Fates Power Levels and Tiers According to Story/Lore (Spoilers Obviously)

I was really bored and didn't feel like studying for my finals, so I decided to make a thread dedicated to implied power levels and tiers for characters in Fates based on feats, story events, support conversations, and other lore. PLEASE NOTE that actual ingame abilities or gameplay tiers should matter very little here--we are looking at how powerful these characters are in the context of how they are written and how strong they are implied to be.

A really good example of this would be Charlotte a character that has piss-poor defenses numerically in game, but one that is widely hailed to be one of Nohr's best individual soldiers and a product of prodigious strength meeting hard work. I also placed Sakura higher than Elise because she is shown distracting Iago in one of the later Birthright chapters by attacking him, which bumps her a combat tier above Elise, imo.

If you want to make a case for any other characters going higher or lower, feel free to post your reasons, but stay respectful and polite. This is a very rough draft and something that I decided to put up for fun. Also feel free to add characters I may have forgotten. Most notably, I have not added children to these tiers yet.

S++ Rank: Strength of a God

Anankos

Corrin with Omega Yato.

S+ Rank: Close to Invincible

Takumi (Final Possessed)

Garon (Dragon Form)

Corrin with Blazing/Shadow Yato

S Rank: Powerful enough to wipe out entire countries on their own.

Garon (Regular/Empty Vessel Slime)

Mikoto (Resurrected)

Sumeragi (Resurrected)

Feral Dragon Corrin

Feral Dragon Kana

A+ Rank: Essentially prodigies, who to possess enough raw ability to crush rebellions and cripple entire armies.

Xander

Gunter (Anankos Possessed)

Shenmei (Resurrected)

Iago

Ryoma (with Rainbow Sage’s power)

Awakening Trio (With Anankos’ Power)

A Rank

Camilla

Leo

Hans

* Selena, Laslow, and maybe Odin.

B+ Rank: Elite Soldiers with a special level of skill or invaluable other-worldly ability, often designated as commanders or eventually made into them in times of crisis. These are characters with combat prowess that is widely praised throughout support conversations and story events. Lower B rank is dedicated to very powerful soldiers with a lot of retainers falling there.

Hinoka

Takumi

Saizo

Peri

Beruka

Charlotte

Kilma

Felicia

Jakob

Keaton/Kaden

Azura

B Rank

Yukimura

Kagero

Oboro

* Hana

Hinata

Flora

Niles

Zola

Kotaro

Kaze

Subaki

Benny

Reina

Scarlet

Nyx

Fuga

Effie

* Silas

C Rank: Characters who possess a small range of feats or those who are described as having latent potential that still must train further or are weakened from age or some other crippling vice. These characters can be strong in numbers, but many of them fall helpless in crises, or have some incredibly easy to exploit weakness.

Arthur

Setsuna

Orochi

Gunter

Azama

Rinkah

Sakura

Hayato

Candace

Lilith

* Kagero

D Rank: Characters who are implied to possess little to no combat experience that go on to demonstrate zero feats within the main story.

Izana

Mozu

Elise

Edited by Lucina's Husband

You should put Awakening Trio up to A rank at the very less, Laslow was able to match or at very least best Xander in a match to see if Laslow was worthy of being his retainer, it should be assumed that the other two are capable of such strength.

You should put Awakening Trio up to A rank at the very less, Laslow was able to match or at very least best Xander in a match to see if Laslow was worthy of being his retainer, it should be assumed that the other two are capable of such strength.

That's a good point! Selena also was handpicked by Camilla after seeing her at some kind of academy. The one I have trouble gauging power for is Odin. He seems to have very few combat feats beyond his own monologues!

Odin's a special case.

With magic, he's obviously not A rank, he'd just learned how to use, mainly because he's obsessive over "8th grader syndrome" habit. I'd have to say he's B rank with Magic.

But A Rank if he's given a sword again.

IIRC Hana beats Hinata in sparring at least (in their support) and Rinkah has established draws in matches with Hinata, Saizo, and Kagero. So I find it inconsistent to put both of them in C---Hana's said to be one of the best samurai in Hoshido, even. She can also cut down an entire tree with a swing with a katana and katanas are not tree-cutting weapons.

Silas should also probably be in B.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I love how we go from "characters with little to no combat experience" to "strength of gods".

Let's be honest, this is a Japanese game, chances are the word "god" just means "final obstacle to overcome with the power of friendship".

And a bit more seriously, I'm pretty sure Xander is the most powerful playable character in the army until Corrin gets the Omega Yato. This is, of course, barring Azura's song which is just a get out of jail free card for the writers.

