FE4 Translation Patch (Open Beta v7)

Just now, Raven Sykes said:

I have tried both, does Heathered or Unheathered matter?

Yes, you have to use the headered patch on a headered rom and same for unheadered. I don't think there's any way to know which rom is which until you try them.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Raven Sykes said:

I've tried both, neither work, and I've tried many ROMS, anyone here have any sites with ROMS that are guaranteed to work?

Ha, thats not a good idea to post that here :)

Links to rom sites aren't allowed

I seem to be having a problem.

I saw this post and I thought "hey, why don't I just patch it on my PC and send it to my phone so i can play it wherever." (Keep in mind I've done this with multiple games before) So I get my clean Japanese copy of the game, test it out beforehand to make sure (surely enough it was), I check if its headered or not headered which it was, so then i do the patching process with lunar ips and when i move that file to my phone and open it with my Super Retro 16 emulator, it works.

So you may be asking what's the problem?

After I finished the prologue of the game i decided to take a break. Keep in mind I saved twice at the beginning of chapter 1 (when you're able to move your units). So I come back a little later and to my horror when i booted the game there was no save file, just the new game option. My first guess was something was up with my emulator, so I opened up another game, got to a point where I can save and when I left that game and returned it actually saved. So the emulator wasn't the problem.

My next try was using another emulator, so I used Snes9x+. But instead of it just working and not being able to save, what happened was I couldn't even open the game. So I THEN decided to get another fresh Jap ROM of the game from somewhere else and this time open it in Snes9x+ to make sure. It works. So I do the same exact patching process, making sure everything was right, which it was, but when i finished patching the game and opened it one more time, it didn't open again! THIS emulator isn't the problem either as I not only can open the Japanese ROM, but can open other games without a problem.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm criticizing the patch everyone worked on because in the contrary, it's really amazing from what I've seen so far which is why i want to play it, but it can't be the ROM's or the emulators because of the steps i used to make sure, I even reinstalled my emulators twice. Also I've patched multiple games and played them on my phone emulators countless times so I doubt it's a mobile/mobile emulator problem.

Sorry for the long post, been trying so many things all day and I'm just a little flustered. Any help is appreciated a lot :).

EDIT: If it helps any, unlike other games where just opening them or making save files makes a couple of files show up, (ie. Earthbound.zip, Earthbound.frz when i open that game up.) it never made any files on my phone besides the "Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu (J).zip" file even when opened on the only emulator that works, which is Super Retro 16.

Edited by TooMuchToast

10 minutes ago, TooMuchToast said:

I saw this post and I thought "hey, why don't I just patch it on my PC and send it to my phone so i can play it wherever." (Keep in mind I've done this with multiple games before) So I get my clean Japanese copy of the game, test it out beforehand to make sure (surely enough it was), I check if its headered or not headered which it was, so then i do the patching process with lunar ips and when i move that file to my phone and open it with my Super Retro 16 emulator, it works.

After I finished the prologue of the game i decided to take a break. Keep in mind I saved twice at the beginning of chapter 1 (when you're able to move your units). So I come back a little later and to my horror when i booted the game there was no save file, just the new game option. My first guess was something was up with my emulator, so I opened up another game, got to a point where I can save and when I left that game and returned it actually saved. So the emulator wasn't the problem.

My next try was using another emulator, so I used Snes9x+. But instead of it just working and not being able to save, what happened was I couldn't even open the game. So I THEN decided to get another fresh Jap ROM of the game from somewhere else and this time open it in Snes9x+ to make sure. It works. So I do the same exact patching process, making sure everything was right, which it was, but when i finished patching the game and opened it one more time, it didn't open again! THIS emulator isn't the problem either as I not only can open the Japanese ROM, but can open other games without a problem.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm criticizing the patch everyone worked on because in the contrary, it's really amazing from what I've seen so far which is why i want to play it, but it can't be the ROM's or the emulators because of the steps i used to make sure, I even reinstalled my emulators twice. Also I've patched multiple games and played them on my phone emulators countless times so I doubt it's a mobile/mobile emulator problem.

Sorry for the long post, been trying so many things all day and I'm just a little flustered. Any help is appreciated a lot :).

EDIT: If it helps any, unlike other games where just opening them or making save files makes a couple of files show up, (ie. Earthbound.zip, Earthbound.frz when i open that game up.) it never made any files on my phone besides the "Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu (J).zip" file even when opened on the only emulator that works, which is Super Retro 16.

Unzip the file and load the *.sfc or *.smc file, depend on your rom.

Don't load zip file on phone.

3 hours ago, hanhnn said:

Unzip the file and load the *.sfc or *.smc file, depend on your rom.

Don't load zip file on phone.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to mention that's one of the many things I tried. I tried patching the smc and putting it back in the zip, and I also tried just patching the smc and opening it there but it also didn't work.

