Rezzy

Can you take screenshots of what you mean?

With scanning in pencil or pen, you're never going to get lines crisp enough to be able to use the wand tool and delete all the white pixels without doing touch-ups by hand.

I usually use different layers for different parts of the drawing when coloring. That way if I make a big mistake, or I don't like how something is looking, I can delete the layer without having to erase/undo whole parts of the picture. :)

I guess the white spots will just have to be something to live with for now. I'm trying to learn how to use the drawing pad, but for now, I'm still using pencil.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, there shouldn't be white spots, though?

Here's the same image in my example, half-colored:

20160706191350-497b6af6.jpg

I haven't gone over any of the original pencil lines; just colored underneath it.

Hm, there shouldn't be white spots, though?

Here's the same image in my example, half-colored:

20160706191350-497b6af6.jpg

I haven't gone over any of the original pencil lines; just colored underneath it.

Are you careful to stay inside the lines? When I do the fuzzy select, it's when it keeps the white spots. I could try coloring without it, to see if the white spots stay, just it would take a bit longer.

I zoom in, use the paintbrush tool to color in, and if I go over the lines then I just use the eraser. :)

Ah, you're more patient than I.

Imgur is acting weird and not letting me edit stuff. I went ahead and experimented with shading on Ophelia. Let me know how it looks.

[spoiler=Huge Ophelia]O2KbZLD.png

I only ever used gimp a little bit, but I suppose you could use some blur or the finger thing to even out the colors where the little white stuff appears...Maybe it'll look bad though I dunno. I merely am a bit bothered by the white stuff for some reason.
Also sorry its out of place but your signature intrigues me, why do you have hoshidan unity on your avatar when you don't have trigger skills?

I only ever used gimp a little bit, but I suppose you could use some blur or the finger thing to even out the colors where the little white stuff appears...Maybe it'll look bad though I dunno. I merely am a bit bothered by the white stuff for some reason.

Also sorry its out of place but your signature intrigues me, why do you have hoshidan unity on your avatar when you don't have trigger skills?

No worries, I just keep skills on my units for people to have access to for buying; they're not the skill builds I use for the most part. Hoshidan Unity is a nice skill for Conquest players to pick up.

Here's a cropped version of Ophelia. I think it looks a bit nicer with the shading, but I'll leave that verdict up to the experts. The smaller size makes the white fuzz a bit less noticeable. I didn't alter the necrocloud or book, yet, but only Ophelia herself. Does the darkening in the crotch look like proper shadow, or just like she wet herself? Ironically, I'm not a huge fan of Ophelia's default costume, but I figured it went well enough with the idea of minimal clothing to get anatomy down.

(Imgur is not cooperating at all, picture forthcoming, it will be the same as the one above, just smaller.)

Please let me know what everyone thinks. Feedback is always appreciated. I think I finally have GIMP figured out well enough, so thank you to everyone who helped, and I promise this will go back to being an art thread and not a Rezzy can't figure out GIMP thread.

Edited by Rezzy

Imgur won't work for me, so I did photobucket instead. Here's shaded Ophelia.

4e9cd65d-7382-487a-bda5-59486657b28f_zps

It seems to autoshrink it anyway, but any feedback is appreciated.

Imgur won't work for me, so I did photobucket instead. Here's shaded Ophelia.

4e9cd65d-7382-487a-bda5-59486657b28f_zps

It seems to autoshrink it anyway, but any feedback is appreciated.

I'm curious - did you use a reference for this pose? Because it doesn't look very natural or comfortable.

The best way to picture a pose, is to pose it yourself. Look in front of a mirror and pose what you have in your head - does it looks natural? Does it feel comfortable? I tried to mimic this pose just now and there's quite a bit of strain and uncomfortable tension in the right hip and knee.

I'm curious - did you use a reference for this pose? Because it doesn't look very natural or comfortable.

The best way to picture a pose, is to pose it yourself. Look in front of a mirror and pose what you have in your head - does it looks natural? Does it feel comfortable? I tried to mimic this pose just now and there's quite a bit of strain and uncomfortable tension in the right hip and knee.

Yeah, I was hunting for poses to copy, and went with one of Sailor Mercury as a base. Although it seems like anime characters aren't always the best for poses. I tried shortening the legs a bit to be more realistic.

[spoiler=Mercury used for reference]

zjljgldsfg.jpg

Edited by Rezzy

Yeah, I was hunting for poses to copy, and went with one of Sailor Mercury as a base. Although it seems like anime characters aren't always the best for poses. I tried shortening the legs a bit to be more realistic.

[spoiler=Mercury used for reference]

zjljgldsfg.jpg

In general, you should never use anime poses as reference because most of the time, the poses are heavily stylized and altered so it looks tolerable and good in the anime style. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by those poses don't get me wrong, but if you're looking to work and improve on your anatomy and posing, don't turn to anime for it - work from real life first.

The reason I say that is because when you work from real life, you'll be grasping the basics and fundamentals of how a body works, looks and functions from a realistic point of view. Once you have a good knowledge of the human body, you'll be able to work on your style a lot easier because the hard part of learning anatomy is out of the way and you can focus on developing a style. In art school, we call that Drawing Translation - before you can stylize something, you need to know how to draw it first.

In general, you should never use anime poses as reference because most of the time, the poses are heavily stylized and altered so it looks tolerable and good in the anime style. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by those poses don't get me wrong, but if you're looking to work and improve on your anatomy and posing, don't turn to anime for it - work from real life first.

The reason I say that is because when you work from real life, you'll be grasping the basics and fundamentals of how a body works, looks and functions from a realistic point of view. Once you have a good knowledge of the human body, you'll be able to work on your style a lot easier because the hard part of learning anatomy is out of the way and you can focus on developing a style. In art school, we call that Drawing Translation - before you can stylize something, you need to know how to draw it first.

