Pocket Card Jockey

Jave

UnKZkiq.png

So anyone else playing this? It's a 3DS eShop game made by Game Freak which involves playing solitary while horse racing. Sounds random, but after trying out the demo (which is surprisingly meaty), I was amazed by how nicely the game played. It also a super cute art style, clever writing and funny jokes. It can get a bit repetitive, but I find the gameplay so addictive that in the end I don't mind. It also has a surprisingly deep level of features, allowing you to level up and take care of your horses and even breed new ones.

All of you guys here should do yourselves a favor and at least try out the demo. I thought this was going to be a 2-hour game tops, but now I'm at the 9-hour mark after just one weekend.

Edited by Jave

I'll try the demo and edit this post with my thoughts.

UPDATE: This demo is a barrage of tutorials and unusual mechanics. It's much like later Kingdom Hearts' tutorials. That is a bad thing.

UPDATE 2: Now that I (mostly) understand what's going on, I've determined that this game is about luck and grinding. There are minor skill and strategy elements, but they are not as important as the random set-up of cards, and having a horse with good stats. I conclude that this is a mediocre time waster, probably even worse than Pokemon. 5/10

In completely unrelated news, Art of Balance: Touch is currently on sale for $5.20 (Pocket Card Jockey is $6.99). Under these circumstances, I strongly recommend it over this game, and it too has a demo.

Edited by Zera