Edited by Thane

I'd honestly put Kagero is C Rank. Throughout each route, her only role is as a messenger that is captured. A Damsel-in-Distress, if you will. The only supports that I know that mention her strength is one with Rinkah, where they are tied in strength; one with Ryoma, where they are sparring; and one with Kaze, where he mentions being weaker physically but more agile.

Moved Silas to B--his power is a bit difficult to gauge as in almost all instances he is described as a relatively recent recruit to the Nohrian army, but his skill and strength have to be high because he is made a commander on both the Hoshido and Invisible Kingdom routes. Conquest Silas has no feats, though his supports indicate he's at least pretty strong.

Hana moved up to B--maybe she should go to B+ if she's really that skilled. Was also considering moving Subaki to B+ since he is described as a prodigy at times. Is it actually stated who is stronger out of her and Tsubaki?

I am almost persuaded to move Kaze down to C. He is said to have unparalleled Speed, but he has very few feats and that silly nigh-fatal moment on the Birthright route.

Also tempted to put Azura in low A if not just for the versatility of her song. She also appears to have NUMEROUS combat feats in Conquest.

****And Anankos is stated to be a God-like being multiple times with the Avatar being their offspring with similar potential.

Edited by Lucina's Husband

Now I am not as well-versed in the game as many of you are, but wasn't Corrin toasted by Xander in Birthright? And Ryoma is supposed to be on the same tier as Xander, right? Because they fought to a stalemate early on in the game.

What makes Azura so powerful? Power of the plot?

The one I have trouble gauging power for is Odin. He seems to have very few combat feats beyond his own monologues!

The LeoxOdin support talks a bit about his strength:

Odin: You called, milord? What is it? Is it time for one of your special missions yet? Just give me the order! What heroic deed do you require of me?

Leo: I'm sorry, Odin. I thought long and hard, but there's nothing I can give you. I simply can't send you out on missions like that anymore.

Odin: You...can't? But why not? Have I displeased you, milord?

Leo: No. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Odin: I'm afraid I don't understand.

Leo: When I used to give you those dangerous missions, I did so to prove a point. It was nothing personal. You must think about it from my perspective at the time. Here was a complete stranger my father was forcing me to accept as my retainer. So I assigned you impossible tasks, hoping you'd hate me and run away.

Odin: I...see.

Leo: I didn't think I could trust you, Odin, and it seemed like the only way to be rid of you. But you were so competent, you completed even the most impossible quests. At least a few of them were things I made up on the spot. I'd never even heard of a lodestone imbued with the essence of darkness. It doesn't even make sense! But you found one all the same.

Odin: Well, I DO know a thing or two about darkness, milord.

Leo: And the legends of the spirits haunting the Woods of the Forlorn are terrible...

Odin: Eh, they're not so bad. Better than the Risen.

Leo: Risen?

Odin: ...Wild animals from my homeland.

Leo: I see. Well, the point is, I never expected success on your part. These were futile errands, things I'd never send even our best soldiers to do. That's a large part of why I came to trust and value you as a retainer. Which is why I can't send you on those sorts of missions now.

Odin: Ah, so that's why you warmed up to me seemingly out of the blue.

Leo: Yes. I was impressed by your skill and drive. Before long, it was clear I had found in you an invaluable ally. And because of this, I cannot send you on such dangerous and pointless missions. Now do you understand?

Edited by Cyas

Xander and Ryoma are easily the most powerful fighters in the world, to the point that people warn Corrin in Birthright that he/she cannot face Xander at all without dying and Ryoma saying he can't save everybody from him. We do know from multiple points that Xander and Ryoma can stalemate each other, so they're roughly equal and effectively unbeatable in combat with other humans as long as each has his legendary blade.

Azura is able to neutralize both of them with her song in Revelation. She can't kill them but she can force them into non-aggression. Simultaneously. Granted, this exhausts her, but Azura's song is no joke in terms of the storyline.

