FE4 Translation Patch (Open Beta v7)

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks great, thanks for posting that! It's good that there's at least one way to get it running on a handheld.

I don't have any news or new details yet, sorry. I think Bookofholsety still wants to polish/finish the script for FE4. And I'm currently working on two other translation projects right now (Tengai Makyou Zero and Ganbare Goemon 2), and haven't looked at FE5 since my preliminary test back in April 2016. https://twitter.com/DDSTrans/status/723762842382422017

Oh, Bookofholsety IS considering polishes to the script? Cool; do you have any idea whether or not he looks at the posts in this thread? I have a number of very thorough comments on how I'd alter the Prologue, and some of Chapter 1 :):

iSGxjMe.jpg

Final kill and turn count only take half the screen for some reason.
No idea whether it's an issue with the patch, the ROM or the emulation. I was playing on Android using Retroarch with Snes9x core.

Shall I post the savestate?

Edited by Vaximillian

I will talk your ear off about why Erinys >> Erin.  But that's not for this topic.

Instead, I wanted to ask this: How many of the localized names will be used?  Some of the characters got minor changes (Silvia), while others were really overhauled (Holyn).

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

I will talk your ear off about why Erinys >> Erin.  But that's not for this topic.

Instead, I wanted to ask this: How many of the localized names will be used?  Some of the characters got minor changes (Silvia), while others were really overhauled (Holyn).

He used Bolt Sword instead of Levin Sword, so there is no guarantee all of them will be used.

I personally have no preference for one name over the other in most cases, but I really really hope that this translation adopts all of the newly localised names given in the Heroes page.

If not, can someone show me how to edit text for my own mini-hack?

Yeah, like I said I figured it was a mythical thing. But.... how did they decide to use THAT when in Japanese Holyn is.... well, Holyn. Or Horin. It's not like Delmud/Diarmid or Deirdre/Diadora where you can see the root name being used. If anything I'd think Chulainn would've been given to Cuan :Y

It's likely a weak way to get across that he's really Isaacian given Ulster/Scathach. It's still a weird move, given he's not even a spear user* and the Gaebolg actually exists and in the hands of someone in his same generation.

*unless a remake happens and he gets a branch promotion to something with spears then maybe it'll turn out to be brilliant.

I mean, FE is the series that made Almace and Excalibur, both swords, into an axe and a tome, respectively, so I doubt they care about being faithful to their namesakes.

9 hours ago, CappnRob said:

Yeah, like I said I figured it was a mythical thing. But.... how did they decide to use THAT when in Japanese Holyn is.... well, Holyn. Or Horin. It's not like Delmud/Diarmid or Deirdre/Diadora where you can see the root name being used. If anything I'd think Chulainn would've been given to Cuan :Y

This is how Cuchulainn is meant to be pronounced. Cut off the first syllable and it's actually fairly close to Holyn.

4 hours ago, hanhnn said:

You can't explain how Gandolf = Munnir or Mahnya = Annand so don't force yourself to believe in ridiculous stuff.

Bookofholsety pointed out the English sites are by no means end all be all because for example, Awakening's English site listed Celica as Cecilia.

multiple times.

i really doubt they're gonna change any of the Awakening names in the actual release on account of them having been used consistently in promotional babble for neigh on 4 years now, but maybe not.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

lets stop being dense people. The awakening DLC names clearly have as much respect for the source material as the the awakening DLC artwork.

Lachesis is to Rachesis

as 

Fa la la la la la la la la is to Fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra

Edited by NOTchazbc24

2 hours ago, NOTchazbc24 said:

lets stop being dense people. The awakening DLC names clearly have as much respect for the source material as the the awakening DLC artwork.

Lachesis is to Rachesis

as 

Fa la la la la la la la la is to Fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra

Nintendo has consistently used the names as shown in Awakening anytime they had to bring it up in the past four years. That's why it slowly sank in the names were inarguably official, because Nintendo consistently used them after Awakening.

not only that, but as I said before and as bookofholsety pointed out English Websites can be flat out unreliable.

even discounting the Awakening names there's a few FE7 appearing characters that have their names listed differently than what they actually are in the game, so its not unreasonable to be at least cautious (something Bookofholsety wisely decided to do). The website itself has flagrant disregard for a few names localized from official non awakening releases already so the entire thing is called into question (Murdock is the one everyone points to because the name on the website sounds ridiculous to most, I take it)

opinon time: Raquesis sounds like an actual name anyway. It's not Rachesis; they took an intentional liberty with the name in order to give it a flair of nobility. Lachesis sounds like some kind of African snake, or maybe I'm pronouncing it wrong. Yes I know what it's referencing mythologically speaking but Raquesis is stuck up enough the fancy ass French flair fits.

actually, a google search revealed Lachesis Actually IS a genus of snakes, so that's probably why it sounds like that to me.

i don't think we're arguing how good the names are here. I don't think we were ever arguing that until now because it devolves into a pointless pissing contest that never can end.

we're arguing what's official and Raquesis has been consistent for 4 years now along with the other Awakening names, combining that with the whole Murdock/Niime etc. debacles and caution should be strongly advised until the actual game itself launches with these characters in it

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems