/r/fireemblem Popularity Poll Results

Interesting results. I think since it's Favourite/Least Favourite a lot of the characters with a "reason" to dislike them get a lot of votes that way. Takumi, Azama, Charlotte have pretty divisive personalities/actions and a near equal favourite & least favourite votes.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went and voted.

Favorite/Least: Leo/Gunter, Setsuna/Felicia and Forrest/Midori

The results aren't really that interesting to me. They're quite predictable, actually. Particularly, the first gen males and the second gen. I will admit that I didn't expect Ophelia to be on top but, when thinking about it, again, it is kind of predictable. If Forrest didn't exist or wasn't as good as he is, I would have chosen her. I find it hilarious that I am literally the only person that voted Midori as my least favorite kid character.

On a side note, I find it hard to insert myself pause? into either of the Corrins because I still don't think they are self-inserts. They are characters that we can slightly customize; they already have their own predetermined kind of shit personality, meaning they are their own not that great established character.

Her past doesn't entirely excuse her actions; plus, the game itself generally handles it way too lightly.

At least we got a certain awesome Jakob quote out of their support:

"Give up. I can brew tea and murder."

There's a difference between explaining and excusing. Slapping judgments on people without bothering to understand why they act they way they do is one cause of personal misunderstandings.

I'd love to see a poll where people have to explain why they like/dislike a character, and wouldn't mind a weighted poll (top 3 or something).

I don't self insert into Corn either, but it doesn't stop the game from treating them like one, what with the my room stuff all directly target player and shit. Advertising, too, tells the player that YOU are now the main character. Despite the lack of personality customization/choices beyond the one choice making them not great at functioning as a player insert, the intent is there.

A significant portion of the fanbase also treats them that way with the whole "my waifu/husbando" thing. I can't say about if it's most of the fanbase or not because I've never conducted a proper statistical study on this, but it's significant enough I see it in a lot of fanwork and the such.

also do you really want me to go into detail about my trashiness for ryoma because there will be academic papers and it might be cited

Edited by Thor Odinson

I find Peri entertaining because I don't expect or really want the game to handle her with subtlety or consequences. I love Fates' story telling style and I really find her fun to watch. She's airless crazy, but real people aren't being affected by her actions in any way. I don't really consider fictional horrible deeds to have much weight or effect on my life, which is why I can enjoy characters like her and Rhajat so easily.

There are some series, like Suikoden, that I enjoy competence in the story, but Fire Emblem isn't really one of those series for some reason.

EDIT: I also low key adore self insets in pretty much anything. I'll name a character my own name or middle name just so I can be a part of the story most of the time. Funnily, I only name Suikoden MCs the canon name for some reason. I don't really know why.

Edited by Ms. Bunch

I don't self insert into Corn either, but it doesn't stop the game from treating them like one, what with the my room stuff all directly target player and shit. Advertising, too, tells the player that YOU are now the main character. Despite the lack of personality customization/choices beyond the one choice making them not great at functioning as a player insert, the intent is there.

A significant portion of the fanbase also treats them that way with the whole "my waifu/husbando" thing. I can't say about if it's most of the fanbase or not because I've never conducted a proper statistical study on this, but it's significant enough I see it in a lot of fanwork and the such.

also do you really want me to go into detail about my trashiness for ryoma because there will be academic papers and it might be cited

I gotcha.

It's just, for me, even with them attempting to slam the notion into my head, it just gets blocked. I guess I'm just used to Skyrim when is the next Elder Scrolls going to come out pls. It's not fair to compare the two games because of the huge differences between the series, though. I guess I just have this image in my head of what I think a self-insert should be.

Now, I will relent on the "husbando/waifu" front because I do have several husbandos and waifus that I am actively seeing. Don't tell them I said that.

As for Peri, I will admit that I was one of the people that hated her but I have since calmed down. My main problem is not her, per se, but how the game handles her supports. Honestly, it would have to be because of how the entire support system works and it isn't limited to just her. Peri gets some character development in some of her supports but it is irrelevant because when she starts a new one, she reverts back to step one and it is a bit jarring to me.

It bothers me that Hisame is so hated. I personally really like him. Same thing goes for Silas, Izana, Yukimura, Hinata, Siegbert, and Nyx. Also, the huge gap between male Corrin and female Corrin has left me baffled. I'm just saying.

