This was something I realised after seeing the plot point show up a few times, but...

How, exactly, did Naesala's attack on Phoenicis count as a 'genocide'?

The narrative states that the elderly, women and children were spared, and considering Phoenicis's army was currently mobilised, that doesn't leave a lot of people to kill back at Phoenicis. The only fighting-age males one would expect would be scholars, tacticians, and other thinking-type people, seeing as the laguz are, by nature, more prepared for battle than other races. And this plot point- that laguz are not thinkers- suggests that the number of such laguz would be very low. There's nothing to farm on Phoenicis, there's no evidence that manpower is needed for anything other than fighting in Phoenicis, and considering the army was just going up on Begnion...

How does Naesala's attack count as anything more than a serial homicide, a massacre at worst?

Careful, denying a genocide may get you warning points

It isn't a genocide by any accepted definition. It might not even be a modern war crime. What I'm puzzled about is why the women were spared at all if they're allowed to fight just fine in the FEverse?

Careful, denying a genocide may get you warning points

It isn't a genocide by any accepted definition. It might not even be a modern war crime. What I'm puzzled about is why the women were spared at all if they're allowed to fight just fine in the FEverse?

Well, probably because the attitude towards the sexes is very similar as in the real world. Such double standards are never expressed blatantly outside the MiaxLargo supports but they are there.

Tauroneo joins Ike after he tells him that his only living relative is his sister and Tauroneo doesn't want Ike's sword skills to be lost. So the fact that Mist is a girl made him automatically assume that she wouldn't have learned his sword skills. In his support with Lethe, Muarim asks her if it's common for females to be a commander in Gallia, which seems like an odd thing to ask unless that's how things generally work in Begnion. Speaking of Begnion, I find it hard to imagine that it's a mere coincidence that all senators we ever meet are male.

Of course Ike wouldn't give women a hard time or patronize them because it's a character trait of his that he is open-minded and willing to accept people for how they are. And he is the viewpoint character for most of the games.

Edited by BrightBow