Best Boon/Bane for Maid Corrin

sanyajin

Since Fates is coming out in Europe/Aus next week I'm planning my Corrin for my Birthright Hard/Classic run! I really like the idea of a Maid Corrin and I'm wondering what the best boon/bane would be, could someone help me?

Edited by sanyajin

Magic is probably less important for a Maid than one might initially figure, since staves work pretty well as-is and most Hidden Weapons are Str-based. That said, Maid class growths are pretty light on defenses (0% HP, 5/10% Def/Res), and unmodified Maid Corrin's going to have a 45% HP growth, which may or may not be something you're comfortable with. If you are worried about that, +HP as a Boon fixes that and buffers the Def/Res somewhat, but doesn't do anything to help offensively. A -Def Bane would wipe out the boost to Def/Res from +HP but it wouldn't be terrible overall. My main concern is definitely the loss of the Nohr Princess/Noble HP growth. Nobody wants to be too fragile in Conquest. Beyond that, I'd say standard Boon/Bane combos are probably fine.

If you're looking for a more offense-oriented Maid Corrin, +Str/-Def might work. Maybe +Mag/-Lck for a healer and Flame Shuriken user. This is one instance where I probably wouldn't recommend +Spd just because it mostly only helps the areas where Maid helps as a class, so you'll see tons of Skl/Spd and not a whole lot else. If you wanted to try something weird and are starting her out as a Troubador ASAP, +Skl would cause a growth overload before promotion (85%, dropping to 80% post-promotion). She'd never miss and her crit and activation rate might be good, though if you're not keeping her in Nohr Princess for Dragon Fang she might not have anything to activate. Really anything that boosts damage or defenses should do alright.

I would probably go +Mag, -Luck. You'll want lots of magic for the Flame Shuriken (you won't need any other weapon honestly) and it'll boost your healing output, since rods are pretty weak compared to staves. Maids are pretty frail so I wouldn't go -Def or -Res.

Thing is Flame Shuriken lowers Avoid by 20 and you face lots of Cavaliers, Paladins, Generals, Heroes and Berserkers, so probably not the best choice. I'd say default boon/bane is fine, or +Str -Lck if you want more offense.

Are you staying Nohr Prince(ss) until promoted? That can help you build your bases, since Nohr Prince(ss) has nice, balanced growths. I'd say +Speed is great on everybody, then either -Luck or -Defense.

Birthright... if you don't intend to marry Jakob and or set Troubadour as your Talent, you'll have to wait until Felicia joins the team (finish Ch. 15 since you're playing as female Corrin) before you can reclass to Maid.

I'm having a hard time deciding what Boon/Bane would work for you. +Magic can be good if you want to make the most out of staves though you'd prefer using Flame Shuriken (stronger but can't crit or use attack skills) or Felicia's Plate (weaker but can crit and use attack skills). +Strength may work if you prefer using non-magical daggers/shurikens or want to go mixed. Can't really go wrong with +Speed.

For Bane, if you prefer healing away from the frontlines, then -Defense can certainly work as long as Corrin doesn't enter combat at all (read: watch enemy attack range) though you'd have to be careful if using Corrin as a combat unit before reclassing her to Maid. +Magic/-Defense can potentially work well for a Maid assuming that you grind to reach your stat caps.

+Magic/-Defense stat cap mods: 0 STR, +4 MAG, 0 SKL, +2 SPD, -1 LCK, -3 DEF, +1 RES

+MAG/-DEF Corrin's max stats as a Maid before character statues:

50 HP

28 STR

35 MAG

33 SKL

35 SPD

31 LCK

26 DEF

30 RES

Edited by Roflolxp54

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, May 14, 2016 - Turns out it's the Internet's fault.
Hidden by eclipse, May 14, 2016 - Turns out it's the Internet's fault.

+strength/-luck

luck is the least important stat imo and strength is gonna be necessary if you're a maid since maids have low strength and daggers have lower might than a lot of other weapons. don't worry about your magic, it'll turn out fine without +mag, trust me. maids have a magic growth so you'll be good

I disagree because skill exists.

Anyways, I'd say +Str or Mag/-Skill.

Skill is way better than Luck.

There is a reason why -DEF and -LCK are usually the best bane, especially -DEF because it does not lower any of your offensive stats, Jakob also gives you a free +15 Avoid and -3 damage just for pairing up.

Skill is way better than Luck.

There is a reason why -DEF and -LCK are usually the best bane, especially -DEF because it does not lower any of your offensive stats, Jakob also gives you a free +15 Avoid and -3 damage just for pairing up.

Ha! Don't make me laugh!

Also, even with Jakob's personal factored in, I'd consider a Defense bane foolish.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1. Having max defenses don't matter if the target is dead, can't do crap (ie. 0 damage and no debuffs; can't reach Corrin) against the unit, or can't ORKO the unit.

