Gen 1 to Gen 2 Gender Mechanics Regarding Trading

Randoman

Does anyone know how genders are assigned to Pokemon traded from Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow/Green to Gold/Silver/Crystal? I mean, Pokemon from the former games listed don't have genders assigned to them, and I'm wondering what decides the gender of the Pokemon when they're traded over.

The only thing I can recall on that particular topic was me trading over the 3 starters, a few other Pokemon, and Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow to Pokemon Silver way back in the day. All of the Pokemon that were traded over were male except for the Nidoqueen.

It's also ties in with gender ratios. For "50%" female pokemon, females had an attack DV from 0-6, while males had an attack DV from 7-15. In GSC, the supposed 50/50 gender ratio was actually weighted slightly more towards males. "25%" female pokemon were also weighted slightly, though actually for females (0-4 and 5-15). 12.5% females had 0-1 while 87.5% males had 2-15, and 75% females had 0-11 while 25% males had 12-15. Obviously 100% female pokemon could go the full attack DV range of 0-15.

Edited by Konnor97

SHininess is also determined based on DVs in GSC, so you can trade a shiny pokemon to rby and back and they keep their shinyness. Held items actually use a byte in the pokemon's data that is set in RBY but never used, so trading does not cause them to get forgotten.

There's also a Ditto bug that lets you guarantee a Gen I Ditto will be shiny if sent to II, interestingly.

Another thing, Gen 2 Pokémon always had the same SpAtk and SpDef IVs. This is to retain compatibility with Gen 1 where they were one stat

Edited by Glaceon Mage