A Few FE:F Questions

Savior_of_Dreams

I'm attempting work on a fan fiction involving two friends, one taken by Nohr, the other escaped to Hoshido. In this particular scenario, the two friends inhabit a village in Nohr that has been involved in attempts to rebel against the nation. As punishment, Nohrian forces are sent in, and the friends are caught in the crossfire. I already said that one would have been taken captive by Nohr as a prisoner of war, which begs a few questions...

Nohr-Related Questions

I know Nohr take prisoners (i.e. Kaze and Rinkah), but what could possibly warrant such? Would they only take important individuals, such as rebellion leaders or advisors? (I get then, in this instance, why they'd take Rinkah, since she was important as the Flame Chieftain's daughter. Kaze, not so much...) Would any prisoners of war be assassinated immediately by the Royal Family as tests of strength, or would they be tortured for information (and perhaps later on killed or held prisoner/hostage)?

Another aspect, since I've tried to understand is how some individuals become retainers, which is another part to my story. Leo, for example, allowed Niles to be his retainer despite his attempt to steal from the Nohrian castle. Would it or could it seem acceptable for a Royal Family member to take on a prisoner as their retainer if they proved their strength and capability?

Hoshido-Related Questions

Most of these are just similar to the Nohrian questions. The circumstance I have for the Hoshidan friend would simply be she escapes to Hoshido in an attempt to flee the Nohrians, but it captured in Hoshido and interrogated. Without money or anything to her name, she explains herself and her desire for asylum in the more peaceful nation, and eventually comes to serve the Hoshidan Royals as a retainer.

Regarding retainers, would it be believable if a Hoshidan Royal took on this girl (assuming she proved her strength and capability) as a retainer? I also assumed Hoshido would be more sympathetic to someone seeking asylum from Nohr, and would thus be more willing to trust her (with others of course being naturally suspicious of her). Does any of this seem reasonable?

I'm not looking necessairily for in-game information (already looked, from what I have seen there's not much to address my questions). I simply want the input of thos on serenesforest. Any and all opinions are graciously welcomed. Thank you.

I think Kaze was taken for a similar reason as Rinkah. Remember he's Saizo's brother. And Saizo is Ryoma's dangerous bodyguard. It was too risky to take the fire chief and Saizo, so they took people related by blood to them instead. Kinda like, "if you don't stop your funny business, your daughter/brother dies." Whether they're killed immediately or interrogated would depend on how important/useful they are I guess.

I can see Garon not being very accepting of Niles for the reason you gave, but he knows it wasn't his choice. It appears that the selection of retainers is a sole decision by the noble. Maybe Garon wanted to reprimand Leo for picking a lowly thief at one time until he saw how useful Niles can be, idk.

I see no problems with your logic here, the Hoshido stuff is spot on. Some people trust and some people don't. Takumi would be one who wouldn't trust an outsider for example, so unless you come up with a good reason, you should probably not use him. Sakura would be most likely as far as I know.

At the end of the day though, it's your story, so you can do what you want with it.

I think Kaze was taken for a similar reason as Rinkah. Remember he's Saizo's brother. And Saizo is Ryoma's dangerous bodyguard. It was too risky to take the fire chief and Saizo, so they took people related by blood to them instead. Kinda like, "if you don't stop your funny business, your daughter/brother dies." Whether they're killed immediately or interrogated would depend on how important/useful they are I guess.

I can see Garon not being very accepting of Niles for the reason you gave, but he knows it wasn't his choice. It appears that the selection of retainers is a sole decision by the noble. Maybe Garon wanted to reprimand Leo for picking a lowly thief at one time until he saw how useful Niles can be, idk.

I see no problems with your logic here, the Hoshido stuff is spot on. Some people trust and some people don't. Takumi would be one who wouldn't trust an outsider for example, so unless you come up with a good reason, you should probably not use him. Sakura would be most likely as far as I know.

At the end of the day though, it's your story, so you can do what you want with it.

I sincerely want to thank you- I want to get this story going ASAP (its a gift for a friend who loves Fates) and was getting antsy about the number of replies (0). Thanks so much for your tremendous help! Ahah, yeah I foresaw the issue with Takumi- my friend adores him but I figured it wouldn't be the best idea given his nature. Sakura works a lot better though. Thank you again!

You are so welcome!

Hey, if Takumi is popular with your friend, you could try having him develop romantic feelings for this girl. And then he'd be kicking himself, "am I really crushing on this...outsider?" Would be interesting.

You are so welcome!

Hey, if Takumi is popular with your friend, you could try having him develop romantic feelings for this girl. And then he'd be kicking himself, "am I really crushing on this...outsider?" Would be interesting.

Hm, that's actually a really interesting way of putting it! I had wanted to incorporate her with her in-game crush, but wasn't sure how to do it given his harsh personality to outsiders. That would be really funny, actually. Thanks for the tip, you're an awesome help :D!