The Static Sprites of a Fool

Yoshthethird

Well in that case you can find the sheets online but a another way is download feditor adv and opening a rom, then dumping the frames.

Edit: Whoops err... sorry for the late reply

Edited by Blue Druid

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well dang howdy, these sprites look fantastic! I could use these for a DnD campaign im running where all the tokens are GBA Battle Sprites. Do you still have these as an origional PNG? I have no way to credit you, but it would be much appreciated if you could! Very nice work regardless!

On 4/12/2017 at 5:19 AM, Blue Druid said:

Well in that case you can find the sheets online but a another way is download feditor adv and opening a rom, then dumping the frames.

Edit: Whoops err... sorry for the late reply

Oh I know the sheets are everywhere, I just mean how like some of those animations are literally Hector's with a different skin.  If dumping the frames can give me some guidelines, that'd be great.  Some of my class sprite projects are moreso gonna be different skins over existing animations, prolly my Valkyrie for example.

And no don't be sorry it's fine haha.

On 4/12/2017 at 9:13 AM, DrMagicson said:

Well dang howdy, these sprites look fantastic! I could use these for a DnD campaign im running where all the tokens are GBA Battle Sprites. Do you still have these as an origional PNG? I have no way to credit you, but it would be much appreciated if you could! Very nice work regardless!

No offense man but I'd rather not, especially on a project  know nothing about.  These sprites are pretty important to me and I'll really only be comfortable with people using them when they're full fledged animations, which is gonna be WAAAAAAyyy far away into the future.  Sorry.

So I was taking to long to make the "Hero" animation and it's hard and I got bored so I ended up making and finishing the "Mage" animation instead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BHOmpU7.gif

Does anything look off about it?

Edited by Yoshthethird

• 3 weeks later...

Don't you feel like the movement isn't natural?

Lifting up the leg is a nice idea but it feels like it is actually lacking a animation.

The thing with video games or any type of media at all is that things need to grab someone's eye and be entertaining. These animations lack any real interesting movements so they aren't eye catching. Frankly, they're boring. I get that you think the original animations are too much, but that's what makes them nice to look at.

Another issue with your animating is that it moves too fast. You need periods of slow movement and fast to keep it interesting. If you look at the Hector animation, it's really slow until he starts descending from the air. This adds the 'oomph' that others were talking about. Your mercenary animation simply lacks enough dramatic movement and moves much too quickly for it to really catch the eye.

Now THIS is critique! I appreciate it very much! But yes, I see what you're saying.  The GBA's capabilities and small sprites made the animations more or less bend reality.  It was a flashy and eyecatching like you were saying! What I'm making is more like... Awakening or Path of Radiance-esque animations, 'realistic" and plain are words to describe them I guess.  

But yeah... there isn't anything like that in my sprites... what AM I trying to do? But yeah, I just don't like how over the top the GBA animations are...  I guess it's like, I can't find a medium without my sprites being comparatively boring?  I mean I think Radiant Dawn kinda found a balance.  Almost.  Dynamic camera angles and like actual mobility of the fighting parties is what made RD battle animations look cool.  But mine are like... colorful versions or Shadow Dragon animations? Hm.

I don't want anyone to think I'm "defending" myself or anything.  This isn't an attack, it's constructive criticism, and I'm glad I'm getting some.  Overall... I'm not sure what I want...  I mean, I like my animations the way they are... for now at least.  I mean I'm planning more wild and dynamic animations for my promoted units, but that's still gonna take a while hmhm.

Also yeah, when it comes to speed I have no clue what looks good haha.  That's just me being a novice with animating in general.  I should work on that for sure.  You saying is making me think about what I could change just speed-wise in my merc animation right now! Hmhm.

Well, you don't necessarily need flashy movements to make something look interesting, they just enhance the experience a lot. I think if you adjust the speed and timing of your animations, they'll achieve that dramatic effect. One thing to look into is adding frames before and after blurs.

Imagine a clock, where the hour hand is at 12. It will go from there to 9. Right now your animations are jumping straight from 12 to 9. If you want your animations to have a little more appeal, you should have the hour hand hit 1, 2, 3, jump to 7, 8, then finally hit 9. If you look at Armads Hector, after he spins his axe above his head, you can see there are a few frames where he begins to lower his axe before the blur occurs. That's the idea. The best thing to do when practicing this is to look at sprite animations and study them. Grab their sheets and look at those if you can.

