Moniker plays HALB: Team Hardcore Heroes

In hindsight, I probably should have worded it as Saleh joins you

at the same point he usually does.

, that way you'd have known what was in the tag beforehand, but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. On the bright side, choosing a route should be easier now.

Edited by Matthewtheman

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well! My schedule is now much clearer, and I'm going to be able to update a lot more often. Look forward to it!

In hindsight, I probably should have worded it as Saleh joins you

at the same point he usually does.

, that way you'd have known what was in the tag beforehand, but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. On the bright side, choosing a route should be easier now.

I was always going to take Eirika route, as Klok apparently didn't balance Ephraim's route. I heard it didn't go so well for the other LPer/s who tried.

HALB: Episode 7: Chapter 5x: Seth, the RNG-Defying Renevant

D4LkPZx.png

Hopefully, the game will have mercy on us, since we're cut off from a map screen and shops.

zsPeJJQ.png

A traitor? WHO COULD IT BE?

49T4dEM.png

A merry band of a zombie, skeleton, thief, and totally-not-traitor swordsmaster sally up to the castle. Surely, them beating down an entire military force will happen without a problem.

czWoJ0S.png

And we're in! We have 4 new characters to look at here:

UjY15OA.pngiD3XJ2x.png4a084pu.pngNctsSlQ.png

Kyle, our Ephraim replacement! Let's see what growths he's packing!

Kyle's Growths:

HP: 75%

Strength: 0%

Skill: 0%

Speed: 90%

Luck: 45%

Defense: 50%

Resistance: 45%

Total: 305%

And this guy's our Lord. We HAVE to use him. I was hoping for another copy of Joshua, but this is not that!

So. Even if he'll be really weak, having good HP, speed, defense, and resistance means that he will become very durable as he grows. However, without statboosters he'll have 8 Strength and 7 skill forever, so we'll need to find a way to work around that.

Hlr8zRj.pngrqlI9MH.png

And here we have Seth. I'm pretty sure he's only here as a joke. He exists to take a few hits with his gigantic HP and maybe cut the enemies up a little, but I can't see him going beyond that.

Seth's Growths:

HP: 85%

Strength: 10%

Speed: 35%

Luck: 50%

Defense: 30%

Resistance: 30%

Total: 240%

Well. He's not as bad as I was expecting (STILL BETTER THAN HAYDENMELIA), but also still utterly atrocious. I can't see him ever becoming anything but an HP-tank, and with the player HP cap at 60, even that is unlikely.

CKPU7Au.pngmKWI84D.pngruA9oIu.png

Finally! FINALLY! A thief! Yes!

Next thing you know, we might even get a healer!

Cormag's growths:

HP: 180%

Strength: 0%

Speed: 0%

Luck: 35%

Defense: 105%

Resistance: 0%

Total: 320%

Is this guy intended to remind me of Bartre in FE7 Chaos Mode? Well, either way, he will at the very least turn out as an INTERESTING thief. Plus, like Kyle, we're stuck with him no matter what, so yeah.

xKWyw3f.pngc9GC7dJ.png91VS6jd.png

Well, here's everybody's favorite traitor! He brings with him weapons that make sword-users seem to have Magikarp power, and we absolutely MUST take those off him before the chapter ends. For now, he acts as a worse Myrrh, but if we WERE to keep him:

Orson's growths:

HP: 25%

Strength: 40%

Skill: 60%

Speed: 15%

Luck: 20%

Defense: 40%

Resistance: 80%

Total: 280%

Orson's growths are... astonishingly normal, honestly! He'd probably just be an okay prepromote.

npDlJ3T.png

The four-man assault squad makes its debut! Let's train up Bartre, and turn him into a tank!

aIfizZ4.png

To prevent the soldiers from getting to the archer, I have my zombie cleverly position itself...

X9vpTUt.png

So. Seth has no defense and can take, oh, about four hits from most of the stuff around before dying. He's still useful as a tank, and he can regen all that HP with our elixirs.

HhiGp9W.png

His attack also poisons enemies! Nice!

