How you’re still completely missing the point of Azama’s character (and why, yes, he is smarter than you):

gnubz

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sf isn't a very good place for discussions typically, you're right, but you still haven't even tried to convince me that your argument is anything but what i reduced it to, dude. the blame might not lie with "literally everyone else" in this case.

EDIT: if all you really want is a philosophy debate, go make a philosophy debate topic. trying to impose it on a video game character, insisting he's the one well written side character in a terribly written video game, just makes you look really bad.

Yeah, I didn't expand or defend further because you basically have it right: Azama's a dick, but it may actually be for "X" more serious reason that you might not have caught, and maybe it could change your mind about him. In the end you still dislike him, which is perfectly fine too. I have no problem that you disagree, just with the unnecessary snark.

But I'm learning that this isn't the tone of SF, and if I want to do something like this again, I'll take it to a different site. I will apologize for the shit title, but not for the post itself. Just because it's a game I don't think it's unreasonable to analyze. Someone on the localization may have taken special interest in Azama. The wording is too good of a coincidence.

Edited by gnubz

no, op, i am sorry, an anime character in a poorly written game is not smarter than me

This.

And honestly, his character (and the OP here) seems to be trying to justify the silly attitudes of fedora wearing morons the world over. Sorry, not working. Integ's right, probably best to go to reddit with this garbage, mate.

Yeah, I didn't expand or defend further because you basically have it right: Azama's a dick, but it may actually be for "X" more serious reason that you might not have caught, and maybe it could change your mind about him. In the end you still dislike him, which is perfectly fine too. I have no problem that you disagree, just with the unnecessary snark.

But I'm learning that this isn't the tone of SF, and if I want to do something like this again, I'll take it to a different site. I will apologize for the shit title, but not for the post itself. Just because it's a game I don't think it's unreasonable to analyze. Someone on the localization may have taken special interest in Azama. The wording is too good of a coincidence.

I think the title is most likely the reason this thread failed, you probably would've had more success in starting a proper debate if not for coming across as so snarky with that title. (unless you were trying to pretend that azama actually came up with that title)

there are plenty of serious discussions in this part of the forum. (won't be every thread, but certainly not devoid of it)

Edited by darkestdarkness

I think the title is most likely the reason this thread failed, you probably would've had more success in starting a proper debate if not for coming across as so snarky with that title. (unless you were trying to pretend that azama actually came up with that title)

there are plenty of serious discussions in this part of the forum.

Ehh i think the thread would have failed either way. Trying to make Azama to be more than he is (a silly anime character trying to be "hip") is pretty fruitless. Theres also the blatant disregard for everyone else's opinion. People have very good reasons for disliking him. People dislike other characters better written than Azama, and yet theres no reason to attack them for it. Azama is not a true absurdist anyway. The argument is bunk before it began.

Ehh i think the thread would have failed either way. Trying to make Azama to be more than he is (a silly anime character trying to be "hip") is pretty fruitless. Theres also the blatant disregard for everyone else's opinion. People have very good reasons for disliking him. People dislike other characters better written than Azama, and yet theres no reason to attack them for it. Azama is not a true absurdist anyway. The argument is bunk before it began.

I'm pretty sure I said that Azama would be right at home in a fedora.

We get a glimpse of his past in Arthur's supports with him. . .and it doesn't really redeem him or his attitude. Being a second son sucks (especially if we take Hoshido as Japanese culture), but it doesn't justify shooting your mouth off to everyone.

Oh, and TC, don't be condescending in the title. If you really want to show off your stuff, save it for the opening post.

We get a glimpse of his past in Arthur's supports with him. . .and it doesn't really redeem him or his attitude. Being a second son sucks (especially if we take Hoshido as Japanese culture), but it doesn't justify shooting your mouth off to everyone.

Oh, and TC, don't be condescending in the title. If you really want to show off your stuff, save it for the opening post.

And now I can't help but see his supports with Kagero and Sakura as negging. All he needs to do now is say 'nice guys finish last' or greet a female character with 'milady' and he'll be the perfect neckbeard.

I believe i recall an instance where you did say this a little while ago lmao

And now I can't help but see his supports with Kagero and Sakura as negging. All he needs to do now is say 'nice guys finish last' or greet a female character with 'milady' and he'll be the perfect neckbeard.

Someone (i forget who but it was like a reviewer) actually called what Azama was saying to Hinoka about her hair as negging. Hes just ugh...

I love Azama dude, he's my favorite character in all of Fire Emblem, he's hilarious and witty and I love it. All his supports are pretty amazing too, which isn't surprising since he's such a great character. The game designers did such a good job with Azama's character. Not to mention the fact that he's a kickass unit as well. He's so good as a Great Master, it's unbelievable, he just tanks hits and kills everything. He's just amazing, by far the best character in any Fire Emblem game.