I gotcha.

It's just, for me, even with them attempting to slam the notion into my head, it just gets blocked. I guess I'm just used to Skyrim when is the next Elder Scrolls going to come out pls. It's not fair to compare the two games because of the huge differences between the series, though. I guess I just have this image in my head of what I think a self-insert should be.

Now, I will relent on the "husbando/waifu" front because I do have several husbandos and waifus that I am actively seeing. Don't tell them I said that.

As for Peri, I will admit that I was one of the people that hated her but I have since calmed down. My main problem is not her, per se, but how the game handles her supports. Honestly, it would have to be because of how the entire support system works and it isn't limited to just her. Peri gets some character development in some of her supports but it is irrelevant because when she starts a new one, she reverts back to step one and it is a bit jarring to me.

It's a fictional mental illness she has and an extreme madness(her bloodlust and not really maturing mentally past when her mother died). But I think the way the game handles it seems to be decent for an incurable madness since a lot of the characters(with some exceptions like Charlotte) do try to discourage her bad behaviour(needless killing) or try to redirect her attention to her other talent(cooking), Leon tries to reason with her about the concept of killing.But none of the supports even the S-ranks actually truly resolve her issue.

Odin's suggests she has anger management techniques but still acknowledges her personality shifts after battles being something she has to "snap out of". In a way I think the way the supports work for her atleast can be perceived as consistent a depending on her state of mind at the time any of the development in the other supports wouldn't need to be taken because she can always snap back to wanting to kill.

Edited by arvilino

It's a fictional mental illness she has and an extreme madness(her bloodlust and not really maturing mentally past when her mother died). But I think the way the game handles it seems to be decent for an incurable madness since a lot of the characters(with some exceptions like Charlotte) do try to discourage her bad behaviour(needless killing) or try to redirect her attention to her other talent(cooking), Leon tries to reason with her about the concept of killing.But none of the supports even the S-ranks actually truly resolve her issue.

Odin's suggests she has anger management techniques but still acknowledges her personality shifts after battles being something she has to "snap out of". In a way I think the way the supports work for her atleast can be perceived as consistent a depending on her state of mind at the time any of the development in the other supports wouldn't need to be taken because she can always snap back to wanting to kill.

That is one way to put it and a relatively good one at that.

Funny thing is, what advertising I saw in NA leading up to release treated Corrin as a static (male) individual.

I think that definitely says something.

The gap between female/male Corrin might lessen if there was a mixed-gender poll.

Hisame is awesome, though. :(

I think it's an even mixture of people disliking him for not having any real gimmick and those who know virtually nothing about him except that they think the localization butchered him.

Edited by The DanMan

Funny thing is, what advertising I saw in NA leading up to release treated Corrin as a static (male) individual.

I think that definitely says something.

Yep, NoA definitely pretended Femui didn't exist. Not only did they only show Mamui, they didn't even mention you could play female. The casual viewer would think Corrin is a set male character like Mario or something.

The Japanese advertismenets were kind of biased too, it was mostly the male featured in pre-release gameplay footage and such.

But then again IntSys has always kind of favored the male Avatars

I wish Hinata, Takumi and Benny had scored a bit higher, but I'm glad Keaton and Kaze were pretty close to the top.

Most of the first gen female characters I dislike took the top spots as usual. Yawn.

Did you really think that "le mysterious distant waifu" was going to win?

No, her placing high up is good enough for me. Still, when she's losing to the big sister character who's only defining trait is how bad she wants to bang her brother/sister and yet another clumsy anime maid archetype, I'm going to have multiple questions.

Azura's results are now satisfactory, although her not being #1 is still a crime against humanity indicative of Reddit's poor taste.

Setsuna not being in first is more indicative of their bad taste. Not Azura lol

Setsuna not being in first is more indicative of their bad taste. Not Azura lol

I demand fisticuffs!

5756fef0c564c473f7e708664b9df85f_400x400

Still salty that Setsuna got the Halloween Scramble CG instead of Water Goddess

Edited by Phillius

Woah a popularity poll where Camilla didn't win on the female side?

I find it ironic that the 2/3 2nd gen Awakening clones ranked so high on the "least fave" list, considering that they're in Fates in the first place because they were clones of the most popular characters from Awakening.

