Who are Sakura and Takumi's parents? (spoilers)

MapleRose

I've finished all 3 paths, and the Hidden Truths DLC, and this question has been bugging me:

Who are Sakura and Takumi's parents? I know this seems like a strange question, but hear me out.

The timeline, pieced together through story and supports:

1) Ryoma born

2) Hinoka born

3) Mikoto came to Hoshido with baby Corrin, met Sumeragi, fell in love and married Sumeragi

4) Corrin kidnapped, Sumeragi died protecting Corrin

5) Azura kidnapped

6) Elise born

6) is based on Azura and Elise's support, where Azura said she heard of a new Nohr princess being born after she was kidnapped.

Assumptions:

- Sakura is around the same age as Elise

- Sumeragi met and married Mikoto after Ryoma and Hinoka's mother died

So Sakura would be born some time after Corrin and Azura are kidnapped. Then is she Sumeragi's daughter, since Sumeragi died when Corrin was kidnapped? I suppose Sakura /could/ be Sumeragi's child still, if her mother was pregnant with her when Sumeragi died.

But then, is she Mikoto's daughter? If so, doesn't that mean you'd be marrying your half sister still? If not, did Sumeragi have another wife besides Mikoto, or have concubines like Garon did?

With Takumi, I suppose since there was no age set when Corrin came to Hoshido other than "baby", so I guess Corrin could be like 1-2 years old by the time Mikoto came to Hoshido, and Takumi could have been born recently to Ryoma/Hinoka's mother. But it still doesn't make sense for Sakura due to #6) in my timeline.

Or is my assumption wrong that Elise and Sakura are around the same age?

It was never explicitly said how long Corrin spent in Hoshido, but I assumed it was at least a couple of years, since Corrin had some recollection of being with his Hoshidan family as a kid. So if Sakura was already born by the time Corrin came to Hoshido, that would mean she's a few years older than Elise.

Also, does the main story ever mention that Mikoto isn't related to the Hoshidan siblings by blood, or is it only through the support with Hinoka? I find it weird that Corrin's S support with Takumi and Sakura has the letter that tells Corrin he/she isn't Sumeragi's child, but nothing about Mikoto. Is it just assumed that you know Mikoto's not their mom? (how?? where did Corrin find out that information if not for Hinoka's support? Takumi and Sakura never talk about it in their support with Corrin)

Am I reading too far into this? Is there another DLC that reveals more?

The ancient texts in the Records Hall indicate that a woman named Ikona was the biological mother of Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi, and Sakura. And that Corrin isn't blood-related to her or any of the Hoshidan siblings. Corrin is Mikoto's only biological child. With Mikoto married to Sumeragi, the Hoshidan siblings are really Corrin's stepsiblings. And in the story scene that takes place after Corrin and the party defeated Mikoto in the Revelation route, Mikoto reveals that Corrin is her biological child, is Vallite royalty, and that she and Arete are sisters, effectively making Corrin and Azura cousins.

Corrin getting an S-support with any of the Hoshidan siblings would have that sibling reveal that they aren't blood-related.

Edited by Roflolxp54

The ancient texts straight up say (well, in dragon language) that the Hoshidan royals are all children of Sumeragi and his first wife Ikona. Since Sakura's supports with Corrin imply that she was already born when Corrin was kidnapped (namely, she heard rumors that Nohr was planning on kidnapping her instead), it can be assumed that Ikona died shortly after Sakura's birth.

As for Mikoto, Sumeragi mentions that he fell in love with her immediately, but he never says when he married her. It seems likely that he let Mikoto and Corrin live in the castle with his family, and only married Mikoto after Ikona's death.

And for the younger princesses, it seems that Sakura and Elise are around the same age, but Sakura is older by a year or so. It is also possible that Elise was born shortly before Azura was kidnapped, rather than after.

Also, does the main story ever mention that Mikoto isn't related to the Hoshidan siblings by blood, or is it only through the support with Hinoka? I find it weird that Corrin's S support with Takumi and Sakura has the letter that tells Corrin he/she isn't Sumeragi's child, but nothing about Mikoto. Is it just assumed that you know Mikoto's not their mom? (how?? where did Corrin find out that information if not for Hinoka's support? Takumi and Sakura never talk about it in their support with Corrin)

It seems to be common knowledge in-universe that Mikoto is not the mother of the Hoshidan royals, even though the player is never formally told this. From an in-story perspective, Corrin probably learned this in the period between chapters 4 and 5.

