Rezzy

Here's Zola, having a bit too much caffeine...

ce468a0d-8530-4d8d-9882-a893d1cf05d9_zps

I'm really not a fan of the dark mage outfits, male or female, in Fates, but whaduya do?

Feedback is always appreciated!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's Zola, having a bit too much caffeine...

ce468a0d-8530-4d8d-9882-a893d1cf05d9_zps

I'm really not a fan of the dark mage outfits, male or female, in Fates, but whaduya do?

Feedback is always appreciated!

Did you give Zola chest hair? In general chest hair is more random and chaotic however you did a good job otherwise.

His expression though gives me the most devilish of grins. I love it! Any chance you'll color it?

Did you give Zola chest hair? In general chest hair is more random and chaotic however you did a good job otherwise.

His expression though gives me the most devilish of grins. I love it! Any chance you'll color it?

Yeah, I tried to give him a bit of chest hair so his chest wasn't just a blank spot. Zola doesn't strike me as the type that would have well defined muscles, so I didn't want to give him pecs. I might change it a little bit before the final draft.

Yep, I'll color it in, once I finish the other two. When having more than one character, I have to make sure I scale them all properly to each other. Then coloring it should be pretty straight forward.

Yeah, I tried to give him a bit of chest hair so his chest wasn't just a blank spot. Zola doesn't strike me as the type that would have well defined muscles, so I didn't want to give him pecs. I might change it a little bit before the final draft.

Yep, I'll color it in, once I finish the other two. When having more than one character, I have to make sure I scale them all properly to each other. Then coloring it should be pretty straight forward.

That makes sense. And I agree. He is quite the shrimp in context. But he's a nice one to look at as well. (though seeing him with hair is also refreshing.)

Good luck with the coloring!

Edited by Dangerus

Don't be afraid to use shape tools especially for the crystal ball :>

Also, for things like lightning effects or just effects in general, when you're working digitally, don't give the effects a black outline because it makes them look tangibly solid, if that makes sense. Things like smoke or lightning aren't tangible so that's something to keep in mind.

Here's some example from my own drawings:

Fire: http://jinglebell-whistle.deviantart.com/art/Vesta-622441885?q=gallery%3Ajinglebell-whistle%2F44167984&qo=1

Lightning/Thunder: http://jinglebell-whistle.deviantart.com/art/Tactician-548685486

Don't be afraid to use shape tools especially for the crystal ball :>

Also, for things like lightning effects or just effects in general, when you're working digitally, don't give the effects a black outline because it makes them look tangibly solid, if that makes sense. Things like smoke or lightning aren't tangible so that's something to keep in mind.

Here's some example from my own drawings:

Fire: http://jinglebell-whistle.deviantart.com/art/Vesta-622441885?q=gallery%3Ajinglebell-whistle%2F44167984&qo=1

Lightning/Thunder: http://jinglebell-whistle.deviantart.com/art/Tactician-548685486

For black outline, do you mean the tail blue/dark blue divide? In retrospect, I shouldn't have done that. I sort of made the decision to try shading halfway through, but I think that's the only spot where two shades of the same color border each other.

I'll try to remember not to outline my magical effects, a bit of force of habit of drawing them on paper.

Yeah, Circles are a bit hard. I'll try to make it a bit rounder next time.

Thanks for all your help! I think I'm getting a bit better at drawing on the pad, if gradually. All the support I've been getting from everyone here has inspired me to try to get better.

For black outline, do you mean the tail blue/dark blue divide? In retrospect, I shouldn't have done that. I sort of made the decision to try shading halfway through, but I think that's the only spot where two shades of the same color border each other.

I'll try to remember not to outline my magical effects, a bit of force of habit of drawing them on paper.

Yeah, Circles are a bit hard. I'll try to make it a bit rounder next time.

Thanks for all your help! I think I'm getting a bit better at drawing on the pad, if gradually. All the support I've been getting from everyone here has inspired me to try to get better.

You're welcome! It's completely fine drawing magical effects with an outline on paper because you kind of need to know where they're going to be, right? But when you're translating digitally, stick with using the colour of the magical effect minus the outline.

You're getting better which is great and I'm happy that you're taking the advice that I and other people are giving you!

Another thing you might want to work on is your colour. Some of the colours you're using don't really mix well together but I get that you're trying to add contrast so the main figure stands out. For example, instead of a lime green colour for Lilith's crystal ball, you should try using a pale teal colour. Another thing is that, I feel like you need to shade a little more because you're only shading areas were things are overlapping which is great and on point, but it's still limiting and can make your figure still look flat.

I took some time to demonstrate what I mean :> I hope you don't mind me editing the drawing!

You're welcome! It's completely fine drawing magical effects with an outline on paper because you kind of need to know where they're going to be, right? But when you're translating digitally, stick with using the colour of the magical effect minus the outline.

You're getting better which is great and I'm happy that you're taking the advice that I and other people are giving you!

