FE4 Translation Patch (Open Beta v7)

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay i just have to say: if you're seriously still wringing your hands about vergil being Bad And Wrong And Evil four years later, after it didn't even make it into the goddamn patch, i can't exactly say you're making a convincing case for taking your worries seriously

(op updated with beta 7)

It's why we can't have nice things.

Also I approve of the bugfixes that should and likely /would/ be fixed in a remade game. So, yeah.

ooh, so there it is! i vividly recall running into something like this it years and years ago, when i first played fe4 on a pretty old build of the old translation*. at the time, i think i managed to get around it by just upgrading to one of twilkitri's more recent serlis-era builds. in hindsight i was never able to figure out what specifically i'd done wrong aside from dismount seliph, so it's kind of reassuring to see it documented like that on the wikia

*christ, i wish i remembered how old this one is, if only for Dumb Historical Purposes

Edited by bookofholsety

I missed my chance to get a screenshot, but in version 7 in chapter 5, if you kill Reptor before Aida's army turns to other, his death quote shows the pre-battle conversation with Lex and Langbalt in the same chapter instead. Also, this only happens if your have the real battle animations on, not the map animations. Again, sorry I didn't get a screenshot.

Just finished the game with your translation patch, and it is very well done! Congratulations on your work, you should all be really proud of yourselves!

Since I played the game using the 5th beta of the patch, some of this may or may not have been corrected, but whatever:

At chapter 10 (the best chapter in the game, in my opinion :D), in the conversation between Leif and Nanna, there's not really a typo in it, but I've linked a screenshot where the absence of a comma kinda annoyed me when I read one sentence. No big deal, though.

However, the only technical problem in this patch IS a big deal, sadly. At the ending of the game It's in English and doesn't freeze, at least , Starting with the paired ending between Patty and Lester, the text suddenly went really weird. After that, it sorta corrected itself, but for the rest of the ending, the text was always presented like the second picture, until I was presented by the playthrough stats. It was really... strange.

Still, you did an excellent job on this patch! Thanks a LOT for your hard work, it made me appreciate FE4 even more! :D

Link to the screenshots: http://imgur.com/gallery/dme3fyQ/new

http://imgur.com/vkl1jsd

However, the only technical problem in this patch IS a big deal, sadly. At the ending of the game It's in English and doesn't freeze, at least , Starting with the paired ending between Patty and Lester, the text suddenly went really weird. After that, it sorta corrected itself, but for the rest of the ending, the text was always presented like the second picture, until I was presented by the playthrough stats. It was really... strange.

could i have your save file, so i can take a look at this? i think i've got an idea of what happened here, but i'd like to test out the save file to make sure

There you go! I attached my final save file to this post. Here's my Gen I pairings, just in case you need them:

Aideen-Jamke

Ayra-Noish

Rachesis-Azel

Sylvia-Claude

Erin-Lex

Taillte-Lewyn

Brigid-Holyn

http://imgur.com/a/6Zehp

The status screen text when displaying dead people is garbled. (To access, open the Valkyrie menu at home, but instead of pressing A to revive, press X to view status. The Condition field displays gibberish. Names are also cut off on the are you sure screen.

There you go! I attached my final save file to this post. Here's my Gen I pairings, just in case you need them:

Aideen-Jamke

Ayra-Noish

Rachesis-Azel

Sylvia-Claude

Erin-Lex

Taillte-Lewyn

Brigid-Holyn

thanks much. it's just as i thought: pretty typical missing line break shenanigans. should be fairly easy to correct

(incidentally, just for my own reference, noticed another issue pop up: oifey's farewell skips the part with his wife. i get the feeling that that's the sort of thing dds should attend to, lest i break it even more)

Do you think you could make it so Balmung is sellable so I won't have to abuse a glitch if I want Holyn!Larcei and Ulster to be able to wield it?

Edited by Matthewtheman

that's definitely not going to happen, since it veers too far into actively changing gameplay outside of correcting glitches for my tastes. besides, the balmung transfer glitch isn't particularly hard to execute

that's definitely not going to happen, since it veers too far into actively changing gameplay outside of correcting glitches for my tastes. besides, the balmung transfer glitch isn't particularly hard to execute

I don't know about that, since getting Shanan killed while he's equipped with Balmung is not exactly easy, plus since Ced and Cairpre are the only kids capable of wielding the Valkyrie Staff, it can be performed at the earliest in chapter 8. But I can understand your reasoning for not doing that, and I'm not exactly surprised, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I don't know about that, since getting Shanan killed while he's equipped with Balmung is not exactly easy, plus since Ced and Cairpre are the only kids capable of wielding the Valkyrie Staff, it can be performed at the earliest in chapter 8. But I can understand your reasoning for not doing that, and I'm not exactly surprised, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

If you want to get Shanan killed with the Balmung equipped, you could just put him against Arion in chapter 9 since Arion gets +60 hit and avoid because of his leadership and weapon triangle. Arion can easily one-round Shanan if he gets his 36% adept activation. He can really do that with anyone.

alternatively: sacrifice him to blume at the end of chapter 7. ovo's cavalry at the start of chapter 8 might even be able to do the job eventually with their range and wta. imo it's not all that difficult to sacrifice shanan to the Balmung Glitch Gods, and just about any scenario where you put One Man against Overwhelming Odds will probably do it eventually

I don't know if this is a known/fixed bug yet but Tinni's map sprite in the chapter she joins is of a thunder mage, and not her own class, then again, it's a very minor detai.

Btw, I find the lack of "Arvis, you dastard!" disturbing.

The official translation is "Arvis, Damn you!" The latter is much stronger in terms of Sigurd's hatred, because he calls down the hatred of God on Arvis, versus just calling him illegitimate."

But "You dastard!" is iconic, and official localizations have always and continue to use the word dastard liberally, while recent (i.e. ones rated "T" or higher) releases will also use stronger words like bastard or damn as well, showing that dastard isn't some form of self censorship.

it's iconic because it's a shite, tone-deaf line translation that undermines what's supposed to be a serious scene. as amusing as i find it, it's one of the many reasons that this translation exists at all

while we're on the subject, fun fact

GA4hN4G.png

Edited by bookofholsety

it's iconic because it's a shite, tone-deaf line translation that undermines what's supposed to be a serious scene. as amusing as i find it, it's one of the many reasons that this translation exists at all

Not to mention dastard is an actual word that doesn't really fit the intended "bastard" word. I don't really call Arvis a coward (Based on one definition). :v