Edited by Lightchao42

Corrin's support with Kagero tells of how Ryoma worked to get the Hoshidan populace to be accepting of Mikoto becoming Hoshido's queen after Sumeragi's death, especially with how Ryoma already knowing that he and Mikoto aren't blood-related (and Corrin's aware of it, too). There's also Hinoka initially not being very accepting of Mikoto being her non-blood-related mother until after Corrin's being kidnapped by Garon.

TL;DR -- the story is a mess.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Also, does the main story ever mention that Mikoto isn't related to the Hoshidan siblings by blood, or is it only through the support with Hinoka? I find it weird that Corrin's S support with Takumi and Sakura has the letter that tells Corrin he/she isn't Sumeragi's child, but nothing about Mikoto. Is it just assumed that you know Mikoto's not their mom? (how?? where did Corrin find out that information if not for Hinoka's support? Takumi and Sakura never talk about it in their support with Corrin

I forget where but I do believe that they indeed mention that Mikoto is not the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings.

Here's the thing though: it doesn't matter. Sumeragi's first wife was only invented so that Corrin could bang their sibling; the Hoshidan siblings call Mikoto mother, as does Corrin, and a part of the choice was that the protagonist could return to their blood related siblings. It cheapens chapter six and makes a mess out of the timeline just so Corrin can prey on their supposed family members.

I forget where but I do believe that they indeed mention that Mikoto is not the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings.

Here's the thing though: it doesn't matter. Sumeragi's first wife was only invented so that Corrin could bang their sibling; the Hoshidan siblings call Mikoto mother, as does Corrin, and a part of the choice was that the protagonist could return to their blood related siblings. It cheapens chapter six and makes a mess out of the timeline just so Corrin can prey on their supposed family members.

I'm just putting this out there: IS should've just allowed the brother-sister incest. I mean, I can't be the only who assumed before the games' releases that the (possible) incest would be an important point during the story and they would discuss the implications and societal impact. I probably was. What does this say about me?

But, yeah, the decision to give the Hoshidan siblings a mother that was not Mikoto messes up the timeline and turns anyone's brain who tries to think about it into mush.

Also, brings up the possibility that Sumeragi was in a loveless relationship. What kind of excuse did he give Ikona when bringing in Mikoto and her fatherless child? Did he even tell Ikona? I'd understand why the Hoshidan siblings would be wary and resentful of Mikoto.

Isn't kind of obvious though? Does Mikoto really look old enough to have a child Ryoma's age? Ryoma's in about his mid 20's, I'd say Mikoto is in her late 30's at oldest.

Part of the reason I initially thought she was going to have some kind of Mother Gothel/Rapunzel relationship with Azura. But nope. Pretty mom is squeaky clean.

The ancient texts straight up say (well, in dragon language) that the Hoshidan royals are all children of Sumeragi and his first wife Ikona. Since Sakura's supports with Corrin imply that she was already born when Corrin was kidnapped (namely, she heard rumors that Nohr was planning on kidnapping her instead), it can be assumed that Ikona died shortly after Sakura's birth.

As for Mikoto, Sumeragi mentions that he fell in love with her immediately, but he never says when he married her. It seems likely that he let Mikoto and Corrin live in the castle with his family, and only married Mikoto after Ikona's death.

And for the younger princesses, it seems that Sakura and Elise are around the same age, but Sakura is older by a year or so. It is also possible that Elise was born shortly before Azura was kidnapped, rather than after.

It seems to be common knowledge in-universe that Mikoto is not the mother of the Hoshidan royals, even though the player is never formally told this. From an in-story perspective, Corrin probably learned this in the period between chapters 4 and 5.

