Some characters just rub you the wrong way at first, and you just think they're a simple joke or stereotype. But then they do or say something that makes you see them in a new light.

Mine was Arthur. I thought he was the average superhero guy who sucks at his job. I still liked him no problem, but earlier today I was looking through his Support conversations in the Japanese version of the game, and was shocked to discover one of his talks with Effie.

To summarize, he asked how was Effie a better retainer than him. She responded something akin to "because Elise was my friend before I was

her retainer." The next conversation was a followup answer to Arthur's question, saying that he was "too fickle". He responded by saying that it's simply how he is; he helps people in need, not simply Elise. Effie responded with saying that kind of attitude is just fine.

I thought he was doing it simply for the possible fame and accolation, but it was simply because of how much of a good person he is. From what I understand, they flanderized him in the official translation, which is unfortunate. But I'll always respect Arthur for the man he was supposed to be.

Edited by TheRPGFan

Saizo at first i thought he was just an asshole who hates talking, then ch 17 conquest happened and gave me MASSIVE RESPECT for him and making him one of my favorite hoshidans. I played Conquest first and even when i did play birthright i didn't really use saizo that much due to his child being an awakening clone and not worrying about getting him supports. However i used him in revelation actually started to love him gameplay wize.

Rolf

I thought he was just you're 8/15 FE child and I didn't realize initially that IS was actually treating the whole child soldier issue seriously this time.

Yune

It took me a while to really relate to her and to appreciate how Part 4 is basically all about her learning about her facing the consequences of her actions in the past.

That and Nowi makes her look so much better now. Yune actually acts her age and status. She has a childish personality but you can also see her motherly love towards her creations and feel a sense of her being a higher entity. Meanwhile Nowi is designed to be a pedophile's wet dream. She looks like a child and acts like a child and her supposed age is merely a shamelessly transparent excuse to have her wear skimpy lingerie and to let the player bang and impregnate her.

Ike

Initially I didn't see him as any different from all the other blue-haired Lords. But after a few playthroughs I noticed how his status as an unprivileged commoner defined his character and his significance to the plot.

August/Soren

Not that I ever disliked either of them but these days I definitely miss Soren's cynic, pragmatic outlook and August's willingness to tell his liege right in his face when he is being a naive idiot.

Soren specifically

He initially comes across like he is utterly ruthless and would sell out the group at the first opportunity. But of course the longer the game went one the more obvious it became just how close he and Ike are and why Ike would trust him so much.

Eirika

Initially I felt that her story was mere filler that did nothing but give some more character development to Lyon. But over the years I realized that she was in no way a weaker character then her brother, that her story merely had a different focus then Eprahim's.

Elincia

Back when Radiant Dawn came out, everyone treated Part 2 as needless filler. Since I always had this tendency to trust other people's judgement more then my own, it took me a while to realize just how tight and engaging Part 2's story is and how great Elincia was in it.

Edited by BrightBow

From past games, I really grew to love

FE7: Jaffar, Nino: for learning to be good people when surrounded by evil

FE9: Jill: for using her experience to move past her prejudices

Soren: for being a strong person with his tragic background

I didn't gain a lot of respect for Geoffrey or anything, but I don't dislike him nearly as much as I used to. I realized he still fills that gentlemanly/chivalrous knight type that I tend to be fond of, and he has a cool design in RD. And an amazing hair color.

His PoR design is BLEH though. Wtf was IS thinking coloring his armor like that...

Rhajat: While I still hate her as a conecpt, I find her a hell of a lot more bearable than Tharja, to the point where I can actually say I like her a little bit.

Conquest!Corrin: Here's a PRIME example of don't believe everything you read

[spoiler=Conquest Spoilas] People have done a metric fuckton of bitching about Conquest!Corrin's personality to the point where I expected to hate him going into Fates. He turned out to be a teddy bear that I adored and a Camus that for reasons even I don't understand, I could actually sympathize with

Inigo from Awakening (This is going to be long)

(To give some backstory I paired up Libra and Olivia together)

I first saw him flirting with a girl in the chapter he was first shown, which I was not very happy about.

