Rezzy

Okay, let's try this again.

22 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Hm well I'm no art pro but:

Reveal hidden contents

Its obviously not the greatest thing I've ever seen in my entire life but it looks like a more confident perspective of Oboro. She looks less sincere and more serious.

I like that!

Her arm that's behind her back looks like she's itching her butt or something though XD Also, it looks like your lines altogether aren't exactly..... "straight" but the eyebrows could look a little more.....

"proportionate"

Again, I'm no expert so take from this whatever you want! Thanks for this :D:

Once you can get a little bit better, I think I'd use one of your pieces of crap art!

Yeah, her eyebrows look a bit off.  I tried giving her a raised eyebrow on one side, but I guess it didn't turn out as intended.

Her arm was a mix of not-sure-what-to-do-with-this-arm and not wanting to draw the other arm.

Yeah, my lines are a bit "shaky".  I'm a bit out of practice, since I haven't drawn in over five months.  Hopefully, I'll have more time to do more drawing to get back in practice.  Est has been taking up a lot of my drawing time, sadly.

22 hours ago, Nym said:

Is it just me or both the drawing of yourself and Oboro have massive necks?

They may be a bit on the thick side, mine moreso than Oboro's.  I've been trying to have more anatomically proportionate body sizes, which can sometimes look a bit thicker in some places when still in a hybrid cartoony style.

20 hours ago, Anime27Arts said:

I really like it. 

And now some artist to artist feedback.  Its evaluation time!*cue dramatic music*

Reveal hidden contents

Alright for the proportion of the head to the body is pretty nice. I know I tend to make the head too big but this is nicely proportionate.  Nowi for one know it is hard to have straight lines, I draw with a drag pad on an old chromebook, but a tip on working with them is to not draw on part all in one line.  Taking multiple smaller strokes, whether drawing a back sketch frame or connecting each one for a final outline,  will help with a shaky hand. This is mainly applicable in places where uts awkward to have swaying lines like body parts. This can be used with clothing as well but usually clothing has a natural wave to it. That being said, I think the clothing is something Oboro herself would be proud of.  The sleeves are superiorly done in my opinion. I would work on trying to make the neck a little straighter but its not too bad.  That's just my two sense.  Now that pose is one o recognize as a "I don't like to draw hands"pose, which i do more than i want to admit.  Her arm behind her back could have been put by her side so that it does not look like she's "scratching her butt" as my twin says.   With the fist on the other side, it seems you have the right idea.  When making the knuckles proportionate you can divide the end into four equal parts to make it easier.  If you dont want to physically draw each dip between knuckles i suggest bringing the lines up a little farther.  If you wanted to avoid the hand situation all together I tend to crop the picture so no one can see anything I didn't draw well.

Her face is nicely done.  My only concern would be those eyebrows.   I myself have very expressive eyebrows so I understand the position but it seems the left one is thicker than the other.  Breaking them into smaller lines will help.   Now to the hair.  This was well executed. The strand coming from the right side is a tad weird, probably because it is a bit thick and behind her shoulder rather than in front.  The ponytail also seems a bit flat.  The main thing about hair is volume.   Hair, unless greased back to the head, always has volume.  Giving it that volume will help give it that nice sillohete and make it look like its not stuck to the head.  

I really want you to know you did a great job with this.  I tried to pull out things to help because if someone is told their art is perfect they will not try any more. I do love the coloring and the shading is gorgeous! I could never shade like that.   I know you will improve and do great. 

I'm extremely flattered that you remembered my love for Oboro.   If you want me to critic any other piece I'd gladly oblige. 

Thanks!  I've been working on body proportions with some of my more recent works, and I appreciate the compliment on the clothes!

Yeah, I have the shaky lines from lack of practice lately, and the eyebrow was intended to be curved on one side a la Spock or The Rock, but it didn't really work out.

Her hair I might try to go back and touch up sometime.  Hair's been a thing that's been tough for me, and could try to give it a bit more fluff in the future.

I really appreciate your taking the time to critique, and thanks for the compliment on the shading, I've been working on that with more recent pieces, and I've gotten lots of pointers from others, including @carefreejules.

Sure, if you'd like to evaluate any of my other stuff, feel free.  My more recent stuff would probably be best, since my early pieces on here are markedly of lower quality for the most part.  If I'm able to draw anymore anytime soon, you could give that a go, too.

17 hours ago, Arcanite said:

I'm certainly looking forward to it! Can't wait to see what other cool things you have in store, as well as seeing you progress if you hope to become a super doctor-artist expert or something :D:

Thankfully, I'm a much better doctor than an artist, but hopefully, I'm getting better.

12 hours ago, Natalie said:

Anyway, I really like your style now. It's nice. 

