Rezzy

So, I finally made the jump and tried doing a drawing exclusively on my drawing pad, rather than scanning a pencil image on GIMP. I tried to start with an outline to have as a base. I'd really like some pointers on how to make it look less bumpy and pixely. I tried tried doing smooth strokes like I do with pencil, but it has that wobbly line appearance. I also tried doing the "Scoot" method or whatever it's called where I do short bursts, but it has more or less the same effect. I really envy the artists here how can do nice, smooth lines on a drawing pad.

CastingLayer_zpsg0tcmvp6.png

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a segment of my Lilina drawing, exclusively done by drawing pad. I plan to make it full body, I just need to keep working on making the lines look more natural.

LilinaHead_zpspesqjarq.jpg

Feedback and advice is always appreciated.

Edited by Rezzy

Here's a sketch of full body Lilina. Once again, done completely on a drawing pad. I'd like to know what people think of it. Or if it looks like crap. I'll color it in after I make any needed adjustments.

LilinaCompleteSketch_zpsngytf1ht.png

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Eyes in profile don't work like that; they should be in a triangular shape, lest it looks like the figure is a fish with eyes on either side instead of in front.

[spoiler=ref I found on Google]3094d071bb4c068c757596a518faf772.jpg

You should also try to define the nose a bit more, since it looks like she just has a lump there. Also, with the cloak,it's not gonna wrap around when it comes to the boob area like a tight shirt. It will fall over it and not hug it. Follow the example of the cloak when you drew it on the other arm, since that's falling normally. You should also check your hands. Both of them are different sizes, so you might want to fix that too. It helps when you're drawing to occasionally flip the image to see if it looks right flipped over and fix things that way too.

Eyes in profile don't work like that; they should be in a triangular shape, lest it looks like the figure is a fish with eyes on either side instead of in front.

[spoiler=ref I found on Google]3094d071bb4c068c757596a518faf772.jpg

You should also try to define the nose a bit more, since it looks like she just has a lump there. Also, with the cloak,it's not gonna wrap around when it comes to the boob area like a tight shirt. It will fall over it and not hug it. Follow the example of the cloak when you drew it on the other arm, since that's falling normally. You should also check your hands. Both of them are different sizes, so you might want to fix that too. It helps when you're drawing to occasionally flip the image to see if it looks right flipped over and fix things that way too.

Thanks for the critique. You're right; I'll try to make some adjustments when I get the chance, hopefully this evening. I'll try to loosen the cloak over the boob a little bit more. I tried to make it a more gradual curve, rather than tightly following the perky anatomical curvature, but I think maybe adding a bit of space when the cloak meets the dress will help.

Edited by Rezzy

I really like the fluidity of your poses. They're a little stiff in spots, but I blame the line issue here

I think you're worrying too much about lines, though. I feel like it's restricting what you could be doing. The point of a line is to express a shape, so it doesn't matter how neat or accurate it is as long as it... expresses that shape, you know?

Most artists tell me that in order to draw neat lines, they simply practice by making all sorts of lines for hours. Eventually you get the hang of it. Being more partial to painting and sketches, I never bothered P:

Edited by Yasas in Bloom

I really like the fluidity of your poses. They're a little stiff in spots, but I blame the line issue here

I think you're worrying too much about lines, though. I feel like it's restricting what you could be doing. The point of a line is to express a shape, so it doesn't matter how neat or accurate it is as long as it... expresses that shape, you know?

Most artists tell me that in order to draw neat lines, they simply practice by making all sorts of lines for hours. Eventually you get the hang of it. Being more partial to painting and sketches, I never bothered P:

Thanks, I try to find nice poses to base my drawings on. It helps to have something to look at while drawing to get a good reference. Sometimes, I'll do them in a mirror, but my body is lanky and atypical, so it's not always the best model. There's also the fact that my right arm is noticeably longer than my left, which doesn't help.

I appreciate the kind words!

I made a few improvements to Lilina, I normalized the hand size, gave her a nose job, and made a subtle change to the cloak over the left boob. I made a change to her eye to make the perspective look a bitter, better, but I didn't want to go too realistic, lest it clash with my art style.

LilinaCompleteSketch3_zpsitlavwao.png

I'd like to know what everybody, and Truck in particular think of the changes. Better, worse? I'll probably add a bit more detail and color it once I'm happy with it, taking suggestions into account. It's a pain to draw on the tablet the first time, but it's ten times easier to make alterations, now.