However as time went on I saw more than just that flirtatious attitude, I saw his funny and emotional side (Gerome and Inigo support)

I started to like him more, but then I saw his supports with his father making him out to be a deeper character.

I also read some of his other rather serious quotes and dialogue such as Death's Embrace and Future Past 2.

Future Past 2 showed him at his best as a person who always smiles to make people feel happy around him.

Here's my favorite quotes “I wish I could be shocked at this, but the dead rose all the time in my future. Friends, neighbors - they all became Risen... And then they had to be taken down. I've done this so many times now, I barely feel anything at all...”

"Sorry... I don't think I can go on... Everyone...promise you'll keep...smiling..."

"You may think me a dandy and a fool, but a lot of people depended on me in the future. Every day, I was out there fighting Risen and risking my life. With everyone looking to me to be strong, I had no choice. I HAD to be invincible. I couldn't complain or show any weakness. Not with everyone else struggling in that damn war-torn wasteland... Even with you and Mother gone, I had to pretend I was fine. That I wasn't hurting. I had to fight every day of my sorry life and wear a smile while I did it!"

This was so moving to me that I started to follow Inigo's philosophy of always smiling to make everyone happy.

Inigo is now my favorite character in all of fictional media.

Edited by AlexTheClumsyGrandmaster

A big portion of characters from Fates, tbh. But I'll cite Camilla as an example, before the game I always thought she was in the game purely for fanservice and had no character other than bewbs. And while her character still doesn't largely stride away from being fanservice material, she has a backstory that made me find her a lot more sympathetic/care about her more, and it also helped me find her tendency of doting Corrin less creepy to some degree. Her being 100% awesome in gameplay also helps, too.

Lyon: In my first playtrough, I tought that Lyon was simply a good villain, but after replaying Sacred Stones, I noticed that wasn't just a good villain, but the character who was more similar to me than any other character that was created: this made Lyon, not only my favorite character in the Series, but also of all time.

Medeus: At first, to me, Medeus looked like a terrible villain in SD, but after playing Mistery of the Emblem, I understood that he was more interesting than I tought.

Leif(Thracia 776): Initially, I tought he was going to be a bland Lord like Eliwood, however, the more I progressed with the game, the more I liked him: He is just a child that tought he could save his People, becoming the hero they wanted, but his naive leads him to do some huge mistakes that will male him more strong and mature.

Lucina. At first, I wasn't too fond of her. But after playing Awakening more and digging through her supports, she really grew on me and is now my favorite Awakening character.

Tibarn. At first he seemed like kind of a jerk, but after a little while and after replaying the games and reading his dialogue more, I started liking him a lot more.

Wallace. At first, I never bothered recruiting him over Geitz or digging through his supports. But after I did? I found that Wallace is awesome.

Dozla. I never really used him all that much and I never really got his supports. But after I did, I thought he was awesome! He's one of the best and most entertaining characters in Sacred Stones and I question why I never discovered this sooner.

Leif(Thracia 776): Initially, I tought he was going to be a bland Lord like Eliwood, however, the more I progressed with the game, the more I liked him: He is just a child that tought he could save his People, becoming the hero they wanted, but his naive leads him to do some huge mistakes that will male him more strong and mature.

This.

And his relation with his two strategists (August and Dorias) leads to some of the game's most interresting parts.

Wallace. At first, I never bothered recruiting him over Geitz or digging through his supports. But after I did? I found that Wallace is awesome.

Dozla. I never really used him all that much and I never really got his supports. But after I did, I thought he was awesome! He's one of the best and most entertaining characters in Sacred Stones and I question why I never discovered this sooner.

Yeah, they're pretty great too.

​Though Geitz is also a character that grew on me. His backstory is quite good.

Nino. At first I thought her personality was just boring girl, but when I remembered her backstory, I realized how amazing she is.

Probably one of the strongest character in term of will.

This girl had basicallly all the worst thing happening to her, but she still is able to smile afterwards. I don't know many persons who could.

Renault's character is all this, but I always said his supports are the best rewards using him.

Similar with Isadora. AS a uni she's quite terrible, but she's a pretty good character.

Sain/Priscilla support did a lot for my view of both character.

