Implementing casual mode in older FEs?

Katie

Would it be possible to hack the pre-fe12 FEs to implement a casual mode, or at least turn permadeath off? How would one do this? From what I can tell, the closest thing that's been done is the FE4 remake using FE7 as a base, which has dead units get replaced by "zombies", which have lower growth rates than their living counterpart. I'm rather curious as to how this was accomplished, as I'd imagine implementing a full-on casual mode wouldn't be a far cry away from what the FE4 remake team did. Making "casual mode" versions of my hacks is definitely something I'd be interested in doing(though they would still have "classic mode" versions too, of course).

Edited by Matthewtheman

Would it be possible to hack the pre-fe12 FEs to implement a casual mode, or at least turn permadeath off? How would one do this? From what I can tell, the closest thing that's been done is the FE4 remake using FE7 as a base, which has dead units get replaced by "zombies", which have lower growth rates than their living counterpart. I'm rather curious as to how this was accomplished, as I'd imagine implementing a full-on casual mode wouldn't be a far cry away from what the FE4 remake team did. Making "casual mode" versions of my hacks is definitely something I'd be interested in doing(though they would still have "classic mode" versions too, of course).

I seem to remember that that (at least in the gba games) the "death" script includes code to remove the unit from the list, and you can just remove the code so it doesn't remove the unit. You would have to find the relevant script, look at it in the event assembler, find the code, and cut it out. I don't know th details on how to do this though. Programing a seperate mode would be a major project, as you would need to hack in some kind of selector, which would probably be a lot more complicated than commenting out a few lines of code.

Edited by sirmola

Skitty's "Fractured Realms" (a hack of FE7) managed it. If I recall, it involved using eventing to change a character's allegiance to "other" when they were killed. That was why when you lost someone, you'd see their map sprite momentarily turn green just before it faded away. Come the next battle, they'd be back in your army with the same level/stats/equipment they'd had when they were "killed".

I don't know the specifics though, and I'm pretty sure it was more complicated than that - but it's certainly possible.

I seem to remember that that (at least in the gba games) the "death" script includes code to remove the unit from the list, and you can just remove the code so it doesn't remove the unit. You would have to find the relevant script, look at it in the event assembler, find the code, and cut it out. I don't know th details on how to do this though. Programing a seperate mode would be a major project, as you would need to hack in some kind of selector, which would probably be a lot more complicated than commenting out a few lines of code.

I figured as much. I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of programming a separate mode.

It's very easy if you hack FE4.

Just assign the same skill Diadora has, so everyone can still show up in the next chapter after they die.

Just make it so that the death bit doesn't get saved in the SRAM, and set it to false on new chapter like how the current HP is set to max

Or check out Merlinus. He's immune to permadeath

Edited by Brendor