All feedback is always appreciated.

I decided to work on a nonhuman to work on lines. So here's a crappy looking Eevee. Feel free to critique, but it's not my best work.

PokeEevee_zpszmf8621n.png

I actually like your Eevee. It has that cute little effect that I adore.

I had an idea for a request, though it may not be my best one... Coffee with Yukimura, Izana, and Zola?

Thanks! Once I get drawing on the tablet down, I think it will make editing things a lot easier.

What do you mean? Like Yukimura, Izana, and Zola drinking coffee together? I could give it a try, but it may take a bit, with three characters together.

Thanks! Once I get drawing on the tablet down, I think it will make editing things a lot easier.

What do you mean? Like Yukimura, Izana, and Zola drinking coffee together? I could give it a try, but it may take a bit, with three characters together.

You are welcome. Good luck! Also, that is what I mean. Thank you for trying it!

You are welcome. Good luck! Also, that is what I mean. Thank you for trying it!

Thanks, it may take a while, though. I think I'll do it one character at a time then, put it all together.

Here's a coloring of my Lilina.

8bd103b3-5c19-40f3-9638-7f352ee2e468_zps

Feedback is always appreciated.

I will work on the Fates trio next, but it might be a bit. My son's birthday is Thursday, and he's having a party this Saturday, which also happens to be my birthday.

The Litten and the Lilina picture are looking quite good.

Also, happy early birthday to both you and Leo!

Thanks and thanks! The lines are a still a bit bumpier than I'd like, but doing to sketching on a drawing tablet makes coloring it in and making changes a ton easier.

Awww Happy birthday to you both!

Thanks, we just got back from going out for Leo's birthday.

I like the hair on Lilina. The cat honestly reminds me of an episode of Doug where the cat was yowling because she was spoiled rotten.

Thanks, I actually think I'll go back and change a bit more. I want to add a few details. But thanks for the hair, I've been trying to make that look better.

Is that the episode where Doug watches Roger's cat, and she's pregnant? I guess Litten looks a bit like his cat.

A subtle change, but I think it makes the tabard type thing Lilina wears look a bit better. It just seemed off before.

FELilinaColor4_zpsdqqc1wpi.png

Feedback always appreciated. I realize I've been drawing mostly girls lately, but it's easier to work on anatomy without sexual dimorphism thrown into the mix. Zola/Yukimura/Izana may prove interesting.

A subtle change, but I think it makes the tabard type thing Lilina wears look a bit better. It just seemed off before.

FELilinaColor4_zpsdqqc1wpi.png

Feedback always appreciated. I realize I've been drawing mostly girls lately, but it's easier to work on anatomy without sexual dimorphism thrown into the mix. Zola/Yukimura/Izana may prove interesting.

Oh my. I also forgot to add they are men of different ages (I wish that they were all in their 20's but that was proven not a thing by my mom asking if Yukimura was older...) Good luck!!!

Oh my. I also forgot to add they are men of different ages (I wish that they were all in their 20's but that was proven not a thing by my mom asking if Yukimura was older...) Good luck!!!

I think Zola and Izana look to be in their 30s, at least, it's sort of hard to tell with Zola, he could easily be in his 40s or more. Yukimura looks 40s to me. It's hard to tell ages with anime types, sometimes. Drawing older guys is actually easier for me, since the imperfections can just be a way to show age. I've started drawing Zola; getting the right sort of pose down is the toughest part. (Well, apart from the actual drawing.)

I think Zola and Izana look to be in their 30s, at least, it's sort of hard to tell with Zola, he could easily be in his 40s or more. Yukimura looks 40s to me. It's hard to tell ages with anime types, sometimes. Drawing older guys is actually easier for me, since the imperfections can just be a way to show age. I've started drawing Zola; getting the right sort of pose down is the toughest part. (Well, apart from the actual drawing.)

Someone wrote for Zola that they figured he would be in his mid 50's. Personally I like the idea of Izana being 27 and Yukimura and Zola both at 35 at least. (I played this game called 'No, Thank You!!!' and the character supposedly in his 40's wasn't my cup of tea so I went with the ages of my favorite routes in the game that wasn't Hiroyuki, who would be 22.)

I am glad you have a way to draw older characters. It actually makes me glad. Best of luck for Zola!