opinions on Shigure

singularity

As a character, Shigure is precious. Pastel prince ready to give his life to save other people? I'm in.

As far as playing with him in the game, I completly overlooked him in Revelations and Conquest but he's actually one of my main units on Birthright. (Mainly because I'm not a fan of any of the Birthright characters and I needed another person on my team tbh.) He's not very good offensively but after equipping Aether, he is good enough to just rely on Aether every time. I still mainly use him as a rally bot or pair him up with characters who can take less steps so those character can get places faster but if it gets to a point where he has to attack, I'll use him and aether helps.

Hearing his Japanese VA sing made me like him a lot more and I can't wait to hear the full song with Matthew Mercer's voice.

This is literally why the Heirs of Fate DLC is on my hit list.

Ah Shigure~ (my son)

Considering that most of the children are kinda shafted in the story, it is a little hard to talk about his characterization since most of them came from support, lines in battle and DLC Heirs of Fates. So here is my opinion on it.

Overall, being the oldest of the children. Shigure is pretty likeable. He displays most of the nice guy traits as being kind, understanding and stoic. While he is designed to be Azura as male, his characterization helps in that he is not as cold and critical as Azura. Where his mother will drop a harsh but true bombs everywhere causing people to misunderstand her, he is more careful and patient yet also remaining honest about what he feels. This allows him to further connect with people better than Azura did, and people are more likely to trust and listen to him. Now I understand that Azura grew up being hurt and bullied her entire life, which is why she is so cold and distant while Shigure grew up with friends and caretakers before they got murdered, so that kinda explains it...

[spoiler=Heirs of Fates Spoilers]

Heirs of Fates reveals a lot of things about Shigure. One is that the universe hates him. He always lose his mother in Birthright (and potentially his father) and Conquest, his friends in deep realms will always die when you recruit him, and Heirs of Fates which is a Failed Revelations detailed that everyone died except him. However, unlike Lucina who is often constantly worrying about the future and her ability to hope and trust. Shigure figure out the concept much quicker and is surprising mature about it. Yeah, he still faced the whole distrust thing but that is after the knowledge about alternate universes is revealed and even then, that entire thing felt kinda forced by the writers to start some conflict. Aside from the whole cliche sacrificing behavior that goes along with someone that wields the power to destroy the overpowered enemy at the cost of their life, Shigure especially in Heirs of Fates, is really someone who needs a hug and lots of love. Like everything wants to kill him and he had to shoulder so many things after Azura died, yet he choose to face the problem head on regardless of his pain and suffering. Poor guy, really need a hug.

Overall, Shigure is one of those characters that is easily overlooked because of how most of his design is meant to be Boy!Azura. Unlike Azura, who spends most of her time, talking about her struggles and showing the results of the pain and suffering. We get to see Shigure's pain and suffering in Heirs of Fate and how amazing he is enduring it. If only the story kinda worked like FE4 or something like that, then Shigure would have been an amazing character.

Opinion-wise, he is my favorite child and I am glad that I married Azura (Who I also loved) so have such an amazing son. (I do hope that he inherits the Valla throne after I am gone.)

Gameplay wise, Shigure is a born support unit. Whether you make him a Falcon Knight or a Kinshi Knight, he should always be supporting from the back. His frail defense and class makes him a poor attacker but he has potential depending on the father. He is not as outstanding as Shiro or Velouria but his easy paralogue and personal rally skill should make him a decent unit is you want to use him.

Edited by TanatatKnight

Ah Shigure~ (my son)

Considering that most of the children are kinda shafted in the story, it is a little hard to talk about his characterization since most of them came from support, lines in battle and DLC Heirs of Fates. So here is my opinion on it.

Overall, being the oldest of the children. Shigure is pretty likeable. He displays most of the nice guy traits as being kind, understanding and stoic. While he is designed to be Azura as male, his characterization helps in that he is not as cold and critical as Azura. Where his mother will drop a harsh but true bombs everywhere causing people to misunderstand her, he is more careful and patient yet also remaining honest about what he feels. This allows him to further connect with people better than Azura did, and people are more likely to trust and listen to him. Now I understand that Azura grew up being hurt and bullied her entire life, which is why she is so cold and distant while Shigure grew up with friends and caretakers before they got murdered, so that kinda explains it...