2. If all that unit does is heal via staves and stay out of combat (read: L2position good), defenses are irrelevant.

3. Character statues can patch up defenses.

4. Rescue staves and Galeforce, Warp, and Shelter skills exist.

5. This is Birthright, where grinding is allowed. Corrin's personal Defense growth rate (without class growth rate factored in) with Defense bane is similar to that of more fragile lords like Marth, Roy, or Lyn.

1. Having max defenses don't matter if the target is dead, can't do crap (ie. 0 damage and no debuffs; can't reach Corrin) against the unit, or can't ORKO the unit.

2. If all that unit does is heal via staves and stay out of combat (read: L2position good), defenses are irrelevant.

3. Character statues can patch up defenses.

4. Rescue staves and Galeforce, Warp, and Shelter skills exist.

5. This is Birthright, where grinding is allowed. Corrin's personal Defense growth rate (without class growth rate factored in) with Defense bane is similar to that of more fragile lords like Marth, Roy, or Lyn.

3. I don't know why you mentioned character statues, because they're unlikely to be a factor ingame.

4.Shelter, and Warp, to an extent, fair enough. Galeforce comes too late for it to matter because it's a level 35 skill, and Rescue staves are limited.

5. While all three of those tend to get flak for being fragile, at least they were all in games where Hp wasn't scarce. And given Birthright's lack of units that can tank, I'd have a very serious problem with ruining one of the few units that can take more than 2 hits without dying.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Ha! Don't make me laugh!

Also, even with Jakob's personal factored in, I'd consider a Defense bane foolish.

I dont know why in the world someone would think that a bane that gives you -1 STR, -3 SKL and -1 DEF which are basically the most relevant stats bar SPD is good, being able to hit more consistently is much more important than a few points of LCK that makes almost no difference in the long run.

Why would a DEF bane would be foolish when you are focusing on avoid? the -3 damage helps you to survive what you need.

You are just trading having offensive prowess for a little more critical evade and defense that you dont need on the first place, just by being near Jakob and Sakura you are having a -7 Damage reducing effect, which is enough to survive, hit has almost always been much more important than critical evade, there is a reason why breaker skills are broken, because they mess with your hit, if they only reduced critical evade instead no one would pay that amount of attention.

3. I don't know why you mentioned character statues, because they're unlikely to be a factor ingame.

4.Shelter, and Warp, to an extent, fair enough. Galeforce comes too late for it to matter because it's a level 35 skill, and Rescue staves are limited.

5. While all three of those tend to get flak for being fragile, at least they were all in games where Hp wasn't scarce. And given Birthright's lack of units that can tank, I'd have a very serious problem with ruining one of the few units that can take more than 2 hits without dying.

Tanking is less important than killing right away, especially since as I pointed above is much more easier to patch, you are making it seem like a problem when the only things you need are Jakob and Rinkah as pair up bots to survive what you need, you are talking like if you really needed tanks that bad in the first place in Birthright.
Edited by Roxachronc

I dont know why in the world someone would think that a bane that gives you -1 STR, -3 SKL and -1 DEF which are basically the most relevant stats bar SPD is good, being able to hit more consistently is much more important than a few points of LCK that makes almost no difference in the long run.

Why would a DEF bane would be foolish when you are focusing on avoid? the -3 damage helps you to survive what you need.

You are just trading having offensive prowess for a little more critical evade and defense that you dont need on the first place, just by being near Jakob and Sakura you are having a -7 Damage reducing effect, which is enough to survive, hit has almost always been much more important than critical evade, there is a reason why breaker skills are broken, because they mess with your hit, if they only reduced critical evade instead no one would pay that amount of attention.

Tanking is less important than killing right away, especially since as I pointed above is much more easier to patch, you are making it seem like a problem when the only things you need are Jakob and Rinkah as pair up bots to survive what you need, you are talking like if you really needed tanks that bad in the first place in Birthright.

I don't know where you get this impression that skill is relevant, because honestly, I don't think it's been relevant since FE6.

Because Fates isn't GBA, where you could rely on evade as a defense because enemies tended to suck and used inaccurate weapons for the most part.

Maybe, but tbh, it's easier to make up for low hit than it is to make up for low crit evade.

Considering that as I stated earlier, dodgetanking is pretty much dead in Fates, I'd say you're underselling the importance of a good tank.

I'm going to be the odd duck and suggest +SKL/-DEF.

The reason for this is, when I was trying to maximize Staff accuracy for PvP, +SKL Corrin offered more than +MAG. With a +SKL Corrin, if you wait until you have Dragon Fang to switch, you'll have a proc' skill. +SKL also boosts STR growth slightly, which will certainly help.

Plus, it does similar things to +STR in allowing you make up for some of the penalties of taking -DEF.

You won't be a DEF tank, though you never would be as a Maid. However, you can end up with Hoshidan Unity/Quixotic/Vantage/(Offensive/Proc) and get some work done that way, so long as you don't aggro too many enemies at once. You will be, first and foremost, support.

Edited by Butterfly Pink