Nintendo entering the Movie market, 2-3 years for the first film

Jedi

I'm old enough to remember the hype for the Super Mario Bros movie. I wonder if these will be any good or will be so bad, that I need to see them, ironically.

Weird.

I'll be laughing if the first look at a non-spinoff Metroid in a long time is a movie.

Oh man, I can't wait to see a Metroid the movie.

Time will tell. But I sure hope to see a Kid Icarus though.

Animal Crossing actually already got a movie and I thought it was great, but I know some people will disagree.

Adapting a Pokemon game just like Origins did could work, but Kid Icarus is probably the best bet.

Animal Crossing actually already got a movie and I thought it was great, but I know some people will disagree.

Adapting a Pokemon game just like Origins did could work, but Kid Icarus is probably the best bet.

Why Pokemon? It already has mildly successful movies based on it's popular anime series. Is there really any need for Nintendo to make one for the games? I, for one, would like to see a Fire Emblem movie, if only because the OVA isn't as good a quality as I would like for something like this.

Why Pokemon? It already has mildly successful movies based on it's popular anime series. Is there really any need for Nintendo to make one for the games? I, for one, would like to see a Fire Emblem movie, if only because the OVA isn't as good a quality as I would like for something like this.

He was saying than Origins was a successful adaptation of a game. A lot of series, such as Zelda, Metroid and even FE have potential to adapted into a movie or series, the biggest problem is always the execution - it's incredibly easy to mess up a film based on a game.

EDIT: Pokemon is also incredibly popular, hence why its anime series is still ongoing. It would be a safe move to adapt more Pokemon.

Edited by Shin

An important point is that Kimishima says that they want the films to be animated, and not live action like the old SMB film.

That doesn't necessarily mean they'll be successful. Remember the old Mario and Zelda cartoons? Yeah. :P (granted, I actually did laugh at the Zelda cartoon a lot, but that's all it really was, was episodes full of comedic Link moments, plus his "excuuuse me, princess!" line got old after awhile. It does make a good reference to use in other stories on occasion though. lol)

I hope they go with Zelda or Fire Emblem first. Given how well some other medieval-themed movies have done, these have a lot of potential. FE would have the issue of deciding which games or characters to base it on (unless they go with a new original cast for some reason), but even so. And Link better talk. It would feel so forced and dumb if he didn't. This was the only thing the old Zelda cartoon actually did right, imo. Not forcing Link to be silent just because he technically is in his games.

Edited by Anacybele

I think something like Zelda or Fire Emblem would require higher production values so I doubt they'll start with those.

I think they'll play it safe for their first film, so they'll likely go with Mario or something Mario related (Yoshi or Donkey Kong). Maybe Splatoon to ride on the series' current popularity (they could easily take the Single Player Campaign and make a movie out of that).

The problem with doing Pokémon is it won't be based on the superior cast and world, aka the Pokémon Special one

I'd imagine it'll be Mario first, since that's the big one, before expanding into Zelda and gameverse!Pokémon if it works out. And just keep going from there, while still making big 3 based movies.

Yeah, I actually predict Mario will be first too because he's the mascot and all. I would just be a bit happier with Zelda or FE (especially if that FE is Tellius based/Ike's story and has little focus on shipping for the fandom's sake).

I just hope they actually treat Luigi with some respect instead of using him as a punching bag or the target of mean jokes. Mario didn't actually even acknowledge that he's a hero in his own right until the ending of Dark Moon. Nintendo is just always so mean to Luigi. :( (not counting the year of Luigi, of course)

Edited by Anacybele

From the interview I kind of get the impression that Zelda is what they plan to start with. What I wonder is how they'll handle Zelda, and other damsel in distress character going forward. In a post Frozen and The Force Awakens world it kind would give the films a dated look to have Zelda and Peach needing rescue by Link and Mario.

A Xenoblade trilogy would actually work great. It has a great story already, and the film would be visually spectacular. I also predict some amazing action scenes.

A Xenoblade trilogy would actually work great. It has a great story already, and the film would be visually spectacular. I also predict some amazing action scenes.

That would be fantastic!

Nintendo taking a shot in the film industry was going to happen some time soon but good job on nintendo's part for deciding to go with animated films rather than ass live action ones. I mean they could still suck(Ratchet & Clank) but I guess I would have more faith in the film itself.

I would love to see Kid Icarus, Metroid and FE ofc. Zelda seems to be recommended too but tbh with Link being a silent protagonist I fear that will be an issue. If he gets a voice I know people will be pissed and on the other hand I'm pretty sure him being silent throughout a film would be just bad xD.

Edited by IsaacBorg

Zelda could be really cool. I really want to see a Zelda movie where Link is still mute, and they have to be more creative with nonverbal interaction and make the film more visually interesting. Zelda has some beautiful environments for it. It could be hit or miss, but if it hits, oh man...

A Fire Emblem movie is possible. We spend a lot of time with these dozens of characters each game but it's weird to think about how most of them don't matter to the story in any way. And that's not really a thing that you can have in a movie, unless you're going for a really cluttered goofy tone. It'd be the main protagonist, a handful of supporting characters that help flesh out the main protagonist or have their own small arcs, and the villain. The rest could probably have cameos in a little fun barracks scene, or we have a battlefield scene where we get to see some of them mess around, but that's about it for the most part.

As for what game they'd do, I feel like Fates Birthright would be the easiest to translate to film. It already has an interesting story and good character drama. I can't ignore how popular Awakening is though, even if I dislike its plot.

I think Fire Emblem is more fitting for a miniseries format. Considering that vast casts of characters are a trademark of the series, I don't think a two-hour film will do it justice.

Is there any chance they will get Studio Ghibli to make the movies? Ghibli would do the best job IMO, every movie they have made has done a great job of making the characters in them as close to the original material as can be done and have a good movie. I agree with most people saying a Mario movie first, but I could see a Kirby movie as well. The way I would see them make a Zelda movie is they would use the story of OoT and show what Zelda was doing as Shiek during the time Link is locked in the temple of time.

I think Fire Emblem is more fitting for a miniseries format. Considering that vast casts of characters are a trademark of the series, I don't think a two-hour film will do it justice.

They could go the Radiant Dawn/Shadow Dragon route and just give the side characters 2 lines of dialogue, then ignore them for the rest of the movie.

Zelda could be really cool. I really want to see a Zelda movie where Link is still mute

Um, Link isn't mute even in his games... (his grunts and yells and all, you know) He's a "silent protagonist" in that case. And him being such in a movie would not work at all. It could work in a movie like Dumbo, sure, but that's a lot different from Zelda.

Um, Link isn't mute even in his games... (his grunts and yells and all, you know) He's a "silent protagonist" in that case. And him being such in a movie would not work at all. It could work in a movie like Dumbo, sure, but that's a lot different from Zelda.

Blah the asshole pretentious film student disagrees; there's lots of opportunity for visual storytelling, which is what film is all about.

He was saying than Origins was a successful adaptation of a game. A lot of series, such as Zelda, Metroid and even FE have potential to adapted into a movie or series, the biggest problem is always the execution - it's incredibly easy to mess up a film based on a game.

EDIT: Pokemon is also incredibly popular, hence why its anime series is still ongoing. It would be a safe move to adapt more Pokemon.

?????? Isn't it the Pokemon Company that handles the anime and the movies?