3R4jTNW.png

The soldiers around have definitely received buffs. They are not pushovers anymore.

ynfqGAF.pngoql0snu.png

While we're at analysis, let's look at Zonta!

Hmm... yup...

Looks like we're forced to rely on a crutch character. Again.

i1e0TdY.png

Orson's brave sword has retained its effect, and using it will be absolutely crucial to our survival.

OIJI8Sb.png

While fighting, I notice a discrepancy... Kyle has 13 attack...

s8ITmfA.png8CnjkXj.png

But he does 9 entire damage against this soldier, when he should only be doing 4!

GtKPZNA.png

And it can't be the Eclipse effect, because he's only hitting this fighter for 4!

WKeSL3d.png

And the fighter has 6 defense! Except for the iron axe, which buffs his...

13wsb1u.png

...resistance! The short bow hits resistance!

So, maybe, just maybe, Kyle will have a way of damaging enemies later on in the game with his bow. Duly noted!

awwHoG5.png

For now, crit and take them out, Kyle!

ffia3ZH.png

Moving up a bit, having 9 MOV totally ruins the carefully planned formations of the enemies. Granted, we could still lure them out one by one in normal FE8...

hqppAOT.png

PERFECT LEVEL!

ZHMSoJa.png

And a key! Beautiful!

HcXIz6z.pngc5mlZnd.png

Storm the place! We need the items!

OIBmRxY.png

First off: Excellent! Our healing is very limited right now.

c98AYBA.png

Second: We literally can't use this.

0WgbHyF.pngrkCs8DQ.png

Cormag keeps helping, and gets a level we'll probably be seeing from him quite often.

OvmAm6I.png

While luring out enemies, I miscalculated and Seth lured one extra. Dangit.

JmGGYp2.png

Let's heal him up this time! I can get extra use out of the Elixir if Seth uses it, since he has so much HP.

8eZf0Lq.png

Sadly, Kyle fails to get another perfect level, but I'm happy to see his speed increase.

H2JJCic.png

I actually give Seth a few kills, and... yup.

You know what? Maybe I should cart him around for a bit. Just as a joke.

1qZaV0t.png

I keep feeding him kills, and Seth tries to hide his awful levels. I should note, however, that he managed to proc his 10% strength.

7Vpa97m.png

And here I thought Flux hit you from the floor. I didn't know you could avoid it by ducking.

JLtPxtZ.pngT3yQnQe.png

Ghost rider fades into the distance, leaving Cormag with nothing but a faint memory and some more DEF points.

0DiVLJC.png

Well... that's the easy half done! Maybe we can get Seth some more kills?

G9BCz5E.png

Hah, wow, what a surprising dodge, Seth's probably used all his luck for the da-

6r84XjJ.png

And then he does the Renevant crit animation. I don't even know how to describe it. He basically opens and closes his mouth a lot, like he's spitting all over the enemy before killing him.

sqzxsbe.png

GLOOBLE GLOOBLE GLOOBLE

MXBG2NP.pngAK4rABI.png

Kyle keeps gettng defense, and I'm suddenly really happy he got that point of RES a while back.

24TyvVY.png

I overestimated Seth's capacity to not get doubled. Silly me, and totally my fault, not even Seth can dodge a 100%.

Qfzrjf7.png

Getting through these two tight corridors is supremely difficult! I have to run in and run out, taking out a few mooks every time.

mIHH7Gr.png

Come on, Kyle! Use those defensive growths!

LdDDxZR.pngZPGUOZ1.png

Kyle suffers at the hands of the RNG. Seth, however, has no such problems and gets revenge for Kyle.

U4fuxyN.png

Even his massive HP doesn't save him from getting sniped. I am very much not being careful with Seth, and his critting powers are useless against archers.

WG450Ii.png

EAT IT, GAME

yPcIttt.pngV89gfPk.png

Nice, Cormag! I bet not even Seth can show that up!

qPWKpwy.png

NOPE. Seth knows how the RNG works. He has become the RNGs master.