It brought home how Sain is suffering from Dom Juan's curse. He is always 100% serious with all the girls he talk too.

That's quite tragic, actually.

More recently, Stahl. At first, I had zero interrest for him, but he ended up one of my favourite character. He's just an all-around good guy.

probably kellam from awakening.

i didn't like him for some reason during my first playthrough. though i did use him in battle, i never really "liked" his personality. it kind of seemed like a one-note one ("i'm completely invisible to everyone but i forgot") but during my second playthrough of awakening, i paired him with the avatar and his supports with them were some of the best supports in awakening, in my opinion (i even ended up marrying him to the avatar during that playthrough lmao)

Elincia: I was at first meh about her. Then after replaying RD, her character arc is without a doubt the best part of the game.

Sanaki: At first I thought she was annoying and spoiled, even after the Serenes scene. But then you realize that the poor kid is the ruler of the most powerful nation on Tellius at the age of ten, with all the stress that entails. And THEN you realize that she's essentially devoting her reign to fighting the racism plaguing her country. This is a huge burden being placed on such a young girl, and she takes it like a champ. Elincia thinks she has it tough? Try growing up around Lekain. And Valtome. He's totally a pedophile. She would actually probably be the most interesting character in the series if IS didn't devote so much time to Boring Gary St- fuck I mean Ike. Basically what I'm saying is that Sanaki and Elincia should have been the stars of Tellius. If Micaiah had any sense of perspective she'd be feeling like an inadequate cretin next to her younger sister.

Medeus: He's actually the most interesting Bigger Bad out there. Despite being basically the game's Evil Dragon, he is fundamentally seeking revenge for the slavery the humans inflicted on his people. If the game had more of a story focus he could serve as an interesting foil to Marth.

Takumi: The big one. I hated Takumi. I still hate him as a hero. But as an anti villain? He's the best part of Conquest's story by a long shot. At least until THAT scene. God, fuck that scene.

Gangrel: Actuallynthe best part of Awakening's story, for reasons similar to Medeus. His motivations actually feel quite real. If the time for Awakening DLC hadn't already passed, then a really interesting DLC route would be Gamgrel fighting Chrom's father, and his downfall into hatred. He is actually a much better foil for Chrom than Walhart; he could be who Chrom risks becoming. Keywords are could be. Awakening's story is a museum of missed opportunities.

probably kellam from awakening.

i didn't like him for some reason during my first playthrough. though i did use him in battle, i never really "liked" his personality. it kind of seemed like a one-note one ("i'm completely invisible to everyone but i forgot") but during my second playthrough of awakening, i paired him with the avatar and his supports with them were some of the best supports in awakening, in my opinion (i even ended up marrying him to the avatar during that playthrough lmao)

To be fair, he does play the "invisible" card A LOT.

Caeda. I used to be incredibly immature, and hated her because she is Marth's canon wife, even though I hardcore ship Caeda/Oguma. Now that I've actually played FE11 and FE12, I can say I was wrong about her. She has a certain strength and kindness about her, and she was a good unit in my game as well.

There's also Ninian for similar reasons, I hated her because of the overwhelming popularity Eliwood/Ninian has, a pairing I really hate. But it was wrong for me to take it out on Ninian. The game doesn't force you to pair her with Eliwood after all, and she and Nils have one of the saddest backstories in all of Fire Emblem.

Lastly I can list Sumia, again for similar reasons for the above 2. I was annoyed about how blatant the game was about pushing Chrom/Sumia, but again it was petty of me to blame Sumia for that. I see a lot of myself in her, and I am glad I gave her a chance instead of being a jerkface about it. Sumia is a great character, and a good unit as well.

The first time I played Sacred Stones, I thought Neimi was a crybaby. However, I now recognize that it was because of a tragedy (I didn't pay attention to the story, as I had yet to actually by the game at that time.)

I, too, didn't like Medeus as a character, but then I realized that his mustache twirling is because Gharnef ripped his own hair out and made it for him. Had Shadow Dragon done more to update the story, Medeus could've gone beyond what he was in FE1. Were it not for Gharnef's pettiness, I think Medeus would've forgiven both Anri and Marth. But no, Gharnef created the abomination Shadow Dragon Medeus, barring the tragic villain from getting any sort of closure or understanding with Marth.

