Who do you think is the best villain in the series?

Who do you think is the best villain in the series?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best villain

• Medeus
    • Duma
    • Rudolf
    • Judah
    • Hardin
    • Arvis
    • Julius
    • Manfroy
    • Raydrik
    • Veld
    • Zephiel
    • Nergal
    • Lyon
    • Fomortis
    • Ashnard
    • Izuka
    • Lekain
    • Sephiran
    • Gangrel
    • Walhart
    • Validar
    • Grima
    • Garon
    • Anankos

Gharnef/BK: Yay, I forgot, hate me plz

Ashera isn't even a villain, she's just royally pissed

She's the final boss though.

Granted, you didn't include 7's final boss either, but seeing as that one's is a generic fire dragon, I don't blame you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted Sephiran, as he becomes a villain for reasons other world domination/destruction or just because "why not we need a villain." Calm and dedicated rather than maniacal.

Lyon is a close second though.

Ashera isn't even a villain, she's just royally pissed

She certainly is a villain, regardless of what her motivations are and/or the reasoning behind them. Heck, I'd say she's far less sympathetic than many others on this list, like Zephiel, Lyon, Sephiran, etc.

I voted for Nergal, because the protagonists' struggle against him is much more personal than any other hero/villain relationship in the series (Eirika/Ephraim vs. Lyon is a pretty close second, though). The game is very much about beating Nergal specifically (although the Black Fang does steal some of his spotlight in the midgame, to be fair), while many other games focus more so on beating the 'evil country/empire', with their leaders (Arvis, Zephiel, Ashnard, etc.) interacting very little with the heroes themselves.

She certainly is a villain, regardless of what her motivations are and/or the reasoning behind them. Heck, I'd say she's far less sympathetic than many others on this list, like Zephiel, Lyon, Sephiran, etc.

Yeah, and what did she do other than do her fricking job

Unless now I have to include Generic Lancer #23568, Generic Berserker #71234 and Generic Myrmidon #33872?

Edited by MagicIsOP

Hardin. My bias for him aside, what makes him great is his process on becoming a villain. Sure he does had some help of the Darksphere offered to him by Gharnef but the other reason was quite human. He was in love with Nyna, yet she still had feelings for Camus and so he became depressed from this unrequited love. He became a villain not just because of the Darksphere, but also because of this weakness which reminds that he is human and humans have flaws. It's even better when you consider that his state left him vulnerable for any sort of influence (Darksphere) and as such becoming the evil emperor. Add to his dapper design, awesome chapter, intimidating presence (lampshaded even further by FE12 and his quite visible red eyes of DEATH) and his climatic battle and you got my favorite villain in FE

Runner-ups: Arvis, Lyon, Zephiel.

Edited by SSL01

• 2 weeks later...

Ashnard. Lets go over all the ways Ashnard kicks ass:

1. He manages to be completely evil but believable at the same time. While being unambiguously evil, he has actual motivations and ideas that he wants implemented: creating a Social Darwinistic world order. The game showing you the worst that can happen when merit isn't appreciated in the form of Begnion also serves to make the player think that maybe he has a point.

2. Ashnard is by far the physically strongest human character in the series. This does lead to a problem, though, which is that we never get to see him fight before the final battle; that's a problem with the game, though, not Ashnard.

3. He's no one's bitch. Ashnard isn't being manipulated by some evil wizard, he doesn't want to worship some Dark God, and, above all, he hasn't been possessed by a slime monster. It's just him; human greed and human evil alone leads to war. I personally think that that's the best element of POR's story, and it doesn't get talked about nearly enough. If anything, Ashnard makes Yune his bitch, because his ultimate plan is to cause a battle so great it would lead to the destruction of civilization, and a return to survival of the fittest. The Gods are nothing more than weapons Ashnard uses to accomplish his goals, and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is fucking badass.

If anything Chagall is a minor villain, Eldigan is just a tragic antagonist fool who decides to let Chagall kill him off.

Where is the option for Batta the Beast?

Batta the Beast? More like Batta the Least! He's nothing compared to Glass. The gods fear his name; his swordplay is peerless! Plus, he has a weapon triangle advantage over Batta. GLASS FOR GREATEST VILLAIN!

Alas, we're discussing major villains? Sigh...

I chose Sephiran for this one. His villainy is much more about building a plan and manipulating others - Lekain, Zelgius, even Sanaki. Even though Ashera is the final boss, he is the principal catalyst for the events of both the Tellius games - and he's able to pull it off with a sincere and calm smile. In the end, he realizes his mistake, and chooses to aid the heroes for one last battle. Honestly, Arvis is very similar, for which I esteem him highly as well. I just hate how he rubs his kidnapping of Dierdre in Sigurd's face, when that did nothing for his agenda. ...Although arguably that makes him a better villain, but whatever.

