What Country Would You Base A Region Off Of?

CooledEvergreen

This is something that's always interested me about the Pokémon series. To my knowledge, every region has been based of a different place/country, such as Japan, USA, Arizona and so on. With people abuzz with Sun and Moon being announced and all, I thought now would be a good time to ask this question: if you could choose the country/place that will be the next region's inspiration, which one would you choose and why?

Personally, I think I would choose Ireland. I'd say the region would have a lot of Normal, Grass, Water, Bug and Ghost type Pokémon, with terrain similar to Kanto or Johto, with more farms. I feel, with all the sites of ancient castles and holy wells, it might be an inspiration if Game Freak wanted to go more into the lore of the series.

Edited by CooledEvergreen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted France for gen 6 regarding countries and I got that, so I'll have to say my second most-wanted, which would be more parts of the good ol' US. I drew a region based off of Pittsburgh, PA. There wouldn't be many Water types there, I imagine, since it's an inland city whose only water is the three rivers that meet there. But I wouldn't mind, I'm not even a big fan of that type. :P

I doubt it'll ever happen though, so I'm just going to say more US regions.

Well, it depends on how accurate the region is; Pokemon's NYC has a desert smack-dab in the center.

Argintina. There's enough of a geographical mix to make things interesting, and we haven't had any regions based off of a country in South America.

Yeah, but the general shape of the region is still pretty much the same as NYC. I didn't make my Pittsburgh region exactly the same as Pittsburgh itself (I widened one of the rivers on the west side, for example, so there's not too little water compared to land, and I threw a desert into the northwest lol), so I know I can be flexible and add my own little spins.

Edited by Anacybele

I think an adapted take on Australia and/or New Zealand would be cool and could give a good ratio for nature and biodiversity.

Alternatively, there's plenty of countries in South America that could probably work too.

The Mediterranean. There's a multitude of different cultures and having the water be all in the middle and the land on the outside would be a nice twist.

I actually think most of the world is not geographically fit for a Pokemon region.

I want either more Japan or a completely original region. I can't think of anything that could turn out well.

Well, I'd say Mexico. It has potential I'd think. Depending on stuff like scale used and area covered.

I actually think most of the world is not geographically fit for a Pokemon region.

I want either more Japan or a completely original region. I can't think of anything that could turn out well.

In what sense? Since usually the only thing carried over is the landmass shape and at times significant landmarks. Stuff like topography is more or less changed.

In what sense? Since usually the only thing carried over is the landmass shape and at times significant landmarks. Stuff like topography is more or less changed.

Landmass. Most countries are like Italy and Spain and have sizes not fit to Pokemon. Spain as a region would be a literal square.

That's why I'm hesitant about Hawaii. Hawaii's not very big. France was a pretty great shape, as were the Japanese areas chosen. I could see the UK, but the water routes inbetween might e a bit much. Zooming really far in might work though.

Landmass. Most countries are like Italy and Spain and have sizes not fit to Pokemon. Spain as a region would be a literal square.

That's why I'm hesitant about Hawaii. Hawaii's not very big. France was a pretty great shape, as were the Japanese areas chosen. I could see the UK, but the water routes inbetween might e a bit much. Zooming really far in might work though.

Well, the regions don't have a uniform scale, so that wouldn't be a problem. Like how Unova only covers Metropolitan NYC, while Kalos is most of the upper half of France.

I was thinking of wanting something for a new region in a future Pokemon game to have based off from Hong Kong, Canada, Spain, and Mexico. I mean that since Unova is more based off from US and Kalos is based off from Europe, I think we wanted more since the other regions before Black & White were based off from Japan.

Edited by King Marth 64

There kind of isn't any room for more Japan, unless your a Japanese Imperialist, in which case sure, make a game set in the Glorious Niponese Colony of Korea, I'm sure that will go over well. In all seriousness, I think that Germany, with its forests, Iron Mines, and farmland would make a good locale; also, it would involve Prussia. Failing that, a region based on the Middle East would be cool; it would draw a lot of inspiration from the Ottoman Empire design wise, and it isn't often understood just how geographically diverse the Middle East is. Finally, one based on Scandinavia or Russia would be very interesting, if a bit Ice Type heavy.

I'd go somewhere HOT, like Australia. I'm stereotyping here, but there'd be a lot of Fighting, Ground, and Bug types there. As for legendary Pokemon, I don't know that much about Australian folklore.

Combine the U.S and Mexico. Hawaii could be like the Sevii Islands or like a battle frontier area. As for Alaska..... Maybe just a one time event for an Ice pokemon.

if not that I wouldn't mind Britain combing with Spain and Portugal. You'd use a boat or surf to the other Island where you can get different pokemon or at least different designs like Shellos.

Biased, but Chile could work since it includes the world's driest desert, the coldest icebergs, the longest mountain range, as well as varied landmarks such as copper mines, sea ports, beaches, islands and many others.

It also has a perfect place that works for finding a Legendary Pokemon.

I dunno, Chile is basically a long thick line, so wouldn't a region based off of it be incredibly linear?

That monument does sound like a good place for a legendary Pokemon tho.

I dunno, Chile is basically a long thick line, so wouldn't a region based off of it be incredibly linear?

That monument does sound like a good place for a legendary Pokemon tho.

Personally, I wouldn't think a country's size would be too big of a factor. I would say the big factors to consider would be a country's landmarks, culture, terrain, climate and other things such as flora and fauna.

I was talking about shape, not size. The size shouldn't be a big factor, you're right, given that we just saw New York and then France while the latter is way bigger than the other. :P

I think shape should matter some because it can define how linear the region is, how much and what you can fit in the given space, and how interesting it could be to travel around it. With Chile, I just see us traveling in a straight line north or south... No offense to Jave, of course.

Edited by Anacybele

I was talking about shape, not size. The size shouldn't be a big factor, you're right, given that we just saw New York and then France while the latter is way bigger than the other. :P

I think shape should matter some because it can define how linear the region is, how much and what you can fit in the given space, and how interesting it could be to travel around it. With Chile, I just see us traveling in a straight line north or south... No offense to Jave, of course.

Sorry, I derped. I meant shape in my previous post, not size >_>

While I can see the importance of it, I still feel that shape shouldn't be the top factor. If a country has a lot of potential but the only thing that's stopping it is size then I'd say going a little off the walls with the region shape should be allowed, especially if it's for gameplay purposes, and if the dev thing can really make something unique out of it.

Edited by CooledEvergreen