Thanks!  I've been working on perfecting my own sort of style.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Thanks!  I've been working on body proportions with some of my more recent works, and I appreciate the compliment on the clothes!

Yeah, I have the shaky lines from lack of practice lately, and the eyebrow was intended to be curved on one side a la Spock or The Rock, but it didn't really work out.

Her hair I might try to go back and touch up sometime.  Hair's been a thing that's been tough for me, and could try to give it a bit more fluff in the future.

I really appreciate your taking the time to critique, and thanks for the compliment on the shading, I've been working on that with more recent pieces, and I've gotten lots of pointers from others, including @carefreejules.

Sure, if you'd like to evaluate any of my other stuff, feel free.  My more recent stuff would probably be best, since my early pieces on here are markedly of lower quality for the most part.  If I'm able to draw anymore anytime soon, you could give that a go, too.

No Problem! I figured that is what you were trying to do with the eyebrows.  Looking in the mirror can help get things like that more accurate.  

As for Hair, that's always been the one thing I can do well probably because I have so much!

Spoiler

Quick Hair Pointers Featuring My Art if Anyone is Curious *WARNING* BAD ART BELOW

Spoiler

You were warned

Spoiler

So when looking at the head you want to make sure it is not directly lined up with the head and comes further up on the head, but not by a significant amount, otherwise you have an afro, a beehive hairstyle or that person LOVES volumized hair.

2017-03-20.png.6a7e0ddae9732f60d096eaf04a42190e.png

A side view is the easiest way to see this difference, if you look at the erase marks you can see where the skull goes compared to the bangs showing enough hair on top that you can't see her skull but not too much so that it makes her significantly taller.

Now in a front view, there is a little more availability to show more volume.

IMG_20161230_234411957.thumb.jpg.f7b08b86f9e43638ed3277847313854d.jpg

Even though her hair is in a ponytail, there is still a sway and bounce to it.  Drawing out a skull and then add the hair on top helps.  With hair in a ponytail, it's easiest to pick one place and have the hair strand from it and flow.  While hair in real life is not always the most luxurious, for best results, think of Disney Princesses and their unrealistic hair expectations.  That should help adding volume to the hair.

Also!  Guy's have voluminous hair too!  Easiest way to show this on a guy is a lot of edges and layers showing these different layers.

2017-03-21.png.76597d139492bf0d10bfbb5ab0144c9b.png

and

IMG_20170327_0006.jpg.7de106972575befdb3ac2e40c9fa5f52.jpg

Hope this helps!

I would love to look through some more things when I can!

• 4 weeks later...

Did some Sunday night doodling, not great, but I think this Jill is an improvement from what I had done previously.

FEJillJun17_zps6kukohn6.png

Feedback is appreciated as always.

5 minutes ago, Nym said:

It is great! But I don't know why but it reminds me of Anacybele's art style.

Thanks!  Maybe because Jill's a Tellius character, and Anacybele's got a Tellius feel to her style?

I see lots of improvement from your last drawing of Oboro and I'm really impressed. 

Spoiler

The shading on her armour is absolutely gorgeous.  Im jealous.  Very jealous.  It seems your lines are a LOT straighter,  just a bit shakey with colors.  The fill feature can be an artist's best friend. Her face look spectacular. I noticed you like shading so to complete the job you could do a little shading under the nose.  The only issue I see is the hair. First of its kind of defying gravity..... Looking at pictures helps me.  The volume looks a lot better,  the main issue is you went overboard on volume.   I believe you were trying to have the hair flowing in the wind,  if so to fix it on the bottom don't have it arch up nearly as much.  The bottom part could almost be flat and look fine. Another thing, with the dark red parts as lowlights aretrying to accent the hair, they are a bit big and overwhelming.  Multiple smaller ones tend to work better than a few larger ones. 

All in all it looks really good!  Keep it up super Artist Doctor!

21 minutes ago, Anime27Arts said:

I see lots of improvement from your last drawing of Oboro and I'm really impressed. 

Hide contents

The shading on her armour is absolutely gorgeous.  Im jealous.  Very jealous.  It seems your lines are a LOT straighter,  just a bit shakey with colors.  The fill feature can be an artist's best friend. Her face look spectacular. I noticed you like shading so to complete the job you could do a little shading under the nose.  The only issue I see is the hair. First of its kind of defying gravity..... Looking at pictures helps me.  The volume looks a lot better,  the main issue is you went overboard on volume.   I believe you were trying to have the hair flowing in the wind,  if so to fix it on the bottom don't have it arch up nearly as much.  The bottom part could almost be flat and look fine. Another thing, with the dark red parts as lowlights aretrying to accent the hair, they are a bit big and overwhelming.  Multiple smaller ones tend to work better than a few larger ones. 