I agree that mostly he's written as a joke/troll character, but it's still interesting to (try to) talk about these minor characters in depth. (unless you've written him off after seeing few of his support convos, for which I honestly can't blame anyone for in this case)

I love Azama dude, he's my favorite character in all of Fire Emblem, he's hilarious and witty and I love it. All his supports are pretty amazing too, which isn't surprising since he's such a great character. The game designers did such a good job with Azama's character. Not to mention the fact that he's a kickass unit as well. He's so good as a Great Master, it's unbelievable, he just tanks hits and kills everything. He's just amazing, by far the best character in any Fire Emblem game.

I reclassed him to dread fighter immediately in his join chapter and he wrecked enemies left and right all the way through to the endgame.

Edited by darkestdarkness

You think your "tone" as you call it will be more successful elsewhere? You ignored one of the very first things you learn when studying rhetoric: don't insult the listener/reader when trying to make a persuasive argument. You had everyone against you from the start, and you seem to think that we, as if people on other websites would be any different, just don't get it.

People here are used to analyzing video games; if you just took a minute or two to look around, you'd see that there are quite a number of threads discussing the story and the characters. The reason for why they're more civil, even if people disagree, is because no one acts like a pretentious brat.

Edited by Thane

Yeah, OP, you did an interesting analysis, but, as much as I wish that this game were cleverly written, I just don't think that much thought was put in to the characters (except Leo). There were almost 70 other characters for the writers to develop. xD

no, op, i am sorry, an anime character in a poorly written game is not smarter than me

so since i actually read the op you're basically just saying "yeah he's a dick, but he's actually a dick for no reason and that's why he's a well-written character"?

These comments made me laugh out loud. I was thinking the same thing.

Edited by Leif

this is tangentially related to op but

why exactly does everyone even hate Azama

he's actually one of my favorite characters alongside orochi just because he's supremely entertaining just like she is

sure he's rude to people but he's also a fictional character in a game where supports boil down to wacky hijinx. the entertaining characters already have a leg up on everyone else

it's not like he never apologizes, and he certainly isn't a neckbeard or whatever that doesn't even make sense

also he's an actually good physical priest which after libra makes me really happy so bias points there. i could also write an essay defending setsuna because the hate she gets is also a little over the top

I actually don't get the whole neckbeard fedora thing with regards to Azama. He exercises in his supports with Subaki and Mitama and he bathes himself like every other character.

Jokes aside, interesting perspective with regards to Azama and absurdity. I also thought about this before, but it ultimately just seems to be speculation since the writers probably didn't put much thought into the characters. Maybe the guy who wrote Azama paid attention in Absurd Literature class in College?

I'm taking this class right now so that's probably why I like him.

guys the TC apologized for the tone the title implies, I feel that we're beating a dead horse at this point.

#Justmy2¢s

EDIT: This is in response to the guys on page 1, those above me are chill.

Edited by Jakkun

this is tangentially related to op but

he's actually one of my favorite characters alongside orochi just because he's supremely entertaining just like she is

sure he's rude to people but he's also a fictional character in a game where supports boil down to wacky hijinx. the entertaining characters already have a leg up on everyone else

it's not like he never apologizes, and he certainly isn't a neckbeard or whatever that doesn't even make sense

also he's an actually good physical priest which after libra makes me really happy so bias points there. i could also write an essay defending setsuna because the hate she gets is also a little over the top

Well, I think it comes down to how you interpret the characters.

I choose to always try to see the good side of the heroes in video games, so I naturally found humor in him, and maybe I learned a thing or two from him.

But some people are more realistic in their reactions. I think if I met Azama in real life, I'd think of him as one of those dirtbag hipsters who think they're more "enlightened" than others by taking an "absurdist" approach in life. On a philosophical level, I might say I'm also absurdist, but I don't feel the need to be snarky with everyone I encounter.

Many people instinctively reel against a character who insults their intelligence. It's different strokes for different folks, I say.

Also, I haven't been chatting with Fates fans for too long, but Setsuna's well hated? I can understand the hate for a character like Azama or Soliel, but where does the hate for Setsuna come from?

hate might be a bit much, but people dislike her personality and the fact that she got an image in the DLC

I'm really happy that Subaki and her got an image but I adore the Hoshidan characters and tend to dislike the Nohrian ones so *shrug*

He's harassing in several of his supports; yes, he's a fictional character, but his conversations are a little too reminiscent of jerks I've encountered in real life, and it's hard to lay that aside. Additionally his 'surprise' proposals (to Corrin, Hinoka and Sakura) are pretty awful.

Also, I haven't been chatting with Fates fans for too long, but Setsuna's well hated? I can understand the hate for a character like Azama or Soliel, but where does the hate for Setsuna come from?

I don't hate Setsuna, but I am definitely indifferent towards her. Too much of a one-note character for my liking. So many of her supports revolve around her falling into traps. I like her character design, though.