[spoiler=Heirs of Fates Spoilers]

Heirs of Fates reveals a lot of things about Shigure. One is that the universe hates him. He always lose his mother in Birthright (and potentially his father) and Conquest, his friends in deep realms will always die when you recruit him, and Heirs of Fates which is a Failed Revelations detailed that everyone died except him. However, unlike Lucina who is often constantly worrying about the future and her ability to hope and trust. Shigure figure out the concept much quicker and is surprising mature about it. Yeah, he still faced the whole distrust thing but that is after the knowledge about alternate universes is revealed and even then, that entire thing felt kinda forced by the writers to start some conflict. Aside from the whole cliche sacrificing behavior that goes along with someone that wields the power to destroy the overpowered enemy at the cost of their life, Shigure especially in Heirs of Fates, is really someone who needs a hug and lots of love. Like everything wants to kill him and he had to shoulder so many things after Azura died, yet he choose to face the problem head on regardless of his pain and suffering. Poor guy, really need a hug.

Overall, Shigure is one of those characters that is easily overlooked because of how most of his design is meant to be Boy!Azura. Unlike Azura, who spends most of her time, talking about her struggles and showing the results of the pain and suffering. We get to see Shigure's pain and suffering in Heirs of Fate and how amazing he is enduring it. If only the story kinda worked like FE4 or something like that, then Shigure would have been an amazing character.

Opinion-wise, he is my favorite child and I am glad that I married Azura (Who I also loved) so have such an amazing son. (I do hope that he inherits the Valla throne after I am gone.)

Gameplay wise, Shigure is a born support unit. Whether you make him a Falcon Knight or a Kinshi Knight, he should always be supporting from the back. His frail defense and class makes him a poor attacker but he has potential depending on the father. He is not as outstanding as Shiro or Velouria but his easy paralogue and personal rally skill should make him a decent unit is you want to use him.

I have to say, I 100% support and love this post.

I was playing Hisame's paralogue on my Birthright file (Shigure is his brother on this file) and he landed five <10% criticals. Not sure if RNG was in my favour or he really wanted to save his brother.

As a character, I've only seen a few of his supports and he's seem OK, I think it would have been cool if he had a role similar to Lucina where if he sing's Azura's song, different effects happen and is a bit of a precog i.e predicting where the invisible army appears .

Currently I have Takumi as Shigure's dad and he's been working out pretty well.

He's definitely not my favorite kid. But I like more than I do some of the others. I'm not really a fan of Dwyer, if you can tell.

Shigure just barely sees action though because my 2 main fliers are Caeldori and Subaki (both has Bowbreaker).

Currently I have Takumi as Shigure's dad and he's been working out pretty well.

He's definitely not my favorite kid. But I like more than I do some of the others. I'm not really a fan of Dwyer, if you can tell.

Shigure just barely sees action though because my 2 main fliers are Caeldori and Subaki (both has Bowbreaker).

Reclass him to Sniper, or merchant if you marry him off to Midori. I had him as Takumi's son in one playthrough, and merchant shigure ended up as one of my strongest units

Reclass him to Sniper, or merchant if you marry him off to Midori. I had him as Takumi's son in one playthrough, and merchant shigure ended up as one of my strongest units

I might have to try that out. Thanks. He might be more useful as a Merchant. As a Sniper he may not see play because of Kiragi, Takumi, and Setsuna.

I might have to try that out. Thanks. He might be more useful as a Merchant. As a Sniper he may not see play because of Kiragi, Takumi, and Setsuna.

I had Merchant Shigure and Pegasus Knight Kiragi healing him basically soloed the last 7 chapters of birthright lunatic for me.

• 2 years later...

I'm still pretty new to FE, but I'm on my second playthrough of Birthright! The first go-round, I pretty much completely overlooked Shigure because I didn't end up using Azura on my main team anyway. This time, however, I better understand how to use Azura as a unit, and I married her to Kaze (very sweet supports!). My Shigure has poison, which does come in handy sometimes. I also made him a Dark Falcon because I wanted him to have a higher magic stat for the Bolt Naginata. His magic stat is still kinda low (I buffed it to be +2), but oh man do I love him.

For one, he looks really cool! He also has really high luck and speed, so even when I'm reckless and pitch him against archers, he rarely gets touched. I use the Bolt Naginata as his range weapon, and it does a fair bit of damage, and he usually gets a fair amount of crits with his close range weapon. As far as using tomes, like I said his magic stat isn't great, but in a pinch it does ok. I have him paired with Sophie, and they tend to kick ass together. Whatever they can't outright kill, Shigure's poison usually chips down to the last of its health.The two of them are also able to cover a lot of ground and forge ahead. My Sophie has Hana as a mother, so she got Vantage, which really comes in handy in a pinch. 

I dunno if I'm maximizing Shigure's potential, but I really enjoy the aes and using him in this playthrough. All his supports are really sweet and he's a great character.