FE4 Translation Patch (Open Beta v7)

Some things I've noticed in Ch10 related events. They might not be errors but I'd like to hear if anyone else has experience with these.

1. About Tyrfing between gen 1 and 2. SF says: "

• Items from the first generation retain their Kill count and usage in the second generation (except the Tilfing, which has full uses if it wasn’t broken)."

I thought this was how it worked and I even have vague memories of getting a broken

Tyrfing

from Palmark. However, today I played on a file that had a broken gen 1

Tyrfing

, and Palmark gave me a 50 use one. Could this be related to playing with a different patch or am I simply remembering things incorrectly?

edit: turns out Vylon's death could've caused me receiving a broken Tyrfing. that's one mystery solved.

2. About the Ch10 Life Ring event after defeating the boss. In the old patch, I remembered that I could trigger this event just about anywhere near the water. In the new one, there only seems to be one tile where I can do it. I checked this with an old ROM. Was this deliberate?

Edited by Mekkah

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'm trying a different approach now. I used your save file, 3rd slot, and sent Nanna into the Arena with the Iron sword. And when she leveled up, she got +1 HP, +1 Luck, and +1 Def.

Can you try this patch file to see if you get the same result, and other expected results? Or anyone else reading this, if you feel adventurous or want to help out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1rzvpec5ran5i2w/project_naga_beta_6_x1.zip

I was playing a new file using this patch and Lex managed to get two points of speed from the arena... off of his 20% speed growth. Uh oh... Load the save in slot 2 and send him into the arena and you'll see.

Fire Emblem - Genealogy of the Holy War (open beta 6x1).zip

Edited by Hozu

Thanks for this patch it's awesome to finally being able to watch the ending without having to look at a translation next to the game.

There is still something that troubles me. When a character levels up, in the unpatched version, the "+1s" appears then disapear. I checked my japanese cartridge on my SNES and the behavior is the same. Now Iplayed the patch on higan which is supposed to be the most accurate SNES emulator and with this patch, the "+1s" "stay" until the level up sequence ends. Is this some bug or is it some voluntary modification? I don't have anything against it if that's the case, but I think it is weird to modify graphics behaviors that aren't there for translation sake.

Thanks for this patch it's awesome to finally being able to watch the ending without having to look at a translation next to the game.

There is still something that troubles me. When a character levels up, in the unpatched version, the "+1s" appears then disapear. I checked my japanese cartridge on my SNES and the behavior is the same. Now Iplayed the patch on higan which is supposed to be the most accurate SNES emulator and with this patch, the "+1s" "stay" until the level up sequence ends. Is this some bug or is it some voluntary modification? I don't have anything against it if that's the case, but I think it is weird to modify graphics behaviors that aren't there for translation sake.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, July 28, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, July 28, 2016 - No reason given

(sorry for the multipost, the connexion was slow and I thought it wasn't posted, I haven't found the delete button so if I admin over here can delete this)

Edited by Mrnuage

(sorry for the multipost, the connexion was slow and I thought it wasn't posted, I haven't found the delete button so if I admin over here can delete this)

Intentional change, to be more like later FE games. It's not entirely uncommon for an official localization to add features that the original didn't have, so there is some form of precedence when it comes to this patch.

Edited by Hozu

How can I patch this in ZSnes? I've been playing through the game and just found out about this new patch. I'd rather not loose my progress.

I know I can rename my save states to be compatible with a newly downloaded rom.

Edited by TheNerdyGinger

This patch will not work in ZSNES. Something about the patch being too big. It works fine on a Wii, which is how I play it (my laptop hates SNES9x, which is a better emulator.)

This patch will not work in ZSNES. Something about the patch being too big. It works fine on a Wii, which is how I play it (my laptop hates SNES9x, which is a better emulator.)

I believe that any other reasonably console accurate emulator (higan, bizhawk, ect.) works too.

Edited by sirmola

WTooBxW.png

The line prior to the currently displayed line didn't clear out properly in the chapter 7 intro. This bug does not exist in the v5 patch, however.

Edited by Hozu

Has anyone been able to get the game running on an Acekard 2i? I know the patch kinda limits the emulators that can run it, but has anyone had any luck?

WHich emulater are you using on it (my impression was that multiple different emulaters worked on flashcarts)? THe main compatibility issue is that the patch expands the ROM to 8MB, which is a different type of rom that many emulaters cant handle. You will have to do hunting to find an emulater that can handle ROMs over 4MB

as much as i love this translation patch, i think it would be better to leave bugs and glitches untouched, or to release 2 versions of the patch: one with fixed bugs and another without fixing anything

i know it's a bug and it was not supossed to be how the game would behave, but i would rather play the exact same experience just translated

just a thought

Is it normal for the patch to auto skip the Sigurd BBQ scene after Ch. 5 or was it just me clicking select to fast? Sorry for the stupid question, I just felt like asking.

as much as i love this translation patch, i think it would be better to leave bugs and glitches untouched, or to release 2 versions of the patch: one with fixed bugs and another without fixing anything

i know it's a bug and it was not supossed to be how the game would behave, but i would rather play the exact same experience just translated

just a thought

don't get me wrong, i can absolutely see where you're coming from, but i just don't agree. i figure that if we can fix harmful glitches, then it's absolutely in our best interests to do just that to improve the experience; the fewer glitches people have to contend with, the better. i don't believe in or plan on actively tweaking stats or gameplay balance by any means (with the one exception of correcting hilda's holy blood, which is basically cosmetic and doesn't impact her gameplay) and what we're aiming for here is still the same gameplay experinece as what you'd get in a vanilla jp rom, just with fewer bugs. bug fixes certainly aren't unprecedented as far as fan translations go

at the very least, i don't see releasing two versions as a good solution at all; we already have to juggle releases for both headered and unheadered roms in both ips and xdelta format, and fragmenting the project into two versions is just a needless complication on top of that, particularly when one version by its very nature would be inferior to the other

the solution there is to identify and rectify those bugs in turn, not to throw our hands up in the air and say "there's nothing we can do so we're not even going to try, enjoy your rng depleting itself and screwing you over, everybody". there's a reason we're in beta here

the solution there is to identify and rectify those bugs in turn, not to throw our hands up in the air and say "there's nothing we can do so we're not even going to try, enjoy your rng depleting itself and screwing you over, everybody". there's a reason we're in beta here

I have to agree with that. Just because the original devs didn't playtest very well, doesn't mean we shouldn't. Also, official localizations fix bugs all the time.

Well I think what should generally be asked is if those bugs have any value in their current incarnation. Considering that there exist workarounds to avoid the arena levelup problem (exiting then reentering the arena before every levelup), a workaround for the Lewyn!Ced speed bug (don't restart the game once you've started Chapter 8), Seliph authority (restart the game before starting Chapter 6), Sylvia Defender Sword glitch (save the game before moving anyone during your turn, reset, enter), and so forth, it seems pretty arbitrary to say that the patch shouldn't fix these things, especially when nobody is going to want to have them affecting them if they can help it.

However I don't think anyone's going to advocate removing the Julia x Seliph jealousy thing since that's kind of amusing and you have to go out of your way to trigger it anyway.

Edited by Irysa