I guess that makes sense if Sumeragi didn't marry Mikoto right away after she came to Hoshido. But it is a bit sad that if Ikona was alive at the time, it essentially means Sumeragi is cheating on his wife, even if by all accounts he's an honourable man. You can't help who you fall in love with I guess (like the Hoshidan siblings besides Ryoma, who fell in love with Corrin before finding out they're not related >_< )

I just find it weird that if you played Birthright and only got the S support with Takumi or Sakura without getting the supports with Ryoma, Hinoka or Kagero you'd never know about Mikoto not being their mom (and thus, feel like you'd still be marrying your half-sibling lol)

I uh, married Ryoma in Revelations, so I guess I'm guilty of that? oops.

But yeah it is kinda weird that they emphasized family so much in this game, yet you can marry them (with the "it's okay if you're not blood related" thing)

I'm just putting this out there: IS should've just allowed the brother-sister incest. I mean, I can't be the only who assumed before the games' releases that the (possible) incest would be an important point during the story and they would discuss the implications and societal impact. I probably was. What does this say about me?

But, yeah, the decision to give the Hoshidan siblings a mother that was not Mikoto messes up the timeline and turns anyone's brain who tries to think about it into mush.

Also, brings up the possibility that Sumeragi was in a loveless relationship. What kind of excuse did he give Ikona when bringing in Mikoto and her fatherless child? Did he even tell Ikona? I'd understand why the Hoshidan siblings would be wary and resentful of Mikoto.

Haha, judging by how squeamish the localization was about cousin marriages in Awakening (Lucina and Owain S changed to "partners" instead of "husband/wife" and their S support stripped out some romantic text), even if IS originally addressed incest, it'll probably get changed in the localization...
In Corrin's support with Yukimura, he said Sumeragi was a loving father who cared a lot about his family, so I assumed he cares about his wife too, so I assumed he met Mikoto after Ikana had died, but then like you said, the timeline is messed up lol

Isn't kind of obvious though? Does Mikoto really look old enough to have a child Ryoma's age? Ryoma's in about his mid 20's, I'd say Mikoto is in her late 30's at oldest.

Part of the reason I initially thought she was going to have some kind of Mother Gothel/Rapunzel relationship with Azura. But nope. Pretty mom is squeaky clean.

I had my questions, but you never know, Mikoto could be older than she looked lol. She could be in her late 40s but just looks young?
Edited by MapleRose

My headcannon is that Sumeragi was two-timing on Ikona with Mikoto for years. Then Mikoto offed Ikona in a coordinated attack on Sumeragi with Garon, so she could seize the Hoshidan throne.

Lissa can be a great grandmother. Anything's possible.

Jokes aside, i mostly agree that it was just done for fanservice. What's next, your gonna be able to marry your parents in the next game?

Well, marrying your adoptive siblings was kept in, and from a psychological viewpoint that's even worse and I did it anyway, so I don't wholly disagree with you.

Also, Lady Corrin never finds out they're not blood-related if she marries Shiro or Kiragi...

Edited by Res

Jokes aside, i mostly agree that it was just done for fanservice. What's next, your gonna be able to marry your parents in the next game?

Ugh, don't give them any ideas.

"I'm actually not your mother even though I've cared for you as one for 19 years...I'm actually...an 18-year-old supermodel!"

"Can I still call you mum?"

"Oh, I insist you do ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"

"( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) "

And then a message pops up saying "technically not incest!"

Ugh, don't give them any ideas.

"I'm actually not your mother even though I've cared for you as one for 19 years...I'm actually...an 18-year-old supermodel!"

"Can I still call you mum?"

"Oh, I insist you do ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"

"( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) "

And then a message pops up saying "technically not incest!"

They resurrected Mikoto so you could reach S Support with her.

My headcannon is that Sumeragi was two-timing on Ikona with Mikoto for years. Then Mikoto offed Ikona in a coordinated attack on Sumeragi with Garon, so she could seize the Hoshidan throne.

And maybe that's why Sumeragi-zombie killed Mikoto, for revenge! Or maybe Mikoto is possessed by Anankos too and you just don't know it. It all makes sense now!

Lol, now I'm imagining the Hoshidan royals growing up in the Outer realms. Maybe that's why the timeline doesn't make sense, because Outer realm shenanigans!

And well, feMU can marry Gunter, who's practically your dad, so I'd say this game already allows that.....

Well, marrying your adoptive siblings was kept in, and from a psychological viewpoint that's even worse and I did it anyway, so I don't wholly disagree with you.