I have a feeling people dislike Male Kana so much partially because of his voice; he does have a crit line where his voice cracks =(

I'm a little sad Yukimura has so much hate; it's probably because people didn't even use him, being a Corrinsexual you get really late. His support with Corrin is pretty informative and kind of sweet

I find it ironic that the 2/3 2nd gen Awakening clones ranked so high on the "least fave" list, considering that they're in Fates in the first place because they were clones of the most popular characters from Awakening.

I have a feeling people dislike Male Kana so much partially because of his voice; he does have a crit line where his voice cracks =(

I'm a little sad Yukimura has so much hate; it's probably because people didn't even use him, being a Corrinsexual you get really late. His support with Corrin is pretty informative and kind of sweet

didn't like tharja, didn't care for gaius either. but that's just me. their fates counterparts hardly add anything new either.

I actually don't have problem with kana's voice crack, it can easily be justified if he's started puberty.

and agree with yukimura, but he really got the short end of the stick, only being availble in birthright and as he can only support avatar there aren't a lot of room for improvement and background on his character. (his story presense doesn't really do him justice)

Rather than blatant clones, they could've brought the original characters instead(or don't include them at all).

I think people just don't care with Yukimura, not hate. Instead of picking someone they hate, they just pick the one who's least interesting.

opinions and all that, but don't get why ignatius is hated on so much. he's one of the few child characters that I actually like.

Totally agree! He didn't feel like another boring cookie cutter character. I mean I didn't spend much time using the children characters, but of the ones I found, I really enjoyed this dude.

On another note, I voted.

+Laslow +Selena +Ignatius (Would have voted Shiro but Ignatius is a close 2nd and needs some love).

-Hayato -Beruka (torn between her and Peri. Peri looks better). -Kana (because Kana fucking sucks).

I was a big fan of the Awakening characters. I dunno if it's me getting older or if the character design got worse or if I have bad taste...whatever it was, in general I felt like Awakening's characters were just better. Honestly I like Awakening more in general (yes you heard me) so that's why I was a fan of Laslow and Selena. And even if they weren't from awakening, I would still like them because they're just well written and entertaining characters. -Hayato because I don't like him, his stat growth never worked out on my files, and his design is dumb to me. I could rant about Beruka and Peri forever but to keep it short, the whole killing for no reason/without honor just doesn't sit well with me. Despite that statement, I really enjoyed Henry. Maybe it's because I saw more to his character than I saw in these two? Not sure. And I don't even want to get started on Kana (couldn't care less about gender, they both suck).

I also can't get behind all of the Ryoma/Camilla appreciation or hate. For me anyways, I pre-release I was super excited for these two. When the game came out, I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. Ryoma feels like they took Ike and dulled him out even more. No flaws, no humor, and now, unlike Ike, no anger (or very little of each). Aesthetically he's beautiful and as a unit he's awesome, but as a character, he's just...boring. If it weren't for his moment in Conquest, I wouldn't really like anything about him other than how great of a unit he is (always been a huge Swordmaster fan). For Camilla, I feel like she also had a lot of potential but came out pretty lame. Like her obsession with Corrin is just strange. Not to mention the VA was a let down. Should've used Charlotte's in her place. Also a very attractive character and decent on the battlefield but just not what I was hoping for. Both are good characters but I can't bring myself to really like or dislike these two.

And can someone tell me what's up with the Subaki/Jakob/Hana hate?

Edited by Rawkstar

How come I didn't notice this poll in my Reddit visits? These are.... quite interesting results... I didn't know Subaki gets that much hate. Hayato is justified because Ricken 2.0, but Hisame? Jeez people hate bowl cuts on their FE characters.

If I got to answer this, I would pick Subaki/Izana and Oboro/Nyx. I never touched the child paralogues so I'm not voting for them even though I have to.

I relate to Subaki with his perfectionist image a lot especially with school. Izana more or less irritated me with his dialogue. I have a fetish for lance soldiers and Oboro is Nephenee's successor. Nyx's gimmick of "I'm older than you dimwit" with durabilty that gives Azura run for her money makes me wanna bench her. Her voice annoys me.

I never played Awakening to experience the Awakening Trio and Expies, but I don't like Cordelia, Severa, and Tharja. I'm fine with the guys to be honest. Asugi sounds like if Gaius was recruited during puberty.

Edited by Fanatic&Ecstatic