Another thing you might want to work on is your colour. Some of the colours you're using don't really mix well together but I get that you're trying to add contrast so the main figure stands out. For example, instead of a lime green colour for Lilith's crystal ball, you should try using a pale teal colour. Another thing is that, I feel like you need to shade a little more because you're only shading areas were things are overlapping which is great and on point, but it's still limiting and can make your figure still look flat.

I took some time to demonstrate what I mean :> I hope you don't mind me editing the drawing!

Thanks, I'll try to work on those points. Yeah, it's hard for me to pick good colors at times. My fashion sense is horrible, I like wearing bright solid colors, like orange and lime green, so I guess it kinda translated into my art. I'm not color blind, but I've sometimes argued with my mom about whether a certain shade is yellow vs green for example, so maybe my eyes are just weird. Plus, I might have synesthesia to a certain extant. I thought green might contrast well, but yours looks better.

That picture looks really good. I'm surprised what you could do with my fish there. I have something to strive for.

Thanks, I'll try to work on those points. Yeah, it's hard for me to pick good colors at times. My fashion sense is horrible, I like wearing bright solid colors, like orange and lime green, so I guess it kinda translated into my art. I'm not color blind, but I've sometimes argued with my mom about whether a certain shade is yellow vs green for example, so maybe my eyes are just weird. Plus, I might have synesthesia to a certain extant. I thought green might contrast well, but yours looks better.

That picture looks really good. I'm surprised what you could do with my fish there. I have something to strive for.

Thanks! I don't have the best fashion sense either but when you start to get better and better at working with colours, it's lots of fun!

Here are some really good shading and colour tutorials that can help you get better :>

http://orig13.deviantart.net/f18b/f/2012/353/7/7/coloured_shading_tutorial___how_to_pick_a_palette_by_madeleinestern-d5oi5lp.jpg

http://orig06.deviantart.net/e5e4/f/2012/255/3/e/shading_colour_choice_tutorial_by_cherubchan-d5eivhu.jpg

A good rule of thumb is to shade with a colour that is a darker hue that is relative to the base colour. For example, use a dark teal/green blue for shading green. It'll make things more vibrant. You never want to shade with black/grey.

Thanks! I don't have the best fashion sense either but when you start to get better and better at working with colours, it's lots of fun!

Here are some really good shading and colour tutorials that can help you get better :>

http://orig13.deviantart.net/f18b/f/2012/353/7/7/coloured_shading_tutorial___how_to_pick_a_palette_by_madeleinestern-d5oi5lp.jpg

http://orig06.deviantart.net/e5e4/f/2012/255/3/e/shading_colour_choice_tutorial_by_cherubchan-d5eivhu.jpg

A good rule of thumb is to shade with a colour that is a darker hue that is relative to the base colour. For example, use a dark teal/green blue for shading green. It'll make things more vibrant. You never want to shade with black/grey.

Ah, I had always just tried to make things grayer for shadows. So, should I always try to make it bluer (or whatever the term for higher frequency wavelength color is)? I've never actually taken a formal art class, so it's a bit foreign to me.

Ah, I had always just tried to make things grayer for shadows. So, should I always try to make it bluer (or whatever the term for higher frequency wavelength color is)? I've never actually taken a formal art class, so it's a bit foreign to me.

The reason you shouldn't use gray for shadows is because it dilutes the base colour which can make your overall drawing dull and not very energetic. Kind of like how on the grey cloudy day, everything looks more gloomy and dull - it's the same for art.

What you basically want to go for in shading, is to make the shading colour darker but vibrant and here's what I mean by that: You know that colours can be divided between warm and cool colours right? Red, Orange and Yellow being warm colours while Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet are cool colours.

Say you have a yellow base colour and need a shading colour: don't go for a dark yellow which looks like a kind of pukey green dark colour because what you're doing is adding black/grey to the yellow base colour and that's something you want to avoid. So instead, shade with a colour that's warmer than yellow. What's warmer than yellow? Orange. What's warmer than orange? Red - see the pattern?

In the first link of my previous post, look at the difference between the first orange sphere and the second orange sphere. The shading for the first sphere, the palette is basically just adding black/grey to orange, which makes the sphere look more muddy and dull. But for the second sphere, notice how using orange-reddish colours makes the sphere more vibrant and orange? That's what I mean.

So for cool colours, say you have a green base colour and now your need a colour to shade? What's cooler than green? Blue. What's cooler than blue? Indigo and so on.

Sometimes it's a helpful exercise to blend colours together to see if they compliment each other well when blended. That will usually let you know if those colours look good together.

http://s1003.photobucket.com/user/starlightjuliet/media/palette.png.html

The reason I drew x's on the bottom three is because those colours are complementary to each other on the colour wheel - or in other words, they're the opposite of each other so they don't blend well together.

https://www.google.ca/search?espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=colour+wheel&oq=colour+wheel&gs_l=img.3..0l10.3150.5415.0.5723.12.8.2.2.2.0.107.584.7j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.12.593...0i67j0i10j0i10i24.-FOtgZLTsOI#imgrc=BNHrnObua-hjSM%3A

I highly suggest you study the colour wheel to really analyze and see the transition between one colour to the next.