Thanks for the tips. It can be tough to find good poses. Whenever I type into Google female sketch pose, I get mostly "sexy" poses, which I don't really have anything against, but it's not what I'm looking for.

For now, I'll try to find a pose from the unskinned anatomy collection.

Thanks for the tips. It can be tough to find good poses. Whenever I type into Google female sketch pose, I get mostly "sexy" poses, which I don't really have anything against, but it's not what I'm looking for.

For now, I'll try to find a pose from the unskinned anatomy collection.

I think this deviantArt page will help you out greatly!

http://senshistock.deviantart.com/

I use it sometimes as well :>

Your pictures remind me of like the old pastel glass paintings combined with a children's cartoon... Not gonna lie, it makes an effect that I can't stop loving.

Thank you! It's nice to see people like my stuff. I'll keep trying to draw stuff until people tell me to stop.

I think this deviantArt page will help you out greatly!

http://senshistock.deviantart.com/

I use it sometimes as well :>

Thanks, that should come in handy!

Time for despondent Flora...

FEFloraSketch_zps8khhsaco.jpg

All feedback is appreciated.

Ophelia wearing my clothes...

FEOpheliaSkirtSketch3_zps9bekrhx3.png

And the color version...

FEOpheliaSkirtColor_zpsrquh617f.png

Feedback is always appreciated.

Edited by Rezzy

I think the Micaiah one and the Ophelia wearing your clothes one looks great!

Thanks! My next project is trying to learn to draw on my new drawing tablet. It will hopefully make it easier to get rid of the fuzzy white/grayness around the sketch lines, which seems unavoidable when scanning pencil sketches. It will also make it easier to make alterations without getting a buildup of erase marks.

All feedback is always appreciated!

I quite like the new Ophelia in her outfit, she looks adorable!

I see you're using the fill bucket or magic wand to color in. Perhaps you should make a new layer set above the lineart with the style set to multiply where you can color over it and fill in those grey areas of the lineart so there's no awkward white/grey space between the lineart and color. Also, perhaps you can study hands a bit more by looking up references on google to get the right shape of the fingers and the like, since they seem too sausage shaped right now.

If you want your own adjustable references on body poses and anatomy, there's a really useful tool called DesignDoll where you can have an anatomical doll which you can adjust the features of including the hands as a reference when drawing. The free version you can do everything except you can't save poses for later, but the default works very well on its own anyways.

If you want your own adjustable references on body poses and anatomy, there's a really useful tool called DesignDoll where you can have an anatomical doll which you can adjust the features of including the hands as a reference when drawing. The free version you can do everything except you can't save poses for later, but the default works very well on its own anyways.

Couldn't you just PrintScreen the images of various different angles?

Well yeah, but if you want to fully customize things such as the individual fingers and how they bend, as well as the camera focus and stuff, it's pretty useful in its own right. I like to use a mix of both.

I quite like the new Ophelia in her outfit, she looks adorable!

I see you're using the fill bucket or magic wand to color in. Perhaps you should make a new layer set above the lineart with the style set to multiply where you can color over it and fill in those grey areas of the lineart so there's no awkward white/grey space between the lineart and color. Also, perhaps you can study hands a bit more by looking up references on google to get the right shape of the fingers and the like, since they seem too sausage shaped right now.

Thanks! Now that I think about it, Ophelia in that outfit and hair color looks a bit like me, apart from the eye color.

Well yeah, but if you want to fully customize things such as the individual fingers and how they bend, as well as the camera focus and stuff, it's pretty useful in its own right. I like to use a mix of both.

I'll have to try that. I'm always trying to find poses. Do you have a link?

I did some layering a tinkering to try to get rid of some of the white. Unfortunately, in more a problem with the pencil itself. It's a heterogeneous smudge of gray dots when zoomed in, and not a crisp black line. It's not serving as a sharp divide as I'd like it to. When I go over it with color when both sides are the same, it looks okay, but when there are two different colors, it's not as good.

Here's a little less white fuzz version...

FEOpheliaSkirtColor4_zpsboumklwj.png

Does that look a bit better? I appreciate the feedback!

Edited by Rezzy

DesignDoll is over here.

For the pencil thing, perhaps you can up the contract a bit to eliminate those grays and turn them into black/white? Using Curves or Levels should work. Or, you can make an alpha selection from the RGB channels and duplicate the lineart pixels, then using an opacity lock on that layer and coloring it in black to make it properly black and white. This works for me in Photoshop. What art program do you use?

The lines are overall better, yeah. Since you have a tablet maybe you can go over the lineart in a black pen digitally to strengthen it?

DesignDoll is over here.

For the pencil thing, perhaps you can up the contract a bit to eliminate those grays and turn them into black/white? Using Curves or Levels should work. Or, you can make an alpha selection from the RGB channels and duplicate the lineart pixels, then using an opacity lock on that layer and coloring it in black to make it properly black and white. This works for me in Photoshop. What art program do you use?

The lines are overall better, yeah. Since you have a tablet maybe you can go over the lineart in a black pen digitally to strengthen it?

I've been using GIMP. I do all the sketches in pencil on paper, then scan them. I usually increase the contrast to make the lines a bit darker, but it still has that smudgey appearance, unfortunately. I'll try to follow what you're saying, but unfortunately, your second sentence is a bit Greek to me. I think once I get the drawing pad down, I'll be able to trace over, but maybe I can follow your advice to darken the original lines, since tracing can be a lot of work.

One problem with the drawing pad, is that to get the natural dimensions of the drawing, I have to zoom in a lot, but then I can't see my whole picture, and without seeing the whole picture, I find it's hard to scale things properly. But, it's nice to see that people think I'm improving, so it should get better with time.