Also, your animations flow very well, there's very little bad placement and choppy movements, so for a beginner, I'd say you're doing very well.

Overall, you'll need more frames. Be careful of adding too many frames, however, because then your animation will seem like it's moving in slow motion.

Edited by Lord of Gabriel Knight

18 hours ago, Lord of Gabriel Knight said:

Well, you don't necessarily need flashy movements to make something look interesting, they just enhance the experience a lot. I think if you adjust the speed and timing of your animations, they'll achieve that dramatic effect. One thing to look into is adding frames before and after blurs.

Imagine a clock, where the hour hand is at 12. It will go from there to 9. Right now your animations are jumping straight from 12 to 9. If you want your animations to have a little more appeal, you should have the hour hand hit 1, 2, 3, jump to 7, 8, then finally hit 9. If you look at Armads Hector, after he spins his axe above his head, you can see there are a few frames where he begins to lower his axe before the blur occurs. That's the idea. The best thing to do when practicing this is to look at sprite animations and study them. Grab their sheets and look at those if you can.

Also, your animations flow very well, there's very little bad placement and choppy movements, so for a beginner, I'd say you're doing very well.

Overall, you'll need more frames. Be careful of adding too many frames, however, because then your animation will seem like it's moving in slow motion.

Thank you for the advice! I really need to work on speed and more frames hmhm.  I'll see what I can adjust with them now.  

18 hours ago, deranger said:

The spot the planted foot is planted on should not move around (no plant foot sliding). I think some of your animations seem to have this problem. 

And yeah damn I see that now.  I can fix that.  Thank you for pointing it out!

I think you should just keep the stage left foot in the same place for the whole animation (think of his right toe being planted the whole time). There's still a little bit of an unexpected shuffle at the end because he moves his right, then left foot in two different stages in the casting, but returns both of them at once on the return. If you have it b he left foot that moves both times, only that foot is in motion on the return. Might be worth a try. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've tweaked the frames and timing for the merc but I'm still trying to think of something more visually interesting for it.

1mJRtW5.gif

Also I've finished my first draft for my myrmidon animation.  Thoughts?

iIVKnqM.gif

Plus a palette test

5UiRq12.png

Navarre, Radd, Athena, Joshua, Zihark, Mia, Edward, Lon'qu, and Owain.

The Mercenary looks more convincing. I don't know what you can add to it though. You may experiment with spinning moves or stuff like this.

I like the Myrmidon, it's simple and straigth to the point. Shouldn't the sword stay straight when hitting the ennemy?

Have a nice day and keep up the good work!

The attack animation before the hit is stellar, love em, but the return is very wonky, for the Myrm at least, I think the problem is either the gif's timing or the animation itself lacking a few frames, and maybe edit the backflip a bit since in the backflip the myrm's hair magically becomes longer

13 hours ago, Ycine said:

The Mercenary looks more convincing. I don't know what you can add to it though. You may experiment with spinning moves or stuff like this.

I like the Myrmidon, it's simple and straigth to the point. Shouldn't the sword stay straight when hitting the ennemy?

Have a nice day and keep up the good work!

I mean I think it's fine for the sword not to be completely straight on the stab, idrk though.  And thank you!

10 hours ago, BlazeKing said:

The attack animation before the hit is stellar, love em, but the return is very wonky, for the Myrm at least, I think the problem is either the gif's timing or the animation itself lacking a few frames, and maybe edit the backflip a bit since in the backflip the myrm's hair magically becomes longer

I know the return is very... not what I wanted it to be.  Returns are pretty hard for me, but I thought it would be cool to use the vanilla myrmidon's critical back flip.  I really need to figure out what I need to tweak with it, or just scrap it entirely and make one myself.  I don't want to make the longer hair skin of the sprite before I can perfect this animation.  And haha yeah, I could trim the hair down a little more.

Looks slightly better but still kinda choppy, what I'd do is probably add a few blurs in between the return backflip to sorta smoothen it a bit, or even adding 1 or 2 frames of minor movement in between them