NiIiI4U.png

He stares the RNG in the eye, then GLOOBLES ALL OVER IT.

(2 10% strength procs and the 30% def proc...)

CoIyE06.png

One last level while killing more enemies. Kyle really isn't triggering his resistance growth, which I find worrying and odd.

8SImnrQ.pngUzL1S1Q.png

This basically sums up the chances of my normal units against Zonta. What is it with all these utterly depraved statistical snowballs that are these bosses!??

aLeUaaK.pngOXYKK2t.png

Orson actually needs RNG to win this fight, and struggles initially because it didn't favor him.

EwLkvZt.png

Thankfully, Orson wins second try, but still... this boss is a bunch of crap!

tsgjI4o.png

You don't need these, do you Orson? I didn't think so.

EZgXVbW.png

And we are DONE. I am going to be very happy to rejoin our main group of units.

PFvkm4M.png

The centaur charges over rivers! He charges over mountains! He is ULTRA CENTAUR, and the merry zom-skel-thief band is trampled under his might!

3btzwqU.png

NEXT TIME: 9 MOV enemies + Fog + No thieves = Not fun times.

Y'know Moniker, you need to step your game up, everyone else is done, and you aren't even close. But I'm just teasing you, feel free to take your time.

Btw, I did make a minor mistake about Saleh's recruitment. Open this spoiler tag at you own risk.

He doesn't replace himself. He replaces Ewan. He still joins you in chapter 12, though, obviously.

And if you'd like, feel free to read about how good he is.

He looks pretty good. He's got great speed, terrible skill, bad luck, and average everything else. I won't spoil his class though.

Entombed's HP cap is actually 80HP, and Seth can reach 79 easily (since monsters don't get stats when promoting.)

(Cyclops, Maeluin, and Elder Bael have the same HP Cap, if you ever get one of them (no spoils.).

Necromancers, too. So, you can ahve a unit with 60+ HP in noral FE8. Irrelevant here, but still cool.

Draco Zombie has a 100HP Cap, but you can't have any through randomizer, so it doesn't matters.)

​

Whether it makes you uses it or not, it's up to you.

If it can changes your mind,

he gets some fun toys, especially late game.

Entombed's HP cap is actually 80HP, and Seth can reach 79 easily (since monsters don't get stats when promoting.)

(Cyclops, Maeluin, and Elder Bael have the same HP Cap, if you ever get one of them (no spoils.).

Necromancers, too. So, you can ahve a unit with 60+ HP in noral FE8. Irrelevant here, but still cool.

Draco Zombie has a 100HP Cap, but you can't have any through randomizer, so it doesn't matters.)

​

Whether it makes you uses it or not, it's up to you.

Really? Renevants can get 80 HP on the player's team?

...Is this tested?

Guys can you stop spoiling everything for TC?

PLEASE. I think it's been quite enough. No more spoilers, not even in spoilers.

HALB: Episode 8: Chapter 6: Foggy Foggy Fun!

uSoBtkA.png

Oh, yeah, before there was lots of doubt.

j6qHZSb.png

Oh no! Hostages! Blagh!

r92WoJ4.pngGLsBBns.png

Okay, so. Here's the team. I forgot to remove L'arachel even though she's banned, so she ended up coming along with us. Don't worry, I made sure she didn't do anything.

OkdZUFV.png

Joshua will go scout out things.

BDhqKpp.png

We get an Iron Blade, but it isn't particularly useful... or is it?

flqgsGD.pngk0rzyk9.png

Other armor knights aren't like this armor knight. They don't have the power of pink.

3lyG2W2.png

I have Forde attract a hit or two. Mistake. Why did I think he could take hits?

PePSvVn.png

Oh crap! The Iron Blade is super effective against knights!

24pUwsB.png

And now, it's super effective on knights IN OUR FAVOR.

7rnVnLp.png

It depresses me that I've had to let our prepromote get this many levels. But then, Klok did advise us all to do tower grinding, so I'll make up for this.