I also didn't like Eliwood at first. More because I thought he was naive, but once I went through FE7 again, I realize there are a lot of lessons that other lords have had to learn that Eliwood learned the easy way, or didn't have to. Eliwood isn't afraid to kill people, but he also holds no axe bias (I doubt Lyn would've ever been friends with Hector if she was raised by Lord Hausen.)

I may not like Tharja outright, but after piecing together her supports, I'm a lot more sympathetic towards her. She seems to be really socially awkward, and has issues regarding what image she wants to project, which is in direct conflict with her actual feelings. It looks like she's trying to stay away from however she was raised, though she doesn't have it down pat. I'm sure I'll get some responses which will conflate this with "you approve of child abuse".

Interesting topic! Honestly, a lot of Fates characters. But I particularly agree with this:

Mine was Arthur.

From what I understand, they flanderized him in the official translation, which is unfortunate. But I'll always respect Arthur for the man he was supposed to be.

I didn't want to even *touch* Arthur, because he looked like a ridiculous 1-note comedy relief character. His personality is pretty flanderized, for sure. But then I grinded his supports with Azura to get his kid, and I didn't mind him so much. He treated Azura with respect and kindness, and seemed like actually quite reserved a polite a dude, despite the "bumbling hero" persona. Probably won't go out of my way to use him in the future, but I don't mind him anymore.

Then there's Takumi. I played Conquest first, and Takumi as a villain is just ridiculous. I got annoyed by him real quick. Then I played with him in Revelations, and his personality got a bit better (for like no reason) and he was too good to not use. So I don't mind him too much anymore either.

Here's my a short list:

[spoiler=Fates]

• Joshua (FE 8): He just didn't want the role he was born into. It's not that he outright hated the idea. He just wasn't ready.
  • Ephraim: Same as above prettymuch. He becomes king more or less because there was literally no one else. LOL.
  • Naesala (FE 10): Once the reason for his personality is explained, it all makes sense.
  • Soren (FE 9): His support with Ike. Well, damn. Certain things certainly make sense in RD.
  • Pelleas (FE 10): The guy was a puppet but played his role to the end. I kept him alive in recurring playthroughs.
  • Sephrain/Lehran (FE 10): He was Lawful Evil but he played the part so well =O
  • Yune (FE 10): She was Chaotic Good. She even had the presence of mind to protect Ike and Micaiah's forces from her other self's power as soon as she was unsealed XD
  • Henry (FE 11): Had the misfortune of being born with powerful magic. I think he is also the only recruitable Plegian with clothes pretty close in design to Robin's.
  • Priam (FE 11): The only proof we have Ike eventually settled down, got married and had kids. LOL.
  • Camilla: See below quote. Saw her B-Support with Niles and was blown away.
  • Peri: Saw her A-Support with Odin. Turns out she's bipolar =O
  • Solei: Known in the west as the first openly gay FE character, she is also literally Female Laslow/Owain. LOL.
  • Nyx: Her B and A-Supports with Leo reminded me of Laurent from Awakening: like Nyx, he is older than the other Awakening Children but in his case he was sent even further back in time than Lucina was.
  • Anankos' Soul: How can you not like him?

That is my short list. LOL.

A big portion of characters from Fates, tbh. But I'll cite Camilla as an example, before the game I always thought she was in the game purely for fanservice and had no character other than bewbs. And while her character still doesn't largely stride away from being fanservice material, she has a backstory that made me find her a lot more sympathetic/care about her more, and it also helped me find her tendency of doting Corrin less creepy to some degree. Her being 100% awesome in gameplay also helps, too.

You're referring to Camilla's B-Support Convo with Niles. I just saw it yesterday. She tells all prettymuch

Edited by eclipse
Dude, Fates was just released in Europe

I was always going to like Arthur, his archetype appeals to me but he's hardly a respectable character. And yet now I do respect him...kinda.