Edited by carefreejules

The reason you shouldn't use gray for shadows is because it dilutes the base colour which can make your overall drawing dull and not very energetic. Kind of like how on the grey cloudy day, everything looks more gloomy and dull - it's the same for art.

What you basically want to go for in shading, is to make the shading colour darker but vibrant and here's what I mean by that: You know that colours can be divided between warm and cool colours right? Red, Orange and Yellow being warm colours while Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet are cool colours.

Say you have a yellow base colour and need a shading colour: don't go for a dark yellow which looks like a kind of pukey green dark colour because what you're doing is adding black/grey to the yellow base colour and that's something you want to avoid. So instead, shade with a colour that's warmer than yellow. What's warmer than yellow? Orange. What's warmer than orange? Red - see the pattern?

In the first link of my previous post, look at the difference between the first orange sphere and the second orange sphere. The shading for the first sphere, the palette is basically just adding black/grey to orange, which makes the sphere look more muddy and dull. But for the second sphere, notice how using orange-reddish colours makes the sphere more vibrant and orange? That's what I mean.

So for cool colours, say you have a green base colour and now your need a colour to shade? What's cooler than green? Blue. What's cooler than blue? Indigo and so on.

Sometimes it's a helpful exercise to blend colours together to see if they compliment each other well when blended. That will usually let you know if those colours look good together.

http://s1003.photobucket.com/user/starlightjuliet/media/palette.png.html

The reason I drew x's on the bottom three is because those colours are complementary to each other on the colour wheel - or in other words, they're the opposite of each other so they don't blend well together.

https://www.google.ca/search?espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=colour+wheel&oq=colour+wheel&gs_l=img.3..0l10.3150.5415.0.5723.12.8.2.2.2.0.107.584.7j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.12.593...0i67j0i10j0i10i24.-FOtgZLTsOI#imgrc=BNHrnObua-hjSM%3A

I highly suggest you study the colour wheel to really analyze and see the transition between one colour to the next.

Thanks, I'll give that a look. I'll think of it as dividing the colors between yellow and green, then moving to either extreme when shading.

Slowly, but surely making progress on the coffee request. Here's the beginnings of Yukimura. He'll get the rest of his body as time permits.

e16bb1a5-466d-4d29-906e-fd80e85ea172_zps

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Slowly, but surely making progress on the coffee request. Here's the beginnings of Yukimura. He'll get the rest of his body as time permits.

e16bb1a5-466d-4d29-906e-fd80e85ea172_zps

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Yukimura is looking pretty chill. Though it might be just me, but his hair doesn't seem as fluffy here as in the original Fates game. Once again, it could be just me. I do enjoy how you got his character down to a pat otherwise as well.

Yukimura is looking pretty chill. Though it might be just me, but his hair doesn't seem as fluffy here as in the original Fates game. Once again, it could be just me. I do enjoy how you got his character down to a pat otherwise as well.

Thanks! His hair's a bit tricky to draw, since he has this weird bedhead look to him. I'll try to finish him up when I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Best of luck and take your time!

Thanks for your patience and rest assured, I haven't forgotten. I worked on Izana a bit tonight, and hopefully can get some more done tomorrow. It's been a busy few weeks, and I haven't had much chance for drawing lately. Work, kids, and a new house have been taking up all my time. :P

Thanks for your patience and rest assured, I haven't forgotten. I worked on Izana a bit tonight, and hopefully can get some more done tomorrow. It's been a busy few weeks, and I haven't had much chance for drawing lately. Work, kids, and a new house have been taking up all my time. :P

Oh wow! I hope you are okay. Once again take your time and I am hoping you get a chance to have a break soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Your art makes me happy baha.

Why, thank you!

I hope I get a chance to draw some more again, soon. Unfortunately, I'm not the fastest artist, and it's been a crazy, busy last few weeks. Without going too much into detail, I work full time, have a two year old son, and am expecting a daughter in November. I'm working on finishing my Izana currently.

Oh wow~! Best of luck to you and congrats on your daughter!

Thanks, it's hard to draw when you have a two year old who always wants in your lap and likes to grab whatever is in front of you.

I had a bit of time to draw today, so I worked on Izana a bit. He's not done, but since drawing time has been so scarce lately, I figured I'd show my progress. For some reason, PhotoBucket is giving it this smudged sort of look, but it looks crisper on the original. I just need to figure out how to put all three into the same drawing, I'm still figuring out how to cut/paste properly.

324d66ae-48c1-4759-9432-6a89076f3416_zps

I've still got a few tweaks to do here and there, as well as and some more detail, but any and all feedback is always appreciated.