PNE66b8.png

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHAT

So. Once again, a prime example of how 9 MOV breaks the game. This soldier, who would normally just be one of the back obstacles blocking our way to the hostages, now has enough MOV to waltz right over the mountain and beat the crap out of these poor greenies. No Orion's Bolt or whatever it was for us! I'm pretty sure you CAN'T save these guys anyways.

8vQ2E9d.png

And then all of that was undone because poison. Of course.

Okay, TRYING AGAIN.

wEnkrIc.png

I make it to the next turn this time, and immediately regret living. See, normally, this group comes at you in a staggered manner, making it a matter of survival over time and slow but steady advancement, but here... well, everyone hits at the same time. So, we need to find some way of dealing with this crap.

rJvK9q6.pngopcnj9v.pnghX9Qyno.png

Everyone leaps into contribute!

ro2zalL.png

And yet, I can't take everyone out.

t3f5pKm.png3fO7oRs.png

At first things seem to be going okay. Forde does alright...

hokA6Oe.png

But then that turns out to not be the case.

0e43rj0.png

This leaves us with only one option: Initiate a scatter/retreat with all my forces, and leave one man behind to take care of them. Who is that man?

FcURM9I.png

JOSHUA.

USn8kt2.png

But then, due to the fog, an enemy comes out of nowhere! Turns out the Iron Blade is basically a rapier, and Gilliam is utterly destroyed!

6jlWwZM.png

Okay, new plan! Everyone retreats together, and stays away from the top! We'll handle the cavaliers when the smalla rmy in front of us is dead!

cnq2qgT.png

*shakes fist*

5tabeZl.png

Joshua and the enemies are just sort of dancing around each other, taking and dealing hits where they can. Who will win? The lone, girly pink knight? Or the soldiers, shaman, priest, knights, archers...

aTLxmTK.pngPPPzqSw.png

Making absolutely no effort to help Joshua, I opt to have everyone hang back and handle the cavaliers charging up and-

DiESE83.png

DANGIT

So, I had Ross handle the one cavalier... but it turns out that the one with the Iron Blade was directly behind him, masked by the fog. Yeah.

XlChvrw.png

Joshua continues to get swarmed. He's still alive, and he's not done yet! WILL HE WIN?

hVydCdZ.pngdvqVLpE.png

Girl, I think you have bigger problems than spiders. We are now officially alone on the map.

JyzLpa6.pngkD1pYbn.png

Joshua continues to fight against overwhelming odds! Can he do it?

RduGf19.png

Javelin! Eclipse effect! Go!

Z4GbS4W.png

I don't even know what to say, Forde.

3tbNpWj.png

Right, while Joshua fights off the army, everyone else keeps MISSING this STUPID TROUBADOUR

q3brDGf.png

Beautiful!

NC0J25j.png

Fantastic!

JaNOrP2.png

Great!

vGke5hO.png

Bad!

U4cFBCa.png

Yet another useless enemy crit!

4L8qPhd.png

Oh hey, Joshua killed everyone. Now the rest of my loser army can come out of hiding!

nWJmJMA.png

This might have been useful a bit earlier!

3EE4JK8.png

Natasha's come to avenge the children. Your life is about to get real bad, you war criminal.

EG1dUIH.png

HOLY CRAP WAR CRIMINALS FIGHT HARD

m2GMfP4.pngu8fUcOf.png

Natasha does eventually prevail, and we find Novala, with a Beacon Bow that does nothing to cover his utter failure to have 1-range options. Because of that, we can actually kill this guy with our normal units.

kmpsisJ.png8f6wztu.png

Altogether not bad!

XEqtxEN.pnggnJkoJv.png

Gilliam gets the kill, as well as some much-wanted speed.

hPe0qpU.png

NEXT TIME: Well... what do you remember about this chapter from FE8?

I'm pretty sure only enemies can break the HP cap. But Klok could've changed things so players could do it too, but I kinda doubt that since he couldn't even bother to give monster units promotion gains.

I'm pretty sure only enemies can break the HP cap. But Klok could've changed things so players could do it too, but I kinda doubt that since he couldn't even bother to give monster units promotion gains.

