The Static Sprites of a Fool

Yoshthethird

I crave attention and validation. Welcome to the alter of my obsession.

Stills (yet to be animated or sheeted)

Spoiler

quOkWpE.jpg

9ZYqhjd.png

52x0Hrx.png

bsFFp9Q.png

7pmXOgi.png

aOzOej3.pngv4UxOWL.png

xseaetG.png

SddjiYk.png

Mugs (not my bread and butter)

Spoiler

vY38hL1.png

GIF animations (I love this stuff)

Spoiler

"Mercenary"

1mJRtW5.gif

WOOW8uR.gif

"Myrmidon"

MhIFQMq.gif

4IwjPAV.gif

"Mage"

dJme2Y2.gif

VFYXTBO.gif

"Cleric"

r4YtC79.gif

"Ballistician"

5XaU6pk.gif

"Hero"

rv2I11B.gif

MIHHcoa.gif

"Swordmaster"

mrhtaZf.gif

LQqGx4a.gif

"Soldier"

1xQRz5Z.gif

2wCqePJ.gif

Thanks for... Looking I guess.

Edited by Yoshthethird

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, YoshTheThird those are nice sprites.

I'd say 10/10 to the WarMonk and nice customisation of actual sprites!

As for the portrait some of them looks... unnatural.

But heh, that's not a bad thing.

Now remember that this is just the opinion of a "fool".

Have a nice day and keep up your work.

Wow those battlers are flat out amazing! Incredible work there. I especially like the Hero and Sage remakes.

The mugs aren't bad by any means but some of them do still look a little off. Overall though, I see a lot of good customing in them. Favorite is bottom left.

Nicely done, I look forward to seeing more!

The battle sprites are JPEG format, that basically means they're dead. :/

Some battle sprites, saved as a jpeg because I am madly paranoid of these being stolen

Hey, maybe read the commentary?

Sprites are great. I do kind of wish they weren't JPG'd so I could see them better, but I understand the theft paranoia.

Mugs are pretty original-looking, and I appreciate that, though there are a few issues in regard to custom shading. You tend to bear kind of heavily on outlines, so stuff looks a little embossed/banded and chunky.

Ah thank you. Sorry about the jpeg-ing yes, these sprites are my pride and joy and I'm just super paranoid. But yes thank you for the specific commentary on my mugs, I will consider revising my shading.

And yes the Valkyrie is my favorite~

I remember seeing your deviant art account few months back. Nice to see you on here.

As others have said, some fun Battle Sprites for sure. Some good clean designs. Some of the proportions look maybe slightly off though?

Of the mugs, your personal one is my favorite. Some of the others either could use some proportional work on the faces, or a bit more revisioning/splicing to look less like the base, like the Dieck/Deke face needs a bit more to differentiate it from the original.

Anyways, very nice stuff. Hope to see more. :)

• 5 months later...

Even if my battle sprites look good, I unfortunately have no talent for animating them. Though I mean, I hope to learn how to do it someday. I have this madly ambitious goal to redo nearly EVERY gba class animation that exists haha. A lofty goal, yet still one I wish to reach. I have my attention constantly split over my Pokemon fangame, and my Fire Emblem fangame. The Pokemon one just happens to be more doable at the moment, ROM hacking FE is still quite difficult for me. One day.

• 5 months later...

Finally got some of these done so I can show them off!

Welcome to my showcase of class animations revamped as I see fit! First, part A of what I like to call...

Project Gladiator
Part A has my redone "Mercenary" sprite, inspired by Fates and Awakening.

If Mercenaries have higher DEF than Myrmidons, it should be evident.  My "Mercenary" is wearing a thick gambeson and is outfitted with a forearm shield adapted from Awakening/Fates' weird upper-arm shield (which were only really worn by jousters?).  The shield is just leather, I wanted it to have customizable colors but I ended up one color short for what I wanted the palette to be, oh well.

I always thought the mercenary class' normal animation was too flashy, so I simplified it.

OeCLtty.gif

The fancy somersault was made into the "Mercenary"'s critical hit.  (The sword-throwing critical is reserved for part B, the "Hero")

vyc8Vad.gif

Lastly, I just wanted to display a the sprite in several example palettes.  Caesar, Ogier, Raven, Gerik, and Laslow.

YjJN4Qy.png

That's all for now, I plan to post extra animations and maybe different versions for the "Mercenary", and will eventually move on to Project Gladiator's part B: the "Hero"

Pretty cool stuff, but the normal animation is a bit janky, the merc just pops from standing to attack, no prep or anticipation or whatever it's called, maybe add a few frames of him squatting down and adding a small jump in between might help.

As for the crit, you could put a few more frames into the taunting part or maybe put a blur in to make it fancy looking.

I'm not much of an animator so take my advice with a grain of salt :B

I second BlazeKing's point  about the normal attack. The animation could use a transition in between iddle stance and attack stance.

Overall, that's some really sweet stuff. Good job!

I thank you for the criticism! I have made some alterations to the normal attack.  There are like two versions of it though.

The first version I tried to add more a crouch before the slash:

uBGqMlo.gif

This other one I accidentally pasted in the wrong frame, but looks kinda cool? It makes the animation look more dynamic, but I also don't think it makes sense?

eMnLANp.gif

Which one looks better?

looks to me like the problem with the animation is mostly just that is doesn't have any real oomph to it, so to speak. In the middle of the og animation when the merc jumps up and flips and shit, it really drives home the power in the strike when it finally lands.

not sure how much you want to devote time to this, but try having the sword tilt back a few frames in the opposite direction of the strike before it goes forward. see if that does anything

...wow i havent posted here in years

xlHCHsq.gif
Not sure if this helps much, but here's something I made but never finished, maybe it can give you an idea as to how to add oomph into the hit?

Also I think what merc lord meant was that it lacks impact, looks like he just lightly taps the enemy with his sword

I guess I see what y'all are saying... I'll see what I can do.  I kinda used Lyn's beta Durandal animation as inspiration, as well as the Shadow Dragon merc animation.  I'll look at those again, but I can see and channel if those animations have more oomph.

Hm, that crouching animation combine with a quick powerful straitghforward stab would look sick in my opinion.

While the high huard is a really nice touch, it feels kind of awkward.

So my favourite would be the first one. Anyway, keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks real nice, but if there's one thing I'd change, it's the blur, maybe make it extend further and make it connect to the sword while also adding an extra frame of the sword being partially blurred before the hit, the return still looks a tad janky, can't put my finger on exactly why though :/

Hey this may be a dumb question, but does anyone know HOW people make custom animations that just look like reskins of already existing animations? Like I've seen a few animations that were based of like, Hector's animation.  I have no clue how people do that.  It would make a few of my projects a little easier.