Is there any differences between patching with ips and delta? Or is it just preference?

EDIT: Looks like it doesn't matter, just tried delta and still not opening :/

Edited by TooMuchToast

This doesn't work on SNE9X for PSP. I used LIPS for the patch and it brings up to 14.8 MB. I'm guessing that's why. I used Gharnef's patch and that works but I want to use this one. Can anyone help me?

3 hours ago, CthulUWU said:

This doesn't work on SNE9X for PSP. I used LIPS for the patch and it brings up to 14.8 MB. I'm guessing that's why. I used Gharnef's patch and that works but I want to use this one. Can anyone help me?

I think that's the problem as it bumps up the size of the ROM to 8 MB and it won't run on my phone, but it runs on my PC just fine. Also Gharnef's patch works fine on my phone as well. Anyone have a rough estimate as to the pro's and con's of Gharnef's patch compared to this one, that would help a lot in helping me decide whether I should play this game or not. Thanks in advance :).

2 hours ago, TooMuchToast said:

I think that's the problem as it bumps up the size of the ROM to 8 MB and it won't run on my phone, but it runs on my PC just fine. Also Gharnef's patch works fine on my phone as well. Anyone have a rough estimate as to the pro's and con's of Gharnef's patch compared to this one, that would help a lot in helping me decide whether I should play this game or not. Thanks in advance :).

Gharnef's patch does not expand the rom size so any emulator can run it, even outdated emulator or real console.

This new patch, however it doubles the rom size, so only a few emulators can run it, such as higan or snes9x, others will fail miserably.

10 hours ago, hanhnn said:

Gharnef's patch does not expand the rom size so any emulator can run it, even outdated emulator or real console.

This new patch, however it doubles the rom size, so only a few emulators can run it, such as higan or snes9x, others will fail miserably.

Would it be worth playing Gharnef's patch then? Or is it glitchy and poorly translated? I looked on forum posts of it and all i hear is that it's "decent".

1 hour ago, TooMuchToast said:

Would it be worth playing Gharnef's patch then? Or is it glitchy and poorly translated?

Iirc, it's only 90% done (although I think it's only the endgame credits that aren't translated), but everything else is fully translated, so it should be fine. 

On 7/4/2017 at 9:23 PM, TooMuchToast said:

On my android phone I use an emulator called "John SNES". It's of surprisingly of good quality, but it displays banner ads in the lite version, which updated to prevent circumvention of said ads. You can always illicitly download an old release and play it on airplane mode, though

• 4 weeks later...

THe old patch is compleatly usable, except that the game freezes during the ending cutscene.

Because very few (possibly none, IDK) official SNES roms are 8 MB, only the most accurate emulators bother to include support for reading roms of that size. It is possible that someone coded that feature into a phone emulator, but i know nothing about the mobile emulation scene.

Edited by sirmola

If I may make a suggestion, I think it would be nice if you could also disable the requirement to have a finished savegame to access the hard AI.

As an additional question (in relation to the size of the rom), would it be possible to have this work on console? I'm getting into making english carts of some games I like because I like original hardware and playing on CRTs (I played the SFC FE games and gaiden on the original cartridges). So If I burned EPROMs would the SNES be able to handle this rom size?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 8:22 PM, Galap said:

If I may make a suggestion, I think it would be nice if you could also disable the requirement to have a finished savegame to access the hard AI.

As an additional question (in relation to the size of the rom), would it be possible to have this work on console? I'm getting into making english carts of some games I like because I like original hardware and playing on CRTs (I played the SFC FE games and gaiden on the original cartridges). So If I burned EPROMs would the SNES be able to handle this rom size?

Like I said, This is a legitimate SNES rom size. THe problem is not with the rom, the promblem is with the emulator. The actual SNES should be able to handle this no problem, although check the max rom size your cartredge burning equipment can handle, and what the capacity is on the blank cart that you are using.

Edited by sirmola

9 hours ago, sirmola said:

Like I said, This is a legitimate SNES rom size. THe problem is not with the rom, the promblem is with the emulator. The actual SNES should be able to handle this no problem, although check the max rom size your cartredge burning equipment can handle, and what the capacity is on the blank cart that you are using.

Thanks! I'd have to use two 32mbit chips, which is definitely doable with a little extra work.

14 hours ago, Galap said:

Thanks! I'd have to use two 32mbit chips, which is definitely doable with a little extra work.

Just double check before doing it. I just checked, and no official snes game goes over 6 megabytes (with fan translations tending to only be 6 or less). At 8 megabytes, this patch is the sort of thing that breaks second party stuff that assumed 6 megabyte max rom size, given that almost nothing is this big.

Edited by sirmola

• 3 weeks later...