I quickly tested it with Nightmare and it seems I was wrong.

Sorry.

pretty sure that 60 hp cap for blue units has been a bitch to coders for a long time and takes some serious asm hacking to do. the usual go to work around for it is to make the weapon give extra hp and even then you can't make it go past 127? I think before the game screams you are abusing it.

Now to be fair, Klok was messing around with the randomizer to test future concepts and the results gave him the idea to let us play test it. He only tweaked the parts necessary to make it more challenging which was the final bosses and the metis tomes to make it more possible to win with shitty units we get in the draft. Other than that, what the randomizer did to the patch was left untouched so we could give our honest opinions on the concepts. (which reminds me I need to do that)

I remember chapter 7 being a kind of lame filler chapter with a ballista for Neimi to ride and an energy ring for Colm to steal. It's basically there to serve as a prelude to chapter 8.

Just caught up with this. Looks like this is going to be a fun ride filled with schadenfreude, is it not? It already is... have fun with that 0% strength 0% skill lord that you have to use.

I was really proud of my Chapter 7 LP back when I tried a FE8 Randomiized Run, when I told the whole chapter through Murray's POV.

Otherwise, it isn't anything special.

I quickly tested it with Nightmare and it seems I was wrong.

Sorry.

NO! MY HOPES! SHATTERED! MY DREAMS! GROUND TO DUST! NEVER AGAIN WILL I PUT FAITH IN YOU, TAMANOIR!

Just kidding! But still, it's a pity. 80 HP would boost Seth's usability a lot.

I was really proud of my Chapter 7 LP back when I tried a FE8 Randomiized Run, when I told the whole chapter through Murray's POV.

Otherwise, it isn't anything special.

Murray! Wait, was it inspired by an FE7 Chaos Mode LP?

HALB: Episode 9: Chapter 7: The Prelude

fDcu5y9.png

The game builds it up as this big thing, but then it's suddenly a total disappointment. Considering Chapter 8, it might be intentional.

ixFadVF.pngI73qBPa.png

We get 10 units! But it's okay, because I only have 8 usable ones!

kxLDRE8.png

You KNEW I couldn't steal this Energy Ring, Klok. You KNEW. Don't taunt me!

8nTq9oS.pngl1w1KYv.pngm2RDIX0.png

Murray is the second hardest part of this chapter, and lacks a 1-range option. It's kind of sad. However, he does have the Brave Bow which looks sorta useful.

Tjf1jIz.png

The fighter's randomized growths are starting to show, albeit not much.

KRXSoPa.png

I split a small force off to handle the top people, while the main army prepares for bait-and-switch!

vN5llY3.png

This chapter will be great training!

hyjAQXD.png

Man, even Joshua is running into problems! These Thunder mages are the first hardest thing in the chapter, and are not to be taken lightly!

3qcpqfW.pngVRu7NIB.png

Let's renew an old game: "Spot the mistake!"

Did you get it?

That's right! I COULD have used Rescue, but instead opted to throw my crutch character in as a bodyguard!

txBy0Mj.png

3 fightersworth of valuable EXP! MISSED! Dangit!

GEQGT7h.png

Because that first mage we fought kept dodging, everyone is poisoned from Fire. It's horrible.

4Kx7q9f.png

Lute's probably good to lure the mage out.

mPaedak.png

And then I took Thunder mages lightly.

RnnQXNR.png

Fast forwarding a bit, we're now encountered with the third hardest thing in the chapter-that ballistae in a perfect position to shoot at the player, far away from the player.

ocikz0E.png

We run him out of bullets. We probably would have been fine if I just made my non-fliers charge, but whatever.

S7dn2ys.png

Speaking of flyers, Ross gets faster!

H9JFart.pngoy6HPUX.png

Lute and Forde. Two sides. Same coin.

...I think.

Ybqqtp0.png

Joshua! Lure!

0veqYRv.png

Good enough.

A3aZqmi.png

Wow, the boss already? The enemies in this chapter really do stink... anyways, FIGHT!

EjuYvBr.png

Gah! STUPID LONGBOW!