Arthur isn't just a HERO OF JUSTICE because he is a fool but also because he's just a really good guy who really does seem to help out everyone he can. From simple (of screen) things like helping old ladies and finding kids for frantic parents, to sharing his clumsy experience with Felicia and taking physical punishment for Azura's sake.

As a villain I still think Gangrel is kinda bad, it comes with the territory of being an Awakening villain fighting no less then four other villains for screentime. I only started liking him after he got redeemed and that really surprised me. I thought recruiting villains through spotpass and having them be ''redeemed'' was a dumb idea that wouldn't work out. And then Gangrel got a chance to Emyrin. To my surprise he really DID manage to come off as redeemed and with that he had a true place in the army.

Also its hard not to welcome someone saying ''Ha! Your mom was a contest!''

Maybe I should try and share some of my thoughts too.

Marisa (Sacred Stones) - I used her quite a bit in my Sacred stones playthroughs, and I thought her character was the most bland piece of crap ever. Mostly because everyone said she was bland. I decided to dig up all her supports, and I like her A lot more now as a result. She is a little bland-seeming on the outside, but she's just "A poor conversationalist" with a lonely upbringing. The fact that she had a reason for her inability to make high conversation besides "oh, I'm tsundere or I don't like people and grow into them" shtick. Plus, she has a goal and something that she works towards - something that only few others in the game (as far as I've seen) outside of the main story have under their sleeve. Lastly, I'm a sucker for the stupid romance tales. Not gonna say anymore, except I connect with Marisa on a whole other level with being shy and reclusive about feelings.

Soren. I used to think he was a stupid dickish character (types that I don't like include these and people who f*ck with allies or use them as bait) but after playing around with the guy more, and seeing his character as a whole, he's grown on me. Shinon is still the better douche though. ;)

I can 't think of anyone in fates except Takumi. Boss that is an archer? Boring. But Birthright. Takumi. Fujiin Yumi. Death to the Unicorns! (Sorry Unicorns)

Lyon (Sacred Stones) - I thought he was just a weak idiot who was possesed by the demon king. Well, that's true, but his character is so much more than that. The only problem is that with both eirika and ephraim's stories, his character changes, and his dialogue in chapter 18 confuses me EVERY time I play the game. Oh well. The future cannot be stopped, lyon. Megaquake is too powerful.

Lastly, Bartre. I used to hate him because yknow, Shit unit. But I read his supports, made him use bows all day everyday, and He's probably my 4th favorite character in FE's 6 and 7. Just 2 supports changed me. Bartre + Cannas, and Bartre + Cath. Plus that awesome mustache.

Edited by Tullus(daScrub)

Virion: He's one of the weakest Awakening units, so I never used him much and all I had to work off of were his story dialogue where he's a bit of a ponce. But then I forced myself to, and he's actually got some great supports. I love his ones with Robin, where he shows his tactical ability, provides a legitimate flaw for Robin, and helps teach Robin something. Man is smooth in all the best ways if you can cut through his tacky veneer.

Niles: While he's all shades of screwed up, I really like some of his supports where he shows himself to be very insightful and even helpful, particularly with Elise.

Colm: When I first got him on my first playthrough of Sacred Stones, I really hated him for how he treated Neimi. Sure she was a bit ridiculous, but he was rude, unhelpful, and just mean. I slammed him on the bench as soon as I could on that run, only using him for chests. But after bringing myself to use him, I found him a lot better if you let him support people. Still kind of a jerk though.

Forrest: I LOVE FORREST. Seriously, one of if not the best characters in Fates. After only seeing his art and nothing else I thought he'd just be your standard trap character, but the guy is amazing! He's so well-written in every bit of dialogue I see him in. He's not delusional about being outside the ordinary, and occasionally he struggles with it, but he stays true to himself and powers on, even in the face of his father's resistance and shame (at first). Not only that, but he's a great prince, compassionate and dignified. Everything he says I either want to high five him or squeeze him. Even though Elise is a better unit (and a pretty awesome character too) I try to use Forrest as much as possible.

I could gush about Forrest all day, and I thought he was just going to be a bland retread of a tired trope. Never has my opinion of a character changed so swiftly in just their recruitment dialogue.

Edited by Lethal Llama