[spoiler=Spoilered to save up space]

I was really bored and didn't feel like studying for my finals, so I decided to make a thread dedicated to implied power levels and tiers for characters in Fates based on feats, story events, support conversations, and other lore. PLEASE NOTE that actual ingame abilities or gameplay tiers should matter very little here--we are looking at how powerful these characters are in the context of how they are written and how strong they are implied to be.
A really good example of this would be Charlotte a character that has piss-poor defenses numerically in game, but one that is widely hailed to be one of Nohr's best individual soldiers and a product of prodigious strength meeting hard work. I also placed Sakura higher than Elise because she is shown distracting Iago in one of the later Birthright chapters by attacking him, which bumps her a combat tier above Elise, imo.
If you want to make a case for any other characters going higher or lower, feel free to post your reasons, but stay respectful and polite. This is a very rough draft and something that I decided to put up for fun. Also feel free to add characters I may have forgotten. Most notably, I have not added children to these tiers yet.
S++ Rank: Strength of a God
• Anankos
• Corrin with Omega Yato.
S+ Rank: Close to Invincible
• Takumi (Final Possessed)
• Garon (Dragon Form)
• Corrin with Blazing/Shadow Yato
S Rank: Powerful enough to wipe out entire countries on their own.
• Garon (Regular/Empty Vessel Slime)
• Mikoto (Resurrected)
• Sumeragi (Resurrected)
• Feral Dragon Corrin
• Feral Dragon Kana
A+ Rank: Essentially prodigies, who to possess enough raw ability to crush rebellions and cripple entire armies.
• Xander
• Gunter (Anankos Possessed)
• Shenmei (Resurrected)
• Iago
• Ryoma (with Rainbow Sage’s power)
• Awakening Trio (With Anankos’ Power)
A Rank
• Camilla
• Leo
• Hans
* Selena, Laslow, and maybe Odin.
B+ Rank: Elite Soldiers with a special level of skill or invaluable other-worldly ability, often designated as commanders or eventually made into them in times of crisis. These are characters with combat prowess that is widely praised throughout support conversations and story events. Lower B rank is dedicated to very powerful soldiers with a lot of retainers falling there.
• Hinoka
• Takumi
• Saizo
• Peri
• Beruka
• Charlotte
• Kilma
• Felicia
• Jakob
• Keaton/Kaden
• Azura
B Rank
• Yukimura
• Kagero
• Oboro
* Hana
• Hinata
• Flora
• Niles
• Zola
• Kotaro
• Kaze
• Subaki
• Benny
• Reina
• Scarlet
• Nyx
• Fuga
• Effie
* Silas
C Rank: Characters who possess a small range of feats or those who are described as having latent potential that still must train further or are weakened from age or some other crippling vice. These characters can be strong in numbers, but many of them fall helpless in crises, or have some incredibly easy to exploit weakness.
• Arthur
• Setsuna
• Orochi
• Gunter
• Azama
• Rinkah
• Sakura
• Hayato
• Candace
• Lilith
* Kagero
D Rank: Characters who are implied to possess little to no combat experience that go on to demonstrate zero feats within the main story.
• Izana
• Mozu
• Elise

[spoiler=Spoilered to save up space]

Mozu is kinda said to have greater physical strenght than Corrin in her support with them. Her only problems is that she doesn't have a talent for tactics and doesn't know many techniques at first, but her support with Ryoma shows that she's an incredibly fast learner, so the latter doesn't matter that much. I'd bump her up to C-rank. She fits the criteria of "those who are described as having latent potential that still must train further"

[spoiler=Hidden Truths Spoilers]

I'd bump Lilith with Mad!Anankos power up to A-rank at least, since she completely no-sells the Awakening Trio's attacks before they get Anankos' boost

Orochi is strong enough to be the personal retainer for the Queen of Hoshido. I think she deserves to be bumped up to B-rank. Hayato is also said to be on even ground with her, and is one of the highest ranking members of the Wind-Tribe, so I think he should be there too.
Rinka and Kagero are said to be among the strongest women in the army in their supports, so maybe they should be bumped up as well, even if they don't do much in the main story other than getting captured by Nohrians (Rinka, pre-chapter 2) and Mokushu (Kagero).
I think Corrin with the regular Yato should be in B-rank, since they got their ass kicked by Hinata in their supports and they are weaker than Mozu.
Benny and Effie might need to be in higher rank as well. While they don't show tactical prowess, Effie is shown to be able to break Diamonds. With her teeth. And Benny is shown to be able to keep up with her (Well, so is Hayato, as seen in the Hoshido Scramble DLC conversations, but that's only after a lot of time and intense training, while Benny can do it from the beginning.). Not to mention all those rumors about Benny, like the one that he stopped 10000 soldiers by himself, which while obvously an exaggeration based on his appearance, there could be some truth to them.
Nyx might also be stronger, considering how she was a very talented sorcerer when she was a kid. Now that she's much older, her skills might have grown... or they could have rusted through lack of use, since she might not have wanted anything to do with it after being cursed.

That's just my opinion, though.
Edited by Luankachu