Okay, you know what? Absolutely my mistake. Sorry, everybody.

u7JalHJ.png

Forde avenges Lute, and me somehow dying twice in the easiest chapter ever!

sBt1coC.png

This will probably be useful at some point.

R8wBxJp.pnghL5M6Fi.png

We're done!

NEXT TIME: A less disappointing chapter.

YOU LET LUTE DIE?! WHAT THE HELL MAN!

Actually I reset afterwards without showing it. I won't let anyone die, except maybe stupid Forde, if it was allowed

HALB: Episode 10: Chapter 8: The Worst Trap Ever

EXcTIYx.pnguoHc0A2.png

OHNOTRAPORSONBETRAYRINGSTUFFBRIDGEEXPLODENO

gTsjlxq.png

8 units! Were going in!

QkfU5NP.png

And we begin! We start in a very cramped area, and everyone has 9 MOV, meaning, we have to clear the immediate enemies out fast.

ZLpOq4V.png

We find the new longbow, which doesn't look much different, except for that measly +1 Crit that will probably kill me at some point.

W1RsWaB.pngYQMJLIY.pngEx4VIiZ.png

Tirado is our first promoted boss. He's a berserker, with a strong but non-versatile weapons selection. However, despite his promotion, he's actually weaker than some of the other bosses we've faced!

1RiDoFh.png

But we're still a ways away from him! Gilliam continues to gain lopsided but still useful stats.

D9CWXDe.pngNLO0kd7.png

The still-alive Lute helps to finish a myrm and gets every single one of the less-important stats.

h0U88mX.png

I'd like to say again, Natasha is actually really good! Except for that unfortunate Luck, she has good offenses and defenses!

KACRgyj.pngYsRcx4W.png

This is what the Hammer's 3 uses are for, right?

HPv2qEV.png

Forde seems to have decided to play to his strengths. Probably for the better.

jtkpb2W.png

We've survived Turn 1, and our reinforcements arrive!

AC6Sllr.png

We're actually in pretty good formation here! Now that the bottom half is safe, it's time to begin our assault on the top half.

vb84wtM.png

GLOOBLE GLOOBLE GLOOBLE

ZCHcmLn.png

Drat! These stupid Thunder enemies... I keep forgetting they have Brave powers and then they kill me.

qST2Rwk.pngLTQdGDt.png

LIKE SO. And Seth would have been fine otherwise, too!

9aT6A63.png

Thankfully, Lute is one of the few people who can take it.

pq8zOv3.png

Come on, Seth! DON'T FAIL ME NOW!

0AMazDa.png

Seth fails me! Gah!

...But then, he didn't get critted a lot and die... I'm not giving up on him being "the good luck zombie" yet!

XrfYwy0.png

This mercenary made a very poor career decision, what with swords being how they are.

hcmX0cH.png

The enemy cavaliers show up, and I realize that I maybe should have given Team Left more people.

2B8WPnx.png

Speaking of cavaliers... Gilliam got that 20% skill!

Osp1gjz.png

Also, Joshua gets an okay level, for him at least.

Kt5zHEo.png

Garcia... I don't even know what to say.

SXHooky.png

Okay, Joshua's going to tank out the knights.

z1maXB1.png

Actually, I made a critical error here. Joshua was tough enough to KILL all the knights, not just tank them out!

On the other hand, HOLY CRAP THAT LEVEL!

vqPXYQZ.png

Just LOOK at this garbage. Joshua could probably solo the whole earlygame!

3kqtrTi.png

Lute? Really? AGAIN?

mEyOvto.png

Useful.

QMbOFd5.png

Ugh. After playing Requiem, it's hard to go back to the ridiculously lopsided and/or bad growths of these jokers.

4ZPlbpW.png76lpLEl.png

Okay, Lu- dangit

I forgot about the longbow, and Lute was too big of a piece of crap to make it through. I do reset, but I seriously consider letting her die.

