's VERY tanky, but can't fight back at 1 range. Chipping is the order of the day.

BpbpTIf.png

Gee, and just when I was getting comfortable too.

Ij4JfsD.png

This isn't a testament to the bandit's high RES so much as it is a testament to Lute sucking.

GXm8UXT.png

Garcia makes a fitting level debut.

om1OEng.png

Lute continues to happily dodge every important stat.

Tjf8wtT.png

We're totally okay, the map is almost clear and the house is within reach.

GE6AGxu.png

Speaking of which... since we don't have any sort of thief, we NEED this for chapter 6.

AvJjJ62.pnguHoOVPv.png

Forde shows himself as worse than Lute, and we're at the boss!

pIixGnq.pngrY0c7p6.png3fmvlD3.png

But first off, some new bling in the armory! Who knows what special effects the weapons carry? We'll find out, one way or another...

Ic6DptE.png

You'd think a giant axe beheading would do a bit more damage!

k2leFdl.png

Good, Ross! Good! If you can't have defense, then you'll need to kill everything else first!

*MUCH CHIPPING WITH NO THREAT LATER*

7ql4EBe.png

Victory!

heMziay.png

Gilliam is REALLY pushing that strength, wow.

re7kbK3.png

Not really. Not even one death.

Rqol7tc.png

Now THIS makes me happy. We'll need it to promote Lute or Forde, which will probably make them good! ...Right?

...*sob*...

h9TS8fS.png

NEXT TIME: We meet the best worst unit in the game. Yes, even more wonderfully bad than what we've seen so far.