Battle before Dawn Clear Trick

bethany81707

This is the strategy I developed for clearing Battle before Dawn on my first run. It got Nino and Jaffar, as well as all four treasure chests, but I suspect Lady Luck had a hand in clearing it (mostly in regards to one element, which I can see being easily remedied).

Prerequisites:

* Have a unit with a B-rank in staves and at least 10 magic. If you have 18, you could make it simpler.

* Have Merlinus promoted. This is a must if you intend to use the 10-magic strats (or at least highly recommended), and is probably a part of this strategy that Hector mode makes easier- you need to get all the Gaiden chapters and not let Merlinus die once to have it happen in Eliwood mode.

*Having two thieves is helpful. Ideally, one of these thieves should have enough speed to steal from the enemy thieves on the map.

Strategy:

* Rush down the right corridor with at least one Lord and one Thief. Make sure that there is enough spare gear in this party to fill an inventory.

** (The other party needs to go down the left corridor, but the exact makeup isn't really that significant- only that it's good.)

* Obtain the Rescue staff with a unit with a full inventory, and send it to Merlinus.

* Have your staff unit in the corridor between Zephiel's throne room and your starting position, and take the Rescue staff from Merlinus.

** If you have an 18 magic unit, this is where it can be simpler- the extra four tiles of Rescue allow you to use the staff directly from the starting position.

* Rescue Zephiel!

Gaiden:

* You can also use the properties of Rescue (both the staff and the regular technique) to get Nino and Jaffar into the corridor or starting position, and talk to activate the Gaiden chapter. Any half-decent unit should be able to take care of the shaman that appears in the corridor.

Thanks to this, I could beat Battle before Dawn with a first-playthrough powered, admitted low-level team (a whole bunch of units got early promotions trying to beat this chapter legitimately, and those that are promoted are level 4-5 at max, and mostly at level 1-2).

I apologise if the strategy isn't the most original you've ever seen, but it deals with the part of the chapter I find most difficult to account for: Ursula's Bolting. The Fog-of-War doesn't bother me nearly as much with the regular enemies. It's just not being able to tell how far she can zap that does.

Hector mode moving Ursula makes this strategy more difficult and/or redundant, doesn't it?