5wc4Ght.png

Seth continues to prove that he's lucky-all he needs to survive is luck, no other stat! Right?

upjCii6.png

Gilliam decides to survive on as little luck as possible, capping strength and proccing that skill again!

svccwSn.png

The thief shows up too little too late. We're almost done!

GyjP4gp.png

Oh come on!

TRyrnF6.png

Blah.

xShx94M.png

What do you think of THIS, you stupid Thunder Mage? Huh? HUH!!?

EPJyN5E.png

YEAH NATASHA! YOU SHOW 'EM! Oh man I'm so glad you were on my team.

i3Bs1CF.pngnUy9SFC.png

Boss time! GO NATASHA!

DnnsJaa.pngV0lqsTm.png

"And now, I will show my own spec-whoops!"

RQyfJRy.pngwIJTmyw.png

From there, with our axereaver iron lances, he's pretty easy to beat.

JGcz4H2.png

Gilliam gets his worst level of the chapter, but that's okay.

HeHay2m.png

Nice!

vSWqvxU.png

This suddenly has me thinking... what if we were to grind up and promote Natasha? Hmmm...

vGsIt67.png7hz8H22.png

Well, it's time to leave!

NEXT TIME: We set ourselves to the Eirika route, and things REALLY start.

Why do you treat Str, Spd, and Def as the most important stats? Str and Spd I get, but why is Def more important than the other 4? I wouldn't say HP, Skl, Lck, and Res are of "lesser importance". HP is actually one of the most important stats IMO, and more important than Def because it increases your survivability both magically and physically. While Skl is generally not too important as most units will generally have plenty enough for good accuracy, Swordmasters and Assassins, who rely on having a good crit rate to make up for poor strength caps and to proc lethality more often, respectively, in addition to anyone who uses inaccurate weapons, want as much of it as they can get. Luck is actually pretty important IMO (at least in the GBA games), because not only does it prevent BS enemy criticals, it also helps you dodge better, and generally for reliable dodge tanking you'll want speed AND luck, as speed alone generally doesn't cut it. Oh, and it helps you hit more too, I guess, but its contribution to hit rate is so miniscule that it's hardly noticeable. Res would be more important if hacks and FE games made you face more magic users. I think ideally a hack should make you face roughly equal amounts of physical and magical units, that way Def and Res are equally important.

Why do you treat Str, Spd, and Def as the most important stats? Str and Spd I get, but why is Def more important than the other 4? I wouldn't say HP, Skl, Lck, and Res are of "lesser importance". HP is actually one of the most important stats IMO, and more important than Def because it increases your survivability both magically and physically. While Skl is generally not too important as most units will generally have plenty enough for good accuracy, Swordmasters and Assassins, who rely on having a good crit rate to make up for poor strength caps and to proc lethality more often, respectively, in addition to anyone who uses inaccurate weapons, want as much of it as they can get. Luck is actually pretty important IMO (at least in the GBA games), because not only does it prevent BS enemy criticals, it also helps you dodge better, and generally for reliable dodge tanking you'll want speed AND luck, as speed alone generally doesn't cut it. Oh, and it helps you hit more too, I guess, but its contribution to hit rate is so miniscule that it's hardly noticeable. Res would be more important if hacks and FE games made you face more magic users. I think ideally a hack should make you face roughly equal amounts of physical and magical units, that way Def and Res are equally important.

Res allow you to avoid Status Stafsf. That's not really that usefull for Eirika's Route, but for Ephraim's, and in FE7, it's amazing (If you ever had a uni berserked in Dragon's Gate, you know what I mean).

Due to Dodge Tanking being so damn broken in GBA Games, Def may be the least usefull stats. Especially when it's the game that have Draco Zombie who only need Speed (Avo and not getting doubled) and HP to Tank. ANd the last chapter is infested by them.

Everyone who used Knoll without a Hoplon Guard knows how great Luck is in ths game.

Res allow you to avoid Status Stafsf. That's not really that usefull for Eirika's Route, but for Ephraim's, and in FE7, it's amazing (If you ever had a uni berserked in Dragon's Gate, you know what I mean).