All in all it looks really good!  Keep it up super Artist Doctor!

Thanks, that's very kind of you.  Maybe if I can draw a bit more consistently, but lines will be steadier.

Yeah, I might do back and fix the hair a bit, I was trying to give it a bit of a windswept look, but hair's tough.  You're right about the lowlights, I think I'll fix that when I have time.  Maybe I'll try to look at my hair a bit more, which kinda has a blonde/red thing going.

7 hours ago, Nym said:

It is great! But I don't know why but it reminds me of Anacybele's art style.

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Thanks!  Maybe because Jill's a Tellius character, and Anacybele's got a Tellius feel to her style?

Yeah, I use a Tellius-like style for a lot of my FE OCs since they're from the same world (just a different continent). And Senri Kita's Tellius style is my fav. :P

I use other styles for other work though.

Also, Rezzy, you're getting better! I definitely see an improvement in features like the eyes.

On 6/26/2017 at 3:38 PM, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I use a Tellius-like style for a lot of my FE OCs since they're from the same world (just a different continent). And Senri Kita's Tellius style is my fav. :P

I use other styles for other work though.

Also, Rezzy, you're getting better! I definitely see an improvement in features like the eyes.

Thanks, I meant to reply a long time ago, but got sidetracked and forgot at some point.

Photobucket's shenanigans seem to have killed my pictures, since most of my stuff from the last year was hosted there.  I originally had Imgur, so my earliest stuff probably shows up okay, but I went to Photobucket, since Imgur had made it hard to crop and resize things, but hopefully it's better now.

I'm going to try and move my favorites over to Imgur and repost them here.  I guess all my future stuff will be on Imgur as well.  I don't know why Photobucket decided to completely obliterate picture hosting.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Thanks, I meant to reply a long time ago, but got sidetracked and forgot at some point.

Photobucket's shenanigans seem to have killed my pictures, since most of my stuff from the last year was hosted there.  I originally had Imgur, so my earliest stuff probably shows up okay, but I went to Photobucket, since Imgur had made it hard to crop and resize things, but hopefully it's better now.

I'm going to try and move my favorites over to Imgur and repost them here.  I guess all my future stuff will be on Imgur as well.  I don't know why Photobucket decided to completely obliterate picture hosting.

You could go make a Deviantart account. That's where I upload my art to. The only downside is that you might sometimes have jerks telling you your art sucks in the comment section. My friend Dragoncat had that happen recently. I mean, neither you nor Dcat make masterpieces, but that's no reason to say things like "don't post your art if you're not going to make it good" or "you're *insert age here* and this is the best you can do?" Yeah, people said those things to her. But you can hide those comments or report them. Thankfully, they don't happen a lot and people there are generally nice.

It takes time to improve. Take it from me, it took me a good several years to get where I am now and I still have things to learn.

But yeah, this is just an idea.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You could go make a Deviantart account. That's where I upload my art to. The only downside is that you might sometimes have jerks telling you your art sucks in the comment section. My friend Dragoncat had that happen recently. I mean, neither you nor Dcat make masterpieces, but that's no reason to say things like "don't post your art if you're not going to make it good" or "you're *insert age here* and this is the best you can do?" Yeah, people said those things to her. But you can hide those comments or report them. Thankfully, they don't happen a lot and people there are generally nice.

It takes time to improve. Take it from me, it took me a good several years to get where I am now and I still have things to learn.

I'll second this sentiment.  Deviantart was made for artwork.  I'm not sure if it's possible to completely disable comments on individual pieces, though.

Another benefit of Deviantart is that it will allow NSFW content, as long as it's tagged appropriately.  Granted, it can't be posted here, but it's another possibility!

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'll second this sentiment.  Deviantart was made for artwork.  I'm not sure if it's possible to completely disable comments on individual pieces, though.

Another benefit of Deviantart is that it will allow NSFW content, as long as it's tagged appropriately.  Granted, it can't be posted here, but it's another possibility!

I think you can. I've seen pieces where comments were disabled. But yeah.

You can also make folders on Deviantart to separate your art in categories like FE or other fanart or animals or whatever. You also have a friends list to add other Deviants (members) to, a favorites section to put your favorite art from other people in, and a journal to post anything you want on, like life updates and stuff.

There are also groups you can join, like for example, I'm part of a group for the Ike x Elincia pairing and a group for FE spriting. I haven't been active in them for a long time though.

Really good artists also sell prints and stuff through the site! You could one day have t-shirts and calendars and junk with your art on them! I've not been successful here though...

If you pay for a Premium membership, you get even more benefits, but I've not needed them yet, so I can't tell you much about them...