While I feel like Lyon is a really good character, I'm just somewhat irked by the whole "possessed by an evil spirit" explanation for villainy. Which they also do with Hardin, Julius, and Garon. I just don't think of him much as a villain, because his villainous actions are really just the work of the Demon King, not from his own will. Compare to Nergal, who also turns down a path of darkness... but it's still him turning evil, not becoming possessed by some evil spirit. I really like Nergal for his design and backstory, although I'll admit his motivations are kind of iffy.

in terms of actual writing I don't know but Lehran is pretty much the only one who isn't a complete idiot

Yee.

Sephiran has been turning wheels since the Serenes Massacre. Hes actually pretty calm about doing all of it, and i have a soft spot for puppet master type villains.

3. He's no one's bitch. Ashnard isn't being manipulated by some evil wizard, he doesn't want to worship some Dark God, and, above all, he hasn't been possessed by a slime monster. It's just him; human greed and human evil alone leads to war. I personally think that that's the best element of POR's story, and it doesn't get talked about nearly enough. If anything, Ashnard makes Yune his bitch, because his ultimate plan is to cause a battle so great it would lead to the destruction of civilization, and a return to survival of the fittest. The Gods are nothing more than weapons Ashnard uses to accomplish his goals, and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is fucking badass.

Isn't this bit completely retconned in RD tho when it explains all of the things Sephrian did to release the Goddesses?

Voted Alvis but I have a lot of love for my man Lehran.

2. Ashnard is by far the physically strongest human character in the series. This does lead to a problem, though, which is that we never get to see him fight before the final battle; that's a problem with the game, though, not Ashnard.

Do you have some kind of source for this? Because the way everyone raves about prime!Greil in universe would definitely suggest he's the best there ever was. And then the Black Knight says Ike is better. Not to mention Ike, Nasir/Ena and a Laguz Royal manage to beat Ashnard who also had the assistance of a Black Dragon (who also get a massive tonne of hype in universe), feral but I'm sure still very useful in combat.

Edited by Jotari

Do you have some kind of source for this? Because the way everyone raves about prime!Greil in universe would definitely suggest he's the best there ever was. And then the Black Knight says Ike is better. Not to mention Ike, Nasir/Ena and a Laguz Royal manage to beat Ashnard who also had the assistance of a Black Dragon (who also get a massive tonne of hype in universe), feral but I'm sure still very useful in combat.

Lore wise Ashnard probably isn't the strongest human. In RD its implied that Ike was the one who defeated Ashnard in Path of Radiance. In RD its also revealed that the Black knight allowed Ike to defeat him to ensure he would one day be a strong enough opponent to defeat him in a real fight. So if Ike defeated Ashnard at a time he wasn't able to defeat the Black Knight it would imply both Ike and BK were stronger then he was.

I also have the feeling that Ike is weaker then the Laguz royals for a large part of RD so they could probably beat him as well.

My issue with Lyon is that his presence is very absent for a massive majority of the game. The twins randomly flash back to him when they were kids every now and then but as a villain he only shows up in like the last six chapters and spends almost the entire time running away and looking very sick. The writing's still good and they do amp up the tragedy, we even get two characterasations but as far as antagonists go, someone fighting against the protagonists and wanting their destruction, I just don't feel it with Lyon. Good character perhaps but not a good villian. If I was to blame anything it'd be Sacred Stone's relatively short plot compared to the other games. He needed a few more chapters to breath as a villian.

Now Caellach, that's someone I was really feeling as a villain. Cool, casual and dangerous. The kind of guy that'd murder you in a second but you could also have a good drink with. And in terms of achievement he was totally pulling more weight than every other villain in the game.

In terms of storyline Alvis is probably my favorite because he has the most depth. He starts as the shrewd advisor to the king, who, while aware of the deception of Leptor and Langobalt, keeps working with them in order to further his own means. He uses everyone as his pawns in order to achieve his goals, all the while trying to purify himself of his Loptyr blood. In the second generation he's a shell of his former self but he still exerts his influence where he can, for instance when he releases the children from Miletos and getting the Tyrfing to Seliph. Even with all of this he still shows compassion for his daughter and late wife, even after realizing she was his half-sister.

I'm talking about in terms of stats. He has the highest stats of any human character in the series.

I'm talking about in terms of stats. He has the highest stats of any human character in the series.

Black Knight in Radiant Dawn matches or beats Ashnard in every stat except resistance where he trails behind by 1 point. Even after going Berserk Ashnard is still slightly slower and only really wins in strength, magic and HP. Of course the mere fact that it's a three tier system and different games have different damage metrics means comparing stats is a pretty pointless job to begin with. Rudolf is probably one of the most dangerous units in the entire series (from what I hear) and his strength is only 27.

Black Knight in Radiant Dawn matches or beats Ashnard in every stat except resistance where he trails behind by 1 point. Even after going Berserk Ashnard is still slightly slower and only really wins in strength, magic and HP. Of course the mere fact that it's a three tier system and different games have different damage metrics means comparing stats is a pretty pointless job to begin with. Rudolf is probably one of the most dangerous units in the entire series (from what I hear) and his strength is only 27.

Wait, seriously? I was mostly about hp, but why the fuck does the FINAL BOSS not have the highest stats?