Due to Dodge Tanking being so damn broken in GBA Games, Def may be the least usefull stats. Especially when it's the game that have Draco Zombie who only need Speed (Avo and not getting doubled) and HP to Tank. ANd the last chapter is infested by them.

Everyone who used Knoll without a Hoplon Guard knows how great Luck is in ths game.

That is true about status staves, but they're rare enough for it to not matter much. Res is a lot more useful in FE4, as even though status stave are still rare, you literally cannot avoid them unless your Res is higher than the enemy's Mag, in which case it will never hit, which makes Seliph, Julia, and Ares some of the best mage tanks, as not only do they have some of the highest Res growths in the game, their holy weapons also boost their Res stat, though Julia and Seliph don't get theirs until late in the game, and Seliph and Ares are a bit hindered by low Res caps. Claude's children also tend to have good Res, but other than that, pretty much everyone in FE4 has shit Res. Honestly neither defense is that great in the GBA games though.

I'd definitely say defense is at its best in the Archanea games, where dodge tanking isn't very viable.

Glad you ask this, the reason why defense is usually desired more because they are viable for choke points or just throwing them into a mob to hold them off while the squishes go do more important stuff. Hp can only do so much especially capped at 60 without special buff weapons and without def/res to back that up, hp tanking can fall to pieces really fast the more dudes/doubling pile on your hp tank. Seth zombie is a great example of this, despite all that hp, he can only take 3 attack phases at the most while Joshua can tank all those knights and still have hp to spare.

Not to mention when it comes to FE, the early game is the most dangerous. Mid and late game, that is more of the player's fault if they fail or RNG screwage but the player can still manage that. Early game is where you are at the mercy of the game designer. You have to hope they gave you all the tools to deal with the chapters until you can reach the point where your dudes are trained or can be trained. A good example of this is FE awakening manic mode, there is a strong reason fredrick's emblem is a valid meme when talking about awakening's manic mode because he is the only one you can rely on to get you through the early game while training chrom/MU to be beasts.

Now res is a great stat to have, but you have to consider the ways to dealing with magic units. You can silence mages, thus rendering them useless. you can use barrier staff to raise your resistance by a whooping 7 points regardless of cap. You can even just buy pure waters for the same effect. Point here is having no res is not as bad as having no def because you can do nothing to buff def like you can res. You don't fear getting doubled when your unit takes 0 damage. You don't freak out about only having 23 hp when the unit takes 0 damage. You don't rig the rng for a dodge when you take 0 damage. You don't clench your buttcheeks against a 30% crit because it only does 0 damage. (except assassin, you only relax when you see their crit is 0 lol). 0 damage is one of the greatest things to ever see on the enemies numbers to wreck your shit.

Dodge tanking is great and all, but it only matters when the enemies hit is, you guessed it, 0. Otherwise there is always the possibility of getting rng screwed and taking a lethal hit is always there can really screw you when you least expected. In other words, it is less reliable than pure tanking with def/res and usually the first thing that gets compromised in hacks/higher difficulties. More challenge will usually mean more accurate hits which means dodge tanking becomes less possible throughout the game. At least without extreme rigging.

To summarize, a really good unit is a unit who is both strong and has really good defense because that is one more reliable tool to deal with more challenging scenarios. It is not a bad thing to have other units who specialize in other forms of tanking damage but their chances of death is more higher than the defense high units.

^Good point, but even a Def capped unit won't take 0 damage against everything, especially when Knights and Generals, the usual Def-tanks, have weapons that are effective against them. And the only other classes I can think of with even close to as good of a Def cap as a General are Wyvern Lords, who have a plethora of weapons effective against them, and Great Knights, who are weak to Amorslaying AND Horseslaying weapons. I suppose Necromancer and Archsage also hae a 30 Def cap, but Lyon and Athos aren't touching that cap without statboosters. Plus if all of my units take 0 damage, how am I supposed to heal grind? Sure, I can hope they proc HP on level ups, but that's not enough.

Also, silencing enemy mages isn't exactly easy or reliable considering they tend to have good Res, and the silence staff only has 3 uses, and tends to be rare.