Also, Lady Corrin never finds out they're not blood-related if she marries Shiro or Kiragi...

Oh god you're right, I forgot about the nephews. Maybe uh... Ryoma told Shiro, and Takumi gave Mikoto's letter to Kiragi? But they never tell Corrin lol

Edited by MapleRose

I married Ryoma during Revelations. I regret it—but only because he called me a fool during lovey-dovey time. If he had been a bit more gentle, our marriage would have been a happy one. Way back before Fates was ever released, I planned on marrying Xander, completely ignoring the fact that he was your "brother." I either did not care or did not understand—I'm towards the former, honestly.

The way I see it, if they make them marriageable, it is my divine duty to romance them—for the good of society.

lel she marrying her nephew lmao

I married Ryoma during Revelations. I regret it—but only because he called me a fool during lovey-dovey time. If he had been a bit more gentle, our marriage would have been a happy one.

I blame the localization for that one! In Japanese he says "Can I kiss you? .... Sorry, I don't know what came over me" >____<

But he totally has abandonment issues, I found out through bonding with him

Or is my assumption wrong that Elise and Sakura are around the same age?

I didn't see this addressed by anyone else yet, but it's stated in the Corrin/Sakura support that Sakura was already born by the time Corrin was kidnapped. So Sakura is probably at least around a year older than Elise.

I've played through Birthright twice recently, and I'm pretty confident that this is not explicitly stated, at least in the English version of the game. The only reason you're aware is by doing supports.

I married Ryoma during Revelations. I regret it—but only because he called me a fool during lovey-dovey time. If he had been a bit more gentle, our marriage would have been a happy one. Way back before Fates was ever released, I planned on marrying Xander, completely ignoring the fact that he was your "brother." I either did not care or did not understand—I'm towards the former, honestly.

The way I see it, if they make them marriageable, it is my divine duty to romance them—for the good of society.

Hey if Oboro didn't exist I'd probably totally marry Takumi on a Birthright playthrough, but she does, and I can't not do Takumi x Oboro. Edited by Res

I blame the localization for that one! In Japanese he says "Can I kiss you? .... Sorry, I don't know what came over me" >____<

But he totally has abandonment issues, I found out through bonding with him

*nosebleed*

Why did they do this to me? First, they take the 'T' from Tsubaki's name. Then, they take away DIO Niles. Next, they butcher my OTP Niles x Arthur support. Then, they make Ryoma call me a fool!? WTF!?

*nosebleed*

Why did they do this to me? First, they take the 'T' from Tsubaki's name. Then, they take away DIO Niles. Next, they butcher my OTP Niles x Arthur support. Then, they make Ryoma call me a fool!? WTF!?

Yeah I don't know why they changed that line so much :/: . His other lines stayed mostly in tact. His line for getting to a full heart, instead of "I-I can't lose you" he says "I'm more afraid of losing you than anything else." See, abandonment issues

I will forever type "Tsubaki", don't care what localization did, it just looks weird without the T lol. I'm playing through the game through Homebrew/Hans so I can hear the Japanese voices >__< Totally married Niles on a separate save file so I can listen to his voice

Anyway, how do you read the ancient texts? Is there a key somewhere that lets you decode it?

Yeah I don't know why they changed that line so much :/: . His other lines stayed mostly in tact. His line for getting to a full heart, instead of "I-I can't lose you" he says "I'm more afraid of losing you than anything else." See, abandonment issues

I will forever type "Tsubaki", don't care what localization did, it just looks weird without the T lol. I'm playing through the game through Homebrew/Hans so I can hear the Japanese voices >__< Totally married Niles on a separate save file so I can listen to his voice

Anyway, how do you read the ancient texts? Is there a key somewhere that lets you decode it?

The very last tablet gives the letter key from A to Z.

Or better yet, here's a nice link for every single ancient text: http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Ancient_Texts

The possibility of takomeat and sakura being born already by the time corncob was baby-napped is valid, right?

Sakura/Corrin A-rank: "Sakura: W-well...I was really little when you were kidnapped and taken to Nohr... One day, I overheard some maids talking, and they said that Nohr wasn't after YOU. They'd planned to kidnap me instead!"