Edited by Anacybele

17 hours ago, Anacybele said:

16 hours ago, eclipse said:

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I think you can. I've seen pieces where comments were disabled. But yeah.

You can also make folders on Deviantart to separate your art in categories like FE or other fanart or animals or whatever. You also have a friends list to add other Deviants (members) to, a favorites section to put your favorite art from other people in, and a journal to post anything you want on, like life updates and stuff.

There are also groups you can join, like for example, I'm part of a group for the Ike x Elincia pairing and a group for FE spriting. I haven't been active in them for a long time though.

Really good artists also sell prints and stuff through the site! You could one day have t-shirts and calendars and junk with your art on them! I've not been successful here though...

If you pay for a Premium membership, you get even more benefits, but I've not needed them yet, so I can't tell you much about them...

I have a Deviant Art account that I made for looking at stuff, but I don't think I've uploaded anything.  I'd like a place to store my "art", but I guess I just thought DA was more of a place to put actual good art.  My stuff is more of a work in progress.  I'm not ashamed of it, but I don't exactly want to hang it up in the Louvre either.  I think I'll try Imgur for now, and might move some drawings to DA if they get to the point where I'm proud of them.

13 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I have a Deviant Art account that I made for looking at stuff, but I don't think I've uploaded anything.  I'd like a place to store my "art", but I guess I just thought DA was more of a place to put actual good art.  My stuff is more of a work in progress.  I'm not ashamed of it, but I don't exactly want to hang it up in the Louvre either.  I think I'll try Imgur for now, and might move some drawings to DA if they get to the point where I'm proud of them.

Never stopped Dragoncat from uploading her stuff there, but it's up to you in the end. :P

Paigeeworld is another website to think about posting art on.  It doesn't have folders or categories like DA but you can sort things through different tags.  People can comments if they want, but they have mods on there that check up and make sure things are okay.  Their are people of all sorts of art skill and styles.  They have whole sections of WIPs if you wanted to use those.  They have contests but they are completely optional. 

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Never stopped Dragoncat from uploading her stuff there, but it's up to you in the end. :P

I think I'll go ahead and upload some of my better stuff once I have time.

11 hours ago, Anime27Arts said:

Paigeeworld is another website to think about posting art on.  It doesn't have folders or categories like DA but you can sort things through different tags.  People can comments if they want, but they have mods on there that check up and make sure things are okay.  Their are people of all sorts of art skill and styles.  They have whole sections of WIPs if you wanted to use those.  They have contests but they are completely optional. 

Hm, I might check that out, thanks.

I made a few tweaks to my Jill.  Hopefully, this one looks a bit better.

TpJeqbA.png

Edited by Rezzy

19 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Hm, I might check that out, thanks.

I made a few tweaks to my Jill.  Hopefully, this one looks a bit better.

TpJeqbA.png

Let me know if you do! I'll be your first follower! 

She looks great!!! Good job tweaking it! 

1 hour ago, Anime27Arts said:

Let me know if you do! I'll be your first follower! 

She looks great!!! Good job tweaking it! 

Thanks, Est is sleeping in the room I do my drawing in, but I might have a chance to do some more tonight.

Here's my husband Nolan from Radiant Dawn.

rS1Sk2y.png

Comments and feedback is always appreciated.

Edited by Rezzy

I see that you keep practicing your ''Anna style'' drawing. He looks good.

Shouldn't the glove be the same brown color as his armor?

Also I'm not sure if you really needed to put the ''shadow thingy'' on his nose, Jill didn't have that.

I'm going to use that for reference for story Wolf

Edited by Nym

28 minutes ago, Nym said:

I see that you keep practicing your ''Anna style'' drawing. He looks good.

Shouldn't the glove be the same brown color as his armor?

Also I'm not sure if you really needed to put the ''shadow thingy'' on his nose, Jill didn't have that.

I'm going to use that for reference for story Wolf

Thanks, I guess since Tellius is one of my more favorite styles, it sort of gravitates towards that.

When I was looking at references, Nolan's gloves were a bit lighter color, although I might add more detail to the glove to make it less flat looking.  I did a bit of shadowing around the nose, since his nose is a bit bigger, and was trying to hopefully contour the face a bit.  It seems the lines on the nose are a bit shakier, looking back.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

This one's a bit older, but since Photobucket ate my old upload, and it was apparently a bit popular, I thought I'd repost it here. @Vaximillian@Oboro!@MrSmokestack

El5ujke.png

Feedback is appreciated as always.

I can't type properly because the shades are too powerful

im a afraid if I say more I might type the wrong cranberries in my burgers. There's really nothing else to say about this teacup!

• 3 months later...